PDA

View Full Version : The Wolf Of Champman0102.co.uk (Stocks & Shares Thread)

Bevchenko
09-07-14, 03:02 AM
With us all knocking on with age now since being brought together through the love of the game, and most of us hopefully having a larger disposable income I am keen to know if any of our members are investing?

It is something I have always been keen to do and have been successful under my dad when I was younger (he invested my inheritance from my Grandad and saw a 100% return which enabled me to buy my first house outright).

Now I feel I have the disposable income to start looking at this properly by myself and would be keen to share advice with other members.

So is anyone involved in stocks/shares?

ebfatz
09-07-14, 09:04 AM
I place myself in the bracket of having very little to no disposable income so stocks and shares is the last thing on my mind!

Erkifino
09-07-14, 09:41 AM
I've got stock and stock options in the company I work for. Haven't a much of a clue about the stock market. Share price jumped last and has almost doubled my original investment though!

I figure Medical Care is one to look at but I would avoid Pharmaceutical companies though, but that's just my moral stance.

I remember looking at a company on the Irish Stockmarket called Minmet, a mining company. Shares were 1c, every now and again they go to 2c, then they took a massive jump to 26c then 37c and then it was gone. I figure the 26c price was based on they found something and 37c was some company taking them over. I regret missing out but it's a helluva gamble the aul stockmarket...

Redknapp69
09-07-14, 01:31 PM
I have a bi of disposable income to "dabble" but I'm usually risk averse so don't bother

A lot of my mates do it tho

But then a lot of them are Investment bankers in London so prob have inside info as well which helps!

Craig Forrest
09-07-14, 01:59 PM
I'm poor and broke and trying to finalize my separation, sell my house, and rebuild my credit...... I have 0 money to invest anywhere at the moment..... but I will in the future :ok:

AJ
09-07-14, 07:41 PM
I invested a shitload into a house and I invest in single malt whisky from closed distilleries.

EL-TOPPO
09-07-14, 09:50 PM
Sorry bud.. all mine has been invested into the nigerian lotteries :D

Bevchenko
10-07-14, 01:56 AM
Well aren't we all the budding millionaires :lol:

Craig Forrest
10-07-14, 02:59 AM
Well aren't we all the budding millionaires :lol:

Hey.... we can't all just pick up and move to Australia like you Mr. rich man :D

Bevchenko
10-07-14, 03:25 AM
:lol:

http://youtu.be/RubBzkZzpUA

Erkifino
10-07-14, 08:26 AM
Started from the bottom? Benny Bevan?!

Kingsley
10-07-14, 08:44 AM
I have a few stocks and shares, but only ones given out as bonuses from companies that I worked for. None of them are worth much thanks to banks crashing :(

What I would say is that I know a number of people who have lost a lot of money thinking that they know what they are doing and get it all wrong. If you are serious, get some professional advice as they probably know a bit more than you or I do.

Edit to add : I got an email last night from this guy telling me about a really good investment in West Africa. Are you interested ?

Bevchenko
10-07-14, 10:06 AM
Yeah PM me the email will reel another one in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovesanmarino
14-07-14, 02:27 PM
I work in stocks and shares, as a lowly admin guy, i'll add some notes here later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bevchenko
15-07-14, 05:06 AM
Top Man!

Redknapp69
15-07-14, 07:13 AM
Top Man!

Are they worth investing in then?! :)

ilovesanmarino
17-07-14, 11:21 PM
ok, so as you know a share is a small bit of ownership of a company. Any company that issues shares must follow various rules and stuff, like publishing details of their profits/loss in public. The share gives you the right to vote at the AGM and you might get a bit of share of profits (a dividend).

However, as far as ownership goes they are bollocks, because a billionaire will buy up 51% of the company and outvote you, what shares are are ASSETS, something to buy and sell.

Gordon Brown loved shares a lot. He thought that if lots of people bought shares, they would all be putting money into the system the companies would take that money and invest and stuff, thus the shares would grow. Companies would win, investors would win, the market always goes up in the long run, hooray!

the problem is, everyone is shit-scared of shares, and every time the economy does well, everyone turns into fools, pumping more and more money in, creating stupid bubbles, where people lose the link between the share as a tradable asset, and the reality of how much it is actually worth, and it all comes crashing down.

So Gordon invented something that already existed, the ISA.

The ISA was (yet another) way of getting the everyman to invest in shares. You would be allowed to invest 7000 into an ISA, and it would act as a savings account, but instead of paying a fixed rate of 0.00000000001% it would be invested in shares, so the potential growth was unlimited. Other than that, it was like a bank account, you could take money in and out. Oh and the big incentive, all the profits would be tax free! yay!

Oh, then he decided that he might as well, (grumble grumble) extend the ISA to non-shares, probably only to publicise them to get people to get to know the term and then invest in the holy grail of stocks and shares. You would however only be able to invest half as much (50%) into normal savings, this would still leave the remaining 50% for shares.

so as of that moment, everyone in the entire country closed their normal saving accounts and took out an ISA, as they were identical, but one was tax free.

or, actually we didn't 'cos we're all tits.

Anyway over time the government put the ISA limit up and up and up until the shart of this year when it was about 12,000 (allowing 6000) in cash.

As of 1st July, the duck-Islanders in power have just changed the rules, ending the seperation between Cash and Shares ISAs, and upping the limit to 15,000. So now everyone in the country can do this. Tax free, maybe someone will actually take one out now.

ilovesanmarino
17-07-14, 11:50 PM
So, rather than think the stockmarket is big and scary, everyone in the UK (sorry Johnny Foreigner) can invest in it tax free, the same as a normal bank account. if of course you have more than 15,000 lying about the place, then you can easily invest that too in a very similar account, it won't be tax free (remember the tax is only on the profits) but there is no upper limit. And as per a normal account you get online access to check the balance each day, can withdraw any amount at any time and stuff.
If you had invested the maximum amount every year in an ISA since they were launched, with no withdrawals, plus growth I would expect you to have 150,000 in there. What most people do is just take the 10,000 out of their normal savings and put it into the ISA first day of the tax year, that way they maximise the tax-freeness.
And if you don't have well over 150,000 in savings and can just move 10,000 across each year then...
...you probably aren't a customer of the company I work for!

ok, next bit, the actual shares stuff!

ilovesanmarino
23-07-14, 11:12 PM
sorry, sorry, I find it very hard to concentrate on one thing with my odd brain, I have been meaning to update this but had trouble trying to think the words in my head so they sound interesting.

So, so far I have explained that the option to invest in shares is in fact, open to everyone. All banks offer cash ISA, and most offer Shares, now they are merged of course, it will depend on who offers the shares option. the company/bank I work for only offered the shares option of course.

Now, directly investing in the stock market is very risky, and everything to do with investment is designed at reducing risk...but seeing as it is a global market, its all largely part of the same pot.

the main way to invest is in funds. A fund is where someone else buys and sells the actual shares, and you buy shares in the fund. The advantages of this are that all the fiddly buying and selling is done for you, you are free to buy and sell whenever you want. You can research the track records of the guy running the fund to see if he is any good, it means you are investing in many things, so if half the companies in the fund go down, the other half could go up.
The downside is the fund will charge a small fee, and you are less to get rich quick, (but less likley to lose everything)
Our service allows you to invest in any number of funds, more than 10 is considered lots and more than 50 a bit silly. Many people go for ultra-diversified funds and just have one.

the main things to invest in are
Shares - bit ownership of companies
bonds/gilts - companies and government loans (you loan THEM the money)
property
stock - physical stuff, like gold and diamonds

in all cases you are still buying into the fund, not the actual stuff, so it is just an asset like any other. This is why the price of property and gilt funds goes up and down, even if there is no actual buying/selling of the property or gilts themselves, it's how much they are perceived to cost.

the "market" are the shares, gilts and stock often do the opposite of the market (you invest in one or the other and swap when one goes down) property follows the market, but has its own influences

ah...

I just can't make this sound interesting :(

the aim is really, not to try and get 500% in a year, that is of course, entirely possible, but just to beat the (pathetic) rate the bank will offer you, that is much more easy.

the way to "beat" the market, is tricky, as there is always a slight delay in requesting to buy/sell and it actually doing so, but even if a fund is showing 0% growth, there will be fluctuations in value all the time, buy low and sell high and you can easily make money.

look, I'm sure I could give a lot more detail if anyone is genuinely interested and asks specific questions, but my brain is so utterly fried (both figuratively and literally due to the heat at the mo) that I could just ramble on.

Jesus
24-07-14, 11:21 AM
I'm not overly interested in buying stocks and shares but I'm always interested in reading how things works and broadening my horizons. Quality stuff as always San Marino.

Bevchenko
31-07-14, 02:43 AM
Keep it coming SanMan very interesting stuff.