PDA

View Full Version : Commuting

WelshRed
11-03-12, 11:08 PM
Yes, not computing...

Who has the privilege to commute to work by public transport (or car for that matter) ?

I have no license as yet, although I am in the middle of passing my test, so I am currently commuting to and fro work (only 8miles via public transport) but fuck me, you would think I was trying to climb Everest!

This morning I had to open at 10, the first bus was at 830, which arrived and left early! I am now on the way home, 10.46 was the train and I am only now aboard, as soon as I got on the train started pulling off! God help if there was an elderly lady trying to get aboard.

Long story short, Pembrokeshire has the WORST public transport EVER. It's archaic. Having been a season ticket holder in Manchester and travelled around the world with them the transport elsewhere is on the ball, granted, give or take the odd strike or rail work if they say 9.00, it will arrive at 9! Pembrokeshire are so far back in the times it's almost like living ten years behind the times! FFS, the government want us to use public transport (granted its in the city) but Christ on a bike, it's like trying to catch a wave.

Rant over, I would just like to know your positive and negative side to your daily commute....

Quote bevchenko on this one - "discuss" :D love you man!

Fods
11-03-12, 11:12 PM
I lived with a girl out of the city and had to travel an hour and half to get to work and an hour and half to get home every day, on a stinky train...best thing was the amount of clunge in Summer :ok:

Cafcjgreen
11-03-12, 11:13 PM
I live about a 10 minute walk away from my work so can't moan... On the negative side I have no excuse to miss work due to snow or poor public transport.

ebfatz
11-03-12, 11:49 PM
When I first moved down to Kent I was still working in Croydon, Surrey.
Nightmare journey.
On the train you had to go into London to go back out again!
Meant getting a 7:30am train with a minimum of two changes to get to work by 9.
The company then relocated to Crawley which was even worse and meant in the car travelling on the M20, M26 and M23 each morning during rush hour!
Horrible!
Neadless to say I didn't do it for long!

Dermotron
12-03-12, 12:01 AM
Start at 9, get up at 8:45, nice

Fods
12-03-12, 12:02 AM
Same for me now mate, work about 2 mins from home.

Am gonna nip home soon and watch United v West Brom :D

Patinoz
12-03-12, 12:28 AM
start at 2pm, get up at 1:15pm :D

btw welsh, have you lost your license or have you never done it? :shocked:

WelshRed
12-03-12, 12:33 AM
Never done it Pat, always had mates to drive which meant I could drink... Turning 30 with 2 kids it's about time I passed :)

I can drive, just not legally (at the minute :ok:)

Craig Forrest
12-03-12, 02:52 AM
I'm about a 35 minute drive from work..... thinking about moving to a place a bit farther away so it may go up to 45..... I used to take public transit when I worked in the downtown part of the city but that was a long time ago

info0
12-03-12, 05:28 AM
Wake up at 6am to get to work at 8am ;).

Almost 1hr drive by public transport to work with in between switch.

However, I like my job... So won't moan :P.

WelshRed
12-03-12, 07:03 AM
Intriguing, apart from chopping people up and putting them neatly under your patio, what is it that you do info0? :)

Dermotron
12-03-12, 08:32 AM
Careful, Ste's Dad mightn't like you taking the piss!

churky
12-03-12, 08:55 AM
It takes me 20 mins on foot to get to work. :)
So when I work the morning shift, I start at 7.25 am, which means I wake up at 6.30 am. Pretty good considering what would happen if I lived farther away.

merkezekrem
12-03-12, 10:07 AM
Work is 45 km away, have to drive every day for about an hour. Wish i had public transport so i could read :(

If I wanted to get to work by public transport, I would probably have to wake up at 6 and be at work at 11 :D

Mark
12-03-12, 10:33 AM
I live 5 minutes away from work by car :)

I didn't have a car for 13 months a couple of years ago so I used to cycle into work but I hated it so started getting the bus. Wasn't too bad in terms of times, I just hate seeing people in the mornings :lol:

Bevchenko
12-03-12, 11:05 AM
I used to drive to work when I worked at Nottingham "Double European Cup Winners" Forest, but now I am in the heart of the city I get the tram, which for 35 p/m cannot be sniffed at, also it is 25mins whereas a drive in at rush hour would take 45mins, on a weekend drive in (10mins) the only negative that there are some smelly people who like to sit near me :-(

Dermotron
12-03-12, 11:19 AM
Spray them with Febreze

AMC
12-03-12, 12:10 PM
Work 9-5 Mon - Fri but with commuting I'm out the house 7-7, needless to say I'm after a job nearer to me.

Patinoz
12-03-12, 12:46 PM
Wake up at 6am to get to work at 8am ;).

why does it take you 2 hours to walk across the room from your bed to your computer?

Janis89
12-03-12, 01:20 PM
why does it take you 2 hours to walk across the room from your bed to your computer?

:lol:

Janis89
12-03-12, 01:29 PM
I am currently not employed due to me refusing to commute with public transportation!

30-45 mins on a bus is not for me anymore , done enough public transportation for one life time....

It is cheaper and you can drink , that has to be the only positives , or if you like "shitchatting" with strangers who smell weird :lol:

info0
12-03-12, 05:15 PM
Intriguing, apart from chopping people up and putting them neatly under your patio, what is it that you do info0? :)

Top Secret :)

Dubinho
12-03-12, 07:41 PM
I've been working for 25 years and I don't think I've ever used public transport to commute to work. :eek:

My current work is a 10-15 minute drive away and it's a decent enough job. I can play CM 3 hours a day too without anyone knowing :D. The only downside is getting up at 4.50am.

Jotun
12-03-12, 08:17 PM
I've been working for 25 years and I don't think I've ever used public transport to commute to work. :eek:

My current work is a 10-15 minute drive away and it's a decent enough job. I can play CM 3 hours a day too without anyone knowing :D. The only downside is getting up at 4.50am.

I know that you are playing CM now. How much are you willing to pay me for not telling?

Dubinho
13-03-12, 05:18 AM
I know that you are playing CM now. How much are you willing to pay me for not telling?you'll never know when I'm playing CM, Jotun, because I'm never in one place. :wave:

Bevchenko
13-03-12, 07:40 AM
An absolute beast of a boar has sat next to today, I bet she stays on until the end too!

Fods
12-02-16, 10:27 AM
Just got a new job...

options are ....

1) Walk 10 mins, 2 x trains and 1 x bus (1.04 hours travel time)

2) Walk 10 mins, 1 x bus and 5 min walk (1.10 hours travel time)

Bus or train.......

Redknapp69
14-02-16, 12:19 AM
Option 1 has bus AND train?!

Option 2 sounds like a sleep/play champman/listen to music on bus

Fods
15-02-16, 12:29 AM
Exactly my thoughts, now someone needs to work out how to get champ on iPad else Im gonna be clicking away like a madman on clicker heroes.