Thread: The Revamped Tactic League

GFRay is offline Member of the Month
    Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash

The Revamped Tactic League

Introduction

Throughout the years there have been tactic testing threads on here that had the sole purpose of testing tactics and create a league table for them. It started when Airwick created the Open Tactic League that was run by more members after he left it. Jesus then picked up the responsibility and created the Alternative Tactic League which tested tactics more thoroughly, running 10x more seasons then the OTL did and using a different benchmark save. Sadly enough Jesus left and even though others picked up after him, it has come to a complete stop.

The tactics that were tested in the OTL were bundled into a tactics pack containing over 540 tactics! Anyone who's interested, you can download them here. There was no tactic pack created from the tactics submitted in the ATL unfortunately.

What now?

I joined this forum a long time ago, but merely used it to download patches, updates and tactics. Since this summer I've become an active member and started thinking how I could contribute to this amazing site. I decided to pick up the testing of tactics and create the Revamped Tactic League (RTL). The goal is to continue where the ATL stopped which means testing the submitted tactics and make a league table of the tested tactics. I also intend to make bundle all the tactics into a tactics pack that people can download from this site.

How does it work?

I'll use the benchmark .exe and save game that Tapani manipulated just like Jesus did in the ATL. This means that each tactic will be run 100 times. For anyone that's interested in the .exe, the save game and how to do it, I've put all the info you need under the spoiler below. All credits for this go to Tapani ofcourse!

Spoiler!

How to enter?

I will only test wib-wobbed tactics so don't bother submitting non wib-wob tactics since they won't be competitive. Also I will not spend time in testing existing tested tactics that only have a couple wib-wob screens changed in just one position. Those are just not worth my time. Post the tactic that you want to have tested below in the comments. I will then test it and put the results as a reply to your comment. Finally I'll create a spreadsheet which I'll update after each test that will be similar to the OTL spreadsheet.

(NOTE: I'm starting this from scratch so I will continue on the ATL table that was in this thread. This means that all the tactics that were tested after Jesus left are not in this list. Since many download links have expired it will be too much work for me to add them in. You can however re-submit them and I'll gladly test them! )

Current top 20

Spoiler!

The complete spreadsheet can be downloaded here.

ATL Tactics Pack

So far I've managed to get 36 of the 54 tactics that were tested by Jesus in the ATL. I've put the tactics that I still need here so if you come across any of them, you can submit them in that thread. The ones that I do have are available to download here.

RTL Tactics Pack

All the tactics that have been tested in this thread are available to download here.
    Last edited by GFRay; 17-11-17 at 09:25 PM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    This is very cool as long as you don't disappear like Airwick and the others did.

Of course the results are based on the save game and the players in the team. So if anyone uses the tactics with another team the results may be different. That is to say, Ultimatum may not be the best tactic for others. The effectiveness of a tactic is not based entirely on the tactic, but to a large extent on which kind of players are in your team.

Still, it's very cool that you are doing this!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Don't worry mate, I'm here to stay!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Alright to kick this off I've decided to test the top tactic in the OTL (IodineCF) and the tactic started the Iodine era (4141tapani iodine) to see where they stand in comparison to the ATL tactics. I've also tested a personal favorite of mine (4411 Ailton (Vik mod)) which is a very good tactic when playing against stronger AI tactics.

Results

IodineCF finished above 4141tapani iodine over a run of 10 seasons in the OTL, but when run over 100 seasons the latter tops the former. My personal favorite 4141 Ailton (Vik mod) came just behind IodineCF.
    Last edited by GFRay; 03-11-17 at 08:44 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    If this is where I must post a tactic, would you please begin by testing this tactic?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4ucwyu

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dilson84 For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dilson84 View Post
    If this is where I must post a tactic, would you please begin by testing this tactic?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4ucwyu

Ranked 22nd. Pretty decent tactic defensively, but can be improved on the offense I feel! Good effort though!
    Last edited by GFRay; 03-11-17 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    Can you test my tactics as well? There are three of them in the zip-file.

When I say "my" tactics I mean my personalised adaptations of various existing tactics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5osgn3l8yf...msami.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    Can you test my tactics as well? There are three of them in the zip-file.

When I say "my" tactics I mean my personalised adaptations of various existing tactics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5osgn3l8yf...msami.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

The 3-4-3 and the 4-4-2 performed rather poor, but great job on the winger tactic though!
    Last edited by GFRay; 03-11-17 at 08:43 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Please test this one as well. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj3dy9vrgf2deq7/NoAC.zip?dl=0

17. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Please test this one as well. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj3dy9vrgf2deq7/NoAC.zip?dl=0
    Mate, your download doesn't contain a file.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GFRay86 View Post
    Mate, your download doesn't contain a file.
    Oops. Here goes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ie0bel1iiv11gb/NoAC.zip?dl=0

20. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash

A 38th place and in every aspect worse than your Wingers tactic.
    Last edited by GFRay; 03-11-17 at 08:42 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well, that makes sense, I suppose. Of the four you have tested for me my wingers tactic is the only lone-striker formation.

That makes me curious about my other lone-striker formations. So if you would like to test those as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmnrl5a7q1...riker.zip?dl=0

24. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Well, that makes sense, I suppose. Of the four you have tested for me my wingers tactic is the only lone-striker formation.

That makes me curious about my other lone-striker formations. So if you would like to test those as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmnrl5a7q1...riker.zip?dl=0

The CF and the 4-4-1-1 perform well with a 14th and 16th place, but the 4-5-1 was poor to say the least. Below I've put all your tactics in CM Tac Tool to compare.

Last edited by GFRay; 03-11-17 at 08:42 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Shocking. The one-striker formations are 1st, 2nd and 3rd (all 61-62 points) and last (53 points).

I'll have to do my homework now

28. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can you do these last three as well? That's all I've got.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oj22o5hj89te21/Last.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can you test 3 favorites of mine?

361_antoka_bella_oslo: https://www.sendspace.com/file/vx6dre - made by me AND scemoka (31321)
    31231_attacico95: https://www.sendspace.com/file/9siai3 - with the right players this one will produce lots of goals!
    41311_norgebus: https://www.sendspace.com/file/4hwlet - based on the old Norge tactic. Strong defensive tactic

32. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicAnt For This Useful Post:

vCash

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Desp For This Useful Post:

vCash
    At the start much appreciate that someone(GFRay86) made more healthy here, Thanks

Im not so much on cm0102 now, but i will post my hard past work,cool....

Please test !

442 Hong Kong

http://www84.zippyshare.com/v/EpO3Hr7V/file.html

or

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3v0mde

36. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperStranger For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    Can you do these last three as well? That's all I've got.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oj22o5hj89te21/Last.zip?dl=0

Thanks!

The winger tactic did really well, just one place below 4141tapani iodine. The other two not so much.
    Last edited by GFRay; 03-11-17 at 08:41 PM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to GFRay For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great idea!

Forgive my naivety if I am wrong, is the 100 season test not based on Iraklis and Greek league ahead of Dutch and De Graaf?

The reason De Graaf was chosen as they had at least 2 players for every position and the Dutch league was harder to win than the Greek with stronger teams to face.

The ass man was also edited but not to too high a spec or that affected how he picked/changed things tactically on holiday.

The league and chosen squad plays a massive factor in how tactics perform in tests.

If it is Iraklis, it would be intresting to run the top 20 in Jesus's test in 100 seasons with De Graaf save to see how they differ.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam F For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Okay, so my winger tactics are my best tactics.

Thanks!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Tactics Mod
    UML Mod
    VIP
    vCash
    I was thinking to take the De Graafschap save and run 100 seasons, but it's mainly a time management matter. Running a season on the Greek save takes 12 seconds where running a season on the De Graafschap save takes just over a minute. Also Tapani provided a fully automated system and all I have to do after 20 minutes is collect the text file and do some spreadsheet hocus pocus.

I've tried running the De Graafschap save on 10 CM's parallel with the bench.bat file, but it makes processing even slower AND it renders my PC useless for anything else. So let alone that I run a 100 CM's parallel.

So yes I agree with your point completely, but sadly enough I don't have the time to do it that way.

I do have to stress that all tactics are tested under the same circumstances so it's a general indication of how good a tactic is. Like samsami already stated above, it matters greatly what type of players you use and playing in full play mode is very different than holidaying what I'm doing here.

In no way is this THE table that tells you which tactic is the best, but people should see it as a guideline for what tactic MIGHT perform well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam F View Post
    Great idea!

Forgive my naivety if I am wrong, is the 100 season test not based on Iraklis and Greek league ahead of Dutch and De Graaf?

The reason De Graaf was chosen as they had at least 2 players for every position and the Dutch league was harder to win than the Greek with stronger teams to face.

The ass man was also edited but not to too high a spec or that affected how he picked/changed things tactically on holiday.

The league and chosen squad plays a massive factor in how tactics perform in tests.

If it is Iraklis, it would be intresting to run the top 20 in Jesus's test in 100 seasons with De Graaf save to see how they differ.
    You should really test them with multiple save files to get an objective score.
    Not only Greek and Dutch League. And not only against default AI tactics, either!
    But that is virtually impossible.

Tis still gives a decent idea, I think.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I should add the De Graaf save and the original OTL was done after we had Tapani's iraklis save already.

If it takes a minute, from a purely out of interest point of view, why not test the top ten then, that is 10 minutes.I should add the De Graaf save and the original OTL was done after we had Tapani's iraklis save already.

It's all interesting stuff though. Sure if the great man is abiut he could alter it so De Graaf could run in 12 seconds and not a minute.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam F For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast