Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilization

vCash
    I'm making plans about the harder AI, a desert world with me Arabia and him venice or khukhukahalakahle

vCash
    I still play Civ 3 as my shitty computer won't play any of the later games.

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Civ III is the first Civ game I played. Stacking units on top of each other seems so alien now though after playing so much of Civ V.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    It's so strange how the universe aligns and basically tells you to do something!

I've been looking into the geography of the current middle east conflict lately (which inevitably leads me to looking at other geo-political hotspots) and I suddenly got a hankering to play some Civ II, which is easily my second favourite game after CM 01-02. Anyway, I decided not to start down that road as it leads from an innocent couple of hours setting up a new game to realising your sitting in your own filth and the crazy-house doctors are knocking down your door to get you to a facility for some more electroshock treatments because your employer has reported you as missing and your neighbours think something is dead in your house!

So having decided not to get head-zapped I thought I'd watch some telly and visit my favourite forum and what happens to be one of the top topics... Civ II!

Anyway, it's a fantastic game although I have to confess that I never got to grips with later versions, much like CM 01-02, I didn't like how newer versions became so much more complex. Call to Power is OK and I don't mind the odd game of that from time to time and I did give Alpha Centauri a go some years ago but I never really got along with it. What I would love is a proper update to Civ II, kind of like the data updates for CM 01-02. New advances, unit types, building types, wonders etc. but whilst keeping the look and feel of Civ II. Yes the graphics look a bit lazy compared to today's efforts but I still love it as it is.

Does anyone know if there is a downloadable version of the game that contains the movie clips for Wonders and Advisers? I miss those and the last time I downloaded it it didn't include them. I do have the discs but there was a time I played it so much that I think the laptop overheated the disc and it doesn't seem to work properly any more.

Anyway, thanks for prompting me to flush away another week of my life playing a computer game I absolutely adore!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trevorplatt For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I started on Civ 4 a few years ago, and thought it had good points but wasn't quite what I had hoped.
    Civ 5 however, is another story. I bought it a few months ago, and with all the expansions it's the best thing I've played, maybe ever.
    I sit down on a Friday night, and look up and it's Sunday night already, it's that good.

The improvements on Civ 4 are really impressive - they've analysed some of the things that were not-so-great about previous civ versions and improved them all. As Jesus said, there's no longer stacking of military units, so war is good clean fun.
    Brave New World is a really good expansion pack on the vanilla version, it adds diplomacy and a united nations factor, which can't be ignored.

Such an intelligent and immersing game.
    Last edited by bhnow; 14-10-14 at 05:54 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bhnow For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I downloaded the game via the link in the first post but it only works up to selecting your country, it crashes before I can enter my name! Very annoying.

vCash
    Well, I'm officially giving up. I've downloaded from several places, tried using some patcher but it doesn't seem to exist after installing it and tried a dozen other compatibility settings etc. but it just doesn't fucking work. Windows 8 isn't bloody helping either, piece of shit. I can't even find my fucking CD, even though it is a bit knackered I still wanted to try it - getting desperate and all that!

vCash
    You want to really run Civ II on Windows 8? Wish you luck. That OS is made for idiots with idiot proof "not to break" stuff in mind. Seriously, ever since I have first contact with that Operating System at work, I hated it. Even service tools didn't want to work on it. SERVICE tools available to SYSTEM administrators FOR GODS SAKE (well, won't deny, that for the first time, I wanted to hack this shit and break the system for fun xD).

That's how BAD this system is. Unfortunately, knowing M$ it will be like that with Windows 10 too. Lock out. Kernel not to be broken... So easily...

Windows 7 was spot on. In so many areas. Why did they move away from this is shrouded in mystery called Unity...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to info0 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Don't suppose anyone can help me get this to work somehow? Please!

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorplatt View Post
    Don't suppose anyone can help me get this to work somehow? Please!
    I don't know the ins and outs but look in to running it through VirtualBox. You'll have to do some research but it may be the answer.

vCash
    There is a solution! I finally found it. For anyone trying to play the game on Windows 7 or Windows 8 (or any other 64 bit OS - if there are any others???) you might need to apply the patch from this forum page:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215
    Goodbye free time!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to trevorplatt For This Useful Post:

vCash
    4:07 am, First game in nearly 3 years just finished in under 10 hours!
    God I love this game.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trevorplatt For This Useful Post:

vCash

He is back. He is still as awesome as ever . His reviews are always listing good/bad points and usually, many will agree with him .

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Me, Merk and my friend started a game of Civ V tonight, got to turn 110 before Merk departed.

Having a fantastic game so far, I'm Egypt, Merk is India and my friend is the Maya.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    We should continue this weekend

vCash
    I've been playing this and that kind to get the achievements unlocked. Won a game in Diety with cheating I made 1 opp and no civ states on a duel map and chose Venice as opp.

The game seems to be a race for discovering Artillery lately. Can't really attack a city before it and no city can defend against it after.

There are some interesting achievements like kill a unit with samurai with only 1 health left or convert 10 barbarans as germans and so on.

But the achievemnets about the scenarios looks impossible for me. I dont like to start a game in the middle of a civ. well. I'll get as many as I can

24. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post
    I've been playing this and that kind to get the achievements unlocked. Won a game in Diety with cheating I made 1 opp and no civ states on a duel map and chose Venice as opp.

The game seems to be a race for discovering Artillery lately. Can't really attack a city before it and no city can defend against it after.

There are some interesting achievements like kill a unit with samurai with only 1 health left or convert 10 barbarans as germans and so on.

But the achievemnets about the scenarios looks impossible for me. I dont like to start a game in the middle of a civ. well. I'll get as many as I can
    I went achievement hunting a while ago and got pretty far. I started by trying to get the achievements for winning with each Civ and I could achieve this in about 50 turns when played a duel map and rushing out catapults. I kind of burnt myself out though because I was just rinse and repeating the same strategy over and over and it took the fun out of the game. There are some crazy achievements in the list though, how you're supposed to know how many roads you've built is beyond me.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I just hope those will happen eventually. Anoying as it doesnt show the count

What I dont like is it doesnt count hot seat games. I play sometimes with a friend and can get lots of those.

We need to play duel online and let other (me) win sometime

28. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    OK, so this is where my inexperience with modern computing is causing me to be apprehensive...
    I've been looking at Civilization V but there are a few complaints on Amazon about something called Steam. Is Steam really required to play the game, does it cost any extra money and, honestly, is Steam going to piss me off?

vCash
    Is Steam really required to play the game, does it cost any extra money and, honestly, is Steam going to piss me off?
    Yes, no, and no.

Steam is a platform, a piece of software you install through which you install and play the game (s). It's free and not intrusive.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to churky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    And has great discounts from time to time. Nowadays I dont buy a game with sale lower than %75

It also helps to play online and add mods to Civ. Highly recomended

33. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Cheers guys, I've seen so many complaints I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort.
    One question though, if I don't have any wi-fi signal will I still be able to play the game or do I have to be connected to the net to play?

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Cheers guys, I've seen so many complaints I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort.
    One question though, if I don't have any wi-fi signal will I still be able to play the game or do I have to be connected to the net to play?
    I can't fault Steam, it's perfect. I actually prefer it to having physical copies. People are going to complain because they don't understand it. You can play through Steam in "offline mode".

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I dislike steam, because I roll like that.

vCash
    Here it is Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast