Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilization

316'sRegen Unattached

Civilization

Now up to number 5 in the series Sid Meiers' Civ games are legendary in their standing in the strategy game world

This will probably appeal to Champ fans as it's a game that takes a bit more thought and planning than your standard RPG/Shooter/Adventure games.

I fell in love with Civ2, the graphics look shit on it nowadays but obviously that ain't the main draw of such a game, the main draw is megalomania (another classic game of the same ilk). You can be a decent nation state and co-operate with your neighbours etc but where's the fun in that when you can build armies to smite them

From basic sticks and stones fighters you will work your way up through the ages and the various technologies, putting your scientists to work to discover advances in technology which can then be deployed as units or improvements to your cities. Launch a ballistic missile at a distant city, send out your engineers to build roads and railways between your cities, cultivate farmland to improve the productivity of your nation, Build a mighty navy or airforce to dominate the planet.

You can trade technologies with the other civilizations that are around, you can also make demands of them or offer them gifts. What type of leader you sre is up to you.

If you haven't played these classic series of games you have missed out
    CIV2 is available now as a free download so why not give it a try....

vCash
    hate it. tried the latest, 7 or 8 or whatever but i just really couldnt get into the system. not a big fan of round based strategy games. too complicated and too many options as a whole.

love real-time like age of empires or so. one map, a few different people. build up your economy and military and go for it.

vCash
    Yep.

Age of empires..

Genius...

316'sRegen Unattached
    Never tried that one, maybe worth a look.

If it's RTS though I'm a big fan of Command and Conquer.

vCash
    Civilization 2!!! happy days when I first played it I was addicted to it for several months. Every now and then I download it to play it again, although there is no more of that initial magic, it's still very entertaining. My nephew plays Civ5 and it has superb graphs now! but this version has such appeal to me, it's part of my genetic gaming mamory! other examples are Transport Tycoon, Sensible Soccer, The incredible Machine, Monkey Island and of course CM2 and 3 series

vCash
    Civilization IV was amazing. Civ V is God damn awesome too. Of course you must LOVE such games to appreciate the depth in it .

Haven't even played Civ I to III before firing up IV , but must do it for sentimental reasons .

Btw if you love strategy games try Total War series (well, those may not be for all). Awesome series where you will be immerged for months .

vCash
    I still Play Civ II regularly, still have the disc I bought in 1997!!!!! I still enjoy it immensely.

Easily the game I have played the most in my life. Well that and Cooking Mama......

vCash
    I've got the new Civilisation but could never really get into it.

The Iphone App of the full game is superb, really addictive

vCash
    Classic. Those kinds of games are worth your free time. They require a bit of thinking and planning which lead you to world domination. You don't have to use brute force in order to win, either. There are plenty of ways to become a dominate force.
    What more can you ask from a game?

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Found Civ 3 for $5 in a bargain bin at my local grocery store a while back so I picked it up..... decent game but I didn't get as into it as some others like the "Age of" series and the Total War series....

vCash
    I have CIV I and/or II lying around here somewhere. Liked it a lot but I doubt I`ll ever play them again.

vCash
    I'd recommend the Iphone App, I picked it up for free when it was on offer a few months back and it's an addictive game, easy way to kill a few hours away.

vCash
    civilization V (the latest) available for 9,99 € on steam

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash

Civilization V

Anyone in to Civ? I've developed a serious addiction to it over the past year and currently have 83 hours on record.

Currently experimenting with the Koreans due to their insane science bonus that they get.

vCash
    Have it on steam but rarely use the desktop and my laptop isn't good enough to run it...

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    Have it on steam but rarely use the desktop and my laptop isn't good enough to run it...
    Yeah it is a bit resource hungry but it's so worth it, the graphics are beautiful.

I'd recommend upgrading just to play it. Definitely got my money's worth.

vCash
    I play it from time to time, meaning when I start, I lose every moment of my free time on it for a week and then I stop for a month.

Great game, but you have to play it with the latest expansion because otherwise you won't experience fully what game has to offer. DLCs and expansions often mean comestic garbage nowadays, but in this case it can't be further from the truth.

vCash
    This game is serious time eater. Especially when you sit at 8PM and tell yourself only 1 round... Yeah... You end up when the sun is rising next day at 5AM .

Speaking of time hoggers, I found my love for Relic games again:

http://www.champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5009

I swear, RTS games, make you forget about outside world... Maybe that's why I don't play many of those .
    Last edited by info0; 05-05-14 at 10:53 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to info0 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'd love to play the very first one once again. I swear I had it on disc but can't seem to find it
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post
    I play it from time to time, meaning when I start, I lose every moment of my free time on it for a week and then I stop for a month.

Great game, but you have to play it with the latest expansion because otherwise you won't experience fully what game has to offer. DLCs and expansions often mean comestic garbage nowadays, but in this case it can't be further from the truth.
    This is definitely true, I was so impressed with the expansions for this game, completely changes the mechanics and adds some amazing stuff.

Do you have it on Steam, Churky?

316'sRegen Unattached
    Quality game.

I love how they have added "culture bomb" with the great artists, although it's the same effect as a great work was in 4.

When i get further on in the game it strains my old computer
    I had upgraded the RAM too, must be my GFX card is too old.

What are the expansion packs offering?

Also, have any of you tried the alpha centuri game, it's the follow up (getting to alpha centuri was always the tecnology victory)

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    I have Civ 3 but I never really got into it....

vCash
    It's more complicated CF. Civ IV and V became little more automated, but still going very deep. Seriously, time eater. You only need to play once to know it .

vCash
    I've got into the badges of this. Trying to win with different nations/map types/difficulty/map size/win type.

I'm usually turning off spys tho, that shit is driving me mad

I like the new tourism type of winning for culture instead of just getting some policies.

I dont know how i'll be able to win with deity and those hardness where the cpu gets help.

I never played online, altho we have plans with jesus for a year now Sometimes I play hotseat with a friend as a team, hardly finish a game anymore tho, takes too long and we get too drunk

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post
    I've got into the badges of this. Trying to win with different nations/map types/difficulty/map size/win type.

I'm usually turning off spys tho, that shit is driving me mad

I like the new tourism type of winning for culture instead of just getting some policies.

I dont know how i'll be able to win with deity and those hardness where the cpu gets help.

I never played online, altho we have plans with jesus for a year now Sometimes I play hotseat with a friend as a team, hardly finish a game anymore tho, takes too long and we get too drunk
    Plenty of achievements to be had on Steam, I have 42/287 (15%) at the moment. I've tried a culture victory but can never get the wonders in time. I'm currently playing on King, Diety is but a dream away haha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast