Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Key Attributes

vCash

Key Attributes

Hi everybody,
    I clearly remember reading something on this board (maybe a guyde thread, but could also be just bits on many threads) about how the game tends to level down the 20s, and also how is actually bad for a player to have high values on useless attributes.
    Did it go *poof* with the change of board or did I just imagine it? If not, may somebody be so kind to point me to where I can find it?

Thanks!

vCash
    To answer the topic:

Mental (Mental attributes)
    --------------------------

Adaptability (0-20) - How quickly he settles into a new country and learns
    the language, allowing him to be happy.
    Ambition (0-20) - Determines his drive to win trophies at the club.
    Determination (0-20) - His determination to be the best he can be.
    Loyalty (0-20) - His Loyalty to the club.
    Pressure (0-20) - His ability to handle the pressures of football and media.
    Profesionalism (0-20) - Determines his conduct at the club.
    Sortsmanship (0-20) - Determies whether he is a sportman or not.
    Temperement (0-20) - Determines how well he keeps his temper.

Player (Player attributes)
    --------------------------

All these are rated 0-20.

Acceleration - How quickly he can reach his top speed from a standing start.
    Aggression - How aggressive he is whilst playing.
    Agility - His ability to get back up when knocked over or when diving for
    the ball.
    Anticipation - His ability for reading passes and situations before they've
    happened so he can be in the right place at the right time.
    Balance - How well he stays on his feet when challenged.
    Bravery - How brave he is during play. How likely he is to put himself on the
    line in an attempt to win the ball.
    Consistency - How consistent his performances are.
    Corners - His ability for taking corners.
    Crossing - How likely he is to provide the perfect cross.
    Decisions - How likely he is to make the right decision when passing the ball
    to a player.
    Dirtiness - How dirty a player he is. How likely he is to foul someone.
    Dribbling - How good he is at running with the ball.
    Finishing - How likely he is to provide an accurate shot on goal.
    Flair - How likely he is to perform something out of the ordinary.
    Free Kicks - His chances of taking the perfect free kick.
    Handling - How good he is at catching and handling the ball. - GK's only
    Heading - How likely he is to provide an accurate header.
    Important matches - How likely he is to perform well in derby matches etc.
    Injury proneness - How likely he is to get injured.
    Jumping - How good he can jump to get up there for the ball.
    Leadership - His ability at leading other players and inspiring them to win.
    Left foot - How comfortable he is using his left foot.
    Long shots - How likely he is to provide an accurate shot from distance.
    Marking - His ability to follow a player and keep up with his runs.
    Movement - His ability to consistently take up good attacking positions.
    Natural fitness - How well he recovers stamina from match to match.
    One on ones - How well he performs in a one on one situation. [**Valid for gk's and outfield players**]
    Pace - His top speed.
    Passing - How likely he is to provide an accurate pass.
    Penalties - How good he is at taking penalties.
    Positioning - How well he keeps defensive positions.
    Reflexes - His ability to make last gasp reflex saves. - GK's only
    Right foot - How comfortable he is with his right foot.
    Stamina - How well his fitness keeps during matches.
    Strength - How strong he is physically.
    Tackling - His ability to make a successful tackle.
    Technique - His ball control ability.
    Throw ins - His ability to provide an accurate throw in.
    Versatility - How well he plays if forced to play out of position.
    Vision - His ability to see players in spaces and making runs.
    Work rate - How hard he works during the match.

vCash
    Hi Dermotron,
    thanks for the quick answer, but I was looking for something much more specific than that. Probably I chose the wrong thread title... :-)
    I remember someone going very deep in analyzing the cons of having, for example, a striker with hi marking.
    Does it ring something?
    thanks again

vCash
    bd's thread about nistelrooy and tsigalko became more like a general discussion around attributes. Might be what you were looking for

vCash
    Taken from Churky's Win Everything with Anyone

Players

All positions demand Determination.

On top of that...

a) goalkeepers need only Handling, and maybe Reflexes and Positioning, but it's not vital
    b) central defenders, fullbacks, and defensive midfielders need Positioning. Other logical things like Jumping, Marking and Tackling are nice to have, but not really necessary
    c) other midfielders need Passing and Off the Ball. Again, many other attributes can help, but you can focus on those two, especially in the lower leagues
    d) forwards need Jumping, Pace and Off the Ball
    There did used to be a thread you're right. Probabl left at the old place. Called 'Key Attributes' or something similar.

vCash
    To further that post Ebz

Vital And Desirable Skills

Goalkeepers
    A breed apart from the rest of the lads, the man between the sticks has his own specific areas of expertise and skill that you should look out for. Handling, reflexes and agility are all attributes reserved for goalies and it's these three skills that are the core of his overall ability. Good positioning, the ability to jump and good strength will also come in handy when your goal is under siege.
    Vital Skills: Handling, Reflexes, Agility
    Desirable Skills: Positioning, Jumping, Strength

Fullbacks
    A hugely demanding role. Today's fullback needs to have the pace and stamina to get forward and the skills to be effective when he gets there. Above all, though, he needs to excel at his defensive duties and have excellent positional awareness in order o keep the opposition's wide players at bay.
    Vital Skills: Positioning, Tackling, Marking, Stamina, Jumping, Strength, Heading
    Desirable Skills: Passing, Pace, Acceleration, Crossing

Centrebacks
    The traditional image is one of a lumbering clogger, hired for his brute strength and his ability to risk various parts of his anatomy in order to protect his goal. This is only part of the story, though, for while you'll find plenty of highly rated centrebacks in the lower divisions, in takes a lot more than brawn to make it as a stopper at the top level.
    Vital Skills: Positioning, Jumping, Tackling, Marking, Aggression, Strength, Bravery, Heading
    Desirable Skills: Stamina, Anticipation, Determination, Pace, Acceleration

Defensive Midfield
    These defensive players represent the engine room of your midfield and the anchormen that hold the side together. Attacking sides may look to play without these players, but lower division teams and those looking to break down the flair and creativity of the opposition will look for these guys to toughen things up in midfield.
    Vital Skills: Tackling, Strength, Aggression, Marking, Stamina, Work Rate, Teamwork
    Desirable Skills: Determination, Passing, Pace, Acceleration

Attacking Midfield
    This is where you'll be looking for creativity. These guys will demand the ball and pull the strings throughout the 90 minutes. They'll need to have the skills to break down the opposition, either through their passing or their own attacking instincts. They are among the most difficult players to find in the game. Treasure them.
    Vital Skills: Creativity, Passing, Off The Ball, Technique, Finishing
    Desirable Skills: Stamina, Work Rate, Teamwork, Flair, Long Shots, Pace, Acceleration

Wingers
    These guys are the mercurial entertainers who are in the side to provide ammunition for the forwards. The supporters will turn up in their droves to watch a winger twist and turn his fullback into the ground. But many teams, particularly at the lower levels, don't have room to support the traditional winger. These days a wide man is expected to toil for his own team as well as torment the opposition, so midfielders who can play on the wing or in the centre are often a good choice.
    Vital Skills: Crossing, Creativity, Dribbling, Pace, Acceleration, Balance, Technique, Passing
    Desirable Skills: Finishing, Long Shots, Teamwork, Work Rate, Off The Ball

Forwards
    Goals win games, there's no denying that; and for these guys banging one in the net is a priority. However, the modern-day forward can bring more to a team than just his finishing ability. Combining a natural goalscorer with a creative forward player can be a deadly cocktail that spells trouble for opposing defences, and goals galore for you. The real life examples are numerous - look at Beardsley and Cole, or Bergkamp and Henry. [dated, or what?]
    Vital Skills: Creativity, Finishing, Off The Ball, Dribbling, Passing, Technique, Pace, Acceleration
    Desirable Skills: Teamwork, Flair, Balance, Long Shots, Anticipation, Crossing

Strikers
    The goal machine. The man who can single-handedly decide the fate of the team. Without this fella banging the ball in the net all that lovely approach play is wasted. You want him in the box sniffing out goals, even if that's his sole contribution to the team effort. If you get a good striker, make sure they are not isolated - make midfielders support him and widemen feed him the ball and play to his strengths. If he has good heading and jumping ratings, modify your style of play to get the ball in high. If he's good on the ground or has good movement and creativity, consider short passes to exploit his pace and finishing skills.
    Vital Skills: Finishing, Off The Ball, Jumping, Heading, Anticipation
    Desirable Skills: Pace, Acceleration, Strength, Aggression, Long Shots

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Taken from Churky's Win Everything with Anyone

There did used to be a thread you're right. Probabl left at the old place. Called 'Key Attributes' or something similar.
    I guess we have a winner. I think "key attributes" is... well, the key.
    I saw that the VanNistelrooy/Tsigalko one has already been requested on the other board, I'll try to request this one too.

Thanks!!

vCash
    I take it, good heading and jumping would indicate a player is quite tall?

vCash
    Height aint really covered very well in CM0102. Tim Cahill is great at Jumping and Heading (possibly worlds best at both) and he's hardly more than 5'10 (1.78m). Crouch is tall but not particularly good at jumping (mainly as he doesn't need to).

vCash

Key Attributes

I've had a general idea of what attributes are needed for certain positions but I think it would be a good idea if everyone had their input so we can create an encyclopedia of knowledge. I'll edit this post with any useful information that anybody has to offer and will be collecting pieces of information should they prove useful or interesting (credit will be clearly given).

I'll start with something mentioned in the Open Game thread.

Originally Posted by 0102
    Jumping = maximum height reached!

If this is the case, it can be applied effectively to three positions: goalkeeper, defender and striker. I have excluded midfielders from this as I believe that midfielders don't necessarily need a high jumping stat, although it would be a bonus if the stat were to be high.

What I Look For

Goalkeepers
    Handling, Agility, Acceleration, Anticipation, Determination, Bravery, Reflexes

Defenders
    Acceleration, Tackling, Strength, Heading, Jumping, Positioning, Marking

Midfielders

Creativity, Crossing, Dribbling, Off The Ball, Pace, Teamwork

Strikers

Finishing, Pace, Jumping, Acceleration, Off The Ball, Technique, Stamina, Strength

This is just a general overview of what I personally look for. I would also like to hear your views on the above as well as positions such as Defensive Midfielders, Attacking Midfielders, Wingers and Forwards.

Hopefully we can have enough input and debate to help us come up with a comprehensive and helpful guide to people should they need it.

vCash
    What about Decisions? Where would you put it?

vCash
    I think decisions are most important for goalkeepers and strikers.

vCash
    You also forgot Positioning who also is again vital for a goalie.

vCash
    Decisions and Techinque are THE most important attribute for me when i sign players.

I prefer technically sound and intelligent players in my team, like Xabi Alonso for example.

vCash
    For defenders; bravery and aggression.

vCash
    The opening lists look pretty close to what I look for.

A couple of things that I can think of right now... I look for pace in my full backs. Depending on the tactic used, I might also look for a striker with good heading and jumping (if I expect to deliver a lot of crosses, for example).

vCash
    Decisions can be important for any position, but when a player has too many `best` attributes he is still likely to make wrong decisions. Like the strength of To Madeira was that he had few best atts - makes the decisions easier.

vCash
    Originally Posted by Blue Demon
    Decisions can be important for any position, but when a player has too many `best` attributes he is still likely to make wrong decisions. Like the strength of To Madeira was that he had few best atts - makes the decisions easier.

If that's the case, would someone who has the essential key stats outperform someone who has a high number of across the board?

vCash
    I`ve seen more than enough examples of that, yes.

vCash

vCash
    Originally Posted by Blue Demon
    I`ve seen more than enough examples of that, yes.
    I've just had a look at Tó Madeira's player stats in the editor.

To me, he has quite a number of stats across the board. Which ones would you identify as key?

vCash

I presume the point your making is that despite Wayne Rooney being rated 3 stars better by the ingame comparison feature, Aguero out performs Rooney in terms of average rating?

vCash
    You have to look at in-game attributes, as editor values will be influenced a lot by his CA when the game creates him.

vCash
    Originally Posted by Jesus
    I presume the point your making is that despite Wayne Rooney being rated 3 stars better by the ingame comparison feature, Aguero out performs Rooney in terms of average rating?

In terms of what people consider key atts, Rooney beats Aguero in most aspects. Should I should the 2 players at game start 99% of the people would bet on Rooney to perform best.

vCash
    As for To, his 15 CA related atts would be in line with 180+ CA. Now I`m pretty sure his CA was much lower than that so a lot of these stats will be dragged down to a much lower average than 15.63 (from 11 of the 15). In this process his position will be taken into account so I expect finishing to stay the top attribute.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast