Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Mental Health

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post
    How do you feel exactly when you're depressed, Baz?
    Oh goody lets open up completely.

I've been feeling low, feeling run down, been withdrawn, having trouble concentrating for periods, lost interest in things I used to enjoy doing, my sleeping patterns are totally fucked, I go from one extreme to the next with eating and i'm so snappy at times, and no I haven't thought about suicide, I have a family afterall.

What really frustrates me is I could be having a 'good day' then bam it'll all go tits up and throws me back to square one. I know it's early days and I know it's going to time a little bit of time for things to get back to normal so to speak, it's just hard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    and no I haven't thought about suicide, I have a family afterall.
    I wasn't indirectly asking about that, I was just wondering how it feels exactly...It could help to recognize signs of it on me or others if need be some day. :/

vCash
    I don't have the nerve to talk opening in this thread but.my hats off to baz and the others that have. You never know, there could be someone reading it that relates and seeks help.

vCash
    After yesterdays meltdown i've taken today off and have informed work that i'll be playing it by a day by day basis for the time being at least. They seem happy enough with that situation as long as my productivity when in work isn't too compromised, which is fair enough. Lets see what today brings.

Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post
    I wasn't indirectly asking about that, I was just wondering how it feels exactly...It could help to recognize signs of it on me or others if need be some day. :/
    Sorry Churks. What I get seems to be the 'typical' symptoms but there are more extreme versions out there so it may not be the same for everyone.

vCash
    Can u not work from home mate? If that helps a lot more companies are now open to that
    Or if it's just the whole work thing that's not helping you I apologise for my above suggestion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Can u not work from home mate? If that helps a lot more companies are now open to that
    Or if it's just the whole work thing that's not helping you I apologise for my above suggestion
    Not possible with this job unfortunately however i'm looking around for something different and less stressful.

vCash
    if u find something, let me know!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wato20 View Post
    if u find something, let me know!!
    Will do.

Signed back up to do surveys to try and keep my mind occupied so that'll bring in a bit of cash.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    i have been following this for a while now but tried to stay out of it since i don't share the opinion of most people and won't be of help for anyone here. be that as it may, i got a question now.

what makes one person depressive but not another?

let's say person a loses job --> gets depressive
    person b loses job --> is motivated to find another one etc., life goes on and all
    This is the problem that always comes of people who either don't understand depression, or simply don't want to. There is a monumental difference between being depressed and suffering with depression. Everyone gets depressed once in a while, that's just an unfortunate consequence of day-to-day life. The difference is, when you're suffering with depression, it cannot be shrugged off just like that! In a lot of cases it's caused by the body's inability to produce enough of the necessary chemicals to raise your mood again after a low, in some cases it's simply down to not knowing how to cope with it or how to pick yourself up, and when you're surrounded by cynical, sniping, unpleasant and negative influences, it's all too easy to allow a depressive mood to become the norm, that's when it becomes difficult.

I do despair of peoples' ignorance sometimes. I remember a few of my family having this conversation a few years ago after a BBQ and a few drinks, this is back when I was on the antidepressants the first time round myself, and my dad's exact words were "people who are depressed should get over it and get on with their lives", which just typified the kind of ignorance that, even these days, is all too common. Now I can understand that depression is a difficult thing to fully understand if you've never suffered with it yourself, but as I said, all too many people simply don't want to understand.

vCash
    If Pat didnt want to understand he wouldnt get involved. I can relate to his views, it`s hard to understand what depression is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Demon View Post
    If Pat didnt want to understand he wouldnt get involved. I can relate to his views, it`s hard to understand what depression is.
    Think that's common to be fair, all mental illnesses are hard to understand in a way. Someone once said to me that anxiety and depression is a class thing, the better quality of life you have the less likely you are to be mentally ill, well that's bollocks isn't it?

I can fully understand that people who haven't lived with it can't understand what it is but when people just dismiss it, that's when problems arise.

Here's a quote from a website:

What is Depression

The word 'depression' is used to describe everyday feelings of low mood which can affect us all from time to time. Feeling sad or fed up is a normal reaction to experiences that are upsetting, stressful or difficult; those feelings will usually pass.

If you are affected by depression, you are not 'just' sad or upset. You have an illness which means that intense feeling of persistent sadness, helplessness and hopelessness are accompanied by physical effects such as sleeplessness, a loss of energy, or physical aches and pains.

Sometimes people may not realise how depressed they are, especially if they have been feeling the same for a long time, if they have been trying to cope with their depression by keeping themselves busy, or if their depressive symptoms are more physical than emotional.

Here is a list of the most common symptoms of depression. As a general rule, if you have experienced four or more of these symptoms, for most of the day nearly every day, for over two weeks, then you should seek help.

Tiredness and loss of energy
    Persistent sadness
    Loss of self-confidence and self-esteem
    Difficulty concentrating
    Not being able to enjoy things that are usually pleasurable or interesting
    Undue feelings of guilt or worthlessness
    Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness
    Sleeping problems - difficulties in getting off to sleep or waking up much earlier than usual
    Avoiding other people, sometimes even your close friends
    Finding it hard to function at work/college/school
    Loss of appetite
    Loss of sex drive and/ or sexual problems
    Physical aches and pains
    Thinking about suicide and death
    Self-harm

vCash
    Been to the docs, my 'rating' has gone from 14 points to 9 points in 3 weeks, so doc is pleased with that but wants me to double my dosage for the next fortnight to see if I can handle them. Though he has said if the side effects get too bad take two one day then one the next. I will beat you sodding depression!

vCash
    Good man baz!

vCash
    I can relate to a lot that has been said in this thread having been diagnosed with Type 2 Bipolar Disorder 5 years ago after a mental breakdown I suffered during my college days. It's still a struggle at times but I've been in my best health since the I had the diagnosis given to me in the past 6 months. My sport keeps me going and my clubmates have been great in helping me out during those difficult times.

vCash
    Just to update people on this, i'm feeling much better now the medication has kicked in to full force. I've been upped to 40mg a day of Prozac which has settled me greatly, so I hope to be weened off the meds when I have my next review next month. Hope everyone else who is suffering with a mental health issue is doing well.

vCash
    Proof that money ain't gonna solve all problems:

'Leave me alone to live the rest of my life’ - Former Manchester City star Michael Johnson reveals inner demons

The 24-year-old once tipped to become an England international has hinted that mental illness may have played a role in his failure to fulfil his potential at the Etihad Stadium

Michael Johnson has hinted that mental health illness may have played a role in his failure to fulfil his potential at Manchester City, and pleaded with the media and the public to leave him in peace.

The 24-year-old broke on to the Premier League scene in 2006 and quickly became tipped for an England call-up following a string of impressive displays.

However, after injury problems and weight issues the Manchester-born midfielder's career now appears to be over after City decided to pay out the remainder of his contract, which was due to expire this summer.

"I am more disappointed than anyone but that’s the way it goes," Johnson told The Manchester Evening News.

"I have been attending the Priory Clinic for a number of years now with regard to my mental health and would be grateful if I could now be left alone to live the rest of my life."

Johnson had often been compared to Manchester City legend Colin Bell during his spell at the club, and the former England international admits he is disappointed with the way the 24-year-old's career has panned out.

"It’s a terrible shame," he added. "It’s hard to accept when your career ends early and for his to end at his age will be really difficult to take."

Johnson made 27 appearances for Manchester City and scored two goals, making his last appearance as a substitute against Scunthorpe in the League Cup in 2009.

He also made seven appearances during an unsuccessful loan spell at Leicester City last season.

vCash
    Looked a quality player in his time as well

vCash
    thanks to the OP for this thread. Big Eye Opener.

vCash
    I also suffer from Depression & Anxiety, it so hard to face the day sometimes, I am on medication, I have been diagnosed for nearly 5 years now

vCash
    How are all you stress heads coping lately?

316'sRegen Unattached
    there's this synthetic smoke called magic dragon, i use it to keep me balanced

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Probably safer to smoke the real stuff no?

but smoking any kind of weed (real or not) can have negative consequences to those who suffer from depression and other mental illnesses

vCash
    I'm good, meds have been lowered hopefully will be off them totally in a few months

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Baz For This Useful Post:

316'sRegen Unattached
    probably is safer mate, these new synthetic ones are almost trippy rather than a stoned feeling, i been smoking for years often wonder how many on here take the odd joint.

vCash
    you and you alone Chris

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast