Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 525

Thread: Mental Health

  1. #1
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    Torfaen
    Posts
    3,694
    vCash
    3775

    Mental Health

    For those few about the shoutbox earlier may have seen a brief conversation on Mental Health between a few of us, mainly myself, cam, churky and russo.

    I know it's a bit of a taboo subject at times, and many, many people just brush it under the carpet but as Churky rightly stated, undiagnosed depression can lead to serious consequences.

    I'm happy to admit i've had a history of anxiety disorders but having depression, which i've been diagnosed with today, is totally new to me. Been given 'happy pills' the generic prozac if anyone is wondering, and have been referred on to the mental health team at the local health board, however long that may well take.

    I'll probably end up using this thread to document my journey but please hijack it with questions or if you're a sufferer too then join in the more the merrier, it really is time to stop making this a taboo topic, especially amongst men.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baz For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    852
    vCash
    500
    Although we're just online friends, I'm sure there are enough of us here ready to help you in whatever way we can. Judging from Facebook, you seem to have a happy family who will be your greatest support, but you can rely on us as well.
    I think documenting your progress and your thoughts will help you along the way, as well as the rest of us sharing our experiences with anxiety/depression/generally bad mood over longer period of time.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    2,566
    vCash
    5200
    My mate's sister suffers from mental health issues and has written a few books about it Baz.

    Here is her web page.

    http://www.thecairn.com/





  5. #4
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    3,367
    vCash
    23613
    Don't have to much interaction with you Baz but fair play to you for bringing up the subject! I hope this helps you somewhat to get where you need to be and if they are others suffering, hopefully they'll be encouraged to speak about. To be honest, I'm lucky and I know I am, the worst "issues" I'd ever had was just teenage angst. It's ridiculous though how many people I know who are on Prozac, but I've always felt, maybe in my ignorance, that doctors can be a bit quick to dish it out. All the best mate!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Erkifino For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    Torfaen
    Posts
    3,694
    vCash
    3775
    I had to do that silly little test too, forgot to mention that, no idea how they get a 'depression rating' from answering 8-10 questions then using a total, bit confusing that is.

    Erk, with regards to the Prozac dishing out, from what I understand that's the starting point for anti depressants, if you need higher strength stuff then they'll boost you up or change your medication.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    6,708
    vCash
    28870
    Same as above.
    Not really much interaction with you. Apart from you beating me to best defender in AYTN.
    But seriously if you need a sounding board, feel free to use us as there are more than enough people around here to have a serious conversation with if needed.

    My missus has been on the pills lately. They weren't prozac though. Can't remember what they were called. It's not a nice situation by any means but they certainly helped her out a bit so hopefully, at some point soon, there will be light at the end of the tunnel and you feel a bit better.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    3,367
    vCash
    23613
    I just meant that they seemed very quick to offer medication as opposed to counselling, but as I said it's probably my ignorance on the subject.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    18-12-11
    Location
    On the oche
    Posts
    2,897
    vCash
    10736
    We did have a discussion on this topic a while back with various opinions, not all good :8-[:


    Glad you have the balls to tackle it head-on mate My mum was diagnosed with Clinical Depression about 3 years ago........ she'd just been made redundant from a job of 20+ years and was struggling to get back into the workforce. She finally got a job at a care home but just couldnt cope with it at all and basically had a breakdown. She too was prescribed some pills and a few weeks later seemed a lot happier! Got a new job soon after and has been fine ever since

    Good luck on your journey Baz, talking about it is a good thing :tup:

  11. #9
    Join Date
    03-03-12
    Posts
    13,036
    vCash
    6164
    I wish you well Baz

    Pob lwc

  12. #10
    Join Date
    06-03-12
    Posts
    158
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Erkifino View Post
    I just meant that they seemed very quick to offer medication as opposed to counselling
    Therein lies the main issue, and it's something I have a big problem. I've been diagnosed with depression on more than one occasion. I had it at its worst about 10 years ago, the docs prescribed me some random anti-depressants without really asking many questions, it was a case of "I'm depressed", "Ok, here, take these tablets". They didn't do me any good, so when I went back to the docs, they changed me onto different medication, and to say they didn't work either would've been an understatement, all the second type did was make me gradually worse, to the point that they very nearly pushed me over the edge. It was only after I was on the verge of ending it all that they finally took my probelm seriously, got some proper understanding of my condition and got me the help I really needed, which was counselling. That had a profound effect on me, took a massive weight off my shoulders and gave me a sense of freedom to carry on my life without feeling burdoned.

    The problem is, you can treat depression, but it will never, ever go away completely. Even after I'd finished my counselling sessions and could see light at the end of the tunnel again, there was still always that little niggle, that little bit of depression waiting to be triggered again, and for the most part I managed to keep it at bay almost completely. It started getting to me again last year while I was looking after my baby son. I'd given up work altogether to care for him full-time after my wife's maternity leave was up so she wouldn't have to sacrifice her career, and the feeling of isolation, along with the gradual breakdown of my marriage, started to bring it all back again, and I was struggling badly. Eventually, a short while after I left my wife, I bit the bullet and went back to the doctors about it. I hate the idea of being on anti-depressants, especially when it seems to be so casually prescribed to everyone without any attempt to understand the root causes of depression first, but I needed some help coping, so I did what I had to.

    I've since managed to wean myself off the medication again, so I don't become dependent on it, and I'm coping ok at the moment, I'm in a new relationship with a woman who makes me happy, I've got a decent, steady job again and I'm looking to the future, but it's still there, it's always in the back of my mind, waiting for its chance. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt anti-depressants are exactly what some people need, and it can help a lot of the time, but I do strongly believe that the key to overcoming it long-term is getting to the bottom of the root-cause and, where possible, removing yourself from as much negativity as possible. The world's too full of people who either don't understand, or just don't want to, and are far too content to verbally cut you down to size just to make themselves feel better. I'm looking at doing a psychology course on the Open University as soon as I can afford to get started, so I can become qualified and work towards being able to help others who have been through what I have. Understanding is the way forward, it'll never cure depression completely, because I don't believe anything will, but understanding why makes it so much easier to manage and cope with so it doesn't drag you down to the point of suicide.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Spudiator For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Join Date
    15-12-11
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    499
    vCash
    500
    Thanks for that Spud. I was about to post the question about what depression actually is, aside from feeling depressed. You explained it very well imo.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    Torfaen
    Posts
    3,694
    vCash
    3775
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    I wish you well Baz

    Pob lwc
    Diolch yn fawr.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spudiator View Post
    Therein lies the main issue, and it's something I have a big problem. I've been diagnosed with depression on more than one occasion. I had it at its worst about 10 years ago, the docs prescribed me some random anti-depressants without really asking many questions, it was a case of "I'm depressed", "Ok, here, take these tablets". They didn't do me any good, so when I went back to the docs, they changed me onto different medication, and to say they didn't work either would've been an understatement, all the second type did was make me gradually worse, to the point that they very nearly pushed me over the edge. It was only after I was on the verge of ending it all that they finally took my probelm seriously, got some proper understanding of my condition and got me the help I really needed, which was counselling. That had a profound effect on me, took a massive weight off my shoulders and gave me a sense of freedom to carry on my life without feeling burdoned.

    The problem is, you can treat depression, but it will never, ever go away completely. Even after I'd finished my counselling sessions and could see light at the end of the tunnel again, there was still always that little niggle, that little bit of depression waiting to be triggered again, and for the most part I managed to keep it at bay almost completely. It started getting to me again last year while I was looking after my baby son. I'd given up work altogether to care for him full-time after my wife's maternity leave was up so she wouldn't have to sacrifice her career, and the feeling of isolation, along with the gradual breakdown of my marriage, started to bring it all back again, and I was struggling badly. Eventually, a short while after I left my wife, I bit the bullet and went back to the doctors about it. I hate the idea of being on anti-depressants, especially when it seems to be so casually prescribed to everyone without any attempt to understand the root causes of depression first, but I needed some help coping, so I did what I had to.

    I've since managed to wean myself off the medication again, so I don't become dependent on it, and I'm coping ok at the moment, I'm in a new relationship with a woman who makes me happy, I've got a decent, steady job again and I'm looking to the future, but it's still there, it's always in the back of my mind, waiting for its chance. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt anti-depressants are exactly what some people need, and it can help a lot of the time, but I do strongly believe that the key to overcoming it long-term is getting to the bottom of the root-cause and, where possible, removing yourself from as much negativity as possible. The world's too full of people who either don't understand, or just don't want to, and are far too content to verbally cut you down to size just to make themselves feel better. I'm looking at doing a psychology course on the Open University as soon as I can afford to get started, so I can become qualified and work towards being able to help others who have been through what I have. Understanding is the way forward, it'll never cure depression completely, because I don't believe anything will, but understanding why makes it so much easier to manage and cope with so it doesn't drag you down to the point of suicide.
    Totally understand that. Going through anxiety I learned it's all about coping with it as it is a natural reaction that your body has to things, so it's about learning techniques that are useful to you in that situation. With regards to he medication I do have my qualms about the medication but i'm willing to give it a go if it helps with the lowness I am feeling then it's all good. To be honest I am a firm believer in the work of the psychologists and that may well help me more than the medication will by the time it all kicks in, but i'm open to everything at the moment.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    6,708
    vCash
    28870
    Sertraline was the ones my missus was on.
    She took herself off them in the end. Felt she didn't need them anymore.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    3,174
    vCash
    13450
    Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant

    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional

    There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle - Albert Einstein.

    You are not in this world to live up to other people’s expectations, nor should you feel the world must live up to yours

    Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means that you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.

    If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill.

    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce

  18. #15
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    Torfaen
    Posts
    3,694
    vCash
    3775
    Some insightful quotes there Wato

    Have to say today hasn't been too bad as i've been kept busy doing various things throughout the day, had a good chat with my boss who is still insistent that I stay off work until Tuesday, which i'm not going to argue with guess i'm lucky to have a decent boss. However I did find myself starting to lose it in Asda with impatient people, but I put that down to being fed up with idiots who have no manners and think their a law into themselves!

    Lets see what tomorrow brings

  19. #16
    Join Date
    28-10-11
    Posts
    433
    vCash
    1500
    Nice one Baz, it shouldn't be a taboo subject at all - but it clearly is. I mean we are in 2012, and it's only now becoming more apparent. There are more and more high profile people being diagnosed and facing this head on, which is great and will help people going forward.

    My mother in law and my wife both suffer with anxiety and depression. It all started with my first born, and unless you are faced with the situation you don't really understand it - which was the hard part for me. Now 4 years on and my wife still has "bad days" but she can look back and see what she's been through and how she combated it with very little medication and a lot of talking.

    :tup: for this thread, will hopefully enlighten people as to what depression actually is...

  20. #17
    Join Date
    04-03-12
    Posts
    1,777
    vCash
    0
    Depression is a horrid thing to suffer with, Its something that cannot be physically seen by others (inc doctors) and therefore quite often gets dismissed as being a real problem. I have been told by friends previously that I am a liar because I dont let it show while I am around them but I do suffer with it and have done for years. I have been to counselling a few times, but always seem to just go back over things time and time again. Yes sometimes it can help, but then there are times where I wonder why the fuck I went. Coupled with the medication I take I had not been as bad for about a year or so, until just before christmas just gone when I was again struck down by a long standing back problem and on top of that I also started suffering with panic attacks and anxiety. To be out in public and suddenly start to panic for no apparent reason wasn't a nice thing to experience, and while my medication has now been increased to help combat this I still get times when its extremely uncomfortable to be outside.

    I really hope for your sake that you are able to learn to cope and deal with the depression, and talking about it with others that understand what you are going through certainly will help you in the long run. Good luck mate

  21. #18
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    Torfaen
    Posts
    3,694
    vCash
    3775
    Anxiety is probably the biggest bug bear of the lot isn't it? At least with just feeling down and upset you could still physically get up and drag yourself out for a little bit, but if you're getting anxiety attacks with it, it just cripples you big time as they are horrible to have in public, even more so if you feel like you're going to pass out at any second due to the attacks. I have total sympathy there Toppo, when my anxiety levels were at their worst I couldn't be anywhere other than in my comfort zone, so going out to do basic things I used to dread, however thankfully I learned how to deal with the anxiety issues, and i'm really hoping it doesn't show its ugly head whilst sorting through the depression, but it's normally a double whammy isn't it?

  22. #19
    Join Date
    30-07-12
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    22
    vCash
    500
    Just 3 weeks ago, one of my friends ended his life due to ongoing depression. I didn't even know he'd ever been diagnosed 'depressed', and his family said he'd said before ending his own life when he felt the time was right, which I guess was one week before his 31st birthday. It's a shame I had to find out today on my birthday how he ended his life, previously not wanting to know.

    Not that this is about me of course. But it's a very real thing which the majority are usually quick to just sweep under the carpet and dismiss. If anyone has even the slightest doubt about their life, there are numbers you can ring. Talk to someone, you CAN get help for it.

    RIP Nathan Wills

  23. #20
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    WATING FOR 10 IN A ROW
    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    5297
    Depression is not a sign of weakness, far from it in fact. It is a sign that you have been strong for too long.

  24. #21
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    Torfaen
    Posts
    3,694
    vCash
    3775
    Sorry to hear that Deej. I had a mate that committed suicide a few years back, the worst thing about that was his girlfriend at the time was pregnant with his baby. Nobody knew he was depressed or down about anything, his flatmate just found him hanging one day out of the blue.

    I don't want this thread to turn into something all about me, if anyone else wants to share their problems then do so, we may learn something from eachother in the long run.

  25. #22
    Join Date
    04-03-12
    Posts
    1,777
    vCash
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Anxiety is probably the biggest bug bear of the lot isn't it? At least with just feeling down and upset you could still physically get up and drag yourself out for a little bit, but if you're getting anxiety attacks with it, it just cripples you big time as they are horrible to have in public, even more so if you feel like you're going to pass out at any second due to the attacks. I have total sympathy there Toppo, when my anxiety levels were at their worst I couldn't be anywhere other than in my comfort zone, so going out to do basic things I used to dread, however thankfully I learned how to deal with the anxiety issues, and i'm really hoping it doesn't show its ugly head whilst sorting through the depression, but it's normally a double whammy isn't it?

    It certainly is a double whammy, although the one way I have found I can cope going out is through music on my MP3 player.. Volume up and zone out away from everyone!

    In time I guess I will learn other ways of coping, but for the moment this works just fine


    On a sidenote.. Back nearly 9 years ago I did try and take my own life.. I was at my lowest of lows, homeless, Family not speaking to me, Had to give up my job as couldnt keep myself clean and tidy for work. So one day while blind drunk I did the stupid thing of trying to do myself in, I was seen by someone who notified police who then sectioned me at the local mental hospital for my own good. 48hrs in there made me realise I wasnt insane, I saw a doctor got medication and arranged my first counselling session. Bumped into old friends who gave me a sofa to sleep on for 3 nights of the week and I slept on another friends sofa the other 4 days so as to not get them into trouble with housing people. Needless to say that was the turning point in my life, I have never attempted something like that again
    Last edited by EL-TOPPO; 23-08-12 at 05:56 PM.

  26. #23
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Posts
    852
    vCash
    500
    At least you found out how your true friends are.

  27. #24
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    Torfaen
    Posts
    3,694
    vCash
    3775
    Quote Originally Posted by EL-TOPPO View Post
    It certainly is a double whammy, although the one way I have found I can cope going out is through music on my MP3 player.. Volume up and zone out away from everyone!

    In time I guess I will learn other ways of coping, but for the moment this works just fine


    On a sidenote.. Back nearly 9 years ago I did try and take my own life.. I was at my lowest of lows, homeless, Family not speaking to me, Had to give up my job as couldnt keep myself clean and tidy for work. So one day while blind drunk I did the stupid thing of trying to do myself in, I was seen by someone who notified police who then sectioned me at the local mental hospital for my own good. 48hrs in there made me realise I wasnt insane, I saw a doctor got medication and arranged my first counselling session. Bumped into old friends who gave me a sofa to sleep on for 3 nights of the week and I slept on another friends sofa the other 4 days so as to not get them into trouble with housing people. Needless to say that was the turning point in my life, I have never attempted something like that again
    A friend of my attempted to take his own life back in Cardiff a few years ago, luckily for him, the car park he choose as his destination to jump off had high wires on the top level which put paid to his plans. Thankfully he got the proper help after being sectioned too.

  28. #25
    Join Date
    02-03-12
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    170
    vCash
    2700
    Quote Originally Posted by EL-TOPPO View Post
    It certainly is a double whammy, although the one way I have found I can cope going out is through music on my MP3 player.. Volume up and zone out away from everyone!

    In time I guess I will learn other ways of coping, but for the moment this works just fine


    On a sidenote.. Back nearly 9 years ago I did try and take my own life.. I was at my lowest of lows, homeless, Family not speaking to me, Had to give up my job as couldnt keep myself clean and tidy for work. So one day while blind drunk I did the stupid thing of trying to do myself in, I was seen by someone who notified police who then sectioned me at the local mental hospital for my own good. 48hrs in there made me realise I wasnt insane, I saw a doctor got medication and arranged my first counselling session. Bumped into old friends who gave me a sofa to sleep on for 3 nights of the week and I slept on another friends sofa the other 4 days so as to not get them into trouble with housing people. Needless to say that was the turning point in my life, I have never attempted something like that again
    Thats a great post mate.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •