Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: La Liga

vCash

2. The Following User Says Thank You to colml For This Useful Post:

vCash
    That is going to be an iconic image for decades to come.

At Bernabeu as well. Written in the stars! #Messi500

vCash
    Did he get booked?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Still needs to prove himself in another league though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Did he get booked?
    Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Still needs to prove himself in another league though.

vCash

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    it´s funny.. Nobody talking about how arrogant Messi is. Imagine the outburst if Cristiano did that...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alcoolix For This Useful Post:

vCash
    True story.

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    He does need to prove himself in another league. I've seen a ton of players that are amazing in one league, and mediocre in others. Also, I don't believe he's won anything with Argentina..... and he pulled that stupid "I'm retiring from Argentina" crap a while back after losing......before changing his mind.

Great player though, and 500 goals is nothing to laugh at.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Forrest View Post
    He does need to prove himself in another league. I've seen a ton of players that are amazing in one league, and mediocre in others. Also, I don't believe he's won anything with Argentina..... and he pulled that stupid "I'm retiring from Argentina" crap a while back after losing......before changing his mind.

Great player though, and 500 goals is nothing to laugh at.
    Why though? What does he have to prove? I don't understand why people think he wouldn't be able to cut it in another league. He dragged Argentina to a World Cup final. He came back because they begged him to come back. Ronaldo hadn't won anything with his country until his team mates won the Euro's last year.

By that logic, Pele or George Best aren't greats because they never did it in another league.

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    I didn't say that he wasn't great. In fact the last sentence of my post says "Great player though"

I just think players that can adapt to different leagues and different styles of play and still be as dominant show that they have something else.

And he came back to Argentina because he realized he was being a petulant little child and didn't want to end his international career like that....

vCash
    I meant as one of the all time greats. And if you are saying he is a great player, then why does he need to prove himself in another league? He has consistently outperformed PR7 since he arrived in Spain, who has played in both. If anything he would be even better abroad.
    Argentina begged him to come back because they realised they probably wouldn't qualify without him. They won 83% of the qualifiers he played in and 14% of the ones he didn't

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    He doesn't need to. I just think it speaks to the personality. Zlatan, for example, is among the best of his generation... and he had the desire to prove it by performing at the top in Holland, Spain, Italy, France and now England. To me, that shows that no matter the country, no matter the league, no matter the style, he is more than capable of performing.

Some people enjoy being the big fish in one place, rather than proving that they can be the big fish in every place.... and that's fine. To each their own.

But you'll always have people wondering

And CR vs Messi is an impossible debate.... like Pele or Maradona..... people like one and dislike the other. You can point to Messi scoring more goals and getting more assist than CR over his career... or you can point to CR having a higher goals per minute than Messi does if you only take La Liga into consideration..... you can say that CR won a major international trophy with a weak Portugese squad and that Messi has never won an international trophy with stronger Argentine teams.... you can say Messi has 4 Ballon d'or and Ronaldo only has 3 (well 2 Ballon d'or and 1 FIFA player of the year)

Either way, they are the top 2 in the world and will both be mentioned among the legends of the game in the course of history

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Anybody who has even the slightest doubt Messi wouldn't perform in another league needs their head examining.

Jermaine Defoe has 20 and 14 premier league goals respectively for SUNDERLAND!

Imagine what Messi would do if he played for a top 6 club in England...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys For This Useful Post:

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Messi probably would perform, and perform well.... but he also wouldn't be the first player with success in La Liga or Serie A to have trouble adapting to the speed, pressure, physicality, and lack of time and space on the ball (compared to Italy and Spain) of say the Premier League..... I have the same fear about someone like Greizmann signing for Man Utd.... there's always that risk that they won't adapt

Granted, the guy is talented enough to probably overcome that..... but we'll never know, will we.....

vCash
    16 goals in 15 games against English teams, I reckon he could probably do it in the PL. And these are against the top teams in England too! Surely he could manage it against the likes of Sunderland or Bournemouth.

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by colml View Post
    16 goals in 15 games against English teams, I reckon he could probably do it in the PL. And these are against the top teams in England too! Surely he could manage it against the likes of Sunderland or Bournemouth.
    Probably..... but I wonder if the week in-week out slog through the PL, plus the lack of winter break might affect him...... but like I said, it's all speculation

vCash
    We get it CF, u like Ronaldo... and u make a very strong point about the speed, pressure and physicality of the English game... I mean just look at how difficult it is for small players like Silva, Fabregas and Aguero.... oh wait... nvm...

vCash
    3 games, 0 goals, 8 conceded for Tony Adams and Granada

Still, the vids are great and epic in their cringiness

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I still have no idea what the purpose of that training drill is...!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    There's another one of him doing similar moves during the Valencia game on the touchline when giving instructions. Must love the Maracena

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisani View Post
    We get it CF, u like Ronaldo... and u make a very strong point about the speed, pressure and physicality of the English game... I mean just look at how difficult it is for small players like Silva, Fabregas and Aguero.... oh wait... nvm...
    and Veron, Shevchenko, Falcao, Soldado, di Maria, etc....

for every guy who is a star in a foreign league and comes to England and succeeds, there are 2 or 3 that fail miserably..... it's not about CR vs Messi..... it's about the ability to adapt. I can ask the same question of Maradona or Pele.... the 2 best ever.... but how would they have fared in England or Germany? We'll never know..... they probably would have succeeded.... just as Messi probably would succeed.... but there's always the possibility that they wouldn't have been as successful as expected and it would dent their reputation.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Interesting mate... so by your logic there is also a dent in the careers of say Totti, Inesta, Zidane, Maldini because they never played in England ?

vCash
    Congrats to Real Madrid, as much as it pains me to say it. The most consistent team throughout the course of season. Barça messing up against the likes of Alaves and Malaga made the difference, as RM never really looked like slipping up. Another Golden Shoe for Messi though.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to colml For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast