Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: English FA Cup

vCash

Discuss...

vCash
    Makes me laugh at Zableta appealing for a foul against Aguero

vCash
    Not seen game yet and looks bad but like most other tackles looks 100 times worse when slowed down

FA not charging is a surprise tho

vCash
    Dave Whelan has again this week been milking the story about how 'Norman Deeley' broke his leg in the 1960 FA Cup Final after going 'over the top' for the ball. Whelan's latest quote is

"“He came over the top of the ball and in today’s game it would be classed as a bad challenge. But in those days, it was just a tragic accident. What upset me about Wolves, who were coming off the back of the Billy Wright era and were arguably the No.1 team, is that not one player, not one director, got in touch to ask how I was or to say get well.

Anyway footage has now appeared of the said incident...

Nothing wrong at all with Deeley's challenge, it's Whelan who flys in with two feet off the floor, so when he's spinning his story about how Deeley went in over the top and broke his leg on TV later today, you can see the truth above. Norman Deeley died in 2007, and Whelan has really pushed this story ever since.

Dave Whelan remains angry at what he feels was a bad tackle by Norman Deeley. Forty-five years later, several newspapers quoted him after a reckless challenge by Chelsea’s Michael Essien on Liverpool’s Dietmar Hamann during a European Champions League game in December 2005 “ the worst tackle I’ve seen for a long time. You can’t go over the top like that. It was so dangerous. It has no place in football. How Hamann didn’t break his leg, I’ll never know.

“Essien’s tackle was like the one that broke my leg in the Cup Final in 1960. Norman Deeley went over the top, but it was different then, there were no TV replays. The referee didn’t even give a foul, but it absolutely finished me. It was a nasty tackle.”

Writing in his autobiography - Dave Whelan: Playing to Win in 2009, the Wigan chairman, who went on to build a successful business empire after retiring from playing, admits he was intent on intimidating Deeley from the off, and “After about twenty minutes I got him a tackle and I really hurt him. He was getting away from me, so I just clogged him, perhaps a little unfairly but not by the standards of the day. ‘He’s finished for the rest of the game, he won’t bother me now,’ I thought.

“In the 42nd minute a 50:50 ball came in between me and Norman Deeley. I thought he would still be trying to get there ahead of me, even after the crunch I’d just given him. He was that type of player. So I set off, determined to win the ball.

“And I did. I got there seconds before Deeley. But that was when I realised he had no intention at all of racing me for that ball. He was going for me. As I was running I heard a loud crack and felt my knee suddenly burn with pain. ……I was in agony and I knew I was out of the game. Norman Deeley had got me good and proper. ”

vCash
    Yet he claimed Callum McManaman's challenge on Haudara recently was fine.

The guy's a clown!

vCash
    It actually looks like he broke his own leg.

vCash
    Disgusting bias from ITV, Chiles and Whelan on the incident again today. Chiles and Whelan have both referred to it again as a 'horrific over the top challenge by Deeley' live on air.

vCash
    I'd be surprised if they cover anything on Wigan prior to the match

vCash
    7/1 for a Wigan win!

They may not win but worth a fiver!

vCash
    Playing better than 7-1 shot

vCash
    YEEEEAAAAHHHH!! Wigan sunk Mancini-Gang.....Manciiiniiii...o-o-o-ooooooohhhhhh......

vCash
    Have seen very little of Wigan this year and even less of Callum McManaman except the bad press for 'that tackle' but looks an excellent prospect. Fantastic dribbler if a little bit indecisive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Have seen very little of Wigan this year and even less of Callum McManaman except the bad press for 'that tackle' but looks an excellent prospect. Fantastic dribbler if a little bit indecisive
    I've got nothing against McManaman to be fair. Just his prick chairman who said it was a fair tackle.

On a seperate note, bet this person wishes they never tweeted this!!

vCash
    Interesting facts by the way:

The last three FA Cups have been won by a manager who's first name is Roberto!
    The last time the winning manager wasn't Italian was 2009!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Interesting facts by the way:
    The last time the winning manager wasn't Italian was 2009!
    Wrong, the last time was yesterday!

vCash
    2-0 FT for Pool - made hard work of it and Suarez and Coutinho had to come on to see it through. Squad players didn't show enough - good for Aspas he scored though - Agger injured again tho

Burton maybe the "easier" game but both potential banana skins away but hopefully we play a strong team as probably only trophy we can win. If Bournemouth I might have to go hunting for a ticket in home stand somewhere as never a chance of getting Liverpool ticket for away games
    Last edited by Redknapp69; 05-01-14 at 06:41 PM.

vCash
    AMAZING result for Swans as well! - Hopefully Bristol City or Crawley as I should be able to get to that game.

vCash
    Chelsea away
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    phew - nice win for us but Cissokho is awful and Kelly was very poor. Coutinho is on a massive downer at the mo at well - Moses did well today tho - into the next round we go!

vCash
    The draw has thrown up a couple of tasty ties.

vCash
    Yeah - couple of beauties! Will be tough for Swans away to Everton

We got a decent chance v Ars as we only have league so should put out a strong team and think Arse have Man U a few days before and Bayern Munich a few days later so they also may change team of hopefully not prioritise Cup

vCash
    Pitiful display by Stoke at Chelsea yesterday. Rarely troubled Chelsea and some great defending from Shawcross kept us in it.

Arnautovic yet again failing to impress.

Can't for the life of me understand why Hughes didn't play Guidetti at any stage either. It was the perfect opportunity to see what he can do.
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!

vCash
    Are you encouraged in the direction Stoke are going Mark or are the away performances just as poor as under Pulis?

I've seen you give teams a good go at home but some argue you did that under Pulis anyway.

vCash
    Still half decent at home and it's a pleasure to see the change in football philosophy as well. The likes of Begovic and Shawcross are keeping that defensive steel in the side going as well.

The only issue I have is the persistence use of a lone striker and Walters as a winger. It didn't work under Pulis and it certainly still doesn't work now.

Away games results wise have not improved under Hughes than under Pulis. We've won just once which is at West Ham but performances have improved and we've been very unlucky not to get 3 points (Fulham and Newcastle are two that spring to mind). We do still turn up to games and not compete at all though like against Chelsea and ironically, Crystal Palace.

The things we're missing is a killer instinct up front and a lot more pace. It's not looking great in the transfer window either so I expect a battle to stay up for the rest of the season and then hopefully Hughes can get those aforementioned players in.
    The Alphabet Game

vCash
    Caldwell a fucking nap to miss

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast