Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: English FA Cup

vCash

English FA Cup

A good weekends worth of action!

We just about sneaked through v Mansfield!

Swans drawing wasn't a bad thing as ill be able to go to replay!

vCash
    Bloody Fergie time .....

vCash
    sad state of affairs for a once great trophy when teams like Cardiff are putting out reserve teams in it :bull_head:

vCash
    Can understand Cardiff doing it Beez - they could (and should) have got promotion in last 5 years but always stumbled so they really concentrating on league this year
    Still - they were 1 up with 5 mins to go so should have seen it out

What I don't understand tho is all the teams that have no chance of winning the league - surely this is the only competition they can win along with League Cup so why wouldn't you go full pelt at it?

vCash
    I hate a number of teams for fucking up my bets. Cardiff and Wolves in particular... And Man Utd/Arsenal too.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeezerCeltic1967 View Post
    sad state of affairs for a once great trophy when teams like Cardiff are putting out reserve teams in it :bull_head:
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    What I don't understand tho is all the teams that have no chance of winning the league - surely this is the only competition they can win along with League Cup so why wouldn't you go full pelt at it?
    Surely the chairmen of the clubs that have no chance of winning their current league shouldn't be allowing their managers to do this? Listening to the Luton chairman yday, they got 67.5k in prize money alone for 3rd round. Its 90k for 4th round and a huge jump to 180k for the 5th round. Throw in the chance to a few full attendances and it looks like financial madness to allow your manager to field a reserve team when it's easily the most lucrative competition to clubs outside the EPL. Like a cup run to the quarter finals must be worth in the region of 4m to even a Championship side.

vCash
    Am at Arsenal tonight to hopefully see the Swans turn them over.
    Think there might be a goal in it either way but am thinking Arsenal will go all out tonight as probably the only comp they can win

vCash
    You'd imagine that Arsenal would be well up for it but Wenger's job depends on getting into the Champions League next season and at the moment they are a bit off that (albeit with a game in hand) so good chance it wont be quiet the strongest side out. Be interesting to see who he picks.

vCash
    ITV/ESPN have ruined the FA Cup, last nights 3rd round replays all nine of them were not screened anywhere and the goals haven't been shown on TV. It felt like it was the first round of the Anglo-Italian cup rather than the 3rd round of the most prestigious cup competition in the world.

Tonight we get Man Utd v West Ham followed by an hour highlights programme which will no doubt show 50 mins of Man U v West Ham and 10 mins of goals from the other 11 fixtures.

ITV :slap:

vCash
    Well deserved win for Arse over Swans reserves. It goes to show how far Swans have come when Arsenal celebrate like that at end of game

Some poor Swans passing and I think Laudrup needs to have a real think about this defensive/counter attack tactics away from home

Arsenal just need 10 more Wilshere's!

Very poor Swans support as well - think was only 1000 there and feck all singing really which I have never experienced whilst going to their live games

Saying that - coldest I've been at a game for years!
    Last edited by Redknapp69; 16-01-13 at 11:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterfan View Post
    ITV/ESPN have ruined the FA Cup, last nights 3rd round replays all nine of them were not screened anywhere and the goals haven't been shown on TV. It felt like it was the first round of the Anglo-Italian cup rather than the 3rd round of the most prestigious cup competition in the world.

Tonight we get Man Utd v West Ham followed by an hour highlights programme which will no doubt show 50 mins of Man U v West Ham and 10 mins of goals from the other 11 fixtures.

ITV :slap:
    And after staying up to watch the highlights, bang on with your prediction. FU ITV/ESPN.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    Interesting tackle from Glenn Whelan today Mark?!

vCash
    Not good at all Said at the time it looked like he just jumped in, I've absolutely no idea how the referee didn't just give him a red card there and then! Very surprised that Whelan did it in the first place, never seen him do anything like that before. Undefensible and don't want to see that at my football club.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    He's not that type of lad

vCash
    Always has to pipe up with some crap
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Wow, what a weekend! I don't think I've ever seen so many cupsets in one weekend before!

vCash
    FFS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Interesting tackle from Glenn Whelan today Mark?!
    The tackle has escaped a ban from the FA! Absolutely shocking decision from the FA!!!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Isn't it that double jeopardy style nonsense where he got booked so can't get done again cos it was in the refs report?

vCash
    Last time Luton v Millwall met in the FA Cup

vCash
    ITV and ESPN will feature five live ties from The FA Cup with Budweiser Fifth Round and there’s the bonus of a Fourth Round replay to look forward to as well.

Luton Town v Millwall gets proceedings underway for ESPN from Kenilworth Road at 12.45pm on Saturday 16 February as the Hatters look to build on their famous giantkilling of Norwich City last week.

ITV continue with the Fifth Round coverage later that day with Oldham Athletic v Everton from Boundary Park at 6pm.

The Latics pulled off a huge shock as Matt Smith scored twice in a 3-2 win over Brendan Rodgers’s Liverpool in the Fourth Round.

Sunday 17 February kicks-off with the last remaining Fourth Round replay as Chelsea host Brentford at Stamford Bridge on ITV at 12pm.

The FA Cup holders had to rely on an 83rd minute goal from Fernando Torres to rescue a 2-2 draw at Griffin Park last Sunday.

The Fifth Round coverage continues on Sunday with ESPN broadcasting Manchester City v Leeds United from the Etihad at 2pm.

Fans can switch back to ITV at 3.55pm as Huddersfield Town or Leicester City take on Roberto Martinez’s Wigan Athletic.

The bumper weekend of FA Cup TV coverage continues to Monday 18 February with Manchester United v Reading from Old Trafford at 8pm on ESPN.

All the clubs competing in the Fifth Round live ties will receive 233,200 from the broadcast fund with the winners earning an extra 180,000.

Both Chelsea and Brentford get 68,200 from the broadcast fund for their replay with the winners taking home 90,000 from the prize fund.
    Seriously why bother showing Man Utd again

vCash
    "FA Cup semi-final: Wigan have at least 10,000 tickets left"

Out of the 31000 allocated Wigan are expected to return 10k of them.

I know they are a big rugby town but didn't think after 8 or 9 seasons in the EPL they'd still have such a small pool of fans.

Thing is, if the game was at Old Trafford like they were traditionally there'd be no problem selling their allocation imo (what they have sold would be plenty to fill have of Villa Park). Obviously the proximity to Wigan itself would help but a trip to the game would nearly 4 times less imo.

Plus given there is apparently only one train going back to Wigan 19:15 it seems a poor choice of venue.

What's the likelyhood that tickets being handed back for the semi-finals becomes common place? Surely it's becoming too much of a stretch for the average fan to fork out for 2 potential trips to Wembley/London.

Diluting the allure of the top end of the competition is also going to hit the earlier rounds eventually where many clubs rely on a decent FA Cup interest just to stay afloat.

Hardly worth the comp losing prestige to pay for Wembley since I'd imagine the long term negativity around semi finals being played there would cost the FA more?

I would assume it takes at least some where between 40-60% capacity to turn a profit depending on the ticket price, so all it will take is for a clash between 2 'Wigans' for them to be in the red. And I'd imagine that some of the play-off's run at a loss.

Going back to rotating the grounds based on location of the semi-finalists seems more practical in both the long and short term.

vCash
    Going to Wembley twice is a ridiculously expensive affair although I have to say that Stoke had no problems selling their allocation for the Semi Final and Final itself a couple of years ago. I know first hand from going to both games against Bolton and Man City.

I think I must have spent at least 200 on each day out when you take into account the ticket prices, travel, merchandise, alcohol and food. While the 5-0 win against Bolton will be forever in my memory, the Final itself wasn't so great nor as memorable and for me, that's not right. It's not because we lost either (Man City won 1-0 with a Yaya Toure goal) but more to do with the fact that we'd already been there once and done it all just a few weeks earlier so the occasions didn't feel as special or grand as it should have been.

For me, the FA spoilt seeing my club at Wembley in an FA Cup Final for the first time in its history by having both stages of the competition hosted there. It's one of the many things that I have come to hate about the game and is truly a shocking decision and another reason why the FA Cup isn't as special anymore.

Personally, I don't think it's even worth going back to having neutral venues for the semi final's. I'd keep it to the luck of the draw as to whether you are at home or away for the semi and then bring back the feeling of the grand occasion by hosting only the final at Wembley itself.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-04-13 at 04:03 PM.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    I think the Semis should be back at Old Trafford/Villa Park or other 40k+ ground based on the size of the clubs. Having to go to Wembley twice in a month these days is harsh on fans from outside London. The final should be reserved for Wembley, it would make it more on an attractive day for all fans.

vCash
    Agree with the above - Semi's at Wembley is ridiculous

In League Cup with Swansea I think last train back there was around 1-2 hours after final whistle

With regards to Wigan tix left over - not surprising as most kids prob support Merseyside/Manchester prem teams so have always had it tough (as well as being rugby place)

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast