Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal managerial habits/rules

vCash
    If you are a lower division club and hold a friendly tournament, where you invite other clubs who then play at your stadium without you, you can make more in a single friendly than in an entire domestic season. However in order to successfully invite clubs of the required calibur, you need to control all the clubs, otherwise they would just laugh in your face at the idea of Barcelona and Real Madrid visiting Forest Green.

and I just "auto" with the squad numbers, I dont really see the point of having it, I suppose it adds a certain realism. Am I a heretic?
    Last edited by ilovesanmarino; 01-06-13 at 10:06 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovesanmarino For This Useful Post:

Sam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesanmarino View Post
    and I just "auto" with the squad numbers, I dont really see the point of having it, I suppose it adds a certain realism. Am I a heretic?
    For me it brings order. When the squad numbers are assigned "correctly" i just have to select the players with numbers 1-25 when i pick my CL-squad. And it's easier to make substitutions, i.g. when a striker is injured i sub him with a player with a number ending with 9 or 0.

vCash
    I never fine or even warn players. Can't see what it's meant to achieve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAnt View Post
    I follow these rules when it comes to number assignments:
    GK: 1,24,25
    DR: 2, 12
    DL: 3, 13
    DC: 4,5,14,15
    DMC: 6,16
    MR: 7,17
    MC: 8,18
    F: 10,20
    S: 9,19
    ML: 11, 21
    D/DMC: 22
    DRL: 23
    this is very much how i organise my numbers, with a few changes here and there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by simpeter View Post
    stops other plays from getting annoyed with each other.

vCash
    Increases determination of the player if you do. There was a thread on this somewhere

vCash
    If you warn for Poor Performance and their Determination and Work Rate are under 15 you might get a one point increase in one or both

I think the same applies for warning/fining for dismissals/violent behaviour and a reduction in the aggressiveness stat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1369phil View Post
    If you warn for Poor Performance and their Determination and Work Rate are under 15 you might get a one point increase in one or both

I think the same applies for warning/fining for dismissals/violent behaviour and a reduction in the aggressiveness stat
    You can actually increase those stats up to 15-16, even if the player starts out with 1 in each.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trip For This Useful Post:

Sam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    You can actually increase those stats up to 15-16, even if the player starts out with 1 in each.
    I didn't know about this until I read this thread, even though I do fine/warn for various reasons. I've never actually noticed it before in the game. This will make all the difference for me when the low determination/work rate regens start kicking in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1369phil View Post

interesting. good to know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    interesting. good to know.
    Just bear in mind that the guy's reaction is influenced by his professionalism. If it's VERY low (1-6), it's very possible he'll get mad at you, even if you fined him for a good reason (poor performance when he gets a 5 or less). On the other hand, if he expresses willingness to work hard, this means the warning worked and his Det and/or Workrate have increased by 1. You can push your luck and try it again immediately. I've managed to do it up to about 5 times in a row, but it's a game of chance really. (you could save/reload to milk it to the maximum, of course, but I've never done it. too much work )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Just bear in mind that the guy's reaction is influenced by his professionalism. If it's VERY low (1-6), it's very possible he'll get mad at you, even if you fined him for a good reason (poor performance when he gets a 5 or less). On the other hand, if he expresses willingness to work hard, this means the warning worked and his Det and/or Workrate have increased by 1. You can push your luck and try it again immediately. I've managed to do it up to about 5 times in a row, but it's a game of chance really. (you could save/reload to milk it to the maximum, of course, but I've never done it. too much work )
    have also noticed that the circumstances can affect the reaction. for instance, my keeper was sent off for a handball and flipped out when i warned him for it. every other sending off fine has been accepted by the player.

vCash
    Generally sub when players are at or around 80%, near 85% if I have either a couple players of near same talents, or one of my regular starters is on the bench for a game.

If a player is at 96 or 95%, that's pushing it for me to at least start him, unless it's a big game, and if he's at or below 92%, he's getting the day off on match day

Generally don't give much a hoot about who gets what squad number, other than the Goalie getting #1, and my star player getting #13 (never had a hang up with #13, and consider it quite lucky to me)

I only fine if I consider something VERY egregious (repeated poor performances, continuously being late/skipping training, speaking out when he really shouldn't, etc.)

I generally only do one friendly a season, 2 at most, if clubs ask, and even then, I will only play some of my starters for a half, then mass sub in the 2nd half.

I generally like to play as English teams, so if I get non-EU players, I like to try to keep it at 2, so if I have to fill a need, and that need is a non-EU player, I still can try to sign said player without having to bench non-EU players

Always, always, always talk positive, unless it's a player I am getting rid of, or if a player is being a disruption or such

I generally keep players I want to keep an eye on, on my shortlist. I know sometimes it worries some players, but I haven't seen much change or trouble, especially when you go an say that you have no reason to replace said player, especially if said player has been doing well to begin with
    Last edited by PYLrulz; 07-06-13 at 05:59 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PYLrulz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The biggest surprise for me in this thread is the dislike for 30+ players. I delight in finding knackered has beens and giving them another shot at the big time!

I find old players tend to have a much more consistent avg. rating, and often better than you would guess from their attributes. <24yo tend to be inconsistent.

vCash
    Defenders still perform very well up until 34 at any level, tail off quickly after that though. Guess most people have their business caps on and thinking of resale value and how hard it is to shift a high earner that's 33+ off the wage bill - can be very annoying having 20 clubs bid on a player but the deal always collapses as 'cannot meet demands'. No problems signing some older guys but never more than 2 year contracts anymore. Nothing worse than some old guy rotting in the reserves, at half his peak talents and on 50k a week

316'sRegen Unattached
    exactly

i would watch these guys performances to see if they have another year in them each time and sign them on short term deals toward the twilight of their career.

while the young gems are obviously exciting to sign and bringing your own youth products through to maturity is rewarding, having a few veterans in the team is a must, especially if you are fighting up through the divisions.

I have recently added a new training schedule to mine which is called "old guys" where i train them medium fitness and medium skills (tac & shooting light). This keeps anyone over 30 fresh throughout the season.

Also, it feels good to have a backroom staff of ex players at the club, giving the feeling that you have built the whole club around the boot room style of management.

vCash
    I rarely sub players at half time, and always do subs at or as close as possible to 60 minutes. I like to think I'm giving the players on 5s and 6s some of the hairdryer at half time and then 15 minutes to turn it around. Otherwise their replacement gets 30 minutes to make a difference.
    Also at half time I click on the player getting a 5/6 and then his replacement. I'm saying "look, I've got this guy raring to go, sort it out".
    Always have GK, DRLC, M, M, SC on the bench, if I'm lucky enough to have a versatile defender.
    Always captain guaranteed first team players with high influence and teamwork, usually a DC or DMC.
    I hate to change my defence mid-game, but I'm a proper tinkerman when it comes to strikers and attacking mids.
    I like to look at my record against my next opponent, and make wildly optimistic predictions.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    1) Arrange 3/4 friendlies with non league teams and play my best 11 in each game. Normally smash them and score plenty of goals, gets the players morale high and also the Board are happy when I smash teams 6/7-0
    2) Set my training regime and place each player into their own.
    3) List all reserve team players for loan and request coach reports for all reserve players. If my coach doesn't think a player is good enough then they are either released or listed (dependent on Value)
    4) Run GPF. I am always intrigued as to regens of star players. I check this after each and every season.
    5) Squad numbers are 1-11 for my starting 11. I always play a 442 so 7/11 for wingers etc etc
    6) I will always make 3 subs during any game, if we are comfortable at half time then I make them then, if not I wait till around 60 mins
    7) Always have 4 star Strikers and rotate them. Its normally the 2 strikers I will sub/switch
    8) Have game speed/commentary on x 20 with Tapani Patch (New resolution) and hardly ever ever read the commentary.
    9) I fly through a season in super quick time. Only time I will hunt for transfers is during the off season or if I am short in a certain area.
    10) Always and only buy youngsters and always use GPF, some think its cheating but its my way of scouting as I believe only downfall of this game is the scouting side of it

That is all.

Oh and 99% of the time I manage Man Utd. I love to win and score lots of goals. I dont think this will ever change

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    My latest thing has been to change the game language in the settings to the nation I am managing in. So if PSG change the lang to French. Makes it feel more realistic! I do however refrain from doing the accent Steve Mclaren style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrexham View Post
    My latest thing has been to change the game language in the settings to the nation I am managing in. So if PSG change the lang to French. Makes it feel more realistic! I do however refrain from doing the accent Steve Mclaren style.
    i'll change the currency to the one of the country i'm currently managing in, but not the whole game language

vCash
    The hardest bit is that the attributes are listed in alphabetic order. So they are not where you are used to looking.

My french is coming on no end though!

vCash
    Always have 'Available Only' ticked

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Always have a bit too many players on the first squad (around 30-35), at least 2 but more often 3 players for every position.

Tend to buy good players when the opportunity arises, even if not needed.

Love to sign players 6 months before their contract ends, and sometimes sell them rapidly just to make a profit.

Try to get rid as fast as possible of all the dead wood when I arrive at a club. Sometimes set the price at 0, or even fire them if I can afford it.

Rarely list a player for loan (I should do it more).

Don't listen to the board when they say they don't want a certain player anymore (sometimes it's one of the best players I have).

If a player asks to be transfered and other players complain about his attitude, I usually sell him rather quickly to bring back serenity in the locker room.

Try to avoid selling my best players to teams from the same division.

Rarely buy players for high prices (above 10 million ), unless I have too much money, or to avoid paying dividends, or if I arrive at a club in a desperate situation ranking-wise.

Often give warning, but never fine a player, unless I'm on the verge of leaving the club anyway. A performance of 5/10 or less equals a warning. Same goes for missed/late training and red card (unless the player had at least 7/10 in that game).

If the media praises a player, I do the same. If it criticizes a player or the team, it depends if they pissed me off or not.

If the media is enthousiastic about our chances to win the competition, I'm enthousiastic too.

Give a lot of importance to the financial side of things. Even if the results on the field are not there, I like it when the finances are in the green.

Don't accept a job in a club with bad financial situation.

Send scouts all over the world consistently.

Often scout Brazil for young gems.

Rarely buy a player before he's scouted at least twice.

Check the light injuries at half-time and often replace the injured players before they can't play anymore.

If many players have 6/10 at half-time, I replace 1 or 2 of them to show the others this is serious business.

Check the players' condition during the second half at around the 60th minute, and replace those who are the first to go below 80% (especially if they are offensive players).

Change all the staff at the club when I arrive, unless it's top class, which is rarely the case. And hire the maximum staff possible.

Hate to pay big wages, but after I spend a few seasons in a club where I built the squad myself, I also hate to see it dismantled, so I pay what it takes.

Try to avoid players with low decisions, determination, passing, stamina and teamwork.

Old players are ok, unless I see a fast decline in skills (around 34-35 yo usually).

Select players with at least OK morale. If a player has low morale, even if he's very good, I bench him if I have a decent replacement.

When I see a decrease in performances, like 9-8-7, I tend to not select the player for a few matches if he's not absolutely needed, because I feel it could decrease even more. Same goes with several average performances in a row, like 6-6-6.

Tend to trust a goalkeeper for long streaks, unless he's allowing too many goals in a match, then I replace him with another one and rest him for some time.

Select players with condition of at least 95% if possible.

Lightly injured players (condition of 90%) usually won't play, to avoid aggravating their injury.

Don't like players out of position, unless I have no other choice. And I prefer versatile players so I can have many change solutions during matches. Never train a player for a new position though.

Don't care about the jersey numbers. I first clear all the numbers and then set it on automatic.

Play the matches at the highest speed. Only play penalty shootouts at normal speed, to enjoy the drama.

Usually play with an attacking mentality.

Generally avoid accepting jobs in clubs/countries where the 2 colors don't match, thus where I can't read the game action at high speed. Have tried it a few times though (Fluminense, Maritimo, Norway), and it hurts.

Don't play friendlies with clubs, only with the national teams (where it's mandatory).

Never accept a player transfer request immediately : I put the player on the transferlist only after he's tired of asking, so I can remove him from the transferlist anytime.

Like to have a few good youngsters (maximum 18 or 19 yo) in the squad which I don't have to put on the list of 25 players for the Champions League, since they can play without having been listed, so it makes more room for the older players.

Always try to expand facilities if the money allows it, to later get good youngsters from the academy.

Complain about the refs when my key players are injured, or at least 2 of my players are injured in the same match, or if I lost the match because of red cards or penalties.

Every field player gets general training (even during the off-season), except the offensive players who missed several occasions in the latest match. Then I make them train the finishing skills till the next match (that's a superstition).

Set the tackling level on normal, but then set it on hard just before the match begins (superstition too).

Try to avoid automatic transfer fees in player contracts.

Often offer a relegation fee of 0 when I know it's unlikely the club will be relegated.

Love countries where many foreign or non-EU players are allowed in the squad and in the line-up, the best being no restriction at all (Italy, Belgium). Hate the work permits in England.

Like to ask my staff about my players from time to time, to discover hidden skills, like free-kick/corner/penalty skills, professionalism, loyalty... or the opposite, which means a free ticket to the transferlist rather soon.

Play with the "fog of war" option on.

Don't scout the next opponent unless I just arrived in a given country (because of the "fog of war").

Love starting a long career, getting through all kind of challenges at any level, in many countries.

Like to follow the career of my former players and see what path they have taken after they left the club. Sometimes sign them again after a while, with the same club of with another club, but only if they are needed and never for a high fee.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil_jackson For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Love it when a player requests a move to a bigger club one division up, then the next season I am running away with the same league while they are miserable in the reserves at their 'big club'. HAHA.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wrexham For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrexham View Post
    Love it when a player requests a move to a bigger club one division up, then the next season I am running away with the same league while they are miserable in the reserves at their 'big club'. HAHA.
    I love it when these same players accept a transfer to a non-playable team that must have a bit of money to spend.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast