Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal managerial habits/rules

vCash

Personal managerial habits/rules

Would be interesting to hear everyone's habits or rules they have when playing the game. Here are some of mine:

Always sort first team into 24 players: 2 GKs, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 6 forwards

Reserves contain no players over the age of 21 except goalkeepers or transfer listed players

Rarely sign players aged 30+

Always try and cash in on players with a year left on contract who refuse to sign a new one

Very rarely sign players with less than 15 Determination

Very rarely give players 50k+ a week, try to stay under 30k in most cases

Fine players two weeks wages for violent behaviour

Give players an official warning for missing training

Give players an official warning for 5 or less match rating (unless injured early on)

Use all 3 subs in most matches

Always try to balance the transfer income/expenditure each season

Frequently scout for youth players

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alanshearer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    My top squad is always only 16, hate seeing players who are not involved in my top squad.

Give players an official warning for 5 or less match rating - weeks fine for 4 or below.

I appoint a scout from each major nation & ask him to scout his own country. Bebeto for Brazil, Figo for Portugal, Cantona for France...

Never use subs unless injury or sending off or someone playing a 5.

Never look at finances. Always sign free transfer kids or kids from other clubs aided by a few veterans.

Never pay big wages. often take pride in sticking to a wage ceiling & not going above it. Won SPL with a squad at Dumbarton with nobody on more than 350 per week.

Never look at the cheat stats -positioning or low determaination. Just if he can pass/tackle. Like my players to have flair, creativity & dribbling skills of at least 10, even in defenders. My midfied always has to have at least 13 of passing, flair, creativity & dribbling.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cam F For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks for sharing, Cam.

Interesting that you only have a squad of 16, I think I would struggle to keep them 100% fit for every match. What is the lowest condition you would play a player with?

I've done the same with scouts as well. Home nation knowledge

Kudos on the Dumbarton game, always more satisfying winning and keeping to a strict budget!

Do you mean you don't mind if players have low positioning/determination?

vCash
    I don't play a player with less than 95% fitness. I then call up some1 from the reserves or use one of my subs but i'm like Cloughie, I will use a core 13-14 players in the seasons & that's it. I play the kids in cups until I face a decent team. Same for early uefa or CL games.

vCash
    I always put a keeper as sub 1, defenders as 2+3, mids as 4+5 and forwards as 6+7
    Number the starting team 1-11

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colml For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Same here, 95%. Anyone else play with lower I wonder? Suppose with a tighter squad your players will be a lot happier, might have to give it a go. I usually rotate pretty well with with my 24 though especially if it's with a top level team in all comps.

vCash
    I always put my keeper as sub 2 like the computer. OCD at it's finest, ha!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alanshearer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Keeper always number 1.
    Anyone I sign who wears a specific squad number in real life gets that number at the next available opportunity.

Always put my suit on for a cup final!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'll risk a player at 92%, if they're good. I end up subbing them anyway though! If anyone is lower than 80% at half time, I usually sub them too.
    After the league is won, I rest all the main players and play some youngsters. Some 18 year old kid called Andres Iniesta has been getting a few games on my current barca save

vCash
    First thing i always do when i start a new game is fire all my staff and get my own.

Always play kids in the cups, keep my stars on the bench to rescue me if things get scary.

Rarely sign any old players unless i'm a smaller club.

Always use 3 subs.

Subs are usually: 1 GK, 1 versatile defender who can play all along the back 4, 1 defensive mid, 2 attacking mids and 2 strikers.

Any young players who aren't yet good enough or are unlikely to play for a while go straight into an all intensive training schedule. Everything on full intensity until there's a cup game coming up or i can loan them out.

Never WIB WOB

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sub goalie number 1 sub, #2 a def, 3 & 4 midfielders & 5 a striker. I have never handed out number 13 squad number in history of playing cm, it will bring bad luck me thinks.

vCash
    okay i'll chip in with mine. There's alot, i'll try to remember them all...

1st team squad always 21 players. 2 keepers, 4 full backs, 3 centre backs, 2 DMs, 2x left/centre, right/centre and centre midfielders, and 4 forwards unless i'm not in Europe then it's 1 permanent striker less, and 1 in on loan.
    The numbers 12 and 13 are always reserved for my 2nd choice keeper and reserve keeper. Never an outfield player.
    Number 8 is always my favourite player in the squad. Normally it's a left midfielder or a striker, where I used to play before I found drink, smokes, and women
    The left sided centre back is always captain and is the only player that plays every game. Otherwise, I have a 2 team rotation, which I call the A and B team. The A team is the stronger team and plays in latter euro and most league games. The B team plays occasionally in the league, and plays domestic cup and early euro games. Everyone normally gets more than 20 starts a season if i'm doing well. Neither the A or B team plays more than 2 games in a row.
    My reserve team rarely has players over the age of 20 in it. The only reason for an over 20 to be in the reserves would be if they are transfer listed. My reserve team plays a more attacking, more expressive version of the 1st team formation, because with young players, it's more about improving abilities and enjoying the game rather than the result.

As far as signings go, I rarely buy a player that is over 24/25 years old. I'll pay the money if a player is worth it, but i'll try not do go over double the player's game value if I can help it. I always try to low-ball the team i'm buying from as well. Don't work often, but sometimes I can get players on the cheap that way.
    I don't sign players with less than 10 determination, 10 workrate and 10 decisions (which makes the game a right bitch after about 2014).

I don't normally keep anyone once they hit 30 years old unless they are exceptionally good (i.e. Van Nistelrooy good). I'm like Dave Jones, it's all about the youngsters.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I go with 24 in my 1st team as it fills up the screen - 2 keepers, 8 defenders, 8 mids, 4 fwds then some utility players

Don't use 12 or 13 for squad numbers - 12 is for the fans & 13 is bad luck

Never fine players but dish out warnings for missing training or sending off

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I have a 2 team rotation, which I call the A and B team. The A team is the stronger team and plays in latter euro and most league games. The B team plays occasionally in the league, and plays domestic cup and early euro games. Everyone normally gets more than 20 starts a season if i'm doing well. Neither the A or B team plays more than 2 games in a row.
    I do the same. Except from the last sentence. The A team plays almost every league game and sometimes in the cups and in Europe if the opponent is a world class team or close. When the league is won i use the B team there and the A team in the closing stages of Champions League. I try to give every player 30 starts per season, but with 25 of them it won't add up, so I usually have two or three who refuse to extend their contract per season. They get sold.

I have two goalies in my CL-squad and keep at least one u20 gk in my reserves as backup in case of injuries.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicAnt For This Useful Post:

316'sRegen Unattached
    clip on tie in the desk drawer for the cup final.

clip it right on to your t-shirt, it's all good.

may also be worn for managerial awards and job appointment photo opportunities

YE HA!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I go for pretty much everything OP has posted expect 3 GK's, only 4 forwards and then a few utility players i.e. 2 DR's, 2 DL's, 4 DC's and then probably a D/AML, D/DMC and a DRC. If the any are good enough to be a main DC I'll just sell a DC.

Was discussed before but have numbers thing as well

GK's 1, 13, 26, 33
    DR 2
    DL 3
    DC 5, 6
    DMC 16, 4
    AML 11, 14
    AMR 7, 23
    MC/AMC 10, 8
    SC 9, 18, 19
    3rd choice full back 12
    Star late comer to the squad, 25, 44, 50

vCash
    13 for me best striker
    25 first choice keeper
    if i'm playing <mickmcarthy>'one in the hole'</mickmcarthy> then the AMC is the 7
    wingers - always!
    23 is for Kevin Franck, no idea why!

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    I always play naked while smoking a Cuban cigar and listening to Bjork

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Horrible visions of CF#1 smoking a cuban cigar or sitting on the cuban cigar when he gets bored.

Have a good weekend #1.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam F For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I cant think of a habit apart from playing the game and not being able to wib/wob

316'sRegen Unattached
    24players in the first team, it fills the screen.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    In all honesty....

24 players or so in the first team.... sometimes a few less or a few more depending on what stage of the season

GK is always #1... backups get #30 and #33 (hockey goalie numbers)

fav player gets #21

Transfer listed guys get #50, 49, 48, etc... if I bother to assign them squad numbers

Only sub players if they are at 5 or lower at half time, 6 or lower at 60-70 minutes, or drop below 80% before the 70-75 minute mark

won't play a guy at less than 92% unless I have no other choice

I can't watch when a game goes to penalties as it's bad luck

I never play friendlies as someone always gets injured

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    My first team squad always includes 22 players of 35-38 whole squad. due to injuries & bans i occasionally promote use reserve players. I always use two team rotation A team for league and important European cups, B team for local cups and less important European cup games. Except forwards and offensive midfielders (who has must 15 dribbling,flair,technique), all players must have +15 aggression. Only sub players if his rating 5 or lower half time. 6 at 55-62 minutes or below %76 in each minute.
    If manage a world-class team my maximum wage is depends on my stadium capacity. 40.000 capacity means 4 million $/per annum, 85.000 capacity means 8,5 M/per annum. Oftenly prefer players from nearest cities,foreign players from the nearest countries. Only play 2 games pre-season friendlies...one club from closer cities, one from rivals. Always choose right coaches for training. At the end of every season i always update my shortlist....adding some players which i need...his rating must have above 7.77.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to scemoka For This Useful Post:

316'sRegen Unattached
    i would never buy anyone with determination less than 13

316'sRegen Unattached
    any player that speaks out of turn in the media is listed.

Not always neccessarily sold, they can earn their way back but listed immediately and fined 1 wk wage unprofessional behaviour.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast