Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash

Challenge 17 - A Football Philosophy - Part 2

The 1995 European Cup final (That's the Champions League to you kids) saw AC Milan paired against Ajax Amsterdam. Two great football giants of the past, one the epitome of the modern era of football with its big name signings huge transfer fees and glamour. The other a member of football royalty trying to adapt to a sport that was becoming increasingly more about money and leaving it behind.

Milan under the stewardship of Fabio Capello were the reigning European Champions and the dominant force in European football. Ajax were the surprise package and had in fact exceeded all expectations just by reaching the final. They were made up of a largely unknown group of young players who were barely in long trousers. Everyone expected them to be cannon fodder for the mighty Milan. It's a funny old game...

Your job is to take control of AC Milan and continue their dominance of European football. In doing so you must adhere to the philosophy of the club and only sign experienced established internationals.

The Rules

This is a 6 season challenge to be completed only with the original CM 01/02 database. Season 1 is a non scoring season which you must use to get rid of any player that is 31 years old or younger. Seasons 2-6 (5 seasons) will be used to accumulate as many trophies as possible with particular emphasis on winning the CL.

At the start of every season you must not have any player in the squad that is 31 or younger. Players that turn 32 during the season are sign-able but only once they have turned 32. In addition to this any signings must have represented their country at full international level.

If you can't ship out all your players in season 1 you cannot score points in season 2 so this should be your priority!

Being the embodiment of Italian football you must adhere strictly to 4-4-2 Defensive. You can use movement arrows but no WIB/WOB and mentality must be set to Defensive.

As a way of introducing a bonus, any player that was in the AC Milan match day squad for the 1995 final is fair game and will attract points if they play the required number of games. These players are exempt from the age restrictions.

Scoring

Serie A title = 100 points
    Italian Cup = 50 points
    UEFA Cup = 200 points
    European Cup = 400 points
    Keeping a clean sheet in any competitive match = 5 points
    Season bonus for 1995 player = 25 points (player must play a minimum of 25 matches)
    European Award for players = 10 points

Hopefully the masochists out there will enjoy being restricted by the formation and defensive nature of the challenge. There are loads of great old players to use during the 6 seasons but beware that you will need to start shipping players out early as there is a fair amount in the squad that need to go. It will break your heart to sell Shevchenko

Screenies of the fixture list and the age of your players is required for each season as well as the usual results based pics.

The official match day squads for the 1995 final

You can choose to create the game yourself, or download a pre-loaded save
    Save Game
    http://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=248
    Last edited by Craig Forrest; 18-02-16 at 04:42 PM.

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Season One - The Culling

Think I'll keep this one short and sweet as no points can be scored.

I started by determining my strategy; I would raffle my players off gradually throughout the season and bring in my future prospects in order to keep team harmony and hopefully get a few good results along the way. I adopted a 4-4-2 Defensive formation and built a nice little shortlist of targets for the upcoming season. My 4-4-2 Defensive paid off well throughout the season and we finished third. I was pleased to see that Roma did not romp the league as it took them up to the 33rd game of the season to seal the title with us only being five points behind on the final day. Unfortunately I did not fair too well in the cups and was eliminated in the UEFA Cup Fourth Round and the Italian Cup Semi-Final. Thankfully the strong league finish meant that the board were satisfied with my performance.

The squad clear out had amassed a massive war chest of over £100million and I was able to bring my targets throughout the season with ease. The combined bill of my new squad was roughly £45million which left a massive profit for the clubs owners to wank over. I also ensured that I snared the signings of as many 1995 Cup Final players as possible and marked them with a cross in order to identify their worth. The last thing I checked was their international record and only Paulo Di Canio didn't make the grade (I had panic bought him during the first season) and so he was shipped out.

Season two to follow..

vCash
    3rd ain't a bad achievement at all mate, especially with all the chopping and changing you were doing throughout the season, but the cup form is a slight concern.

What signings did you make apart from Di Canio?

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Took too long to reply to this, only just got around to opening the save game up. Season One saw the signings of:

- Le Saux
    - Djorkaeff
    - Ielpo
    - Eranio*
    - Desailly*
    - Donadoni*
    - Batty
    - Panucci*
    - Simone*
    - Romário
    - Galli*
    - Paulo Ségio
    - Benarrivo
    - Stevic.

(Those marked with a star are '95 Cup Final players)

The above were signed for a combined total of £31.5million. Not a bad amount spent for such a talented and experienced team.

vCash
    So no matter if I am loosing or in a draw with weak teams, mentality should be defensive?

vCash
    Yep.

vCash
    Think I'll have a crack at this, just to clarify when it says original database does that mean .60 or can .65, .67 or .68 be used?

Edit: I'll just download the save to use

vCash
    Link no longer valid for the save so back to the original question with the databases I'm afraid CF/AJ.

vCash
    A question: the bonus for the player of 25pts is too for players who are in Milan when we take the team (like Maldini)? In this case, it's different from the Ajax challenge (no points for Litmanen).

vCash
    It should do, Fred Grim got points in the Ajax challenge from what I remember, Litmanen weren't at Ajax to begin with either was he?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Litmanen alone from 1995 at Ajax, Fred Grim retired in my ODB 3.68...

vCash
    So on 3.9.68 Litmanen was already at Ajax? You should have been counting points for him, as I did with Grim on my 3.9.60 game.

vCash
    Ok!
    It won't change nothing...I don't and won't have a top team to win the Champion's Cup...

vCash
    Finished 6th in the first season and UEFA Cup winner...
    Sold my best players...
    A tip before begining the second season? All my old players are tired 2 days before the first game...

vCash
    I didn't know that Silvio Berlusconi was so patient...
    Finishing 12th!!! Alone! And nobody helps me!!!

No players under 32 before the first match:
    http://imgur.com/a/wJKIz

22 clean sheets = 110pts
    http://imgur.com/a/BgzVD

My 10 players from the 1995 final = 250pts
    http://imgur.com/a/4GxYS

Total challenge: 360pts

Here my regular team and tactic...
    http://imgur.com/a/SkPE6

Help me!!! It's unplayable with a NWW tactic in my opinion...

Last edited by kikivampy; 06-05-17 at 08:55 AM.

vCash
    Sacked on the first cup match of the season 3.
    A challenge that you can resume like: be able to last longer...
    I undestand why only 2 people played this challenge...
    With a 4-4-2 tactic non wib wob (mentality defensive) tested in the condition of Degraafschap test, descent one, 61pts comparing to my 4-4-2 flat one (62pts) and more than the default tactic I always play with (4-1-3-2): 59,4pts... Really don't undestand how you can play 6 seasons with a 4-4-2 NWW tactic defensive managing Milan...
    This challenge would be more interesting with only the NWW tactic restriction,
    or another suggestion without changing the rules: indicate clearly that it will be so difficult that your mission is to stay the more games you can!!!
    Seriously, to get better, wich NWW tactic and wich strategy did you use NormandyWept and Redknapp69?

vCash
    Fantastic first season marred only by retirements hampering my points potentials going forward. The defensive nature and winning most games 1-0 is a grind but winning is winning!

Star signings have been Shearer, Canizares, Desailly, Pannucci, Suker and Lizarazu and Bosvelt and Couto have been steady contributors. Got Bergkamp, Chiesa and Cocu coming in this season and legends like Baggio, Di Matteo, Schmeichel and Djorkaeff in the reserves to make up the numbers so my squad stopped moaning about depth.

Just had to reload the save thanks to Boban retiring immediately due to injury and me not being able to get a screenshot of his games beforehand. Hope this isn't viewed as cheating at all! I had Ielpo for last season but he retired before he could start scoring points.

Points for scoring season 1 then;

Serie A title = 0 points (finished 2nd to Roma)
    Italian Cup = 50 points
    European Cup = 400 points (Beat Roma on penalties in the final)
    Keeping a clean sheet in any competitive match = 175 points (35 clean sheets)
    Season bonus for 1995 player = 300 points (Pannucci, Maldini, Costacurta, Galli, Boban, Albertini, Desailly, Simone, Stroppa, Lentini, Donadoni, Rossi)
    European Award for players = 30 points (Shearer European Footballer Of The Year and Striker of the Year, Maldini Defender of the Year)

TOTAL = 955 points

EDITED TO INCLUDE EUROPEAN AWARDS
    Last edited by generalsmuts; 16-05-17 at 02:15 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to generalsmuts For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    What is the tactic you use?

vCash
    Just the default 4-4-2 Defensive setting like it says in the OP. Boring but effective.

My advice - sign Alan Shearer in August of season 2 (first scoring season) when he turns 32. Goal machine even in this defensive formation.

vCash
    ???
    The default 4-4-2 defensive is the worst default tactic of the game... 42pts with the DeGraafschap test.
    I signed Shearer in the second year too...
    So, if you talk about the default 4-4-2 defensive, it's without changing anything, I suposed you change or create something.
    And If I have understood the rules, you have to play with a strict 4-4-2 with defensive mentality, no mention of the default tactic!
    For me you can't play with the 4-4-2 defensive default tactic because it's not a stric 4-4-2 (2 defensive midfielders not on the same line of the others) and mentality isn't in defensive mode (normal I think)...
    The boss of the Officials Challenge will make a decision on the matter!!!
    Last edited by kikivampy; 16-05-17 at 11:33 PM.

vCash
    Being the embodiment of Italian football you must adhere strictly to 4-4-2 Defensive. You can use movement arrows but no WIB/WOB and mentality must be set to Defensive.

So you have to use the default 4-4-2 defensive tactic (the one with two DMC's), and you can't wib wob or change mentality but you can use movement arrows, so you can have arrows on the DMC to MC etc

vCash
    Ok, thanks for the precision, but the mentality of the 4 4 2 defensive default tactic is NORMAL!!! If I understand , you have to change the mentality to defensive.
    So i have not respected the rules for the tactic (it did not help me!!! ).
    However, i've tested a lot of tactics, and I'm surprised that you can succeed this challenge with a base in 4 4 2 defensive, even with arrows (it's the worst default tactic).
    Please Generalsmuts, if your third year is another time a success, can you post the tactic you used? I'm curious, and perhaps that I will make this challenge again!!!

vCash
    I'm half way into season 3 and it's already going downhill! Looking like a massive fluke last season.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to generalsmuts For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Perhaps lucky second season!!!
    Good luck to save your head!!!!
    tell us how it finished!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by generalsmuts View Post
    Fantastic first season marred only by retirements hampering my points potentials going forward. The defensive nature and winning most games 1-0 is a grind but winning is winning!

Star signings have been Shearer, Canizares, Desailly, Pannucci, Suker and Lizarazu and Bosvelt and Couto have been steady contributors. Got Bergkamp, Chiesa and Cocu coming in this season and legends like Baggio, Di Matteo, Schmeichel and Djorkaeff in the reserves to make up the numbers so my squad stopped moaning about depth.

Just had to reload the save thanks to Boban retiring immediately due to injury and me not being able to get a screenshot of his games beforehand. Hope this isn't viewed as cheating at all! I had Ielpo for last season but he retired before he could start scoring points.

Points for scoring season 1 then;

Serie A title = 0 points (finished 2nd to Roma)
    Italian Cup = 50 points
    European Cup = 400 points (Beat Roma on penalties in the final)
    Keeping a clean sheet in any competitive match = 175 points (35 clean sheets)
    Season bonus for 1995 player = 300 points (Pannucci, Maldini, Costacurta, Galli, Boban, Albertini, Desailly, Simone, Stroppa, Lentini, Donadoni, Rossi)
    European Award for players = 30 points (Shearer European Footballer Of The Year and Striker of the Year, Maldini Defender of the Year)

TOTAL = 955 points

EDITED TO INCLUDE EUROPEAN AWARDS
    Very much a fluke last season and this one was a real slog. Barely competitive in the league and the 1-0's only increased this season.

Points for scoring season 2:

Serie A title = 0 points (finished 5th)
    Italian Cup = 50 points
    European Cup = 0 points (beaten by Ajax ironically)
    Keeping a clean sheet in any competitive match = 125 points (25 clean sheets)
    Season bonus for 1995 player = 275 points (Pannucci, Maldini, Albertini, Desailly, Eranio (I've doubled his score this season as I didn't account for him in last seasons points), Simone, Stroppa, Lentini, Donadoni, Rossi)
    European Award for players = 0 points

TOTAL POINTS - 450 points

29. The Following User Says Thank You to generalsmuts For This Useful Post:

AMC