Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League

vCash
    we dominated napoli and man city in the group stages. we beat the team 7:0 which kicked man utd out of the comp. we are a top team ourselves.

the only team i fear is barca. i think we have a shot against real. nevertheless, we are certainly the third best team left in the comp. so yeah, we can go a long way with a bit of luck in the draw.
    doesnt matter which team is meeting barca in the quarters, they are all fucked (even real madrid)

vCash
    I don't know, I like Bayern, but at the moment you have far too many egos in your team. Not to mention you completely neglect Olić who is a machine.
    Yes, Gomez scores a lot, but he plays Berba-style. It just won't work against better defences.

vCash
    What a fucking comeback from Chelsea!

3 in 3 for Roberto, and his subs were brilliant choice, was a little iffy bout Nando at first, but he really did add something to the attacking threat. The change-up of the tactics was good aswell, seems suited for the job. Maybe he should be given the job? But the real test comes with Man City. Thought Didier was outstanding, like the rest of the team, and fully deserved to go through. Best CL shwoing since the Barca match back in 2005.

vCash
    Could do with you beating City :yes:

vCash
    Except that Napoli should've scored at least 3 goals in the first half.

Chelsea's approach is one-dimensional and outdated; just cross the ball from wherever you are and hope for the best. Then again, you can't play in any other way with such a squad.

That said, Napoli didn't deserve to go through after conceding 4 goals out of nothing, while having missed a few really good chances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post

Chelsea's approach is one-dimensional and outdated; just cross the ball from wherever you are and hope for the best. Then again, you can't play in any other way with such a squad.

That said, Napoli didn't deserve to go through after conceding 4 goals out of nothing, while having missed a few really good chances.
    Kind of summed us up in a barrell, the problem we had wasn't AvB but the squad. But we still deserved to win, and Napoli weren't as good as they were in the first leg, they seemed more nervous on the attack, and our defense was up for a test.

vCash
    I think that italian managers should have learned a lesson about hanging from the crossbar long ago.

Chelse won because Napoli refused to attack and be the ball handler.

vCash
    Zan, what you make of Luiz performance the other night? Except for that howler of a clearance near the end he looked quite good. I think he will learn the nitty gritty aspects of defending from now until the end of the season and become the player Chelsea were hoping for (expecting). Probably thought he'd compliment the toughness and ruggedness (and lack of pace) of Terry but seems to be a big language barrier across the Chelsea back four at the minute which I guess don't help.

vCash

I concur.

Also, if I were a CHelsea supporter I would be pretty pissed at the team: these matches proved that they simply boycotted AVB.

vCash
    Apoel Nicosia v Real Madrid
    Marseille v Bayern Munich
    Benfica v Chelsea
    AC Milan v Barcelona

discuss!

vCash
    Semi-final draw
    Marseille/Bayern Munich v APOEL Nicosia/Real Madrid
    Benfica/Chelsea v AC Milan/Barcelona

vCash
    great draw...

vCash
    Bayern - Barcelona seems to be the final everybody wants

except the spanish, who root for a Real-Barcelona

but I would like to see Benfica/Chelsea (doesnt matter which one, I think this is the time for one of them win the trophy) against APOEL

vCash
    Real M. - Barcelona final, for sure.

People overrate Bayern after that 7-0 stuffing.

vCash

Bayern - Barca would be nice

in case bayern and real advance, it'll be a great semi-final

when we last won the CL, we beat Real in the semi too. Coincidence?

vCash

People expect help for Bayern from refs, as the final is in Münich!

vCash
    thats an absolute nonsense statement

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Zan, what you make of Luiz performance the other night? Except for that howler of a clearance near the end he looked quite good. I think he will learn the nitty gritty aspects of defending from now until the end of the season and become the player Chelsea were hoping for (expecting). Probably thought he'd compliment the toughness and ruggedness (and lack of pace) of Terry but seems to be a big language barrier across the Chelsea back four at the minute which I guess don't help.
    Has started to learn from Terry a bit more, but it was probably one of his best performances so far. He seemed composed enough to be at hand when it was needed, while also adding the attacking element which most Chelsea fans kind of expect from him. He still had the odd moment where he made a couple of mistakes, but was always ready to go for it. If Tom Kalas, who is one of our better prospects, makes it into the first team - whose kind of has the same style of Luiz in pace and attack but also with the mind-set for going in for whatever tackle and making sure the opposition can't have a shot, could either work well with Luiz in the center of the defence, or maybe force Luiz in a more defensive midfeilder role - and Kalas is one of our brightest talents.

The language barrier card, i think, might start to dull down over the next couples of months, and like you said, Luiz could finally nail down the consistency that he hasn't shown so far. Many Chelsea fans call him unreliable in big games, and wants to see more of a Cahill and Terry partnership, but i think he has started to be more alerted since Carlo left, and might be a better player for that. He needs a little more work around using his strength against the opposition a bit mote, but i think he could be a foundation of a big transition that has been delayed for so long. Buy, i guess that comes down to who replaces AvB in the summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post

vCash
    Pat, mate, sorry that Benfica cant play Bayern until the final... and the odds of that happening are not good...

1/8 I'd say...

vCash
    Apoel ftw

vCash
    awesome meme clay

tbh, i think the odds of benfica vs. bayern in the final are non-existent, not if you have to play Barca over 2 legs

nevertheless, we can be happy with the draw. marseille in the quarters is certainly possible and of course it gets difficult against real then but still better than meeting Barca.

you happy with chelsea in the quarters? i think you got a realistic chance and benfica in semis would be sensational for your team i guess (both prestige-wise and financially)

vCash
    APOEL will not only win CL, will also win club's world cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post

I'm a Bayern fan, Pat...I just don't see them as good enough to challenge for the title. In my opinion, that team that lost to Inter in the final were much better than what we see now...

vCash
    no way that team was better, especially not much better

2010 line-up vs. 2012 team

GK: Butt / Neuer: despite neuer having had a few blunders this season, he is still the better goalie obv
    DL: Badstuber / Alaba - Rafinha: about even since Badstuber never liked playing on the sides
    DR: Lahm / Lahm: no diff obv
    DC: Badstuber / Demichelis: Badstuber way better with another 2 years experience under his belt, great at making passes to open the game
    DC: Boateng / Van Buyten: about even, Boateng still needs to learn a fair bit though
    DMC: Schweinsteiger / Schweinsteiger: same
    DMC: Van Bommel / Kroos - Luiz Gustavo: Compared to Kroos, they are 2 different players, van Bommel is great defensively, Kroos a threat going forward, if we'd play against Barca in the final though I'd say he plays Luiz Gustavo or so, taking a more defensive approach, in that case van Bommel would be better
    AMR: Robben / Robben: Robben was in the form of his life 2 years ago, hasnt quite reached that yet this season due to injuries but picked it up lately and still got a month
    AML: Altintop / Ribery: that is the match-up which massively puts it in favour of the 2012 team. Ribery is playing the best season in his life so far, Altintop is plain shit.
    AMC: Müller / Müller: no diff
    SC: Olic / Gomez: despite Olic playing great in the 2010 campaign, he is still no Gomez.

so yeah, no way that team in 2010 was much better, if you play defensively, you even got a world class player like Müller or Kroos coming off the bench.

Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast