Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League

vCash
    If you look at the team in the final match itself, then I agree. However, the squad in general was different, their attitude was quite different, better. I can't see how Bayern could reach the final this year, let alone win the CL. There's just no way.
    I'm ready to make a bet with you on that.

vCash
    I'm actually hoping they might upset things, I don't feel like another Clasico to be honest.

vCash
    I think Barca won;t have that easy of the game and Milan may cause a surprise.

Wouldn't cross out Bayern yet either. They don't have that hard games after all .

vCash
    Good win for Chelsea, couple things I picked up just seeing the 2 min highlights...

1) Playing Benfica (portugal), Chelsea were the only team to have portugal players in their team.... :afro:
    2) Torres scuffed that cross so fecking bad :slap:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    Good win for Chelsea, couple things I picked up just seeing the 2 min highlights...

The match itself was awful. This Chelsea is sooo boring, that Ancelotti's team seems like modern top football compared to it.

Benfica was even worse. I was waiting for some quality, some technique, short passing, and what happened? Pass to wing, runrunrun, cross into box, Chelsea defender clears. Jesus, like I was watching Stoke or Bolton, not a portuguese team... Against the droids of Chelsea. Disappointing.

1) Playing Benfica (portugal), Chelsea were the only team to have portugal players in their team.... :afro:
    To be fair, it is not easy to keep players in Portugal.
    Benfica big buck sales in the last 2 seasons:
    David Luiz (Chelsea), Di Maria (Real MAdrid), Ramires (Chelsea), Jimenez (Zaragoza), Coentrao (Real Madrid)
    That is half of their starting lineup, it seems that they can only keep players who are over their prime (Saviola, Aimar), or need a year of improvement before leaving (Javi Garcia, Gaitán).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    The match itself was awful. This Chelsea is sooo boring, that Ancelotti's team seems like modern top football compared to it.

Benfica was even worse. I was waiting for some quality, some technique, short passing, and what happened? Pass to wing, runrunrun, cross into box, Chelsea defender clears. Jesus, like I was watching Stoke or Bolton, not a portuguese team... Against the droids of Chelsea. Disappointing.

David Luiz (Chelsea), Di Maria (Real MAdrid), Ramires (Chelsea), Jimenez (Zaragoza), Coentrao (Real Madrid)
    That is half of their starting lineup, it seems that they can only keep players who are over their prime (Saviola, Aimar), or need a year of improvement before leaving (Javi Garcia, Gaitán).
    Mark

vCash

Even most of the players you mentioned aren't from Portugal... Think Coentrao is the only one?

vCash
    Mark
    If you find it offensive, just replace Stoke with a random "signature hard working english side". I don't know, Hull, Blackpool, Sunderland, you know this type.

vCash
    I dont find it offensive at all :slap:

vCash
    Ramires has some engine

vCash
    If you find it offensive, just replace Stoke with a random "signature hard working english side". I don't know, Hull, Blackpool, Sunderland, you know this type.
    However, Stoke are a prime example of a "hard working team", i.e. a bunch of limited players in a yawn-fest.

vCash
    All non English teams (esp European ones) are dirty diving cunts :tup:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post
    However, Stoke are a prime example of a "hard working team", i.e. a bunch of limited players in a yawn-fest.
    True

I really like some premiership teams, but usually those who have more smart players. These are mostly top teams, and on occasion a smaller side with a good manager (Redknapp-West Ham in the past, now Martinez-Wigan).

That is only personal preference, as I like watching tactically aware players over determined or enthusiastic ones. That's why Serie A is still my favourite league: even really small teams have cunning players with organized teamplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fodster
    All non English teams (esp European ones) are dirty diving cunts
    I guess Chelsea (Drogba) and Liverpool (Gerrard) doesn't count as 'real english' then

Also this is a cultural thing. In Argentina or Italy there is no such thing as a sympathetic loser, only winning at all cost matters. And especially in these countries the methods used for winning doesn't matter either. Once you understand that, you will understand why an italian will not complain much for getting a yellow for diving*. Or how a sports commentator can say 'Bravissimo, _brilliant foul_" when an attacker stops the opposing defender when he wants to play a long ball. It is unsporting, but entertaining and smart at the same time.

*for them, diving is only a tool used to fool the ref. They will accept that it didn't work and take the yellow (with a little drama to please the crowd). In the premiership Gerrard can complain for minutes because he thinks that his manhood or whatever is at stake, if he gets a yellow for diving....
    Last edited by shikaka; 28-03-12 at 10:07 AM.

vCash
    That is only personal preference, as I like watching tactically aware players over determined or enthusiastic ones. That's why Serie A is still my favourite league: even really small teams have cunning players with organized teamplay.
    Swansea are a good example of this. Very clever and economical with possession

vCash
    Good thing Gerrard and the likes never dive.

vCash
    so hard to know if that is sarcasm or your honest opinion

nevertheless, everybody talked chelsea down, especially after the first leg loss in napoli ( beezer) but fact is that they are the only team left flying the english flag.
    i thought they played quite well yesterday since benfica is a strong team at home. so a 1-0 win in estadio da luz is more than enough. nevertheless, benfica was boring. first game i watched of them and they didnt impress at all. not sure if they just got a bit of luck in the draw so far or if anything else happened. perhaps clay can give us some info.

they will only go as far as the semi-final but thats not a bad season for them cl-wise considering all the things happening in and around the club this season

vCash
    Watched the Chelsea game and thought they did very well, Di Matteo set out the right team and tactics to win the game and it paid off. Despite their possession and clear skill on the ball, they struggled to find a way through the Chelsea players and resorted to pathetic dives and attempts to win freekicks around the box. Well played, Chelsea

As for the Stoke comment Typical foreigners...
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    True

I really like some premiership teams, but usually those who have more smart players. These are mostly top teams, and on occasion a smaller side with a good manager (Redknapp-West Ham in the past, now Martinez-Wigan).

I guess Chelsea (Drogba) and Liverpool (Gerrard) doesn't count as 'real english' then

Also this is a cultural thing. In Argentina or Italy there is no such thing as a sympathetic loser, only winning at all cost matters. And especially in these countries the methods used for winning doesn't matter either. Once you understand that, you will understand why an italian will not complain much for getting a yellow for diving*. Or how a sports commentator can say 'Bravissimo, _brilliant foul_" when an attacker stops the opposing defender when he wants to play a long ball. It is unsporting, but entertaining and smart at the same time.

*for them, diving is only a tool used to fool the ref. They will accept that it didn't work and take the yellow (with a little drama to please the crowd). In the premiership Gerrard can complain for minutes because he thinks that his manhood or whatever is at stake, if he gets a yellow for diving....
    Was just messing mate to get a reaction from a certain someone.... he didnt let me down, a whole 20 mins :hi:

Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post
    Good thing Gerrard and the likes never dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    so hard to know if that is sarcasm or your honest opinion
    See above mateypops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    nevertheless, benfica was boring. first game i watched of them and they didnt impress at all. not sure if they just got a bit of luck in the draw so far or if anything else happened. perhaps clay can give us some info.
    Luck?
    They qualified against Twente (2-2, 3-1)
    They had Man United (1-1, 3-3) in the group as well as Basel (2-0, 1-1)...
    After that they got Zenit (2-0, 2-3).

What was lucky in their CL season is that when they played in Leningrad, Malafeev was injured, and a young goalie tried to replace him. Poor lad had a big role in Benfica's 2 goals.

I think this is nothing special, like getting Apoel or Inter this year. Similar to Schalke last year, did nothing special, were not particularly good, but still managed to get far.

vCash
    Tie isn't over me, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Benfica went and won at the bridge.

vCash
    Anyone else think Torres is garbage and scuffed the cross?

vCash
    No, I thought he did very well to be fair. Led the line well and although he tends to have a habit of running down the flanks instead of staying in the middle, his crosses were always met by a Chelsea player. He was bolloxed in the last 10 minutes though
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    U would disagree :slap:

vCash
    I can't have an opinion? For the goal, he always looked to cross it in so I don't see how he scuffed it.

I'd have to see it again though and it didn't seem that way to me last night.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    I think Torres played very well , he is starting to look like something again .

For the cross he was both unlucky and lucky at the same time , a goal is a goal and he got an assist .

Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast