Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 59656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1734

Thread: How are you doing?

vCash
    Been offered a club job, but not sure if I should take it, it's Fulham in Prem, not sure if it will interfere with my England team duties

vCash
    If you play a wib-wobbed formation with loads of English Fulham players you'll have the pretty much the same club and international sides

vCash
    As a Tottenham fan I remember one of our most talented teams being the 2011-12 team in Harry Redknapp's last season as manager.

This team contained the excellent attacking trio of Bale, Modric, and van der Vaart, along with Ledley King and Scott Parker.

Having spent most of the season in third place behind the title chasing Manchester City and United, Tottenham wobbled towards the end and finished 4th. This meant Tottenham missed out on a Champions League spot as Chelsea (who finished 6th) went on to win the European Cup.

That team started to break up with Modric and van der Vaart leaving in the summer of 2012, along with the retirement of Ledley King.

I set myself a season long challenge. I wanted to better Redknapp's 4th place finish.

There were certain restrictions I placed on myself.

I used the Autumn 2011 Data Update
    I made Emmanuel Adebayor a permanent sighning.
    I signed Ryan Nelsen from Blackburn in January (as Redknapp did)
    No other transfers
    Default tactics
    Default training methods

I started off playing 4-5-1 and had some decent results, but was quite a bit behind Man. Utd. Adebayor as the lone striker was on fire, averaging a goal a game during the first half of the seaon. Modric in midfield was averaging an assist per game. The problem was, van der Vaart wasn't really performing in the forward arrow midfield role, and Bale weren't doing much as the LM.

About halfway through I adopted the 5-3-2 formation, dropped Bale, Lennon and van der Vaart, brought in Kaboul mostly to play alongside King and Gallas in the back three. Huddlestone or Sandro partnered Modric and Parker in a flat midfield three (no arrows) and bought in Defoe to partner Adebayor up front.

This worked a treat. We've becoming incredibly strong defensively, and are still scoring goals. Adebayor's goals have dried up but now Modric is scoring a goal a game.

I've now finished game number 36. We are top scorers with 69 goals, have the second best defence having conceded just 16, and have just clinched the title! Adebayor is on 19 prem goals from 30 starts. Parker is the top tackler averaging 5.2 tackles per game, but the real star is Modric with 16 goals and 16 assists from 36 starts. All achieved using no forward arrows in his MC role. He is always set to playmaker btw.

Got knocked out of the League Cup in the Quarter Final by Man Utd, Wolves put us out of the FA Cup in the 5th round, and was very unfortunate to be knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Juventus at the semi final stage, on away goals after two Man of the Match performances by Buffon.

I've really enjoyed this short save. No wib wobbing, no tactics that I've created myself, no intense training regimes. No trawling through players to make loads of signings, just found a tactic that suited the players I have at my disposal.

Thank you for reading this.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Libertine For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So I came back to CM01-02 after a while of not playing. I play with Santos FC, where I created Robinho (basically copy-past Diego).
    Very good first seson so far, I won the state championship, the cup, the cup of champions, and I'm 2nd in national championship. I won so far all I was in.
    Robinho really disappointing, the others are good (Diego, Renato, Elano,... the good Santos generation of early 2000s). Not easy to get good players (clubs really don't want to sell to the same division, and it can be expensive).
    Having fun so far, which is the most important since I tend to drift out of games I do (well, of everything I do).

EDIT
    Aaaannddd... I lose the national championship on the second leg of the finals. I hate those leagues. Those leagues where you have a fake championship for 30 games, and in the end, it's the third of that fake championship that wins because he won ONE game after the championship is over. That's rewarding ONE game and not the consistency over 30.
    Last edited by Romano.338; 06-01-17 at 08:49 PM.

vCash
    Let's hope they've allocated more than one byte for 'number of league games without losing'.

vCash
    I've won the Champions League with an all English Chelsea side in the 3rd season, very pleased (sold all my foreign players after one season) as it's the first time I've done this - in fact we won everything I think (league, league and FA cup too)
    3.9.68 data

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1369phil For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So we've gone 356 serie A games without losing (that's 10 and a half seasons), and it's the final game of the season. Every game feels like an exam. We're playing Fiorentina away, they take the lead early but it's 1-1 at half time. Not much happens in the next half, we're creating most of the chances but we're not scoring. Then this..

Serie A so far:

It's my first game ever in Italy where I use 'normal' mentality through every game all the time, so I'm not yet sure if we're unbeatable because this new tactic is so incredibly good or if it's because of the mentality.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicAnt For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Inspired by mcnamee19's Nottingham Forest story I decided to give myself the same challenge. The choice fell on Middlesbrough and the goal is to get a european trophy to Teesside.

Btw I'm playing April 2016 data on taipan 2.21.

The squad was rather suited for a 442, so I created a really offensive nww inspired by Psmith's 442 and the classic 442baz that I loved back in the dark ages.

Taking a closer look at the squad I found that I needed a reliable keeper. Only man for the task was veteran Juan Calatayud who was brought in from Kolkata for 170k. I kinda regret this now as this will probably be his last season and therefore having "wasted" one of my 4 start-out transfers.

Next we needed a target man to sit on top alongside Rhodes. The choice fell on Glenn Murray who wasn't a part of Eddie Howe's plans for the coming season. We got him for 1.6 and as he has hit the pitch running it seems to be a real bargain.

Lastly we needed a captain, so I brought in personal favourite Lee Wallace from Rangers for 325k.

For the first season I am obliged to use one youngster as a substitute for the majority of the games. Young Harry Chapman caught my eye and the lad has a phenomenal dribbling ability. I hope he will develop and go with me all the way as we try to conquer the world.

So far we are doing well and are undefeated for the first 6 matches so I am optimistic that we might get promoted the first time around. The big challenge will be to retain our best players. Sevilla and Levante are already sniffing around Daniel Ayala. I have given him a new 9 year contract and hope that will do the trick.

More to follow...
    Last edited by kaf; 15-01-17 at 02:37 AM.

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAnt View Post
    So we've gone 356 serie A games without losing (that's 10 and a half seasons), and it's the final game of the season. Every game feels like an exam. We're playing Fiorentina away, they take the lead early but it's 1-1 at half time. Not much happens in the next half, we're creating most of the chances but we're not scoring. Then this..

Serie A so far:

It's my first game ever in Italy where I use 'normal' mentality through every game all the time, so I'm not yet sure if we're unbeatable because this new tactic is so incredibly good or if it's because of the mentality.
    I would have actually cried losing that game. Well done, amigo.

vCash
    I've decided to go back where I always go back: playing with Marseille. With the original database (which means a team really not great, but it's good to go back to the early 2000s).

Bought Tymoschuk (D/DMC) and Ejiofor (CB) in first winow, followed during winter by Gustaf Anderson (ST) and Karagounis (CAM).
    I wanted to play a 442 but I have no wingers. So I decided to go with a central 442. But I didn't have enough good central midfilder. So I ended up looking at what I had the most: CBs and STs, so I went for a 523.
    Season went well, I finished 2d behind Lyon, with a good gap between me and 3rd. Went in semi-final of league cup, and got out of national cup at first round. My strikers Fernandao and Bakayoko surprised me, they scored very decently (34 combined).

For season 2, I brought in a few good players (Lassissi, Luca Toni, Maresca, Berson, Armand...) and I'm more thinking about a 41212, 433 or something like that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romano.338 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Lassissi and Toni are two great signings mate, I'm confident they'll take you to the title

vCash
    After what must be well over five years, I've stumbled across this game once again. I signed back up to the forums a few years ago but never played the game. I was tidying my wardrobe room and came across a lot of old junk at the back, nestled amongst it being my external HDD. I plugged it in remembering all the old films and music I had stored but was knocked back after completely forgetting about this game. Sat there was a folder with all my old tactics, training schedules and the .iso to the game. After coming back to the forums and seeing all the great work by the update and patching teams, I thought it'd be rude not to give it a go.

Old habits landed me in the bottom tier of Italian football, taking over rock bottom L'Aquila in Lega Pro 2B just before Christmas 2016. With just 8 points from 16 games, it was a bit of an uphill task just to regain ground on 17th place. I'd decided I wanted to play the old Italian way of 3 at the back: a libero and two stoppers along with two wing-backs. The squad didn't really suit this formation, well they didn't really suit any if I'm honest, but I know most of them are being sent packing at the earliest opportunity so they can suck it up. Anyway, the first couple of games went really well and we quickly caught up the rest of the pack with some high-scoring (/high-conceding) wins. Things settled down at the back and the clean sheets soon started to roll in as we made a respectable mid-table finish in the end. Almost miraculously we were still in the Coppa Italia Lega Pro (aka Italian LDV Vans Trophy) and even more miraclously we won the bloody thing. Quite a few of the panic free transfer signings I made mid-season actually turned out to be rather rubbish so were promptly transfer-listed and my squad going into 2017/18 was the five or six decent guys I inherited plus a couple of cheap, young signings from (I assume) Serie D side plus the classic Italian method of exploiting the loan market to full effect. Often I've got just half a season out of a loan signing for him to be snapped up by a third party because he becomes unhappy and I can't afford a fee.

2017/18 was straightforward and most of the problems were created by ourselves; we spent much of the season bouncing between top and 6th only for the competition to absolutely capitulate down the stretch and hand us the title with not the greatest points total ever seen. The loan signings in particular proved the difference; I was lucky really, I use attribute masking so along with my low club reputation I didn't have the biggest pool of choice. The miracles in L'Aquila continued, though, as despite struggling to win convincingly in the league on a regular basis, we absolutely steamrolled everyone in the Coppa Italia Lega Pro, retaining the title against the higher ranked Siena in the final. Reading back I sound pretty miserable considering I won league and cup, but if you'd played along with me, you'd know what I mean.

The jump to Lega Pro 1B proved nothing but a baby step. The opposition were often just as bad and save for the top 4 teams and an inexplicable Christmas blip, it was a relative breeze. Again no money to speak of due to poor attendances, we made do with exclusively signing loan players. Twelve guys were borrowed and then promptly sold elsewhere at various stages of the season but I got my use out of them and a couple of pure lucky gambles in the free transfer market in the late season were enough to keep the squad a step ahead of much of the rest. Lecce and Lucchese were the main contenders and spent the season occupying the top two positions. The board pissed me off by becoming concerned with recent results after losing two in a row, so I promptly applied for the vacant Milan job. I didn't get it. Back to reality. I was content to compete through the playoffs but a series of draws from the top two brought me right back into it by April and we travelled to Lecce in game 32 of 34 probably needing a win as we sat two points back. Lucchese had themselves been beaten by Lecce the previous week and now sat a further three points back of ourselves. We won 3-2 with a last minute winner, bringing back memories of my teen years dancing around celebrating like it was something life-critical. The Mrs thinks I'm nuts, but fuck her. Game 33 was a home game to the dreadful Juve Stabia now managed by original data legend Matteo Brighi. An easy win for Lecce too meant I still required a win on the final day to secure the title and promotion. We only drew. Lecce lost. Ha, get in. Parma beat me on penalties in the final in an attempt to win an unprecedented third Coppa Italia Lega Pro on the trot but that's by the by. I can assign people squad numbers now. That's when you know you've made it.

The first Serie B campaign 2019/20 has just started with the Coppa Italia group stage and we got promptly dumped out of that one. Whoops. Signings needed. No money to speak of again though but at least we're filling the massive 4999 stadium now. Lots of loan bids in for Serie A hot prospects as I approach the September 1st deadline in DEFCON 1. They're interested though, so I should get the majority. Serves me right for trying to compete in Serie B with a Serie C2B-calibre squad. I'm loyal to the guys who've got me here though. My goalkeeper and striker are getting a bit out of their depth now, the bullet may have to be bit in those departments soon.

Onwards and upwards though.

TBC.
    Last edited by hodgy; 16-01-17 at 03:14 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hodgy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Lassissi and Toni are two great signings mate, I'm confident they'll take you to the title
    I indeed won the title, in a somehow complicated season. Changed tactics frequently, had issues in the league to beat even bad team, I was like mid-table or a bit above for a long time. But in Europe, I was beating AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona,...
    Finally toward the end of the season I won 15 consecutive games to win the league, the national cup, and to my huge surprise, reach the CL final (lost to Barcelona).
    Toni was a good signing, Lassissi was inconsistent and a pain in the butt. Ejiofor was a roc in defense I had never heard of him before, not even in CM) and Maresca had a very good season too, like Karagounis.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Romano.338 For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Congrats mate, what's the plan now then, you staying with Marseille or going to move on? Hard luck with the CL Final but getting that far was a bonus in itself.

All the best in Serie B hodgy, loyalty to the players that got you this far is commendable but as you've seen for yourself quality at the end of the day is what gets results, so hopefully you can get some of them loan players in, and with you out of the Coppa Italia already you can concentrate on league business for the rest of the season.

vCash
    Now I'm definitely staying. I very very rarely changed club in my CM/FM games, and playing with Marseille <3
    I would love to achieve what AtomicAnt did with Juventus. DO what Alex Ferguson did with MU. Sutff like that. I'll probably stop before, as usual though.
    I forgot how it's sometimes hard to buy players in this edition. So it's not easy. But slowly I try to build a dynasty.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romano.338 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm back already! Man, I love how quick you can motor through the game.

The Serie B season 2019/0 was not looking promising early on. I had a threadbare squad with next to no money in the transfer kitty. Thanks to the mental loan system in Italy, I made about 10 loan bids, offering to pay no wages, for young Serie A talent. I ended up with six of them, three of which are absolute world beaters at this level: a libero, a box-to-box midfielder and a skillful forward. All of a sudden my tactics have hit home and I'm keeping clean sheets for the hell of it, 16 in 24 games and only 10 conceded. Games are often finishing 1-0 or 0-0. Three up in this league though and even though it's a long slog still (18 games to go), I'm pretty confident we can gain promotion. Everyone is beating each other up and that's allowed me to open a small cushion on 4th place for now.

The Juventus job came up in October when Allegri jumped to Man City, and as this was intended to be a long-term career save rather than a one-club save, I wanted that so bad. I thought my enhanced reputation gave me a good shot, but alas they went with Marcelo Gallardo who had been doing wonders at Sporting. Fair enough. What's happened in Serie B since though, I might have to see this through at L'Aquila. At least until I can establish them as a Serie A club.

My overriding thought from this comeback save is that I never thought myself as a great creator of tactics on this game so: I've either improved massively in that regard in my long hiatus, I've got massively lucky at times in this save or Italy is easy to play if you exploit the loan market for all it's worth.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to hodgy For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    So, I skipped the latest alphabet game because I didn't feel like changing clubs all the time (and a competitive game like that would get priority over other saves for me). Started on another project instead, which definitely is one where I'll stay at the club for a while. I've never taken a tiny club and won continental or worldwide fame with it, but I'd like to do that. I took over Caernarfon Town in the Welsh Premier League, and while that is a top division it's probably the poorest league in the game. The club also had insecure finances, and a tiny squad (including no goalkeepers). Seemed like a decent place to start for such a project. I also plan on playing non-wib-wob, and I've been tinkering a bit with 424 and 442 with a bunch of forward arrows as I want to play an attacking 4-4-2 formation but one that gives realistic results. I expect a lot of mediocre seasons, the goal for the first few seasons is a top half finish and if I'm lucky European qualification every now and then. I haven't set a time frame, but it wouldn't surprise me if 50 years pass and I still haven't won the champions cup.

Anyhooooo

First season done, and it went better than I had expected, mostly thanks to a very good cup run. Having no money and a small and weak squad, I scoured the market for scouts and then scoured it for halfways talented youngsters. 20 players came in for a total of 0, one player was sold for 100k. Wages far outweigh the income, so the finances are nice and red. A couple of board injections have helped a lot, but I don't expect them to be eternally patient.

League table:
    Spoiler!

We didn't participate in the Premier Cup and the League Cup isn't worth talking about, but in the Welsh Cup we had a good run, amongst the teams we beat were T.N. Solutions who were beaten 4-1 at their ground. That was probably our best game of the season. We made it all the way to the final, and after a close game our fans roared of joy just seconds before the full time whistle.

Spoiler!

The squad was terrible when I arrived, and while I have signed a lot of players and some of them are talented, I still think t's terrible. At least most of the players are young and I have pretty good coaches, and the board also agreed to upgrade the training facilities from "awful" to "in need of investment" during the season. Hopefully that and plenty of playing time will make them into decent or even good players in a few years. Here are some key players, all signed this season:

Spoiler!

I might get bored and drop this after a while, but for now at least I am enjoying it.

P.S. I noticed I have Sebastian Battaglia above all the screenshots. I can't be bothered to fix that now. :p

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I think I am in year 2222 now but for the last 2 or so decades i've had brilliant players/regens, but tactics are just soooo inconsistant! It is a good fight though when you are not winning all of the time, however my strikers are not getting over 40 goals a season, not like when i started out and had 146 in one season by Zlatan!

Maybe it's me!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MR2ONLY For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Year 2222!!!!! WTF my god that's some achievement.

vCash
    A season and a half in, and things are moving in the right dircetion I think. I've signed more players than I need, but I'm planning on selling a bunch of them to get some money in. Tiny stadium and no prize money to speak of in Wales, so player sales is about the only way I can get money in.
    Last year we were in a cup final, and somehow we managed to get in one this year too. Amongst the teams we beat on our way to the League Cup final were last year's second place finishing team Afan Lido whom we hammered 5-1 at home. The final was another of the games where the team really showed up and did an excellent job.

In the league it's not going that well, but a top half finish is definitely a possibility:

Some of the signing's I've done are showing some promise, and good central defenders are rarer than good strikers so I think I'll try to keep this pair for a while at least:

Spoiler!

I've started getting attention for some of my players, and I think there's a chance that the bank balance will be positive at the end of the season. I've made sure to get sell-on clauses in the transfer deals so hopefully these will bring in even more money in the future. Thompson, a forward, was my best rated player when I sold him but I have more strikers than I need that look like they can do a good enough job for now at least, so I was never in doubt whether to sell him.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Finished the 2002/3 season, and while we're not setting the world on fire yet things are moving in the right direction.

Slightly better league performance than last year, and a cup win on top of that (see last post), so I think I can safely say that things are progressing.

The squad is also better than it was last year, though it is still poor. Many of the players are young, though, and will hopefully only become better as they play and get older. My best player this season was Stephen O'neill, a new signing this season who has also become my captain. I expect him to be a cornerstone of my team in the coming years unless someone buys him.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pegster For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Tough project you got yourself there, Pegster. Keep it up!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The Career to be Built

Started a game where I am playing to just try to win and move on, but only when i cba with that team anymore or reached the heights. Just a save to get me back into the game after a while away on ODB, .68.

7.7.2001 - 31.8.2002 - Peterhead

Scottish Third Division Champions 01/02
    Scottish League Challenge Cup Winners 01/02

(Was clear leader in Second Division when left)

31.8.2002 - 28.6.2004 - Hearts

3rd Scottish Premier Division 02/03 (after being in relegation zone when i joined)
    Scottish Cup Winners 02/03
    Scottish Premier Division winners 03/04
    Scottish League Cup runners-up
    Scottish Cup Winners 03/04

28/6/2004 - Current - Newport

English Conference Winners 04/05
    English FA Trophy Winners 04/05

On quite a nice list of winning stuff, so hoping to create a few with Newport for a season or two before moving on. But hey, if the right job comes along

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Doing a similar game myself at the moment, although I've only kicked off.
    Few screens to be added to this post later, once i finish the first season

First use of the wib wob, looking OK, we'll see at the higher levels later in the game though...
    Last edited by 316'sRegen; 06-02-17 at 06:56 PM.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Long time reader of the forums, even the old Dugout forums, but thought I would post my current career progress. I have set myself the challenge to win every single league and cup in the game at least once (national, continental and International competitions). I started off in Argentina with Newell's Old Boys and romped to the Argentinian Second Division title with losing only one match. Then, for some reason due to me not needing to play in the Second Division playoffs, we went from December all the way through to August without playing a single match. The good form continued in to the second season by finishing 3rd in the Opening Stage of the Premier League season but then results severely dropped off. We were "languishing" in 8th place in the Closing Stage and unfortunately was given the boot.

It took a while to find another job, but Unnaryds GoIF in the Swedish Second Division job became available due to them getting promoted from a non-playable league and with no playing staff whatsoever. Thankfully due to no player restrictions in the league, I was able to bring in a lot of South American players I had scouted from my Newell days, as well as some decent Scandinavian talent and we romped the league losing two matches and won the subsequent play off matches. I know that it doesn't exactly count as a trophy but I have counted it as a league won anyway.

First season in the Swedish First Division was pretty tough, brought in a couple of new players to strength core areas and was pretty content with being a middle table team this season and push for the title in the next season but a run of good form has seen us climb up into the playoffs. Still awaiting to see who in the Allsvenskan I will play against in the promotion/relegation play off. Considering losing the playoff on purpose in order to push for the title and continue on my actual challenge of winning everything...

41. The Following User Says Thank You to mastah For This Useful Post: