Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: International Football

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    I can understand Cole not going. Woy has made it pretty clear that Baines is his first choice DL and I'd rather have a standout performer like Shaw as the backup than an old, slow Ashley Cole (who was great in his prime but lost his club position this year to a guy who isn't even a true DL)

What I can't believe is that England's 3rd and 4th choice DCs are Phil Jones and Chris Smalling? Remember when England used to have good depth at DC? where has that gone? surely you guys have better?

oh, and Cleverly on the standby list? really?
    Last edited by Craig Forrest; 13-05-14 at 01:50 PM.

vCash
    Just for the fact that Cole has barely played, I think he has called it right.

Shaw seems to show no fear. If I'm honest, he probably comes up against better (or on a par) players every week in the league than he would be likely to face at the World Cup so I don't think he'd be overrawed.

I think Carrick is unlucky though.

vCash
    There are plenty of other DCs out there playing for teams OUTSIDE the big teams who are capable of doing a job. Ryan Shawcross wasn't even mentioned as a potential call up when Jones was expected to be ruled out. Instead, the talk was about Steven Caulker who is part of a RELEGATED team that finished bottom!

I think I did this last time for Euro '12 but let's have an interesting look at the overall rating of those Englishmen who were consistent enough in the EPL this season:

G: John Ruddy, Joe Hart, Ben Foster
    D: John Terry, Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Joel Ward, Luke Shaw, Steven Caulker, Curtis Davies, Ryan Shawcross
    M: Steven Gerrard, Adam Lallana, Adam Johnson, Raheem Sterling, Jason Puncheon, Kevin Nolan, Steve Sidwell, Mark Noble
    S: Danny Sturridge, Wayne Rooney, Rickie Lambert

Very interesting that only 11 players in the actual squad are listed above.

Most of the names above have made it in based on their games played and such. There's a lot of players missing probably because they missed chunks of the season and lost form. Meanwhile, this group of players have continued to play week in and week out and get overlooked by the big name players.
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Joel Ward is in WhoScored English player of the season as is Curtis Davies (presume it's only EPL hence no Forster instead of Hart). Have heard Davies having a great season, but he's been woeful the few times I've seen him (away Villa, home Newcastle)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    With no left footer in the 9 midfielders...
    Wilshere is a leftie, but I think your point still stands.

This is how my local rag reported the squad. Make sure you have a vomit-receptacle nearby when clicking the link, it's a godawful article and makes me weep at the thought that somebody was paid to write it.
    http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.u...ail/story.html

vCash
    I'm just surprised there's only two decent, recognised centre halfs in the squad (Cahill and Jagielka). If i was English i'd hate the fact that if one of them gets injured then there's a good possibility that Smalling has to play (since Jones is still injured). IMHO Smalling only gets picked because he's at Man Utd, i just don't rate him at all.

vCash
    That's perhaps a reflection on the state of affairs when it comes to English defenders right now. Would you rather Lescott was in amongst the contenders? Or bend over backwards for Terry? It's a very different state of affairs to 10 years ago when that was the one position that looked rock solid.

I completely agree with you regarding Smalling - never seen him look anywhere near an International-standard player, and seldom like a Premier League standard player. Andy Townsend would surely defend him by noting how athletic he is...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    I think that is a myth. He hasn't shown in years that he is supposedly an elite midfielder.

I'd rather play Henderson or Lampard.
    Agree with this

I don't get all the Wilshere hype - done very little in career so far IMO

vCash
    I'd have fecking taken Cole/Shaw AND Baines!

I'm sure 1 of 'em could play RB or MID

Walker crocked, Johnson frustratingly inconsistent

Not sure on Lamps choice but I'd play him in front of Wilshere

I like Cahill a a CB but struggling past that. Jags is OK but Smalling and Phil Jones have done fuck all to warrant places as CB's. As someone said, Curtis Davies and others have done a better job! They are both versatile buts part of their problem!

Flanno is a good option for cover but still very raw and not sure he'd cope TBH! From what I've seen that Stones guy looks class

Terry has been fecking superb and should be no.1 CB but the guy is such an arse then feck him

Shame that "smaller" teams get overlooked. It would never happen but if you want someone to keep the ball and things ticking then Leon Britton would have been fantastic. Although I think Gerrard has that role nailed down now with the Carrick omission. Mark mentioned a few above as well

I hope England do well as its good for the country to have feel good factor etc

Just as long as they don't win it.................

vCash
    I've always said Cole should have played as a ledt winger in the times where we just didn't have one. Baines could equally play there.
    That's also part of the problem with football at national level. No experimentation.

Imagine if Gareth Bale was still a left back!

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash
    the lack of quality and pace at the back is gonna cost England dearly. If I were Woy, I'd start Terry and Cahill as the CB2, but just because they are used to that partnering.

Ever since the Bosman ruling, the classic English CB is starting to disappear, because all the teams try to play continental. Where's the Pallisters/ Bruces/ Keowns/ Adams's/ and so forth?

Great midfield though, don't even need Wilshere. Got plenty talent and experience with Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and pace/ skill with Sterling and Oxlade. Depending on the defensive strengths of the opposition you can play Sturridge/X upfront where X is either Wellbeck (if oppo is slow at the D) or Lambert (if oppo is small at the D).

But all the national sides will play cautiously/ defensively and wait for their opponents to make a mistake, and that will happen at the fullback position if my analysis is correct. The CB's will be too slow to correct and that is why England will not proceed past the quarter finals.

Bring the hate, harrrr.

okok.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...cptobvious.jpg

vCash
    I'd have been on the phone begging John Terry to come back, been the best English CB in the game this year (surprisingly).

vCash
    The English media are your own ruination already. Stories like 'Why Barkley is better than Gazza' and 'The Young Guns' featuring 26 year old Adam Lallana. Nonsense.

Really bad since one was a headline on the BBC sport website which has gone to the darkside the last 2 years and started down the tabloid sensationalist reporting angle.

At least the fans have a sense of realism that's been missing from previous tournaments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    At least the fans have a sense of realism that's been missing from previous tournaments.
    I'd have my rose tinted specs on again if Ashley Cole was selected I guess the quarters will have to do...

vCash
    Quarters would be a success, last 16 is almost only a hope imo. The team/squad is arguably worse than 2010 and has a far tougher group. The style of play hasn't altered an awful lot since then either even if the structure of the team is more sensible now.

vCash
    In all honesty, even given the hype, I'm just hoping that we snag second place to qualify from the group stages! Cannot underestimate Uruguay and we simply cannot slip up against Costa Rica. Italy will certainly be a tough opponent as usual!

Second place is a realistic expectation imo.
    The Alphabet Game
    Try your luck at winning the top flight title with all 26 letters in the Alphabet!

vCash
    John Ruddy ain't bitter much is he

i think he is an average gk, very average.

was poor when he was on loan at motherwell a few years ago, and has had a right few holwers for norwich in his time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BeezerCeltic1967 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    He's absolute garbage, would pick another 4 before him. Infact would take Ashley Cole and stick him in goal before him

vCash
    Noticed that he said he texted Hart and Forster to say congrats but not to Foster. Not at all surprised since Foster retired and came back, don't have any respect for players like that.
    The Alphabet Game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In all honesty, even given the hype, I'm just hoping that we snag second place to qualify from the group stages! Cannot underestimate Uruguay and we simply cannot slip up against Costa Rica. Italy will certainly be a tough opponent as usual!

Second place is a realistic expectation imo.
    We will take 4points.

vCash
    Should have taken Ashley Cole...

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevchenko View Post
    Should have taken Ashley Cole...
    Baines wasn't your problem today.....

vCash
    Baines was poor IMO. Most if the trouble came his side

Johnson was his usual inconsistent wank as well

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Baines was poor IMO. Most if the trouble came his side

Johnson was his usual inconsistent wank as well
    The Pirlo dummy that lead to Marchisio's shot going through 2 England players wasn't the fault of Baines..... and Cahill lost Balotelli for goal number 2.... I suppose you could argue that the cross came from Baines' side, but players get crosses in all the time... the central defender who basically lost his man and gave him a free header deserves more blame than Baines

vCash
    Just though a lot of Italian play came down left. Maybe they targeted that as Rooney was on left side
    Didn't think Baines (or Johnson) did a great deal with ball or going forward
    But at one point Baines who is a great crosser was looking to whip it in and FOUR forwards - none were in box
    Must have been frustrating then for FB that have to play ball back or in Johnson case have sine speculative shots

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast