Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: International Football

vCash

International Football

So this morning I woke up to the sad news that (c)Ashley Cole has announced his retirement from International football after getting the call from Woy Hodgson that he will not be in his World Cup squad!

Despite being arguably the biggest prick off field in the last 10 years, for his country he has been an absolute star and given 110%.

I for one am truly disappointed in the gaffers decision not to take him, I personally felt he had two tournaments left in him!

Do you agree?

vCash
    Great decision by Woy IMO, will be great experience for Luke Shaw and Baines is more than capable of filling his predators. Baines offers a lot more going forward and from set pieces too

vCash
    Here is my lineup if I was woy:

GK: Joe Hart
    RB: Kyle Walker
    LB: Leighton Baines
    CB: Gary Cahill
    CB: Phil Jagielka
    DMC: Steven Gerrard
    MC: Jack Wilshire
    AMC: Wayne Rooney
    AML: Adam Lallana
    AMR: Raheem Sterling
    SC: Daniel Sturridge

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    Great decision by Woy IMO, will be great experience for Luke Shaw and Baines is more than capable of filling his predators. Baines offers a lot more going forward and from set pieces too
    See this is what's doing my head in, everyone I have spoke to has said "yeah but it's good experience for Luke Shaw".

This is the World Cup, correct me if I'm wrong but surely you take your BEST team to have a stab at winning the tournament, not to give someone experience and a few weeks in the sun? You take Cashley Cole!

vCash
    re-read what I said..............

I said I felt Baines is more than capable of filling Coles shoes and IMO offers more going forward than Cole, could even fill in at Left wing if required. There is nothing wrong with taking Shaw, imagie they win foirst two group games, qualify and he gets to experience a world cup game in the 3rd group game.... he ha spotential to be englands LB for the next 15 years!
    Last edited by Fods; 12-05-14 at 04:54 AM.

vCash
    I'm not arguing about Baines, I'd take Baines.

The point is what if Baines gets crocked on the first day of training , or trips over Joe Hart's cosmetics bag on the aeroplane and breaks his leg. - It's all guessing like you saying we win our first two games (great if we do!)

At the end of the day you take your BEST squad, Ashley Cole is one of if not, the best left back in the country. You take Ashley Cole.

vCash
    What has Wilshere done to warrant a place in the starting XI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevchenko View Post
    I'm not arguing about Baines, I'd take Baines.

The point is what if Baines gets crocked on the first day of training , or trips over Joe Hart's cosmetics bag on the aeroplane and breaks his leg. - It's all guessing like you saying we win our first two games (great if we do!)

At the end of the day you take your BEST squad, Ashley Cole is one of if not, the best left back in the country. You take Ashley Cole.
    If Baines gets crocked on the first day then Luke Shaw is an adequate replacement, he will either step up and establish himself or he will fail. You could take Cole and he could have a nightmare. For Cole to give it up so easy after beign told and then retiring just shows he knows himself he is probably not up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    What has Wilshere done to warrant a place in the starting XI
    Hes been injured for the most part but when he is fit he, alongside Gerrard are englands best midfielders...

vCash
    Hes been injured for the most part but when he is fit he, alongside Gerrard are englands best midfielders...
    I think that is a myth. He hasn't shown in years that he is supposedly an elite midfielder.

I'd rather play Henderson or Lampard.

vCash
    At the end of the day, Cole hasn't been playing enough this season to warrant a spot in the team. It's all down to the ineptness of Mourinho in playing a right back in his position which has led him to losing his national spot to Baines in the first place.

Hopefully we won't suffer without him but agree that he has been one of our most consistent players in the team for the last 10 years, hands down.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    I think that is a myth. He hasn't shown in years that he is supposedly an elite midfielder.

I'd rather play Henderson or Lampard.
    Are you referring to Gerrard or Wilshire?

vCash
    You could take Cole and he could have a nightmare.
    Ashley Cole, steps up to the big games involving his nation, fact. He would not have a nightmare. Why gamble on Shaw who would be 50/50. You take Ashley Cole.

vCash
    Wilshere, I think?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    At the end of the day, Cole hasn't been playing enough this season to warrant a spot in the team. It's all down to the ineptness of Mourinho in playing a right back in his position which has led him to losing his national spot to Baines in the first place.

Hopefully we won't suffer without him but agree that he has been one of our most consistent players in the team for the last 10 years, hands down.

But he still showed his class in the big games for Chelsea (especially the last month) and looked as solid as always. He's competitive and a winner, always has been. You take Ashley Cole!

vCash
    Ashley Cole, steps up to the big games involving his nation, fact. He would not have a nightmare. Why gamble on Shaw who would be 50/50. You take Ashley Cole.
    Opinions Beverenko opinions. I dont rate him!

vCash
    I dont rate him!
    Baffled.

vCash
    Id much prefer Baines. He can defend and is great in attack, great crossing and free kicks. No brainer!

Tell me a player in the last 10 years who has challenged Cole for that left Back spot? Wayne Bridge

He has been an automatic because there has been no one else....

vCash
    Kyle Walker is Pish, Glen Johnson is even more Pish... Not only that but Walker is still crocked isnt he?

So England need another RB.. Step forward Jon Flannagan

vCash
    In the last 10 years when Ashley Cole was in his prime he was one of if not THE best left back in the World, nevermind just for England.

At the end of the day if we ended up in a knockout match who would you rather have marking Ronaldo? Cole or Shaw? You take Ashley Cole.

vCash
    Wilshere. Hasn't been good this season, hasn't been good last season either.

vCash
    In the last 10 years when Ashley Cole was in his prime he was one of if not THE best left back in the World, nevermind just for England.

At the end of the day if we ended up in a knockout match who would you rather have marking Ronaldo? Cole or Shaw? You take Ashley Cole.
    I would rather have Baines marking Ronaldo. Cole is old and slow! You take Shaw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EL-TOPPO View Post
    Kyle Walker is Pish, Glen Johnson is even more Pish... Not only that but Walker is still crocked isnt he?

So England need another RB.. Step forward Jon Flannagan
    Think he will take Walker regardless. We're not half going to have players cutting it close to being fit come the first game!

vCash
    Wilshere has legs made of fibreglass.. Wouldn't you english rather see someone on the pitch that isn't gonna leave you worried he will get crocked within 10 mins of the match and leave you just two subs?

If I was Woy I wouldn't be putting him into the side (besides the fact he isn't match fit)..

vCash

vCash
    I'd have went with Cole as the defensive side of his game is better than Baines or Shaw. He negates that by being zero attacking threat the last few years which has probably cost him his spot. With no left footer in the 9 midfielders, the left fullback needs to provide the width which I think has gotten Shaw the nod as if Baines does get injured it's a like for like swap. Cole would offer something different in games that need to be locked down but except for perhaps the final group game, you need to go out and try win each game.

Still think Cole should have mad himself available for the standby list.

England squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

Final deadline for squad is June 2nd

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast