Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I Play/Manage Football For A Team" Thread

vCash
    hope you sold him a dummy there fods, then cut onto your right foot and lashed it home

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BeezerCeltic1967 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So it was Auburn v Newington in the "local derby" at the weekend.

We stormed into a 3-0 lead at half-time, with two assists from myself.
    However, we conceded in the 47th minute after some poor keeping, but had chance to make amends on the hour mark as we won a penalty.

As ever, I was screaming at the manager to let me have it, but for some reason the team decided to let our substitute winger take it because and I quote "He's never scored a goal before".

I naturally lost my shit and said if he misses this they are right back in it. Needless to say it was the equivalent of Beckham v Turkey and I genuinely believe that the ball is still traveling in orbit, I have never seen a miss like it.

Before you know it it was 3-3 and they were all over us and we were throwing bodies on the line as we desperately defended.

However, in the 88th minute Chenkz pops up with a winner from the left all of 25yrds out, on what was arguably the worst pitch I have ever played on in my life.

I then proceeded to show the youngsters how it is done and kept dragging the ball to the corner flag for the last 7minutes which ended up remaining.

Auburn 3-4 Newington.

HUGE game at the weekend as the last two unbeaten teams come to blows; Newington v Kellyville (BLK).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevchenko View Post
    So it was Auburn v Newington in the "local derby" at the weekend.

We stormed into a 3-0 lead at half-time, with two assists from myself.
    However, we conceded in the 47th minute after some poor keeping, but had chance to make amends on the hour mark as we won a penalty.

As ever, I was screaming at the manager to let me have it, but for some reason the team decided to let our substitute winger take it because and I quote "He's never scored a goal before".

I naturally lost my shit and said if he misses this they are right back in it. Needless to say it was the equivalent of Beckham v Turkey and I genuinely believe that the ball is still traveling in orbit, I have never seen a miss like it.

Before you know it it was 3-3 and they were all over us and we were throwing bodies on the line as we desperately defended.

However, in the 88th minute Chenkz pops up with a winner from the left all of 25yrds out, on what was arguably the worst pitch I have ever played on in my life.

I then proceeded to show the youngsters how it is done and kept dragging the ball to the corner flag for the last 7minutes which ended up remaining.

Auburn 3-4 Newington.

HUGE game at the weekend as the last two unbeaten teams come to blows; Newington v Kellyville (BLK).

Maybe you should push for the player-coach role if he ever goes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Maybe you should push for the player-coach role if he ever goes
    I'd get in too many fights

Would only coach/manage younger age groups, I'd have more patience then.

vCash
    Sıra Takım P G B M AG YG AV. Pts
    1 Kargaspor 24 16 2 6 61 39 22 50
    2 Kara Mizah 24 14 5 5 67 40 27 47
    3 Epicballz 24 14 2 8 51 32 19 44
    4 Spartakist 24 13 5 6 57 44 13 44
    5 Ahparig 24 12 3 9 52 42 10 39
    6 Etkisiz El 24 12 2 10 56 48 8 38
    7 Espora 24 11 3 10 54 55 -1 36
    8 Dinamo Ex 24 10 3 11 58 58 0 33
    9 Tiyatro 24 9 3 12 46 49 -3 30
    10 Avamgücü 24 8 3 13 47 63 -16 27
    11 İstanpauli 24 6 6 12 41 65 -24 24
    12 Maça Maça 24 6 3 15 38 59 -21 21
    13 İTÜ İMK 24 4 2 18 39 73 -34 14

This is Gazoz Ligi (www.gazozligi.com - sadly only in Turkish yet) After the lague section there is a play-off for the championship.
    I play for Kargaspor (FC Crow) which is a local pub. This is our 3rd season in the league and we finished first and won the play-offs, second season top of the table again but lost on the final and this season top of the league again but lost on q-final on play-offs.

The teams names are Kara Mizah - Black Humour (Dark Humour?)
    Etkisiz Eleman - Uneffective Element (mathematicians)
    Ahparig is Armenian for big brother - for Hrant Dink was called who was a journalist that was murdered.
    Tiyatro is theatre
    Avamgücü is Commonspower
    Maça Maça ?
    İtü is a uni.

Lots of different kind of people are playing. Kara Mizah even has a girl playing for them, An ex american u-21 player, she is very very good, tackles and long shots and shit.

I play DLC on a 3 defender tactic. Havent played much in the first 2 seasons but we made some changes with the team and now i played nearly every match and did very good. Playing makes the difference.

We think play offs are shite but the management insist on it as the lower position teams starts to not come to matches if the league ends early for them. we might finish last next season and win the play offs as to show how stupid this is. The first 2 and a gentelmen league winner starts the playoffs at q-finalbut we got 4th Spartakistanbul and 2 of our players signed for an amateur team before the matches (one had 29 goals in the season) so a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 loose ended our season.

The refree is an ex-pro managed matches in Turkish 2nd div but got sacked becasue he's gay He tends to protect the weaker team.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So the last two unbeaten teams in the league came to blows at the weekend; Newington v Kellyville (BLK).

Despite banging on the door for 80 minutes we couldn't find a way pass a half decent defence and a performance of a life time by their goalkeeper.

Kellyville went 1-0 ahead soon after due to some poor goalkeeping and we couldn't find a way back despite resulting to "route one" tactics.

Oh well, it is not great for the league standings, but we move on to Toongabbie away at the weekend where we hope to make amends and have our shooting boots on.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I'm still playing for Loggerheads (who some of you may remember from a blog that I wrote a couple of seasons ago).

We were promoted from Division 4 into Division 3 a couple of years ago and managed to finish midtable in our first season which was a very tough one indeed. That year, I was named as the Managers Player of the Season

However, our old manager (Twigg) left the club after his wife had a baby so we saw a few changes in the club with a number of new faces and of course, a new manager called Simon who also brought in a coach which we'd never had before. He initially made a good impression, showing a lot of commitment and passion from the sidelines but I lost my place in the side straight away when he took over.

It seemed to me that Simon didn't know where to play me despite the fact I was a regular left-back for the past three seasons. He originally said that I 'don't defend' so he didn't play me in defence but said that I 'had good feet' so he played me either on the left wing or up front. In my first start up front, I scored a goal but was dropped the next week. The next time I played, I came on as a sub and set up a goal but didn't play the following week. The next time I started again, it was up front and I set up a goal again but was dropped the following week. At times when I was on the bench, I didn't even get on the pitch and after something like 5 or 6 games where I didn't even come on, I eventually lost my patience and packed it in.

After Christmas, I started to miss playing football on a Sunday so I decided to come back. Si seemed happy to see me back and put me on from the bench in my first game back without even attending training and I played on the right wing and set up a goal. Did I start the next game? Nope. However, by this point, I'd decided that I would just focus more on attending training and keeping myself fit and just play until the end of the season to see how things went.

It was the same as before, I was in and out of the team but Simon did start to involve me a lot more compared to before. He started to talk about players like myself who'd regularly turn up to training and then he made a point of making changes to the side based on that. That saw me back in the side once again where by the end of the season, I was back in at left back!

We finished the season in 6th place, 10 points from the top.

Training during midweek has continued since our season finished in April and on Sunday just gone, we have started pre-season extremely early. It was an enjoyable session where Sean (our coach) put us through the usual fitness drills but has started to put more emphasis on a simple passing game. We do have the players that can play good football but as you do in Sunday football, it starts to become more about lumping the ball rather than playing it nicely on the pitch. I'm hoping these sessions start to drum it into the players head that we can actually play football this way.

I'll try to remember to post in this thread after every Sunday to keep you all updated on how things are going with Loggerheads.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sack them off play for someone else :yes:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The thing is, I would do but I've always planned to pack Sunday league football in when I turn 30 which means I've only got two years left. I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of finding a new team, settling in and getting to know everyone when I'm already fairly settled at Loggerheads.

The reason I plan to pack it in at 30 is because touch wood, I've never had any serious injuries. I've seen it happen to my cousin who has had surgery on his knee twice and he hasn't played football for 5 years now, having had to give it up at 24 and lost 2 years of his life with the physiotherapy and not being able to work. Things like that make you realise that there's more to kicking a ball around so I just want to enjoy the next two years and then start taking up a more relaxed sport such as golf or something.

Training is on Wednesdays so last night, the coach took us through the same drills that we went through on Sunday and spent a lot of time talking to us again. However, this seems like a waste of time on a Wednesday because we only have a one hour slot on a training pitch and I reckon he talks for at least half an hour, stopping the play too much. It'd be far more beneficial to have a proper 7 aside game or something like that to build our fitness up and then focus on the actual coaching on a Sunday when we have more time.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    Curling is the game!

I'm 38 and football keeps me in great () shape - compared to what shape i would be if i didnt play. I play defender but watch out for myself, the league is for soda pops.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post

I'm 38 and football keeps me in great () shape
    Gala colours and everything too...

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I don't mean that I'll pack football in altogether but the Sunday league football. There's far too many nutcases that wake up on a Sunday morning still tanked up and play just for the purpose of trying to break legs.

So for the next two years, I'll be playing in the league while I can and then plan to hopefully take up golf on a Sunday to fill that void while starting to play 5/6 aside leagues in midweek
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Alright, I didnt know the harshness of the sunday league. It is highly uncool to play that harsh in our league, everybody has a job to go to. We got 3 or 4 broken bones and porbably 5-10 knee injuries it the last 3 years in the league but mostly from crashes, not kicks taken at the opp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't mean that I'll pack football in altogether but the Sunday league football. There's far too many nutcases that wake up on a Sunday morning still tanked up and play just for the purpose of trying to break legs.

So for the next two years, I'll be playing in the league while I can and then plan to hopefully take up golf on a Sunday to fill that void while starting to play 5/6 aside leagues in midweek
    Good choice

vCash
    The problem is that I have no (and never have) interest in golf so I'm not too sure how it'll work out. Hopefully if I get into the swing of things (no pun intended) and don't turn out to be completely rubbish at it, then I'll get into it.

Trained again yesterday morning but predictably after the late England match (and also awards night for Loggerheads), there were only about 10 lads turning up with the coach missing too. The manager set us up to play a 3 touch game with roughly half of one half of the pitch to play in which kept things tight and quick moving.

Not much else to report really!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Id recommend a couple of half hour lessons mate just to learn the basics.

vCash
    I'll definitely look into that. The good thing is that my mum's fella is a massive golfer and so is my girlfriend's dad while I do have a few mates that play golf regularly too. I just need to find someone else that's a n00b at golf so we can struggle together
    The Alphabet Game #3

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sorry is this the "I play golf for a club" thread?

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    this is how i did it...today :-)

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djole2mcloud For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well done mate!!!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    So, an entertainin ggame at the weekend as we played Toongabbie (yes a real place) away.

After storming into a 3-0 lead, Toongabbie had a corner which was initially cleared however, in what can only be described as a "Suarez" our centre back did this...

They converted the penalty to make it 3-1.

Arguably our best player was then sent off for a second bookable offence (he should have got sent off much earlier but took the ball on this occasion).

Down to 9 men, we romped home 4-1 winners with 30 mins left to play.

Although I didn't score (of which my record is beginning to look shit!), I had two assists, taking my tally to 3 goals, 13 assists.

Table as it stands:

I'm still wary of Kellyville (BLK)...

Next week sees us take on North Rocks at home.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Is the black and whote of kellyville the color of the players or the kit?

Opportunity against North Roks to increase that goal tally mate

vCash
    Where are the updates boys?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sorry boys, two weeks ago we played North Rocks and drew 1-1 despite our star player now suspended for 8 games for the previous incident.

Bevchenko with the assist. Taking my tally to 3 goals, 14 assists.

However, turmoil unfolded last week where the club confronted us at training. Aparently 6 of our squad of 16 players have been playing under false names due to playing for a second team on a Sunday. According to FFA rules you can only play for one team (although I knew they were playing on a Sunday I found this baffling!).

The club has given them an ultimatum to quit the Sunday league and pay their registration fee of $300. 4 have already told us they won't be playing for us, I'm genuinely gutted. The other two have been given till this week to decide.

Therefore on Saturday we only had 10 men to select against Merrylands!!

Despite the most bizarre referee I have ever known (He gave a goal, disallowed it, then gave it again whilst play continued for over 10 mins!!)

We drew 3-3. We would have won with an 11th man i'm certain.

Still going through a barren patch with goals, but got two assists taking my tally to 3 goals, 16 assists.

Table to follow tomorrow.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Not much to say from me at Loggerheads, still training away on a Wednesday and Sunday. We're due to work on our home pitch soon to get it in order for pre-season friendlies, not long to go and then I'll keep you all updated.
    The Alphabet Game #3

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast