Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I Play/Manage Football For A Team" Thread

vCash
    Dabbled in football and probably played 5 or 6 official games since I was an adult. Never had any fitness, though I'm a reasonable right back. However, I've decided that I'm 34 this year and want to spend the year getting into shape to play vets when I'm 35.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faz44 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good on you mate, Im 34 this month and I am aiming to play Over 35s next year too

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Its in the bag Bev

Was gonna say if all your matches werent in bum fuck I'd of come and played for you

vCash
    Mate, bricking it now that our squad is decimated with suspensions!!

vCash
    Was gonna say pull me in as a ringer but I bet your team has a spotlight on it with whats going on right now

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    They're not even allowed to watch the games!! One turned up with hoody over his face and oversized sunglasses

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    Good on you mate, Im 34 this month and I am aiming to play Over 35s next year too
    Cheers Fod. Back in 2012, I played in a five-a-side tournament and we had a player who talked himself up as some sort of footballing great. However, the only category in which he was better than me was fitness. Seeing him struggle to even control a ball, I recognised my problem was that I was always the worst player in a good team. I played with guys who'd played high-level youth football (PL academies, district and regional schoolboys teams and the like) or played semi-pro and so obviously I'm going to be "rubbish" next to them. However, put me with a bunch of ordinary players and I'm just lacking in the ability to get up and down to be one of the stronger players in the team.

The problem is, when I was a kid, I had no coordination and by the time I got coordination it was too late. My touch is now pretty good, it was just terrible when I was 9.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to faz44 For This Useful Post:

vCash

The "I Play Football For A Team" Thread

So despite all the turmoil of the field, losing our best players we picked up a new guy (another Turkish player) and so at the weekend we had 12 players!

we played Kellyville (WHT).

After going down to an early goal in the 5th minute from a great converted header from a set piece, a great through ball saw myself and the opposition goal keeper sprinting out for the most perfect "hospital ball" ever played. Obviously for those who know me, I never back out of a 50/50. Both of us clattered each other but got up and decided to run it off, this was in the 10th minute.

Later in the half another similar ball came, but over the top. I tried to lob the keeper and sadly hit the top netting. I was furious, and felt I should have scored that one!

Half-time 1-0. We was running behind schedule due to the ref turning up late so we decided on a quick 2min break to get fluids before carrying on.

Second half we took control. A trademark long throw from me saw our centre back bullet a header to make it 1-1.

5mins later, another bullet throw from myself was once again converted 2-1.

They couldn't handle them, more and more throw ins came at their box from as far back as the half way line and we should really have scored more.

Then we had a corner, our captain drilled it in and it was headed to the edge of the box where yours truly performed what can only be described as "poetry in motion" I connected with the most beautiful volley, which was sailing to the inside side netting about chest height, then absolute nightmare. The gimpiest player on our team blocked it on the line and tapped it in, biggest grin on his face......he was offside!! What a cunt!!!

5mins from the end, I came off the field, and a great cross in saw us convert a 3rd from another header from the smallest guy on the field.

As soon as I took my boots off excruciating pain, I took my sock/shinny off and my foot was purple...

I iced it for the rest of the evening, Sunday I went for an xray and ultrasound. Ruptured ligaments! Great!! How I continued after the 10th min clash I will never know.

I'm out for 3-6 weeks apparently.

On crutches for two weeks before seeing If I need surgery.

I'm starting on the bench on Saturday as we play 3rd placed Norwest!!

Table below:

3 goals, 18 assists for the season.
    Last edited by Bevchenko; 17-07-14 at 01:14 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great writeup bev, hope the foot comes good.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ozRooster For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ouch! Man points for playing on though mate! Hope you recover OK!

As for Loggerheads...

Our pre-season schedule got underway with a game at a neutral venue as our pitch isn't ready for the new season yet. We played Silverdale Athletic who are in the league above us. On the morning of the game, the manager dropped a bombshell on me by saying I'll be playing at centre back! By memory, it's only the third time I've ever played in that position, once for White Star (my first team) and once in a friendly for Loggerheads about 3 years ago. Fair enough, I thought, I'll give it my best shot.

Turns out the Silverdale Athletic are phenomenal. They have two speedy wingers plus two strikers who rotated constantly throughout the game. They also had centre midfielders pushing up at every opportunity so it felt as though we were playing 6 v 4 as our two central midfielders were absolutely useless. We conceded early on, a corner was drilled in and I tried to stick my foot in before their striker but the ball bounced off the side of my foot, eluded two Loggerheads players and went in for an own goal...

We held on until half-time with the score at 1-0. We'd kept it tight and coped well with the rotation. At times, we tried to play football but couldn't seem to string more than 2 or 3 passes together before losing possession or shooting off target.

The second half was nothing short of a disaster. Players on the bench came on and offered next to nothing. Silverdale also started on fire in the second half, rattling the bar and then came disaster. Their right winger left our man on the floor, cut inside to a player outside the box, he went for a shot, I went for the block, it came off the side of my thigh, sent the goalkeeper the wrong way and into the net. F**k me, I've done a Johnny Walters! They scored another three goals all by themselves in the rest of the game, although the last goal was put on a plate as Harper, the captain and other centre back, tried to pass a ball back to the keeper which must have gone all of two yards, allowing the striker to get there and score to make it 5-0.

A terrible day at the office, not helped at all by the fact I'd never played CB before! It would have been nice to know I'd be playing there having spent all of pre-season training as a full-back/winger. I thought it was a very strange decision to make. Nevertheless, I didn't get any blame from the manager who said I played very well and it was just plain bad luck!

That game was two weeks ago. We then played Goldenhill in another neutral venue (in my village, actually) but I wasn't able to play as I went to London for the weekend. The lads drew 0-0. I've been told they played 3 at the back which again is a strange move given we haven't practiced it in training!

We play Bignall End this weekend, I look forwards to finding out where I'll be playing this time!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I've played most of my football at RB in a four. I have similar issues when I play at CB in a four or as the CB/SW in a three. My lack of size and heading ability is shown up and my commitment, which can be an asset out wide, seems to drag me out of position in the centre. I'm good at defending a dribbler one-on-one when I know they're surrounded by touchline, not so great when they're in the middle of the field.

Personally, I think I play my best doing my best Teddy Sheringham impersonation, drifting off the front line.

vCash
    Mark

vCash
    So Newington came up against joint second in Norwest at the weekend.

Yours truly was obviously ruled out with ruptured ligaments.

Despite getting battered we won 2-1! A massive win considering!

Other results helped too as Winston Hills drew 1-1 at home to Auburn.

Merrylands SFC 1-2 Toongabbie
    Greystanes 0-1 Kellyville BLK
    Kellyville WHT 2-0 North Rocks
    Norwest 1-2 Newington
    Winston Hills 1-1 Auburn District

League table as it stands:

This weekend: Newington v Greystanes

Of which I am desperate to be playing!

vCash
    Easy win coming up mate, rest that Ankle ready for the run in

vCash
    Got hammered by the Division One champions at the weekend, 10-2!

5-0 down by half-time!

I mentioned before how they switched to 3 at the back (without even training on it) in last week's friendly and got a 0-0 draw. Then they tried it again and got absolutely torn apart. Their offensive line were constantly playing on the shoulder of the last defenders and must have scored about 8 goals from through balls. Absolutely hopeless. A blind man and his dog could see that it wasn't working but the manager didn't change the system at all, especially at half-time, only making one sub. We had 6 subs and I was one of them, only playing the last 20-25 minutes with the score already 8-1! I played at right wing, did OK-ish. Not a lot I could do to change the game...

Oh, we were missing our 1st and 2nd choices keepers so some 45 year old man went in goal, got subbed at 7-1 by someone who'd never played in goal before.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Seems a right laugh your gaffer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vCash
    He's passionate, I'll give him that. But I don't think he has a clue what he's doing management wise.

My sisters fiance also plays for us and is pretty much a regular. However, he turned up on Sunday and told the manager that he wasn't feeling great and felt as though he'd be sick at any moment. So he tells the manager that he doesn't want to play and will watch instead. The manager persuades him to give it a go and see how he gets on. Five minutes into the game, he asks to be subbed as he's not feeling great at all. "Give it another five minutes, mate. Stick it out." repeats the manager all the way up to the half time break. "I'll take you off now as you're not looking so great". He's been telling you all f*****g morning that he's not well!

Honestly, he's as thick as two short planks.
    The Alphabet Game #3

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Maybe get the manager to join the forum for some tactical know how!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A good manager does make a difference, even if only a little. We had a player/manager who was a fantastic organiser but wasn't much of a coach so he let the goalie's old brother take over the coaching. We went into a game in a 3-5-2, dominated the play but they had all the chances, going in 2-0 down. We were confused, do we go back to 4-4-2? We get over there and Jay, the new manager, told us that every chance the opposition had came from one of our throw-ins. Both the LCB and RCB were running over to take the throw-ins and leaving us exposed so he said wingbacks or midfielders were to take them from now on. We won 5-3.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faz44 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well... I went to training last night, working as hard as I could as usual and the manager cornered me after the game and said that he intends to use me as a squad player for the next season, just as I was last year.

Saying something like that reeks of bad management and offers no confidence whatsoever, especially with pre-season games still going on and the season yet to even start!

I said OK to him at the time but I've thought long and hard about it since I got home last night and have come to a decision, sending him a message:

Hi Simon,
    I've been thinking about what you said last night, me being a squad player again this season and while I appreciate where you are coming from, I'm not prepared to waste any more Sunday mornings waiting to get on the pitch. I thought things were going to be different this season and you started pre-season saying you had a lot of confidence in me and that made me believe in myself and that I'd be able to make an impact on the first team this season. As a result, I've worked incredibly hard in pre-season and haven't missed a single training session. To be told that I won't be part of the starting eleven before the season has started has left me feeling sick in my stomach. I'm sorry, but I think it's probably best that I packed it in which is a shame as I wanted to keep going until I'm 30 which is only a couple of years away.
    I have no gripes with anyone and wish you all the best of luck in the season coming.
    A massive shame really but the way things are going, he'll be lucky to have any subs left at this rate! He's already kicked out one player who dared post on the club's Facebook page asking why he isn't getting any game time during the friendlies and why players who didn't turn up to training actually started in the last game. Ridiculous!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    That's always tricky in Sunday leagues, you have to have a bench and yet no one (naturally) doesn't want to waste their Sundays sitting on it!
    It's all for fun, after all. Where's the fun in watching your friends and acquaintances play football while you're waiting aside Sunday after Sunday?

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Sounds like an absolute nightmare of a manager. You'll be better off without it mate, less injuries, less stress and more time to yourself to have lazy Sunday's with the missus. I know the feeling all to well of having to let go of something you enjoy playing but when you reflect on it you might realise it's for the best. I quit my team early last season and didn't regret it to be honest.

vCash
    The worst thing that ever happened to the club was our old manager getting his missus knocked up. He had to leave and this clown took over.

Shame, that final season I won managers player of the year and we'd got promoted the season before!

The missus will certainly be happy to have me back on Sunday mornings! I suppose that means I can drink a bit more on a Saturday!

Time to take up golf, possibly!
    The Alphabet Game #3

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    He sounds like he hasn't a clue. It's so frustrating when someone who thinks they can manage clearly can't, and no matter what you say they still think they're doing a wonderful job. It's as simple as following the basics, traditional formation, practice in training and let your players play where they feel most comfortable (granted if there's holes to be filled you need to shuffle it but a player should play where he plays best not all over the field).

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast