Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: CM01/02 Updater (a DB/Pre-Game Editor)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
    Erase Data
    This function is buggy and still needs more testing and work.

CM doesn't like having any blank tables. To get around this, the Updater will erase the data and then create a single entry. From memory, this seems to work ok for erasing officials, staff career history and staff competition/awards history (note that when I say "staff" I mean both players and non-players).

Erasing club competition history doesn't cause a crash but it does cause a couple of errors to pop-up during game creation. I would guess that it's because certain competitions must have at least one entry of history. I'll need to test out this theory.

Deleting staff causes a crash without any error message. I need to figure this one out. Presently the Updater will create a single staff member who is a player/coach (thereby ensuring that there is a single entry in both the player and non-player tables). I thought this would work (as it does for EHM), but alas it crashes. Hence using the "Create a blank database" option from the drop-down menu also causes a crash (because it involves deleting staff). Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this (it might be because the Updater doesn't update the staff counts in the nations table yet).
    Hmm, random thought here: might it work to do it such that you can choose to delete only staff of a specified nationality? That way, one could add some staff that is, say, East German, before you start work, then delete all the others. It'd take a bit longer but still much quicker than 200 at a time like with the official editor!

vCash
    Opened database, got the progress bar but when it got to the end the application crashed. No error message.

Try twice - second time was much quicker but same result.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
    Opened database, got the progress bar but when it got to the end the application crashed. No error message.

Could you upload your DB so I can test it out? Alternatively you can email it to me - archibalduk at gmail dot com.

Does the progress bar disappear before it crashes? If not, can you see what text is displayed above the progress bar at the time it crashes?

vCash
    same for me...running 3.9.68 at XP

vCash
    just checked it archibald, great great tool, thank you so much

i have also found a few errors or things that can be improved:

1. in the players file there are 2 rows showing the player & staff ID number
    2. birthdates are showed in the m/d/y format, can you change it to d/m/y like in the staff file?
    3. first and second nationalities are showed as numbers (i suppose the ID of the nation), can't you make it show the name?
    4. club contracted column shows the long name of a club, can you make it show the short name?
    5. in the players file the ''job for club'' columns shows only the non-playing job, can you also add the player one (i mean showing player/manager instead of player only)?
    6. there is a column showing the morale (only 0 and 2 values), what is that?
    7. when the player has no date of birth but only year of birth in the db the file shows nothing, can you make the year of birth appear like in the staff file?
    8. columns of international caps, international goals, contract start date, contract end date, wage, mental traits (adaptability, etc.), the nation where the club of the player is from are missing, can you add them?

9. in the rosters file all the columns are filled with numbers, mainly -1

10. in the exported stadiums (clubs by stadium) file nations are duplicated (i.e. 2 brazils play at maracana)

11. can you make all the non-players attributes be showed in the staff file?

also, we often use filters on excel, can you remove the double heading on the top? (e.g. in the history file you have 1 row with name and 1 with first name, second name and common name) this way filters don't work and we must delete one of the headings everytime.

sorry for been annoying

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by djole2mcloud View Post
    same for me...running 3.9.68 at XP
    Can you both try using the March 2014 roster update? That'll help determine whether it's a DB issue or a system/software issue. If the March 2014 update doesn't work then it's a system/software issue.

Assuming it's a system/software issue (i.e. you still get a crash if you try using the March 2014 roster update), try both of the following:

- Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (I think this not being installed might be the reason for the crash): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5555
    - If the Redistributable Package doesn't solve the issue, make sure you have the latest .NET Framework installed: http://www.microsoft.com/net/downloads

If it turns out to be a DB issue, please upload your DB or email it to me - archibalduk AT gmail DOT com

I'll respond to the other posts shortly.

vCash
    yes,with newest update it works perfectly...
    Import option still is not in funcion?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to djole2mcloud For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapinoe View Post
    Hmm, random thought here: might it work to do it such that you can choose to delete only staff of a specified nationality? That way, one could add some staff that is, say, East German, before you start work, then delete all the others. It'd take a bit longer but still much quicker than 200 at a time like with the official editor!
    That's pretty complicated I'm afraid. The Erase Staff function simply deletes all of the relevant data and pointers. Deleting just a selection of staff is more complex as it involves updating all of the various pointers in other tables. It's something I'd like to include in the Updater eventually but it's more a long term goal (I already have a similar feature in the EHM Updater which will prove a useful starting point).

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    One small change for future usage mate, the history exporter should probably use Club Shortname instead of Longname since thats what the History Tool that put them there uses

Of course, if you are developing your own History Tool/History Importer that's no big issue really
    I'll look into adding an option so that you can choose whether to export using long names or short names.

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    jsorry for been annoying
    Not annoying at all! I'm really grateful for the feedback - it'll help me ensure that the Updater is as useful as possible. Here are my comments:

1. in the players file there are 2 rows showing the player & staff ID number

Yeah, I need to correct all of the headings in the player attributes spreadsheet.

2. birthdates are showed in the m/d/y format, can you change it to d/m/y like in the staff file?

That's a typo (again because I need to correct all of the headings in the player attributes spreadsheet). It is actually listed in d/m/y format; it's just that the headings are wrong.

I hadn't intended to leave the player attributes spreadsheet in a half-finished state, but I just ran out of time so thought it's better to get it uploaded for testing now rather than wait potentially another two or three weeks before I have free time again.

3. first and second nationalities are showed as numbers (i suppose the ID of the nation), can't you make it show the name?

My mistake. I'll fix that.

4. club contracted column shows the long name of a club, can you make it show the short name?

I'm going to try to add an option so that you can choose to export either long or short names.

5. in the players file the ''job for club'' columns shows only the non-playing job, can you also add the player one (i mean showing player/manager instead of player only)?

As far as I can see, it does show the full job. Can you give me an example of where a player/manager is listed as only a player? I'll then check out what's going on.

6. there is a column showing the morale (only 0 and 2 values), what is that?

It sets the player's morale. However, it is only used in saved games. The reason for including it is so that if I add saved game support, we'll be able to see (and edit) players' morale.

7. when the player has no date of birth but only year of birth in the db the file shows nothing, can you make the year of birth appear like in the staff file?

Thanks - I had intended to include YoB. I'll fix that.

8. columns of international caps, international goals, contract start date, contract end date, wage, mental traits (adaptability, etc.), the nation where the club of the player is from are missing, can you add them?

Do you mean you want to see this in the player attributes spreadsheet (in addition to all this info already being present in the staff spreadsheet)? I can certainly do that, but it'll make the player attributes spreadsheet file size somewhat larger.

9. in the rosters file all the columns are filled with numbers, mainly -1

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the rosters spreadsheet is just for my testing. It shows all of the staff IDs of players contracted to each team (I need to see this for testing in order to make sure the Updater correctly updates the rosters). I'll eventually replace the IDs with player/non-player names.

10. in the exported stadiums (clubs by stadium) file nations are duplicated (i.e. 2 brazils play at maracana)

One of those teams will be the U-21 team. I'm glad you reminded me of this. I'll make sure the Updater adds "U-21" to the U-21 nation teams.

11. can you make all the non-players attributes be showed in the staff file?

They'll go in a separate non-player attributes spreadsheet. The staff attributes (i.e. those attributes which both players and non-players have) will be shown in the player and non-player attributes spreadsheets.

also, we often use filters on excel, can you remove the double heading on the top? (e.g. in the history file you have 1 row with name and 1 with first name, second name and common name) this way filters don't work and we must delete one of the headings everytime.

Ideally I'd rather keep the dual header rows as it makes it a little easier to display column headings.

That said, you can filter with dual header rows (I do it all the time). Just select the second header row - i.e. click on the "2" in the spreadsheet in Excel and then click on Data -> Autofilter (or Data -> Filter if you're using Excel 2007+ IIRC):

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archibalduk For This Useful Post:

vCash
    yes,with newest update it works perfectly...
    Import option still is not in funcion?
    Excellent! Thanks for letting me know. I'll update my original post.

No, the import function isn't working yet. It's near the top of my list for the next update (hopefully August).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to archibalduk For This Useful Post:

vCash
    it really looks great...!
    is it possible to add a option for editing histories(club comps,national comps...)

vCash
    I've added a setting so that you can choose whether to use long or short names when exporting/importing data.

it really looks great...!
    is it possible to add a option for editing histories(club comps,national comps...)
    Yes, that's the plan!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to archibalduk For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yeah, I didn't think that would really be viable, was just a sudden thought! Not meaning to sound impatient or anything, just am a bit antsy to get started on "actual" work on my project, and for that I need a blank (no staff at all) DB...

vCash
    I have a no player db, should be in downloads.

vCash
    Thanks Cam, I have it - but I need no staff at all (players or non-players).

vCash

As far as I can see, it does show the full job. Can you give me an example of where a player/manager is listed as only a player? I'll then check out what's going on.
    you are right, my mistake

Do you mean you want to see this in the player attributes spreadsheet (in addition to all this info already being present in the staff spreadsheet)? I can certainly do that, but it'll make the player attributes spreadsheet file size somewhat larger.
    well, some of those are really important, maybe you can make 2 different types of file, one with main attributes only and another one (much bigger) with a complete list of attributes? if so we can tell you what's really needed in the small file to update

Ideally I'd rather keep the dual header rows as it makes it a little easier to display column headings.

That said, you can filter with dual header rows (I do it all the time). Just select the second header row - i.e. click on the "2" in the spreadsheet in Excel and then click on Data -> Autofilter (or Data -> Filter if you're using Excel 2007+ IIRC):
    great

thanks for your answers and for your work

vCash
    well, some of those are really important, maybe you can make 2 different types of file, one with main attributes only and another one (much bigger) with a complete list of attributes? if so we can tell you what's really needed in the small file to update
    Sure, will do!

I might be able to push out an updated version tomorrow with some additional export spreadsheet options (including what you suggest).

P.s. How would you rather see the player attributes listed in the spreadsheet? Would you prefer them to be ordered alphabetically like in the Editor and the Player Profile Screen in game or would you rather see them categorised somehow?
    Last edited by archibalduk; 19-07-14 at 08:35 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to archibalduk For This Useful Post:

vCash
    This looks really good. Thanks for working on this archibalduk. Just wondering if this editor will work with older cm3 versions as well? I hope so...

vCash
    Sure, will do!

I might be able to push out an updated version tomorrow with some additional export spreadsheet options (including what you suggest).

P.s. How would you rather see the player attributes listed in the spreadsheet? Would you prefer them to be ordered alphabetically like in the Editor and the Player Profile Screen in game or would you rather see them categorised somehow?
    personal opinion is to show them as they are in the editor from acceleration to work rate.
    the only difference i would like to see is left and right foot at the beginning of the list (before acceleration)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingfk View Post
    This looks really good. Thanks for working on this archibalduk. Just wondering if this editor will work with older cm3 versions as well? I hope so...
    I'm afraid it's not in my immediate plans - sorry.

personal opinion is to show them as they are in the editor from acceleration to work rate.
    the only difference i would like to see is left and right foot at the beginning of the list (before acceleration)
    Thanks. Will do!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to archibalduk For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Here is version 0.0.2: http://1drv.ms/1sBtjc9

If you haven't previously installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package then make sure you do so (the Updater needs the Redistributable to run correctly): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5555

If you already have v0.0.1 installed, just delete the files and replace with the files contained in the v0.0.2 zip file. I recommend deleting your existing v0.0.1 updater.cfg file as the config settings have changed slightly for v0.0.2.

Many thanks to all of the suggestions from Milo and Dermotron. I have incorporated most of these suggestions (I'll incorporate Milo's other suggestions in v0.0.3). Here's a rough changelist:

- Improved the player and staff export spreadsheets (fixed mistakes, added additional data, etc);
    - Added extended non-player and player spreadsheets which show contract details, etc in addition to attributes (Milo - you'll see these listed as "Non-Player Attributes (Extended)" and "Player Attributes (Extended)" in the Updater);
    - Added a competition history spreadsheet;
    - Default spreadsheet file format setting is now on the Settings tab (note that the Settings tab isn't very tidy right now - I'll tidy it up once I have more settings to add);
    - Added a setting on the Settings tab so you can choose whether to export/import files using club's long names or short names (and there is a corresponding LONG/SHORT item in the status bar);
    - Various behind the scenes changes in readiness for adding the first import function;
    - Corrected the year adjustment tool so that Club Competition Histories can pre-date 1901 years.

The next version won't be for a few weeks now as I need to change focus to some EHM things. I'll return to the CM Updater in August. The next planned features are:

- Player and non-player attribute updating (importing);
    - Nation staff count updating;
    - Name count updating;
    - Amend the exported non-players spreadsheet so that it shows appropriate text for Preferred Player Models and Preferred Formation (currently it just lists ID numbers);
    - Add nationality of the contracted club for the non-player, player and staff spreadsheets (I forgot to add this to v0.0.2 - sorry!);
    - Add "U-21" to international U-21 team names so they can be distinguished from senior international teams.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archibalduk For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingfk View Post
    The data format is exactly the same in 00/01, so it might work on that, not sure about anything earlier.

vCash
    The data format is exactly the same in 00/01, so it might work on that, not sure about anything earlier.
    There are some annotations to the data structure for 01/02 suggesting that there are some subtle changes following one of the patches where certain members have changed data type. Is that right - or do the annotations date back from an older CM3?

vCash
    The original data may well be different (not sure) but once you've run it through the editor once they are the same.

vCash
    looks excellent!

vCash
    Just read about this Updater and it sounds amazing........Thank you very much

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast