Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] Vauxhall Motors - A Hopeless Job

vCash

[STORY] Vauxhall Motors - A Hopeless Job

Seasons' shortcuts:

After deciding to leave Turkey for good I moved to Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, where a friend called me to live in his extra flat for free. He was working in Vauxhall Motors and suggested that I should apply for a job there.

I added some stuff about my passion for football and noted that i have been going to courses to get my football manager's licence. When I went to the job interviev there was a man sitting apart from the intervievers. When we finished with the usual questions the man stepped up and introduced himself as Alan Bartlam, the chairman of Vauxhall Motors Football Club and offered me to be the manager of the team.

I was dumbfolded*. Told him I didn't have my licence yet and I have yet any experience and was planing on coaching some kids team or a sunday league team first. He evaded my reasons with ease and gave me a day to consider.

There wasn't much to consider. I didnt have anything to loose and a job and some experience for my manager career was very tempting. I called him same night to confirm the offer. He told me to come to his office tomorrow to discuss the terms.

My terms were simple, his wasn't. He showed me the players' files. There were enough players to play a decent tactic with players available for everywhere on the pitch.
    Spoiler!
    Some of them were oldies, older than me in fact. One of them was a bit confused i think, probably hitting the ball and the pub too much.
    Spoiler!
    I thought I can manage to make this team shape up with selling some and buying some players. So I told Alan this and he replied with a simple no.

- We can't make transfers.
    - I understand there is not enough money to make transfers but i can raise some transfer budget on the market.
    - No we can't make transfers, we got a ban.
    - Aaaah, so this is the catch. Only this window or till the end of season?
    - Never.
    - Like what?! Never ever ever?
    - Yeah, forever and ever!

So I could keep the players in the team and renew contracts if I want to but no signing any players, neither from youth search nor free transfers norer loans. All I can sign is whatever they give me from the youth academy, a.k.a. That Carpark When Empty and The School Garden. So I did what anyone does in this situation, I sacked the scout.

We had awful facilities, no money, a phisio and veterans acted as coaches.

SEASON 1:

The combined age of our strikers was bigger than our attendence avarage.

Our star keeper signed for another club. Sold other keeper Saxton to Exeter for 40K.

We played 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1. (non-wib/wob)
    Spoiler!

Our first youth player came in the end of march. Managed to make him sign a contract as a decent young player for 24k Euros per year and a min. fee of 3.7M till 2014. He played 1 match.
    Spoiler!

We managed to get 3 points and drop a place on the table.
    Spoiler!

We topped the tabel on 7th and 11th weeks, just for a week tho. We pushed for promotion but the squad wasn't enough till the end, we finished 6th.
    Spoiler!

Full print of the season:

Spoiler!
    Last edited by merkezekrem; 12-11-14 at 08:55 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice work Merk.

Strong effort!
    Get em ready and go again!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good story mate interesting restrictions. I like it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Incredibly tough restrictions, merk! Can't help but feel that it'll be tough as the seasons go on, players retire, etc. At least when the squad gets down to a certain size, you will get lots of youth players being promoted. My experience in my current story shows you'll get some pure drivel but there is always a semi-decent player showing up.

Great to see you writing a story though, I'll be following!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Surely he will get to the point where he won't have enough players? How do you guarantee you will get more than one youth through a season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevchenko View Post
    Surely he will get to the point where he won't have enough players? How do you guarantee you will get more than one youth through a season?
    I've been getting good amouth of players so far. I think the less players you have, the more come from youth. We'll see. As I wont be buying new players, I'll be spending my money on training grounds (awful now) and coaches so I hope to see some improvement of the players coming from youth, we'll see that also

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Incredibly tough restrictions, merk! Can't help but feel that it'll be tough as the seasons go on, players retire, etc. At least when the squad gets down to a certain size, you will get lots of youth players being promoted. My experience in my current story shows you'll get some pure drivel but there is always a semi-decent player showing up.

Great to see you writing a story though, I'll be following!
    I know it will be very though job but the Challenges really changed the way I like the game and always wanted to try this kind of a save. Done a "sign only from youth search" game some years back and it was great fun. The differece for me with this save is I usually always played with someone else's tactic and roamed the leagues, now with flat tactics it will be more my game.

I tried to write stories before but the "winwinwin" style wasn't good for a story imo and I wanted to write too much, making me tired and not wanting to continue. This one will be with less writing, more update style. Hope it still counts as a story.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    certainly is a break from the norm story, but one worth following!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I was thinking of doing this type of save, I'll watch this closely.
    The problem is youth intake is completely random and, for example, years can pass before you get a much needed GK so you'll have to pick greyed out players a lot.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will be keeping an eye on this!

Really tough restriction!

Good 1st season!

Love the 5/6 strikers on the bench!

I you have 6 strikes=rs but are only playing 1 up top then may as well sell them which then may force the club to give you more youth?

Good luck!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    They were pretty unsellable, aged 43,41,36 and 32. Plus 2 of them were player/coach so needed those.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash

Thumbs up Season 2

SEASON 2

On pre-season Maartindale (SC) (coach), Wright (SC) (assistant manager), Ogden (SC) and Lawless (SC) retired from football. All the better for us.

2 new players came from the youth programme.

Phillips (DC) and Blackwell (MRC) made it right into the team.
    Spoiler!

The season didn't start good, all for the good tho. Starting too strong last season didn't do us good. I thought slowly rising will help the team morale too. We did manage a steady solid game throughout the season and got our biggest win so far on the way.
    Spoiler!

The game that kept us in the promotion race was Stalybridge away match. Our best player Fearnehough got injured and the game was 0-0 till the very end. Subbed in Stott gave us 3 points in 94th minute! I was running around the pitch, believing now we can push for a promotion with 3 matches left and we were now 3rd.

Spoiler!

Before the last game of the season, the race was on. We have drawn with Hednesford next match, 2-2 but beaten Halifax away and this was how the table looked before the last match, against Telford Utd @ home.

Spoiler!

We stormed over Telford Utd. 2 goals from McCarthy, one from Benn and Stott did it. Promotion baby!

Spoiler!

The youths were impressive, especcially McCarthy.
    He's put on +15 to his attributes. He even somehow managed to be the Best Youth Welsh Player of the Season
    Spoiler!

Blackwell put on +20 atts. He started playing better when i put him in the middle. Not a winger but a winner! ()
    Spoiler!

Phillips somehow lost 6 atts, his high ones dropped 1 but he gained +13 other places, +2 for off the ball but no + for positioning. We'll see how he goes next year.
    Spoiler!

Fearnehough selected as player of the year by supporters 2. time.
    Spoiler!

We didn't make any money and the average attandence dropped from 733 to 636. Hope the supporters will be more interested next year playing in the mighty Conferance League!

Spoiler!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Congrats!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great stuff! You're in the 'big' league now though!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The real test begins!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow, didn't expect you to get success so soon! Well done, merk!

The Welsh youth thing is a bug in the Tapani patch. Tapani replaced the Welsh league with the Northern Premier League and I guess he didn't update the awards that go with the league too.

What's with the ! as part of your player names?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Cheers Mark. So that is why I didnt remember the Northern Premier League being there

I have hard time memorizing players' names so I nickname the players from youth with a "!" in their names to pick them out easily.

In fact, this was my best idea in cm so far:

Spoiler!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Or just sort by position

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just found this story, looks like a mighty tough challenge. Best of luck!

Those youths look cracking, all with high determination which is so important for developing other atts. I guess the ones with !- are marked as they were promoted through your youth academy?

Looking forward to seeing how they develop, KUTGW!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Cheers Mr.Mem I'll be comparing the newbies seasonal changes to see how they go.

Bev; D'oh! I forget who is playing where while looking at condition, form, avarage rating and stuff so i made it like that.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nicknames are a good idea, I'm just too much of a perfectionist that I wouldn't like to see the positions appearing when they've scored goals, etc.
    The Alphabet Game #3

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    I tend to add a "+" next to players of note. An interesting challenge Merk, there won't be much in terms of money next year though..

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow !

You've got your work cut out trying to get anywhere with this challenge. Some decent youths sofar and I hope you can keep up the level of talent coming through. Could be a while before the next promotion comes as I think there is just one club who goes up from the Conference.

Best of luck !
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 3:

I went to the chairman's office for a little chat about our season ahead. As man of the day, so to speak, I poured some whiskey and sat on the comfy sofa.
    - Hello Adam
    -Oh, we are there now? Well Hello Ekrem
    He said and poured himself a glass and sat in front of me.
    - Congradulations for the promotion. You have done a marvelous job. No one expected this.
    - Why thank you for your confidence in me.
    - Haha. Ha. I hope we don't go down right back.
    - I hope I get some new players.
    - Youth team is working on that.
    - What youth team?
    - You know, that scottish mechanic and the IT guy.
    - We are now in Conference now! This is the big game! We need better training facilities, more coaches, youth coaches! We need money to tie up new contracts with the players we have! Hell I can hardly make the youth sign a contract!
    - Well, we are not making any money. Hell, we had to spent 1 milion euros to expand the stadium!
    - I dont want expended stadium. No one really comes to our matches anyways.
    - Now, now son. If you build it, they will come. Anyways the FA wouldnt have let us play in the miiighty conference if we didnt expand the stadium.
    Spoiler!

-Yeah? I didnt know that. So what, now we are in dept?
    - We've allways been in dept. We've been getting injections from the company for the last 2 years.
    - Huh? Injections?
    - Money boy, moneey.
    - So they paid for the stadium?
    - No, we are in big depth now.
    - Will we go bankrupt?
    - You wish, then Opel or Nissan would buy us and we'd be out of our restriction and get tons of money injected.
    -I'll go back to managin the kids then.
    - Yeah, you do that, I'll be begging for some more injections. Money or other kinds.

So the mechanic and the IT guy worked good this year. We had 6 new comers from the youth setup:
    Spoiler!

Of these youths, Gibbs and Turner got into the team right away but Turner dropped to the subs after some horrible games.

The season went on as a dream. We were scoring very few but conceeding fever in december the supporters were starting to believe in the team:
    Spoiler!

We topped the table in 6th and 7th weeks, with scoring 7 and conceeding 2. We did drop a little after that but jumped back up and were 2nd or 3rd throughout weeks 16 to 29.
    Along the way, Adam called me:
    - Hi Adam
    -Hi Merk. You are doing an excellent job. I hope we can keep you in the club for long but..
    -But what?
    - We dont want that Mark Winslade at the club.
    -But he's been wanting to move to a bigger club for the last 2 years and now I managed to change his mind and sign a new contract and we have 23 players on the squad and I cant sign anyone you want me to sell him!
    -Yeah
    Spoiler!

I put him on the list but called the other managers to not make an offer. They didn't untill the end of the season.

So the season came nearer to the end. We've been sitting at 4th for the last 10 weeks, between 30th and 40th. One week before the end we managed to get to 3rd position! The last weeks table and fixture was like this:

We could get a promotion if we win! Hell we could get a promotion if Grimsby and Forest Green loose points! This was unbelievable stuff!
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

We came short on a miracle, still being 4th was a little miracle by itself.

Avarage Ratings
    Spoiler!

We got 2 more injections, one for 750K and one for 350k, the others in the sheet must be from year before.
    Spoiler!

The youths developement:
    Spoiler!

Stuff:
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow, you are definitely exceeding all expectations! 4th is amazing! Shame you came so close though.

Glad you managed to get that stadium expansion. I was Alfreton once and the board refused to expand the stadium so I wasn't allowed to go up and had to spend another year in the Conference. Hope your ground is big enough now to get into the Third Division when the time comes.

I like Fearnehough, seems like a key player for you. Shame the board don't want you to keep Winslade though. Hopefully you can get a decent offer for him although it's not as though you can spend the money.
    The Alphabet Game #3

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Wow, you are definitely exceeding all expectations! 4th is amazing! Shame you came so close though.

Glad you managed to get that stadium expansion. I was Alfreton once and the board refused to expand the stadium so I wasn't allowed to go up and had to spend another year in the Conference. Hope your ground is big enough now to get into the Third Division when the time comes.

I like Fearnehough, seems like a key player for you. Shame the board don't want you to keep Winslade though. Hopefully you can get a decent offer for him although it's not as though you can spend the money.
    The ground is 2750 (600) seated now. Can't remember what it was before, probably 1500. How big do you need for Div3?
    Not being allowed that would piss me of big time, might have headbutted Adam

Fearnehough is amazing so far. Wierd name for an English/Barbadian. Don't think I can keep him long tho, 230K is cheap price for his class. But he likes the club, proud to be here and enthusiastic about his future at the club, might sign a new contract when i have some money.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast