Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming

vCash
    Thought it was a 2014 release date but done new good hardware is needed as the industry is in decline at the mo

316'sRegen Unattached
    what it comes down to for Sony is whether or not the PS3 has broke even/became profitable yet. At the launch of the machine it cost them $600 to build the unit yet they were selling for around $400.

This sounds crazy but don't forget that Sony OWNS Blu-Ray! Any Blu-Ray disc printed anywhere (officially) they get a cut on the sale of it. So they sneakily got a Blu-Ray player into everyone's living room who bought a PS3, meaning they will recoup the losses that way, as well as the obvious online sales through PSN.

The release of the ultra slim version of the machine is usually closely followed by the new upgraded kit as well, PSOne & Ps2 both followed this model.

vCash
    The problem I see with Sony at the moment is quite big one. They are said to lose massive amount of money rapidly. If the trend continues, Sony may go bankrupt in future (hard to believe, I know).

Yes, the PS4 will debut in 2014 in Europe, knowing the standards here.

All will come down to price now. If the news are accurate, it will cost 2x as much as Xbox 720... And that may be enough for people to consider new MS console (quite funny really, because looking close at specs of both, they will be quite similar ).

I'm personally waiting for new consoles, because truth be told, PC market is stagnant without next-gens pushing the devs forward. Wondering what Intel/AMD come out with...

Will be exciting from 2013 on wards .

vCash
    I am not so sure it comes out soon.

Sony have always been frontrunners and innovators when it came to new technology. PS1 came with a CD player, PS2 with a DVD Player, PS3 with a Blu-Ray Player. All ahead of their time. But what are they gonna come up with next? I can't think of anything brand new. They might use 3D more but that is about it.

On the other hand, I think they regretted releasing the PS3 a year later than the XBOX and might not want to do the same mistake again.

Either way, it will be interesting. I hope they don't go the Apple way and just sell the same product with better chip etc. I personally think they should cut the entire PS Vita etc. section. Not sure the future in Gaming lies in handheld devices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patinoz View Post
    Not sure the future in Gaming lies in handheld devices.
    Unfortunately, gaming does lie in hanheld devices because the vast majority of "gamers" play casually. Just look at popularity of some silly games like Farmville or Angry Birds. The developers see that and try to develop big titles for hanheld devices because the money is there. So many people are borderline obsessed with their iPhones/androids/etc., constantly wanting new apps and quick, casual games.
    People who enjoy "deep" and challenging games where you have to engage your brain a little are a minority.

316'sRegen Unattached
    the vita will be utilised in the same way that wii U remote is, to create an augmented reality application for future games using both consoles at once.
    It is actually a whopping stand alone piece of kit as well though with online gaming and basically everything the PS3 offers but in a handheld.

I do think they will look at Nintendo with their new system and once again try and copy it. The thing is, the last time they did that they actually succeeded (the PS Move is fun to play and the accuracy of the motion control is unmatched) so this could be a good thing for gamers on the PS4.

As for what they will have to offer that's new, hard to say. Hopefully a browser that fucking works , cross game chat (which they could of done on PS3 at any time) but the rest will probably be like Pat says there, ever so slightly upgraded hardware in the form of processor or graphics chip.

I reckon like a lot have said here that even if this does come out at the end of the year it may be another year after that before I would upgrade.

vCash
    Hm the new controller looks weird. If someone looked at pictures lying around.

Looks nothing like Dualshock that's for sure. More like sticks/Move combined with glass, touch surface between them. Sony said it's build in similar way to how Vita touch screens work.

Plus Start/Select/Share buttons are on it (touchable, not push down like now).

Wondering if it will still offer vibration, motion sensor and whatnot. Awaiting for news on 20.02. to clarify that.

316'sRegen Unattached
    that thing you are talking about is conceptual art mate, seen it about 2/3 years ago, it will probably not even look like that.

vCash
    Funny you say that .

Here is what CD-Action in Poland wrote:

On 20th of February 2013 it's 90% certain that Sony will announce Playstation 4. For now though, we will have to live with assumptions and unofficial notes about gamepad, specs etc.

Edge magazine, based on "own sources" has some news not spread around so far. Those are about gamepad, which will in size be similar to Dualshock, but the start, select and new share button be replaced by touchscreen/touchpad similar in work to PS Vita.

Share button is novelty, but PS4 will allow users to share their game footage/screenshots online without 3rd party devices. What's more important it will come without performance penalty of any sort. The console will record last 15 minutes of gameplay, allowing people to edit it after recording [kind of messed up idea (about those 15 min footage), but we shall see how it works in practice ].

In terms of hardware it is said that PS4 will be slightly more powerful than it's competitor Xbox 720 (from my personal point of view: to be fair, I personally doubt the performance will be that much different in games, to even consider the price range).

According to Edge sources, the leaked information from Sony seems to be valid. In PS4 we shall find: AMD eight core processor (probably some kind of Bulldozer build) clocked @1.6GHz each, GPU based on R10xx (probably 7970 variant, by the looks of it) and 8GB (according to previous speculations it should have been 4GB, but Sony decided to double the amount) of GDDR5 RAM (Microsoft is said to still use GDDR3 ones) allowing for whooping 176GB/s bandwidth. Thanks to that Sony got rid of tearing and drop of frames problem which happens occasionally on PS3.

It is said that the new PS4 will be much easier for developers to manage. By the looks of it, it should be true as new PS4 starts to look more like PC specs wise.

So when can we expect Playstation 4 to launch? According to Edge, it will be similar process to that of PS3. First it will be made available in Japan and USA, before the Xmas break. Europe will have to wait till the start of 2014.

Anticipating 20th of February for official news from Sony! Can't wait!
    I usually believe CD-A & Edge predictions (they were right with PS3 and Vita announcements after all!), so I would say they are quite trustworthy .

Really, can't wait for 20th now...

316'sRegen Unattached
    Some interesting rumours here from IGN:
    http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-...ntent=20339932

vCash
    Sony is considering pricing the next PlayStation 300, according to UK newspaper The Times (paywall).

"Industry sources and leaked internal documents suggest that Sony is considering pricing the new device at about 300, more than 100 cheaper than the starting cost of its predecessor, the PlayStation 3," says the report.

The PlayStation 3 launched in the UK at 425.
    If it launches for 300, that is a very tempting.

316'sRegen Unattached
    OK they had a live stream from the PS3 this morning, first I've seen that done by Sony. Some interesting stuff from what I caught in the presentation (which is still ongoing as i write this, Killzone for the PS4 is being shown now)

The main thing that I picked up on is that they are trying to make it a more social experience for the player.

You will be able to cross game chat, but so much more than that. If you want you can live stream your exploits in whatever game you are playing, but further than that you can allow your mates to commentate from their mic on their machine and help you out when you get stuck on a part or even let them take over and complete a tough section for you.

They have either partnered with or created (not sure I missed the start of it) UStream for these services.

Another interesting thing they mentioned was the integration of the Vita with the PS4. It isn't the augmented reality I suggested, at least not yet, but the thing you can do is instantly switch from using you HD tele for the game to the Vita and continue playing when the missus takes over the tele to watch Hollyoaks

Further to that they said they will be working on is to make all old playstation games on all the old platforms available on any device

So by the middle of the life cycle of this unit we could be playing the PS3 games on our phones
    Sounds amazing and ambitious. Not sure if people will want to do this but their theme throughout was that the games will be available everywhere at any time.

Exciting announcements, I want one already

I'll see if I can hoke out a few re-runs of the vids on youtube later

vCash
    Worst. Presentation. Ever.

Their entire presentation is about streaming and interconnecting with your friends and they are too retarted to provide a proper stream to even watch their presentation of a billion dollar product. So what do you think you can expect once you got the PS4 and want to do that?

And who would want to do that anyway except Info0? I want to play a game, not watch others do it. There is no excitement about me watching you play a hole at St. Andrews on Tiger Woods.

Secondly, this PS VITA. Another money grabbing machine. Please buy the PS4 for fuck knows how much and also buy the VITA. Fuck off. They are trying to rescue the Vita and that is their way to do it.

Of course the graphics looks good but what else was expected if you compare it to an 8-year old console. So all in all, there is no innovation at all. Just a combination of Facebook and PS3. Which is disappointing. The specs ain't that great too. They could have gone full future and put an SSD in. But no, they gonna go with a normal HDD which is already on the decline and will be even worse in 5 years time. That's not the innovative Sony I wanted to see.

Furthermore I am disappointed that they did not have EA or Rockstar there. Or actually show the product they are presenting :facepalm:

vCash
    I love Sony, have had Sony tvs exclusively for years, and thought the PS2 and PS3 have been fantastic.

With you all the way though patti, what the fuck was that presentation?????? Rubbish......

316'sRegen Unattached
    wasn't that bad.

people are so spoilt these days, i thought they put on a decent show and look forward to the new social gaming they imagine. I've said before Sony aren't innovative in gaming, but Ido think they are the best.

as for rockstar and EA they don't really need advertising and are more Xbox freindly with gta exclusives etc on xbox before PS3. EA could have their own presentation with the crazy amount of games they publish.

worst presentation ever is a bit OTT

vCash
    I just watched it. Indeed it was not the best presentation ever and sadly, I feel Sony is in massive financial troubles (there is still the DOOM sign above them meaning bankrupt in the process).

Now is it me, or... History takes turn pro-PC favor once more? I mean it reminds me of Atari vs Commodore saga (Atari = console, C64 = PC - if you catch my drift). The architecture of Playstation was always unique and separate entity. Xbox was more like PC, thus making porting games and programming games easier for it.

However, now BOTH consoles will share x86 architecture (AMD Bulldozer build clocked @1.6GHz), both will share SIMILAR GPU (AMD again) which is used in modern PCs, the difference is GDDR5 RAM, which is basically on-die (soldered), GPU RAM on mainboard (allowing for whooping data bandwidth).

All in all it should be a win-win situation for PC users. If Sony wants to get out of deep shit and financial fiasco, they will have to open to mobile gaming and most probably... Other platforms (this is something Microsoft did with X360. Abandoning some exclusives, bringing them to PC and making more profit).

In all honesty, looking forward to it's debut.

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash

Just incase you missed the ridiculously timed presentation last night, here's a neat little summary of what happened.

vCash
    Actually, loved it Jesus xD.

vCash
    Sounds awful as usual. Hope the 720 hasnt got all of those daft share ideas. Just stick with how it is now, but add a BluRay player (which they might not do, due to giving Sony money). I dont even want to see 3D gaming. Its a gimic, as is the 3D TV. I NEVER sit and watch things in 3D nor will i play a game in 3D.

vCash
    Dude, they've downplayed 3D so it's not going to be a big part of the console.

vCash
    Good, I still wont be buying the PS4 unless it comes out way before the 720, then it will be used as a stop gap to the 720

vCash
    Hehe Microsoft was predicted to make announcement about 720 in June/July.W

Now they may push it to March/April. Oh well.

(now say those words I want to hear M$).

316'sRegen Unattached
    i don't know where you guys are getting the word "awful" from.

This was the first presentation of a new product, which was presented well i thought.

Now you may not like the idea of what they were saying and you may personally prefer to sit totally alone in a darkened room (or dungeon perhaps) while playing, but I personally think getting more involvedwith your mates during games is a smashing idea.

I mean there is so much criticism on here already about a device/product that we haven't even seen yet.
    How is it even possible to hold such strong views on what basically was a teaser advert?

And Mick, if you try 3D gaming you will definitely change your mind on that one mate

There's an old saying "don't knock it til you've tried it"

vCash
    the product wasn't presented well. it wasn't presented at all.

thats like BMW doing a worldwide live stream with heaps of promotion beforehand and then only tell you the new car got 300 horse power and show you a picture of the tyres.

you also don't need to ridicule everybody here by making dungeon references.

316'sRegen Unattached
    Pati mate,

If you know anything about gaming in the last 5-10 years you will know this is how it is done.

They whole thing will be hyped over the next year with drip feeding of tidbits of information in each release.

If you were expecting an in depth spec run down and so on you were always going to be disappointed.

This is how it is done and you need to go in with your eyes open mate, which was why I enjoyed the "sneak peek" I guess you would call it at this early stage of the hype machine. Wait till the EXPO shows with hands on experiences by the magazine editors and writers for the full comprehensive run down you were expecting from a launch announcement event.

Launch announcement events are only the company that created the product slapping themselves on the back for a job well done.

I thought you would know this, but your expectations seem way too high for this preliminary announcement event.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast