Thread: Introduction: Championship Manager 97/98

vCash

Introduction: Championship Manager 97/98

Introduction: Championship Manager 97/98

Overview

Championship Manager 97/98 is a game in the Championship Manager series of football management computer games, based on the Championship Manager 2 game engine. It was developed by Sports Interactive and released in October 1997, exclusively for the PC, as the final game in the second generation of CM games.

Features

The gameplay in CM97/98 remained very similar to other games based on CM2, but as usual this installment offered far more than a simple database update. It was a clear indication of Sports Interactive's intent for the future of the franchise in two ways: the inclusion of a database editor with the game showed that SI were actively encouraging users to modify and customise the game; and the inclusion of nine playable leagues from across Europe was a clear sign of things to come, in terms of the growing depth and global scope of the game.

CM97/98 marked a huge step forward for this aspect of the game - nine playable nations/league systems, three times more than in the previous version. It was also the first time ever that players could run more than one league concurrently (up to three in this edition). For example, the English, Spanish and Italian leagues would all be simulated and players could manage a club in any of these nations and move between them. It also allowed the user to view results and league tables in these selected leagues, adding to the sense of realism. The full selection of playable leagues was as follows:

• Belgium
    • England
    • France
    • Germany
    • Holland
    • Italy
    • Portugal
    • Scotland
    • Spain

This was also the first time in the series that the Portuguese league system had ever been a playable league.

Ever since the first game in the series, people had been trying (with varying degrees of success) to find a way of editing the data within Championship Manager, either to cheat or simply to add themselves as a player in the CM world. With this version Sports Interactive included an editor that allowed users to do this and much more.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash

vCash
    I have this game still but unfortunately it won't run on my windows 10 computer anyone know if its possible with DOSBOX.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smoggy View Post
    I have this game still but unfortunately it won't run on my windows 10 computer anyone know if its possible with DOSBOX.
    https://cm9798.wordpress.com/how-to-install-cm9798/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tierney-LFC-1990 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Is it possible to use the data from this disk and intergrate it into 01-02 I looked at the files but they have different names etc