vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post
    Gonna try long ball?
    Come on ! That wouldn't be the right way for anyone with Stoke tendancies
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Eejit View Post
    Kompany and Hamman as a midfield duo ...... There could be more red cards than goals !

That is an exceptionally bad City strike force. You forget how bad they were quite recently.

Edit to add .... You can't consider wasting Robinho by stuffing him out at FL or FR. Surely you want your best striker as one of the middle 3.
    FL/FR are virtually useless players unless you can come up with some tactical genius that I have never found. Why not stick Evans out there. You never know, he might surprise you and find some way to rape the opposition.
    Jo and Benjani up front says it all, doesn't it? Terrible! I reckon Shaun Goater was a better option!

Well... Robinho just seems to be the only option to use on the flanks. Having his creativity out there may be beneficial if we can get the right players to finish the chances.

Evans, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    Chef Evans has a few screws lose

Petrov can do a job in th FL position. Now I've read your summary I realise I made some errors in my signings
    I don't know about playing Petrov up there. It's not something I usually do, playing someone out of position. I'm a bit picky like that!

Martin Petrov might work good on left with 17 crossing, if you can make him cross, that is
    If the manager of a player called Cross can't get him to cross, what chance do I have with Petrov?! Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Agree with the above, Petrov and Wright-Phillips could do a job as your FL and FR - maybe you could train them to be forwards?
    To be honest, I've had my fingers burnt in retraining players before. If players don't like it, they get unhappy and it upsets the team. I think I'd rather avoid that situation, especially as I'm only there for a season.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Echo the above suggestions, the wingers should do a more than decent job in the F L/R positions and you won't be wasting Robinho out there.

Hard to remember them having such a poor squad!
    I can remember it given that Stoke and Man City were both relegated to the EPL at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    Don't discount Petrov, Elano, Wright-Phillips or Stephen Ireland. If I was you I'd look at moving one of the DMCs in to midfield and utilising the squad you've got. You only have four transfers and realistically you need a defender, two strikers and possibly a new midfielder to pull the strings. Failing the midfielder, get yourself another defender who can stop you shipping goals when your five up top are busy trying to get the ball in the net. Personally, I'd rate Benjani second to Robinho, and following him is Sturridge for me.
    I think I have (in my head) picked out the four positions that I'm going to strengthen. It's just a question of seeing who will fit in.

Sturridge and Evans look to be on a par really. Not sure what they have to other other than backup.

Gonna try long ball?
    Not a chance, we will play the 'Hendo' way. Attacking and short!

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Agree with above and get the wingers trained up as FR and FL
    Definitely not going down the retraining option. I haven't got the time or patience to do that as only at the club for what, 10 months?

Come on ! That wouldn't be the right way for anyone with Stoke tendancies
    Haha, that should be 'Pulis' tendencies!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash

Before I went down to the training session, I already knew that Robinho was going to be the main man this season. If he performs, then hopefully we'll do well. If he doesn't perform, I couldn't really see who else would step up to the plate!

I soon found myself addressing the squad but as I introduced myself, I spotted that there were four players missing. Naturally, Micah Richards and Valeri Bojinov were two of them as they were injured.

"Lads, where are Robinho and Elano?"

Joe Hart piped up "Don't you know, Gaffer? They're at the Copa America!"

It seems that the appropriately named Dunga had elected to call up my best player for Brazil's Copa America campaign which was only as far as the Quarter Final stage! I was fuming! How can I plan for our first game without my best player? Just to rub salt into the wound, Robinho was on fire at the tournament as well, scoring two and creating two in just three games as they beat Paraguay and Peru as well as drawing to Mexico.

Robinho's absence meant that we didn't have a forward who could play on the right flank with Felipe Caicedo the only option on the left. What to do?!

"Right... Shaun... Oi, SWP! You'll be playing in attack in our game tomorrow. I know you're usually a proper winger but you'll have to play up there besides the other four and hopefully you can link up well with them."

SWP nodded without saying a word.

I tried to explain the tactic as best as I possibly could. I thought we'd keep it simple, setting up a game where the strongest defence was on one team and the attacking five were on the other.

It ended up being a team of:

Joe Hart, Nedum Onuoha, Tal Ben-Haim, Richard Dunne, Vincent Kompany, Michael Johnson, Danny Sturridge, Ched Evans, Martin Petrov, Stephen Ireland and Vladimir Weiss.
    v
    Kasper Schmeichel, Pablo Zabaleta, Javier Garrido, Glauber, Dietmar Hamann, Gelson Fernandes, Felipe Caicedo, Jo, Benjani, Darius Vassell and Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Bless them, the players tried their best but they were all over the place. There was no dominant force in the middle of the pitch and the attackers just kept getting in each others way. This was going to be a long season...

After a couple of hours, I called a halt to proceedings and told the lads to warm themselves down in the sauna. It was important they stayed fit ahead of the match against Elfsborg tomorrow.

Leaving them to it, I headed to find the office of Garry Cook. The b*****d had an office that overlooked the football pitch itself. Mine didn't! Arrogance t**t, I thought, as I knocked and entered his office.

"Garry, we have a problem."

"Oh? What could that be?"

"These players are s***e. I don't know how you expect me to get results with them. I know there's plenty of cash in the bank so I want to go and bring my own players in before the Premiership season starts. We need a proven goalkeeper, two solid defenders, another defensive midfielder and at least three new strikers and two who can play on either flank. You're looking at a new team, I reckon."

"Wait, are you telling me that you haven't spoken to the Sheikh about this?"

"About what?"

"Signing players. You can't sign that many players, Mark!"

"What the f**k are you talking about?"

"You can only sign four players!"

"You've got to be taking the p**s!"
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I don't think you'll be in your office long enough to notice what the view is like. This is a tough one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    I enjoy this style of writing immensely.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Agreed, it puts the restrictions of the challenge (and the ridiculous early schedule combined with international call-ups) into perspective.

Good stuff so far Mark, keep it coming!
    Discover more about members of the Champman0102 community, as they answer:
    Twenty Questions!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good stuff Mark.

This is a diabolical challenge. Especially with the City team at that time.
    You have to be really selective with who you sign. Be interested to see who the selected four are.

PS Particularly liked BobMem's Chef Evans slip up. Maybe that will be his next career path!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Damn autocar, I mean AutoCAD, I mean autocratic, aah ffs.
    Twenty Questions!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I don't think you'll be in your office long enough to notice what the view is like. This is a tough one.
    Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence!

I am hoping to do it this way for the season. It'll require a lot of patience at my end as I am used to doing big/regular updates.

Agreed, it puts the restrictions of the challenge (and the ridiculous early schedule combined with international call-ups) into perspective.

Good stuff so far Mark, keep it coming!
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Good stuff Mark.

This is a diabolical challenge. Especially with the City team at that time.
    You have to be really selective with who you sign. Be interested to see who the selected four are.

PS Particularly liked BobMem's Chef Evans slip up. Maybe that will be his next career path!
    I missed the chef comment haha, brilliant! I've been scanning the list of players available and I think it'll be a tough one to pick the right four players.

Damn autocar, I mean AutoCAD, I mean autocratic, aah ffs.
    Haha!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    I spent the next few hours in a trance.

What had I let myself in for? I took this job on for the challenge of playing with five attackers and now, there was a double restriction?

It hardly seemed fair. Especially when there was exactly 87,000,000 to spend!

That's right.

EIGHT SEVEN MILLION POUNDS!

It was the last question that I had asked 'Cook' before he left my office, chuckling away at the shock on my face. 87M to spend and I could only sign four players!

I finally shook myself away from the stupor with a good old glass of Jack Daniels. Swirling the whiskey around in my cheeks before swallowing it down, I thought about which areas of the team that needed the most attention. If I could only sign four players, I had to get the signings right.

Joe Hart and Kasper Schmeichel were both good, young goalkeepers. I'd love to sign an experienced goalkeeper in the mould of Espanyol's Idris Carlos Kameni, Udinese's Samir Handanovic or possibly even Sunderland's Craig Gordon but my faith would be put into Hart as the number one and Schmeichel as the backup.

I think it goes without saying that the defence definitely needs a boost, especially as Micah Richards is out with a long term injury. In fact, after watching the lads in training for the first time, I realised that I needed to make a slight adjustment to my tactic. I'd initially intended to play one centre back with two defensive midfielders given the task of protecting him then having two players in the full-back slots. However, the better defenders look to be Tal Ben-Haim, Richard Dunne and Nedum Onuoha who are all capable of playing centrally. As a result, I was going to play them all in the middle:

I don't particularly have a lot of confidence in the rest of defenders though. If I was going to sign four players, one of them is definitely going to be a new defender. A quick search revealed that Glen Johnson of Portsmouth would be interested and that may well be the perfect player to sign. Ideally though, I'd like to have someone who could play on the left side of the three man defence. Lazio's Stefan Radu and Schalke 04's Heiko Westermann caught my eye but although he wasn't particularly well known, 2 capped German Frank Fahrenhorst may well be a decent option. I decided to test the resolve of their managers with a bid for both for the time being:

I have four options in defensive midfield and can see Vincent Kompany being a better option here than in defence. It was likely that Michael Johnson would partner him and I then had Dietmar Hamann for the bench and Gelson Fernandes as another option. It could be very tempting to target Aston Villa's Gareth Barry but I don't think any action is required given that I have four options here and anyway, the priority has to be to strengthen the attackers.

With only Robinho able to play on both flanks and Felipe Caicedo able to play on the left side of the five man strike force, I knew that I needed to look for at least two new players capable of starting on either flank. Still, I couldn't help but table offers for Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart) and Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn) who would be superb up front:

If a bid for either Gomez or Santa Cruz were accepted, then great! But the priority is definitely on players who could play on the flanks. I spotted four players who'd not only fit the bill but improve the team ten-fold. Gabby Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Joseba Etxeberria (Athletic Bilbao), Morten Gamst Pedersen (Blackburn) and Ashley Young (Aston Villa) were singled out with the hope that at least two of them will be joining Manchester City in the near future:

I did notice though that a 31 year old Ronaldo was available on a free transfer! If there wasn't a limit on the transfers, I would have loved to bring him in as an option for the bench. What a mentor he could be for the likes of Jo and Caicedo!

Altogether, I'd made 8 firm offers for players with 2 from Aston Villa and 2 from Blackburn. Let's hope that at least four of them are accepted!

For now, I think it's time to get some sleep before taking my place in the dugout for my first game as manager at The City of Manchester Stadium tomorrow!
    The Alphabet Game #3

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I would almost certainly bring in Ronaldo (as he's my all time favourite player) and then think bigger on the remaining three. 87m on three players... The world could be your oyster!!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Bigger than Fat Ron ? Stamina 8 ! No thanks.

Some blasts from the past there. Santa Cruz. MGP. Certainly some decent names in your targets and I think you are right in going for the left sided defender if you can get him.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Interesting choices, I would definitely get Ashley Young and your choice of Mario Gomez looks fantastic.

I'm not too keen on your choice of defenders though, Johnson isn't as good as what is available on the market!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Forgot how awful City's team used to be! Good stuff so far Mark

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Cafcjgreen For This Useful Post:

vCash
    There's a huge hole in the middle of your formation! Even fat Ronaldo could sprint through that

Some different choices there. Some similar to me. I would say bid big if you want players that are in other teams in Europe, else they'll be cup tied before you know it.

87m/4 = just under 22m each signing...
    Twenty Questions!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    "Dear Mr Cheikh, it's a very average side you've got here. I've signed the 4 players you allowed and that within the 87m enveloppe. Also I've managed to convince Ronaldo to play football again for a short while - under the City shirt. He's not really a transfer as he's on a free. He'll skyrocket your merchandising sales and will divert media's attention to allow me to build-up into the season. And you'll be remembered as the man who brought El Fenomeno to the Premier League. I thought so Mr Cheikh, thank you very much."

Problem solved ;-)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiEsteves For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can Glen perform in a DC role?

Gomez and Young both decent signings

Get Ronaldo in as well - could grab a boat load

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Don't waste one of your transfers on Fat Ronaldo!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Is that boat load the half time pies ?

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    I would almost certainly bring in Ronaldo (as he's my all time favourite player) and then think bigger on the remaining three. 87m on three players... The world could be your oyster!!
    Would you really? I only brought up Ronaldo due to nostalgia/sentimental. I'd never really sign him, especially if I was limited to 4 players!

Bigger than Fat Ron ? Stamina 8 ! No thanks.

Some blasts from the past there. Santa Cruz. MGP. Certainly some decent names in your targets and I think you are right in going for the left sided defender if you can get him.
    Glad that you agree on the left-sided defender. A definite top target of mine even if he is not particularly well known.

Interesting choices, I would definitely get Ashley Young and your choice of Mario Gomez looks fantastic.

I'm not too keen on your choice of defenders though, Johnson isn't as good as what is available on the market!
    That's the problem really. There isn't a lot available on the market! I'm just hoping for any improvement on who is already in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafcjgreen View Post
    Forgot how awful City's team used to be! Good stuff so far Mark
    Awful mate! They should consider themselves lucky every single day that a Sheikh just showed up one day!

There's a huge hole in the middle of your formation! Even fat Ronaldo could sprint through that

Some different choices there. Some similar to me. I would say bid big if you want players that are in other teams in Europe, else they'll be cup tied before you know it.

87m/4 = just under 22m each signing...
    I am worried about that hole but I simply have to play with defensive midfielders. It's a risk that I am willing to take!

Quote Originally Posted by RuiEsteves View Post
    "Dear Mr Cheikh, it's a very average side you've got here. I've signed the 4 players you allowed and that within the 87m enveloppe. Also I've managed to convince Ronaldo to play football again for a short while - under the City shirt. He's not really a transfer as he's on a free. He'll skyrocket your merchandising sales and will divert media's attention to allow me to build-up into the season. And you'll be remembered as the man who brought El Fenomeno to the Premier League. I thought so Mr Cheikh, thank you very much."

Problem solved ;-)
    Haha, I like your thinking! If only free transfers didn't count! The challenge team should have set it as 4 cash transfers only!

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Can Glen perform in a DC role?

Gomez and Young both decent signings

Get Ronaldo in as well - could grab a boat load
    He is a DRC but I wouldn't be looking to play him in DC as I have Dunne and Kompany who'll no doubt play there.

Seriously, not worth getting Ronaldo in!

Don't waste one of your transfers on Fat Ronaldo!
    Agreed!

Is that boat load the half time pies ?
    Haha, certainly can't be a boat load of goals!
    The Alphabet Game #3

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    "It's been an absolutely disastrous start for Mark Henderson as he starts his tenure at Manchester City. Felipe Caicedo, Jo, Benjani, Darius Vassell and Shaun Wright-Phillips are all languishing in the Elfsborg penalty area as Vincent Kompany and Michael Johnson are left dazed and confused by the counter attack that has been launched by the Swedish outfit. The last line of defence are bamboozled by the skills of Stefan Ishizaki and Joe Hart is left picking the ball out of the for a fourth time in less than 20 minutes. It's absolutely embarrassing and no wonder the Blues faithful are booing their team..."

BANG!

Suddenly, there was a big bang and someone knocked on my door.

It woke me up with a shock and I was left immensely confused. Was that a dream?! No, it wasn't a dream. It was a nightmare! Jesus Christ, I hope I haven't just predicted the future there!

BANG!

That's the f*****g noise that woke me up. Just in time, as well. What would have happened if I had dreamt about the whole game?!

BANG!

Oh, it is someone at the door. I suppose I'd better get up and answer it! As I did so, I looked at the clock and discovered it was 11AM. God damn it, I was supposed to be at the ground two hours ago! The players don't even know what the team is going to be!

BANG!

"I'm coming! I'm putting my clothes on!" I shouted.

A minute later, I was suitably dressed and opened the door.

"Alrate, ball bag?"

It could only be Lee!

"Bloody hell mate, you just woke me up."

"Just as well, innit? We've got a game to go to!"

"We? You coming on board then?"

"Course I am, got the bug now, ain't I? Especially after Stoke! That was f*****g amazing and then you had to go and resign, didn't ya? Lost me job then, yer f*****g idiot."

"Ey, come on. We've had this discussion before! It was the right time to go. Right, let me just have a quick shower and then I'll get the car keys."

"Y'alright mate. I've got my car..." he pointed outside.

"F**k off, I'm not getting in that!"

The Alphabet Game #3

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will you look at that awesome paint job!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to merkezekrem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Go faster stripes as well - will Hendo's city's strikers have enough zip in them though?!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast