Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: UFC & MMA

vCash

Ultimate Fighting Championship & Mixed Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by faz44 View Post
    Yeah, another fucking pig of a year. Company moved us to Slough so I had to move again, ended up in Maidenhead. Job went very much awry, even kicked off anxiety attacks. I left the company in early June by mutual consent. Might go back to Spain in August for a couple of months. The usual mess! All is well?
    Sorry to hear that mate. If the missus still back in Spain then it might be good to get back there for a bit.
    Things are ok from my side cheers

vCash
    "Brock Lesnar does what he wants". But not what the USADA wants, apparently...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colml For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by colml View Post
    "Brock Lesnar does what he wants". But not what the USADA wants, apparently...
    he always entertainf one way or the other PR dream!

vCash
    Surprise surprise mother fucker!!

vCash
    WOW

vCash
    I hate to proclaim myself as wise after the fact but I thought McGregor could win if he fought the sensible fight. Leg kicks, scoring points, the same blueprint that Rafael Anjos and Carlos Condit used successfully against Nate and Nick. It worked long enough to win three rounds on the scorecard of two judges.

vCash
    Got to watch the full fight last night and have a query about 'significant strikes'. How are they judged? Any thrown punch that hits anywhere on the body including arms and legs counted? If it means clean the scoring was way off. Diaz barely landed a shot in the 2nd round up till the last minute but McGregor only outscored him by 3 strikes. Diaz got most of those strike points for simply having a longer range.

Thought Diaz should have gotten the 3rd round 10-8, he absolutely battered McGregor. But as he says, not a mark on him after the fight.McGregor should have gotten the first 10-8, the 2 knock downs when a cm from knockouts. McGregor won the 4th but looked it was very cose. So 10-8, 10-9, 8-10, 10-9 and 9-10. 47-46 to me.

Seems to be a lot of 'oh McGregor was lucky bell went in 3rd and 5th'. True. Diaz was lucky 2 with the shots that knocked him, evens out. And the running away thing is a bit OTT. He done it twice in round 5th, once as gamesmanship, once as fight management. Thought it was smart tbh.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash

Really nice watch if you ask me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Got to watch the full fight last night and have a query about 'significant strikes'. How are they judged? Any thrown punch that hits anywhere on the body including arms and legs counted? If it means clean the scoring was way off. Diaz barely landed a shot in the 2nd round up till the last minute but McGregor only outscored him by 3 strikes. Diaz got most of those strike points for simply having a longer range.

Thought Diaz should have gotten the 3rd round 10-8, he absolutely battered McGregor. But as he says, not a mark on him after the fight.McGregor should have gotten the first 10-8, the 2 knock downs when a cm from knockouts. McGregor won the 4th but looked it was very cose. So 10-8, 10-9, 8-10, 10-9 and 9-10. 47-46 to me.

Seems to be a lot of 'oh McGregor was lucky bell went in 3rd and 5th'. True. Diaz was lucky 2 with the shots that knocked him, evens out. And the running away thing is a bit OTT. He done it twice in round 5th, once as gamesmanship, once as fight management. Thought it was smart tbh.
    By the rules, nobody knows how significant strikes are scored, as the language is very vague. Jeff Mullen, who is one of the top MMA judges in Vegas and was judge at the weekend, has said in the past that octagon control and other stuff is a tie-breaker, it's striking and grappling that count. At the last convention of the Association of Boxing Commissions about three weeks ago, they made some changes which included the language and criteria surrounding judging, which will come into effect on 1st January. This will formally codify how the major commissions have been training judges up until now, which is that effective grappling and striking are the top tier of judging criteria and those break down by damage, duration and dominance. So, for instance, McGregor would have won rounds 1 and 2 because he did the most damage. Perhaps you can make a case for the other two also but I didn't feel he did enough for a 10-9 by current criteria.

The third round was scored a 10-8 Diaz by Glenn Trowbridge and a 10-9 by the other two. I back the other two because McGregor rolled with a lot of the punches and took them on the arm, Mayweather-style. So while he probably had the duration and dominance going for him, he didn't do enough damage to warrant a 10-9 in my opinion. However, a lot of judging is based on where you are sat around the cage or ring. You might not see that a shot landed flush or didn't land at all.

I agree that McGregor had better ring awareness and better fight management. This was a fight he couldn't afford to lose and he pulled it off. Diaz was lucky in the sense that Conor refused to go to ground with him. He could've ended the fight much sooner but it was clear he felt that going to ground and throwing some punches to finish Nate off was a high risk, low reward activity, especially given Nate's durability.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to faz44 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Cheers faz

You reckon Diaz would go to 155 to completely the trilogy? McGregor could do him some serious damage at that weight

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well, they'll have one more fight, for sure. Probably not now but most definitely at lightweight. Conor seemed to be a genuine 168 lbs, which means he could get down to 155. 145 was ridiculous, he looked half dead at weigh-ins due to dehydration.

I'd be interested to see Conor against somebody else. He had big power at 145, the evidence thus far is that he punches hard but no longer stops them dead.

On Diaz at 155 though, I've always felt that he and Donald Cerrone are 155/170 tweeners. Diaz would suit a 163 division. See, the issue is weight cutting. Most guys cut 10% or more in the week of the fight. For instance, Georges St-Pierre held his weight in the mid-to-high 180s to get down to 170. Some guys go even more, Weidman allegedly cuts 30 lbs and so is a heavyweight when he gets in the cage. GSP was offered to go up to middleweight on a number of occasions and he turned it down because he said he'd need to get up to at least 200lbs to compete at middleweight and that would take a year to do properly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to faz44 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thoughts up until now? UFC 203 was bittersweet show. The main event was really good, Werdum kicked Edmond "the Career Killer" Tarverdyan and Andrade was very good but the officiating (bar Marc Goddard) was poor, Werdum/Browne was a one-round wonder and Faber and CM Punk's performances were just sad. Apparently, it did well on PPV, entirely down to CM Punk and that will probably decide his long-term future and whether UFC give him another chance (likely after a sabbatical to fight on a local level).

Some good fights coming up, though probably not amazing cards to go along with them. Poirier/Michael Johnson, they're continuing this Cyborg experiment, Lineker/Dodson at bantamweight, Lamas/Penn at featherweight, Dos Anjos/Ferguson at lightweight. UFC 204 looks a decent card, UFC 205 has just added Woodley/Wonderboy for a show that's already stacked and likely to become more stacked.

vCash
    The Poirier/Johnson main card was interesting. Two big knockouts in the last two fight, the latter of which was entirely predictable. The two middle fights weren't amazing (Dunham/Glenn and Carneiro/Robertson). The opener is probably the best 19 second fight you'll ever see and Makhachev/Wade was an utter grappling clinic. If you're a jiu-jitsu nerd, it's easily fight of the night and one of the best back-and-forth grappling matches for some time.

vCash
    The Champ Champ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    The Champ Champ
    How old are you?

vCash
    Given the posts you've deleted I ask you the same question. Seriously, is posting like that still a thing?

vCash
    Why does WisePancake keep deleting every post he makes?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why does WisePancake keep deleting every post he makes?
    Yee my bad, i have a lot to say but gon keep it for myself ;] Njoy the UFC >SHOW< guys ;]

vCash
    Doesn't he know mods can still read the posts he made?

Jędza vs Kowalkiewicz. What a spectacle it was .

Btw Jędrzejczyk could beat few guys in UFC. Still undefeated and still holding champ belts.

Oh and to Pancace, shows before important matches/rival fights are quite a NORM in U-S-A. However, on court, playing field, all this is not important. Blood, breaks, skull cracks are real. Unlike WWE, where serious injuries rarely happen .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by info0 View Post
    Doesn't he know mods can still read the posts he made?

Jędza vs Kowalkiewicz. What a spectacle it was .

Btw Jędrzejczyk could beat few guys in UFC. Still undefeated and still holding champ belts.

Oh and to Pancace, shows before important matches/rival fights are quite a NORM in U-S-A. However, on court, playing field, all this is not important. Blood, breaks, skull cracks are real. Unlike WWE, where serious injuries rarely happen .
    I know mate dont ya worry ;]

vCash
    Yep - that Polish fight was a good 'un

vCash

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well, who will be watching Conor vs Floyd? Let's be honest in boxing fight Conor would get insta killed . But he will be able to use MMA techniques once per round to get some handicap .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by info0 View Post
    Well, who will be watching Conor vs Floyd? Let's be honest in boxing fight Conor would get insta killed . But he will be able to use MMA techniques once per round to get some handicap .
    Where you getting this from mate? It's a straight up boxing fight.
    Last edited by AMC; 13-07-17 at 02:49 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567