Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rugby League

vCash
    The NRL has always been and will always be resilient when it comes to losing players, plenty have gone before, the next year they are replaced by the new brigade.

Moylan, Tupou, Brooks, those brothers from up Newcastle, Walker, Johnston, etc etc. They keep on coming....

vCash
    The captain of my old RL club worked in Perth for a couple of years and said the standard, even in Perth, puts what we had in London to shame. I can't imagine what it's like where RL is the number one sport.

vCash
    It's only the number one sport in NSW and Queensland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vCash
    RL in London has never taken off despite several franchises giving it a go

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    That's because all Southerners are soft fairies unlike us northern monkeys.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    My nephew was on the books of London Broncos for a while whilst they were at The Stoop.

He then had a season with Hemel Stags and is now with London Skolars.
    He's 21 next week.

We're not all soft!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    Crusaders in Wales were also gash I think?

In the UK its very regionalised which helps in 1 way but not in another maybe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevchenko View Post
    It's only the number one sport in NSW and Queensland.
    This was my point. If WA Premiership players are of a high standard, how high must it be in, say, Cronulla? I know somebody who used to live in South Auckland and said that he wouldn't some of the juniors he used to watch with anything less than a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    Crusaders in Wales were also gash I think?

In the UK its very regionalised which helps in 1 way but not in another maybe
    Well, I was involved in London RL for 20 months before I came here to Spain. I spoke a lot with the Club and Competitions guys and a lot of RL's problems stem from the lack of open gangway between union and league until BARLA negotiated one with the RFU in the 70s. In the London area, only one club has its own clubhouse and pitches. Everybody else has to rent from a council or from a Union club.

As for players, they're not soft, they're inexperienced and naive. We played a team full of Aussies and Northerners in 2013 and they were the nastiest, sneakiest, dirty bunch of bastards imaginable. Were they better players? Probably but the gap was magnified by the ability to do dirty shit and get away with it. They should have had three off but we ended up with 12 amazingly. RL is an unforgiving sport and dominance is greatly rewarded.

However, we're in an era where a prop from Cardiff is the first player sent off in a Super League Grand Final, The opposition had three former Quins RLers/Broncos who all came through the London juniors scene. Expansion has worked from a playing perspective, it hasn't caught up off the field. Saying that, the Super League viewing figures in London are reasonably high, the World Cup double header last year was full of Londoners but they haven't consistently drawn fans to watch the local team live for over a decade.

I think there are very specific problems which would stop any London side from becoming competitive. The RFL and the other clubs won't let somebody come in and do it properly and the salary cap protects the big clubs in fertile development areas at the expense of everybody else. London could spend, and have spent, the full SL salary cap but cannot be competitive, even with the "London weighting" they get. These cost of living exemptions allow London to spend a little more but not nearly enough to attract the best players as they don't fairly cover the difference between living in Pinner and living in Pontefract

If you're Wigan or Saints, you get exemptions for homegrown players - who don't count fully against the cap - and for players of more than 10 years service - who only count against the cap for half their salary (and a maximum of 50,000). Only the top 25 players count against the cap, so with those exemptions and the difference in living standards, the difference isn't just one or two quality players but over half a team. London have one hand tied behind their back from the very beginning. Then, with the bigger budgets they have, they can also spend more on younger players than other clubs because they have the cash to spend the full 50,000 on youngsters outside the top 25. That's really the difference between, say, Leeds and Cas.

For London to be competitive, they need all these loopholes to be closed so it's somewhat of a level playing field. Alternatively, allow them to spend what St Helens and Wigan do for starters. Maybe even more because is Jonny Lomax going to come to London unless he's earning double?

Unfortunately, the Broncos has become a failed brand and it really needs to go away. David Hughes has really fucked things up in the last few years. There needs to be a stadium solution, there needs to be a new club that comes up from the Championship but RL is a good product. The problem is that the game won't let it flourish. Then again, we're all pretty aware as RL fans that the game's successes come despite the RFL not because of it.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean for this to become an essay.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faz44 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Jonny Lomax .

vCash
    NRL is back!! What a win for the Rabbitohs!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bevchenko For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yeah, pretty awesome display, the ones to beat for sure.

My Roosters will get smashed by the Cows on Saturday night and then have to back up against Souths next week, tough start to the season.

vCash
    Thought Parramatta were sensational in the second half tonight, thought it was two average teams when it was end to end in the first 40.

vCash
    Bunnies looking unstoppabl at the moment, not even playing well but still beating the likes of the Roosters and Tigers.

vCash
    Manly admin is a disgrace

vCash
    Going to try to see some Spanish club RL this week. The police team have founded a club and they're the only Madrid-based club for now.

vCash
    What did you guys think of the James Graham/Adam Reynolds incident?

vCash
    Well that State of Origin decider was a bit depressing... Must have been immense for a neutral or Maroon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vCash
    Widnes fan, for my sins. Currently on an eight game losing streak in Super League. Ouch.

vCash
    At least you had the Welsh stealers Davies and Devereux playing for you back in the day

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345