View Poll Results: When have the Golden Years returned for Spurs?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • When we have finally won the Title!

7 38.89%
  • When we have won both Cups plus the Title at least once!

3 16.67%
  • When we have won the Champions League!

8 44.44%
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] The Golden Years Return for Spurs (or, If it ain't Dutch...)

vCash

[STORY] The Golden Years Return for Spurs (or, If it ain't Dutch...)

Will the golden years return for Spurs?

Tottenham players celebrate one of Sandy Brown's goals in the 1901 FA Cup final against Sheffield United at Crystal
    Palace. The game finished 2-2 in front of a crowd of 110,820, with Spurs winning the replay 3-1 a week later in Bolton.
    The London club are still the only non-League side to win the competition.

Tottenham Hotspur may be the only British club besides Manchester United to have won a major trophy in each of the last six decades, but it should be clear that their fans are desperately longing for the success which the club had back in the 1960s and 1970s.

In those golden years the club achieved the League and FA Cup Double in 1961 and Spurs actually became the first British club to win two different major European trophies, i.e. winners of the UEFA Cup Winners Cup in 1963 and inaugural winners of the UEFA Cup in 1972.

There were some further successes including the League Cup which Spurs won as recently as 24 February 2008 when they defeated Chelsea in the final, but there have been no more League titles since 1961(!) and it has been almost 25 years now since Spurs last won the FA Cup, back in 1991.

So this is the continuing story of how things started changing and how the golden years returned for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club!

And it all started in the summer of 2014 when Manchester United appointed Louis van Gaal as manager, while Southampton secured the services of Ronald Koeman, another great Dutch football manager.

Both clubs expect a lot of their world renowned managers and of the new football season. Little did they know that the Tottenham Hotspur Board had been conducting secret talks with a far less known Dutch manager, but one who had been recommended by their scouts as being a tactical genius with far more potential than either Van Gaal or Koeman!

So while the fans expected Mauricio Pochettino to sign a contract in that summer of 2014 the Board finished their secret talks with Samsami in the full knowledge that "if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much"...
    Last edited by samsami; 16-06-15 at 03:47 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    As a Spurs fan, I will follow with interest

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coys For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coys View Post
    As a Spurs fan, I will follow with interest
    I hope I won't disappoint you, then! There will be daily updates (one every morning).

vCash

Press Conference with new Spurs manager

On Friday 20 June 2014, there was a press conference where journalists and reporters were introduced to the new Spurs manager and where they could ask him any questions they wanted.

Here are some of the questions that were asked.

Where did you get that vintage Spurs pin badge you are wearing, sir?

That was given to my by an uncle, many years ago now, when I was a young lad. Not sure where he got it from, but I liked it and it fascinated me no end. I have been a Spurs fan ever since! Later in life I actually managed Spurs in my very first soccer manager game! So perhaps it is no coincidence that I am here to-day!

So what do think of the current Spurs squad, sir?

We have a good team and lots of talented youngsters. We should do well this year. Especially if Soldado and Lamela will start to deliver. They cost a lot of money and they have a lot of talent. Spurs have a rich history and yet they have never been successful for very long, at least not consistently. That should change and I believe it can!

What is your expectation for this first season?

Well, you know the Board decides which new players will be signed, if any, and which players will be sold this summer. But as the season starts and progresses I will be expected to make more and more of the decisions and I will give each player a fair chance to prove themselves. We definitely aim for European football, of course. But first of all, I'd like to get to know the team better. And that takes time.

Are you planning to sign many Dutch players in the near future?

That is possible, yes. There are some good players in Holland that would fit in very well here. But it's not going to be a 100% Dutch team, I can tell you that much.

You don't have the vast experience that Van Gaal has, or even Koeman. What can we reasonably expect of you?

Experience is one thing, talent is another thing. Experience comes over the years and I hope to stay with Spurs for a good number of years. So count on the club doing better every year!

Some say you are a tactical genius. Is that true, sir?

You will find that out soon enough, I think!

They will very likely be comparing you with Van Gaal and Koeman, though. Do you think you are a match for them?

Well, of course Man.Utd. have a great team. They are investing a lot of money in new players right now and I don't doubt that they will do better than us this year. Southampton will do well, too, with Koeman. We'll see what we can do. No guarantees! We shall need patience, that much is certain. But success will follow!

Thank you very much, sir, and good luck!
    Last edited by samsami; 16-04-15 at 11:53 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash
    From Feyenoord to Spurs....weird. That is like our one and only international rival. But hey! Good luck mate. Make sure you get the nod for a new stadium!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ajvonkrondor View Post
    From Feyenoord to Spurs....weird. That is like our one and only international rival. But hey! Good luck mate. Make sure you get the nod for a new stadium!
    Thanks! And we might need that new stadium:

Why such high expectations?
    Last edited by samsami; 04-08-16 at 04:30 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash

A very shaky start of the season

Spurs have a great squad with at least twenty-five very good players so we have to find out who will be the best players for the famous Samsami-tactic which made Feyenoord so successful. Even Erik Lamela (AMC) and Robert Soldado ("'Viva Soldado, oooh-oh; he came from sunny Spain; to play with Harry Kane.") cannot be sure of their position yet. Neither can Eriksen or any of the others...

To start with, this is the line-up for our first four matches.

And we have some very tough opponents at this start of the season. First of all we have to face Chelsea...

And Chelsea was the better team, of course. And yet, for the longest time we were hoping to leave Stamford Bridge with a point in the bag, but they did not let us get away with that.

Eriksen was our best player. Soldado had a total off-day.

Next Liverpool came to White Hart Lane and the crowd was excited for this first home match of the season. But to their horror Liverpool started aggressively and scored twice within half an hour. It really looked like a very shaky start of the season and it certainly silenced the crowd.

But then Coutinho squared up to Dier and was shown a red card to give us new hope. And sure enough, just before half time Stambouli scored and we knew we did have a chance after all! It took until the very last minute though, when Bentaleb scored his first ever goal for Spurs!

Nobody played extremely well, nobody really failed to-day. It was a result that made us feel okay in the end.

After those first two extremely tough matches we had to play two away games. First against Stoke City. If we had thought it would be easy this time, we were mistaken, though. The game was in balance and so was the result, even though it took an own goal to get the point we deserved.

Again, most players did well enough, nothing more, nothing less, except Stambouli who played brilliantly and was also announced Man of the Match. But we see them playing more as a team and have our hopes up!

And finally we had to play West Ham in our third away game. Now after Reid was sent off for punching Soldado, we should have won our first game of the season this time, but instead they scored. In the end we were lucky to equalise - in the very last last minute again, just like against Liverpool. And this time it was Eriksen who scored.

So that's just 3 points from our first four matches. A rough start for a manager who is used to winning!

We will have to fly to Switzerland next to play Young Boys in the UEFA Cup 1st round. Three days later Koeman will come to White Hart Lane! His team has had a flying start (four wins in a row!) and they will want to win their fifth game as well, of course.

Van Gaal's Man.Utd. have won two matches so far and have drawn two so they have 8 points already. We could have wished for a better start...
    Last edited by samsami; 02-06-15 at 07:23 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

VIP
    vCash
    Ah well, things can only get better. Maybe some fresh blood in the side?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    get Harry Kane upfront

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ah well, things can only get better. Maybe some fresh blood in the side?
    I want to test the players first! Then find out if we need any new players. Money is not an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    get Harry Kane upfront
    On his own? Or have him form a striker duo with Soldado?
    The thing is I want to start with a very strong midfield and only have one striker.
    In easier matches we will have two strikers. Perhaps that will even become the default tactic then, later.
    Last edited by samsami; 04-08-16 at 04:30 PM.

vCash
    Ouch, that was a rough start if I ever saw one.

I've managed the mighty Spurs before and I can tell you it's not easy to land
    a top 4 finish in the Premier League.

I think you will have some problems implementing your tactical system with
    this squad unless you get busy in the transfer market. Spurs' strength is
    in the wings (Lennon, Towsend, Eriksen, Lamela) and not really in the middle
    of the park (with the exception of Dembele, he's great.)

Well, good luck samsami! The team can only improve from this point on.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

VIP
    vCash
    Maybe get someone on the wing. Revert to a 451 with Harricane up front? 3511? Have Harry backing up Soldado? Both are big guys, so getting in more crosses might help.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Rabbit View Post
    Ouch, that was a rough start if I ever saw one.

I've managed the mighty Spurs before and I can tell you it's not easy to land
    a top 4 finish in the Premier League.

I think you will have some problems implementing your tactical system with
    this squad unless you get busy in the transfer market. Spurs' strength is
    in the wings (Lennon, Towsend, Eriksen, Lamela) and not really in the middle
    of the park (with the exception of Dembele, he's great.)

Well, good luck samsami! The team can only improve from this point on.
    Yes, ouch indeed. At least I got Dembele in the right position! But I quickly found out that this is not the Dutch Eredivisie. Hope the Board (and the fans) don't loose their trust in me too quickly. After all, I am a tactical genius

vCash
    Maybe get someone on the wing. Revert to a 451 with Harricane up front? 3511? Have Harry backing up Soldado? Both are big guys, so getting in more crosses might help.
    Yes, Lennon and Townsend (and also Chadli) will get their opportunities as well. There are five of them who can play as AM RL. So first I want to get to know the current squad better. This first season I am learning a lot, I'm sure, just hoping they won't fire me. And the first season we'll move fairly quickly. The second season will be the real test and then I'll move slower.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    I want to test the players first! Then find out if we need any new players. Money is not an issue

- - - Updated - - -

On his own? Or have him form a striker duo with Soldado?
    The thing is I want to start with a very strong midfield and only have one striker.
    In easier matches we will have two strikers. Perhaps that will even become the default tactic then, later.
    On his own, Soldado is very poor.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Glory days returning? More like the dark days of the 90's!

Kane starting on the bench? Brave move but it's only fair everybody gets their chance. so far none of the strikers are delivering though.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Coys For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    On his own, Soldado is very poor.
    We'll see what happens. Perhaps a two-striker tactic is better with Soldado and Kane then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coys View Post
    Glory days returning? More like the dark days of the 90's!

Kane starting on the bench? Brave move but it's only fair everybody gets their chance. so far none of the strikers are delivering though.
    Not in the first four games. That's true. But have some patience. The glory days will return!
    And Kane will not stay on the bench. I prefer to play with a striker duo.
    But I started out against Chelsea and Liverpool so I did not want to play too aggressively.
    Last edited by samsami; 08-04-15 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    If only Juan could do that irl atm then many Chelsea fans wouldn't be so critical

Sure you'll find ya feet

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash

Soldado finally delivers for Spurs!

We played a solid game against Young Boys and we never gave them much of a chance. Keeping a clean sheet was our goal and a goalless draw was good enough for us. But just when we thought the game was over Dembele crossed the ball low and hard from the right towards Soldado who did not hesitate and scored a fine goal!

That was Soldado's first goal of the season; and incidentally, it was already the third time that we score a last minute goal!

Koeman's Saints at White Hart Lane

And then at last we get to play a home match again, and this time it's none other than Koeman's Southampton coming to visit White Hart Lane. They have won all four of their games so far, which means Koeman is doing surprisingly well in his first year, better even than Van Gaal, so far!

We started out very defensively and unfortunately both Bentaleb and Eriksen were shown yellow cards early on in the game. But then all of a sudden it happened! First it was Erik Lamela, Tottenham's 2013 record transfer (a.k.a. Spurs misfit), who scored his very first Premier League goal. A minute later Bentaleb scored from the rebound and just four minutes after that Soldado lost his man, hit a ferocious strike and found the back of the net! So within six minutes we are 3-0 up!

Just before the break Mane scored one for Koeman's team but still this was a very comfortable lead.

For the second half we brought on Fazio and Rose for Vertonghen and Eriksen who had both been shown yellow cards, but Southampton became stronger now and this time Long scored in the 54th minute. That clearly made our nervous. Surely we are not going to give the game away after a 3-0 lead!?! But incredibly, Long managed to score again - in the 81st minute !! That late equaliser definitely silenced the crowd.

But still the game was not over! With just two minutes to go Brown picked up his second yellow card and while he was heading for his early bath Dier chipped the ball towards Fazio who sent it into the area for Roberto Soldado and Soldado stayed calm and scored! And so here we had finally, finally won our first Premier league match! And an important one, too!

For Koeman and his Saints our winning goal - their first loss of the season! - was an anti-climax, of course. For us it meant three points in the bag which feels really good! But for Soldado himself it obviously means much more. Like Erika Lamela, who incidentally also scored to-day, Soldado cost Spurs some £30M last year and neither of them have been very successful so far. So it is great that at least Soldado has started delivering now!
    Spoiler!

Meanwhile, Chelsea humilitated Man.Utd. and defeated them 6-2 !!

The next week we also managed to beat Crystal Palace by a single Soldado goal (his fourth goal in the last three matches!). Soldado picked up the rebound and found the back of the net after Speroni had parried the ball to prevent Dembele from scoring.

So this is a good time now to start switching to a two-striker formation. With Soldado playing as well as he is right now, bringing on Kane as well should make us even more productive, even if it does mean a less solid midfield.

The upcoming two matches, first the return match against Young Boys and then the league match against Burnley, would be perfectly suited for a more attacking style!
    Last edited by samsami; 02-06-15 at 08:43 AM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

VIP
    vCash
    If Soldado is banging em in like there's no tomorrow, maybe you'd be best off with a 4411 and put Kane in behind Soldado.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    If Soldado is banging em in like there's no tomorrow, maybe you'd be best off with a 4411 and put Kane in behind Soldado.
    Yes, perhaps that would work. He could play in Lamelo's position.
    Or the striker partnership.
    The point is, I did not want to start with Kane as single striker because then Soldado would be demoralised.
    Now that Soldado is happy and scoring I can bring in Kane as well.
    Ultimately we need two strikers of Kane's quality. So we need another effective world class striker besides Kane.
    I don't think Soldado is good enough. But you never know. I gave him a chance and he took it!
    Last edited by samsami; 09-04-15 at 11:06 AM.

vCash

Spurs striker partnership shows a lot of promise

For the return match against Young Boys and the "easy" league match against Burnley we switched to the two striker formation with Kane playing alongside Soldado. Kane has had to wait long enough as it is!

We also wanted to test two other central defenders (Chiriches and Fazio) as well as try out Capoue as defensive central midfielder, while Chadli played in Erik Lamela's position. Lamela has not performed all that well yet and these two matches would give us a further indication of who fits best where.

And we played a very solid game against Young Boys with goals by Dembélé and Soldado, who has scored four games in a row now!!

We were very pleased to see our striker partnership perform so well with Soldado scoring and Kane being named man of the match! They could not have had a better start together! Still, the question remains, will this be a good enough formation against stronger opponents as well?
    Spoiler!

Our next opponent in the UEFA Cup will be Rapid Wien, which means that after Switzerland we will be travelling to Austria. We could have had a worse draw than that!

And then a few days later we defeated Burnley with the same eleven players. Only this time it was not Soldado who scored, but Kane!

Now in fact everyone played so well in this match that we will actually have a bit of a problem deciding who will play in the next two games, against Man Utd and Everton!
    Spoiler!

First we'll receive Man Utd at White Hart Lane and then we'll have to play Everton at Goodison Park. Two very demanding games and we'll have to think hard about our formation and about who will play and who will have to sit on the bench.

Last edited by samsami; 02-06-15 at 08:46 AM.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

VIP
    vCash
    Nice. Chadli looks out of sorts, but he can be benched. Nice recovery, on our way to White Hart Champions League Fitba!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good to see you're heading on the right track! Soldado and Kane seem
    to play well together... However, the Premier League is too tough to be
    so tentative with tactics, you might still experience some heart break
    before settling on a formation.

Good luck against Man United, that 4-1-2-1-2 of theirs can be a pain
    in the neck on a good day...

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice. Chadli looks out of sorts, but he can be benched. Nice recovery, on our way to White Hart Champions League Fitba!
    Yes, Lamela was not the right player behind the striker(s) so I am trying out Chadli now. Eriksen might be another option if Chadli is not good enough. We'll see. Lots of experimenting in this first year.

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast