View Poll Results: When have the Golden Years returned for Spurs?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • When we have finally won the Title!

7 38.89%
  • When we have won both Cups plus the Title at least once!

3 16.67%
  • When we have won the Champions League!

8 44.44%
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] The Golden Years Return for Spurs (or, If it ain't Dutch...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Rabbit View Post
    Good to see you're heading on the right track! Soldado and Kane seem
    to play well together... However, the Premier League is too tough to be
    so tentative with tactics, you might still experience some heart break
    before settling on a formation.

Good luck against Man United, that 4-1-2-1-2 of theirs can be a pain
    in the neck on a good day...
    My goodness, yes, every match is bad for my finger nails. And I am afraid that we are not good enough (yet) to defeat Man Utd but you never know! And Everton away will also be a difficult match. Two losses would cause heart break! Especially as the stupid Board want the title! (Is that a bug in the new update???)

I hope the Board won't fire me! They need some patience.
    Last edited by samsami; 10-04-15 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    just posting here so I follow this!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Looking forward to this story mate

A good start overall as you find your feet into the club

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Three points not quite good enough for Spurs

Three points from two crucial matches against Man Utd and Everton is not bad at all, but for the fans it's not good enough, either. Our fans had been hoping for four points out of these two games. And with a bit of luck we could even have had six points. But then again, we could just as well have ended up losing both games!

Because Chadli had not impressed us we replaced him by Christian Eriksen. After having tried out Lamela and Chadli we are still searching for the right attacking midfielder to operate behind the strikers.

And in the first of these two matches, at home against Man Utd, we were the better team, but we failed to score and in the end it was Robin van Persie who decided the match when he managed to slip through our defence and score a good goal. A huge disappointment for the crowd and totally unneeded. We had created more opportunities to score than they had...

So why did our strike duo fail? And should we even have them play together again in our next match against Everton? Those are the hard questions we are facing right now.

Man Utd did not even play all that well, but they do have a solid defence. In all honesty, we simply were not good enough to-day so this was our second loss, after having lost to Chelsea in the opening game of the season. Eriksen did okay, though, so let's hope that he improves in that crucial role.
    Spoiler!

Next we had to play the superb Everton team that remained undefeated after eight league matches. And they were the better team to-day as well. But we had some luck and they failed to score while this time Kane did not! What a great player we have in Harry Kane sometimes! And he is still developing, too!

Kane scored the first goal after receiving the ball from Eriksen and soloing through the Everton defence. The second goal was from a free kick, taken by Walker. Kane jumped higher than Stones and scored with a fine header.

When analysing this match, the simple fact is that we only managed two shots on goal, but those were both on target and we (read: Harry Kane) scored in both attempts! Everton, on the other hand, had lots of opportunities to score, but it just wasn't their day to-day.

For us Kane and Lloris were the heroes of the day and between them they were responsible for Everton's first lost match of the season.
    The bad news is that Eriksen was a disappointment in his second game. But after Lamela and Chadli already failed in that position we do not want to give up on Eriksen too soon. We'll give a him more time.

Spoiler!

The 6th position is nothing to write home about, but we did win four of our five last games, so things don't look all that bad really.

Our next opponents are bound to give us a good challenge again!

Last edited by samsami; 02-06-15 at 08:48 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    ha ha great win V Everton. What were the stats like v Utd, you have plenty of chances?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    ha ha great win V Everton. What were the stats like v Utd, you have plenty of chances?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Unlucky then really, De Gea must of had a stormer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    just posting here so I follow this!
    You do not to post to follow, you can simply subscribe to this thread under Thread Tools at the top.
    But comments, input, questions, etc. are more than welcome

13. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Unlucky then really, De Gea must of had a stormer
    Yes, you can see he was MoM. Losing at home to them was not what I wanted!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yeh redders you should know that being a Mod

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I use phone a lot and usually only check 'participated' - hence me posting

You certainly are a tinker man - are the fans happy you continually changing team (understandable as 1st season there any you want to give people opportunities) or are they asking for more consistency?

Top 8 be decent this year with Euro footie ideally and nicely on course for that

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I use phone a lot and usually only check 'participated' - hence me posting

You certainly are a tinker man - are the fans happy you continually changing team (understandable as 1st season there any you want to give people opportunities) or are they asking for more consistency?

Top 8 be decent this year with Euro footie ideally and nicely on course for that
    Yes, first season, unknown squad for me, I may seem to be a tinkerman.
    But once I found out where each player fits in best there will be more consistency.
    E.g. Eriksen did very well as regular midfielder, both left and right, at the beginning of the season, but he's failing so far as AMC right behind the strikers. Not sure why that is (he is listed as AM RLC) but he'll get one more chance and then I'll put him back where he seems to do better.

Top 8 may not be enough, though, with the Board wanting a title challenge from us.
    Last edited by samsami; 11-04-15 at 12:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    My goodness, yes, every match is bad for my finger nails. And I am afraid that we are not good enough (yet) to defeat Man Utd but you never know! And Everton away will also be a difficult match. Two losses would cause heart break! Especially as the stupid Board want the title! (Is that a bug in the new update???)

I hope the Board won't fire me! They need some patience.
    The board is not stupid. Just delusional. They'll be happy with a top four finish and a decent cup run.

I find that Ericksen plays well in a less decisive role, that is, with less responsibility. He does not have the
    consistency to be the only attacking midfielder behind the strikers. He performed brilliantly as a left winger
    cutting inside in a previous save of mine... I must insist that it seems a waste not to use wingers with the
    current squad, and I might just make a radio phone in and share my views with the world hehehe ; )

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Psmith For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Rabbit View Post
    I must insist that it seems a waste not to use wingers with the
    current squad, and I might just make a radio phone in and share my views with the world hehehe ; )
    lol...

I might just sell some of those wingers and build a squad that fits my favourite tactic, rather than adapting my tactic to the available players

If I made it to the CL Final with Feyenoord that way, it should be possible with Spurs, too.

But you might be right about Eriksen!!
    Last edited by samsami; 12-04-15 at 08:30 AM.

vCash
    Good comeback after a difficult start to the season. The title seems to be a little too ambitious for this side, but perhaps you might just be able to sneak in and grab a CL spot if you keep improving. GL!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyBee82 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBee82 View Post
    Good comeback after a difficult start to the season. The title seems to be a little too ambitious for this side, but perhaps you might just be able to sneak in and grab a CL spot if you keep improving. GL!
    Thanks. Yes, title in one year would be too ambitious. Not sure why the Board expected that!!!
    With Feyenoord I won the title in the third year (and the fourth and the fifth).

vCash

Spurs fail against Rapid Wien

With eleven shots on goal and five of them on target - and Rapid Wien only managing one single shot on goal - you'd expect an easy victory for us, but even though we played well enough we failed to win this first leg.

Almost everyone played more than decently to-day, except Christian Eriksen who was a disappointment again in his role as attacking midfielder behind our striker duo. Lamela had played in that position the first six games of the season but he had never really be able to impress us. Chadli had not done much better, either. Eriksen is getting his chance now but after three matches we are still not convinced that this is the right position for him.

To-day's result also means that in order to qualify for the next round we will have to win the return match in Austria now, which will not be easy. Away games in Europe are always hard to win.

Spurs inconsistent, but lucky against Arsenal and Hull

A few days later Arsenal visited White Hart Lane and after having failed to defeat top teams Liverpool and Man Utd we really wanted to win this very important derby!

It was not an easy match. Vertonghen was shown a yellow card so early on in the game that we had to replaced him by Dier, but within minutes Dier also got a yellow card and we did not want to take any risks so we replaced him by Chiriches. And because Eriksen was a disappointment again to-day we replaced him by Lamela at half time. That was a bit of a risk of course, three substitutions within the first 45 minutes!

But fortunately there were no more cards or injuries. Kane played brilliantly in the second half and our midfielders scored the goals, making both our Board and the fans delighted with this superb derby victory!

Kane was Man of the Match to-day. We really hope we can keep him for many years to come!
    Spoiler!

Lastly, we had to play Hull at the KC Stadium and we decided to switch back to the one-striker formation and give Erikson one last chance as attacking central midfielder behind Harry Kane.

As it turned out we did win the match, but only by the skin of our teeth! At half time we replaced Vertonghen and Dembélé, who had both been shown yellow cards already, by Fazio and Chadli. And because we badly needed that second goal we replaced Eriksen by Soldado after about an hour. And sure enough, it was Soldado who scored! What a relief! You don't want to drop two points against Hull after having just beaten Arsenal!

Immediately after that important second goal Chadli got injured and we could not replace him anymore so the last twelve minutes were nerve-racking, but we survived!

All in all, things are going well enough right now in the Premiership, but we do need to replace Eriksen as attacking midfielder, hoping that he will start performing again as regular midfielder.

So next we will be facing Rapid Wien again, in Austria this time, where we will try and qualify for the UEFA Cup next round and then Queens Park Rangers will visit White Hart Lane. They are currently near the very bottom of the league so that should not be too much of a problem, hopefully...
    Last edited by samsami; 02-06-15 at 08:49 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great Derby win v Arsenal!

Seems like you are losing patience with Eriksen!

What do the fans think of your persistence of having this formation. Eriksen/Lamela/Chadli 'cannot play there'

Is it the players who have the problem or you?

Nervy away leg in Europe coming up - are you happy to forego that this year or are you all out to win it?

Great guns in the league with a small gap appearing to Saints

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great Derby win v Arsenal!
    Seems like you are losing patience with Eriksen!
    What do the fans think of your persistence of having this formation. Eriksen/Lamela/Chadli 'cannot play there'
    Is it the players who have the problem or you?
    Nervy away leg in Europe coming up - are you happy to forego that this year or are you all out to win it?
    Great guns in the league with a small gap appearing to Saints
    They wanted me as manager, so they'll have to accept my tactic/formation! The AMC position is the only role that nobody can seem to fill so far. All the rest is going well; we have lots of reasonably good defenders, a great midfield (Dembélé and Bentaleb) and a great goalkeeper.

As to the UEFA Cup, that's not a big deal. If we lose, we lose. We have a heavy schedule and need to focus on the Premier League. Success in England first!

For European success we need at least another good striker, like Kane, and a few better defenders.
    Last edited by samsami; 12-04-15 at 10:13 AM.

vCash

Eriksen thrives in new Spurs formation

We started out against Rapid Wien with our standard lone striker formation, but this time with Eriksen back in his favourite position, more as a winger, and Soldado as striker with Harry Kane playing right behind him as an attacking midfielder, but really more as a second striker.

Initially the match looked very much like the first leg at White Hart Lane. We were the stronger team and created clearly more chances than Rapid Wien did, but they were the ones who scored.

But after just four minutes into the second half we equalised when Eriksen took a free kick and Soldado got up above Lucio and scored with a great header! After that goal Rapid Wien started to attack some more but they hardly managed to create any real chances. And in the end it was Lamela (as substitute for Bentaleb after his yellow card) who hit a hopeful looking shot and found the back of the net!

Interestingly Spurs tow most expensive players ever, Roberto Soldado and Erik Lamela, who were both such huge disappointments last year, were the ones who scored our goals to-day!

So not only did we qualify for the UEFA Cup third round but Soldado, Kane and Eriksen all played so well that it looks like our new formation might actually be working! For the first time in weeks Eriksen played like he briefly did at the beginning of the season! And Kane seemed to enjoy his new role as well.
    Spoiler!

In the next UEFA Cup round we will play another Austrian team: Red Bull Salzburg. Yet another nice trip for our lads!

October transfers

Meanwhile, this month we sold three players for a total amount of more than 8 million pounds.

1. Ryan Mason, because we already have Bentaleb and Dembélé as central midfielders.
    2. DeAndre Yedlin, because he is simply not good enough and we already have three excellent right defenders in Walker, Fredericks and Dier.
    3. Andros Townsend, because we already have way too many AM/LR's.

Spurs underestimate QPR

And just a few days after the Wien match we received Queens Park Rangers at White Hart Lane and everyone expected our lads to shine in the new formation, with a happy Eriksen, Soldado and Kane.

However, Capoue got injured after just three minutes and not long after that Walker got injured as well, so that was a bit of a setback and it took us a while to recover.

Still, in the second half it was Soldado who scored in the 51st and the 72nd minute and five minutes later Eriksen(!) scored our third goal. It was then that we began to relax and immediately Fer found Zarate with a long pass and Zarate scored his first ever goal for QPR.

With nine minutes on the clock that did not overly worry anybody until Wright-Philips hit a fierce shot and Bentaleb controlled the ball with his arm. So a penalty was awarded while Bentaleb was shown the red card for intentionally handling the ball! And Isla made no mistake in scoring the penalty so the last few minutes actually became very hectic!

Well into injury time, Vargas drove the ball at goal and Lloris could not gather the ball cleanly. The ball fell to Vargas again who blasted it towards the top corner, but this time Lloris did well to parry it. The corner was taken but QPR did not create any more chances and so we were very relieved when the referee finally blew the whistle and we knew the three points were in the bag!

We clearly took this match too lightly and it almost cost us two precious points. But at least the player ratings would indicate that we are on the right track with our new formation!
    Spoiler!

Next we will be playing West Ham at White Hart Lane for the League Cup 3rd round, and then it's Manchester City (away) and Leicester at home again.
    Last edited by samsami; 02-06-15 at 08:51 AM.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Kanes defo not a AMC mate, hes either up top on his own or part of a Pair.

Hes flying as a lone striker in my Villa game

Good results though although leaking a few goals.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Kanes defo not a AMC mate, hes either up top on his own or part of a Pair.

Hes flying as a lone striker in my Villa game

Good results though although leaking a few goals.
    I agree, but we don't have a real AMC. So for now I have Soldado and Kane there and I switch them around every now and then during the game to try and confuse the opponents. I will try and find a true AMC asap, though!

vCash
    Lamela/Erikson?

vCash
    Lamela/Erikson?
    Tried that! Didn't work! See also the beginning of the story.

Lamela played as AMC the first five games. His rating were 6,6,7,5,6
    Even when the whole team did well he performed poorly.

Eriksen did well as MC in the first six games: 8,7,7,8,7,7
    Then when I tried him out as AMC his ratings dropped dramatically: 7,6,6,6,5,6
    Now he's back as MC again and his ratings have sky-rocketed again: 8,9 ...
    Last edited by samsami; 13-04-15 at 12:04 PM.

AJ is offline Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Vipers Striker Extraordinaire
    vCash
    Maybe replace your AMC with a DMC. Should give a little more stability at the back. Or even just play two strikers?

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast