Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    So day three saw only 40 or so overs bowled and day four was a complete wash out for the Somerset-Lancashire game. Honestly feel it's a real shame that England can't have some bloody good weather for a change as it could have been a cracking result for Lancashire. We started off strongly in the first innings, reaching 400 to get the maximum batting points before taking three wickets with the ball. Fingers crossed that the weathers picks up soon and we can capitalise on a solid first innings performance.

Social Media Team
    vCash
    What a start against Nottinghamshire for Lancashire today! Not only did we get Jimmy Anderson back (a big bonus it seems) but we also put in a massive performance to bowl them out for 169 before the day was out, Patel being the only pick of the batsmen who got 69. Anderson did go off midway through the game however with a suspected fractured thumb, thankfully everything was okay and it was just severe bruising (he even returned to bowl a few more overs). Chapple and Kerrigan both put in a superb bowling performance taking four wickets a piece whilst Procter got the other two. In reply, we finished the day on 48 runs with the loss of Horton on the last ball of the innings.

In the IPL my man Chris Gayle hit a spectacular 71 today but it wasn't enough to beat Kings XI unfortunately. Gayle maintains his good run of form though, which is a positive for RCB but they've lost two on the bounce now. The next two games are key if they want to keep in with a chance of making the playoffs. Gayle also hit a massive 111 meter six!
    Last edited by Jesus; 02-05-12 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Cricket :facepalm:
    This is how is how it feels to be Celtic,
    Champions again as you'll know,
    Brendan Rodgers here for 10 in a row
    10 in a row

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Disaster for Lancashire in their match against Nottinghamshire. Although we had a cracking start to the first innings (bowling them out for 169), we were shortly bowled out for just 146 runs, giving them a 23 run lead going in to the second innings. Nottinghamshire made sure we paid the price for not capitilizing by amassing 304 runs with 50s from Lumb and Read. The batsmen all around them scored well and only four batsman didn't manage to make it to double figures. At the end of the second innings, Lancashire needed 327 runs to win; a big ask from such a fragile batting line up. The cracks began to show early when Horton lasted two balls before being dislodged and the wickets began to tumble - Lancashire were all out for 142 meaning we had lost by an astonishing 185 runs. Very, very poor from Lancashire, we have three defeats and a draw to our name this year, which really isn't the form to be shown from defending champions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Not caught much of the IPL this year, hows Steven Smith being doing? I rate him quite highly, he reminds me so much of Shane Warne.
    He's not even bowled this year I don't think but that hasn't stopped him making a name for himself. How good is this?!

vCash
    He was at it again yesterday.
    Not the best quality vid but I can't find a better one.

Personally, part of me wants it to be a catch for the speed of thought and agility that he shows but it was given as a 6!

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Steven Smith is BRILLIANT in the field, that last catch sould of been given for me just because of it's ingenuity and the fact he never touched the floor whilst the ball was in the air.

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Another woeful defeat for Lancashire looms, they're currently 125 for 7 chasing a mammoth 557 again Warwickshire. Lancashire have been nothing short of miserable this season, their failure to invest in new players to add some depth to the batting has really ruined them and their bowling falls to pieces without Anderson. On the positive side of thing, England are currently 53-1 after bowling West Indies out for 243. I can see a good win for England here, who need to win the series to keep world number one spot.

One last thing to note was Bangalore's performance last night against Dehli Daredevils. They amassed a huge 215 runs for the loss of just one wicket (Dilshan). Chris Gayle hit 126 not out and Kholi finished on 70-odd not out to cap off a superb batting performance. It means Chris Gayle is leading with the orange cap with 705 runs, and has scored the most runs in an IPL season ever. What a legend. Bangalore did come close to undoing all their hard work however but DD fell short by about 20 runs.
    Last edited by Jesus; 18-05-12 at 03:18 PM.

vCash
    Not into the cricket like I was say 10 years ago but I still watch the test matches and keep an eye out for the Lancashire score. As said after winning the division last year it's been a terrible start from Lancashire unfortuantely, when I started taking an interest again last year I couldn't believe Glen Chappel was still going strong, but he's still performing well from what I can gather.

A bit of a shame Gayle isn't part of the West Indies lineup, I'm guessing it's a falling out between him and the West Indian board?

vCash
    RIP Tom Maynard who died aged 23 after being hit by a train. I hope this was an accident and not suicide

vCash
    Wow!
    He only played yesterday didn't he.
    I was going to go but couldn't make it!

vCash
    Think he did, and they are treating it as non-suspicious, doesn't look good for my non suicide hope. Sad thing is he was so talented, he was brilliant for us before we did the dirty on his old man, and he was excelling at Surrey too

vCash
    Right,

Somebody make me like cricket

what are the rules etc of this game, sell it to me

never could get into it but i wanna try and understand it

vCash
    lol, I remember coming to australia and hating cricket and thought what a pointless sport. then i was at home for a month and the ashes were on and i thought i might as well watch and really got into it.

there are several formats: test cricket matches are the longest. one game can last up to 4 or 5 days. then you got one day international where each team got 50 overs and the shortest form is T20 (twenty20) where each side only got 20 overs.

lets say you watch twenty20 cricket. One team starts bowling and the other one batting. one over is a set of 6 balls. so in total they are 120 balls per team to bowl and 120 balls per team to bat.

the defending team got basically 2 tasks: a.) defend their wicket (the 3 sticks behind the guy who is batting) and score as many points as possible. you always got 2 batsmen on the pitch at any given time who are standing opposite each other.
    you score by getting so-called runs. meaning the guy from the other team bowls (meaning he throws the balls at you) and the batsman tries to hit it somewhere. the moment he hits the ball both batsmen start running towards each other and have to touch the ground behind a certain line to get 1 run (1 point). depending on how far away the guy has hit it and how slow the outfield players are, they can run twice (once there, once back), three times etc.
    if the batsman manages to hit the ball outside the playing field and it never touches the ground his team get 6 points. if the balles touches the ground before going out of bounds i.e. it rolls out of bounds, his team get 4 points. so yes, the batsmen have to try and score as much as possible for their team in those 20 overs.

the bowlers objective is to "bowl out" the batsmen. this can happen in several ways.
    the 3 most important are:

a.) the bowler throws the ball, the batsman misses it and the ball hits the wicket behind him.
    b.) the bowler throws the ball, the batsman hits it but it goes high up in the air and the bowlers teammates who are split up all over the ground catch it straight from the air.
    c.) the bowler throws the ball, the batsmen go for runs, the opposing team picks up the ball from the ground and throw it back at the wicket and hit it. if the batsmen arent in their "safe zone" (touching ground behind the crease, that line i was talking about earlier) back in time and get caught in the middle of their run, one of them is out.

there are several other ways (like lbw) to get a batsman dismissed but its enough if you know those 3 at first.

in the case of T20, the game can end in 2 ways:
    a.) 20 overs have been played
    b.) 10 of the 11 batsmen have been bowled out

once the first 20 overs are done, the teams swap and now the guy who just bowled will bat and vice versa. whoever has got more runs (points) after the second 20 overs wins.

all in all, you have to watch it to understand it. I had nobody to explain anything and quite frankly, even i somebody had done that, i doubt i would have been any more interested. just watch a few games and see if you get into it. you'll pick up most of the rules on the way.
    Last edited by Patinoz; 21-07-12 at 03:43 PM.

vCash
    Here's a nice picture of the Sydney Cricket Ground, that should help you like it better beez...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ozRooster View Post
    Here's a nice picture of the Sydney Cricket Ground, that should help you like it better beez...

She could play with my stump anytime she wanted

vCash
    Fantastic drawn test match between Australia and South Africa over the last 5 days, had bloody everything.

Faf De Plessis, Jacques Kallis (South Africans have the best names ) and Peter Siddle, take a bow, those 3 fuckers gave everything .

And I absolutely hate Michael Clarke, but credit where credit is due, the little fucker can bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ozRooster View Post
    Fantastic drawn test match between Australia and South Africa over the last 5 days, had bloody everything.

Faf De Plessis, Jacques Kallis (South Africans have the best names ) and Peter Siddle, take a bow, those 3 fuckers gave everything .

And I absolutely hate Michael Clarke, but credit where credit is due, the little fucker can bat.
    I love Siddle, always has that snarl when he bowls Only caught a bit of the game......... Ponting turning his arm over? Talk about trying to buy a wicket Oh, and Warner looks like he's someone else with an extra R added to his surname when he bowls! First time i've seen him bowl, his action is right out of the Shane Warne textbook!

vCash
    He's a dead ringer for Warney, except that he throws pies instead of unplayable leg breaks .

The next test in Perth should be a cracker .

vCash
    Awesome win for England, KP and Monty were class!

Shame to see Ricky Ponting retire as well after the final test against SA, up there with Tendulkar and Lara as the best batsmen I've seen.

Social Media Team
    vCash
    Yeah England's bounce-back win was unreal. Goes to show how much we miss a backup spinner to Swann when you have Monty ripping the Indian top order to pieces. FYI, I don't rate Monty at all.

Also a shame that Ponting is hanging up his boots, but it's been a long time coming. Absolutely brilliant batsman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    Yeah England's bounce-back win was unreal. Goes to show how much we miss a backup spinner to Swann when you have Monty ripping the Indian top order to pieces. FYI, I don't rate Monty at all.
    I don't think Monty's that bad, at least he always bowls an attacking line unlike "The King of Spain"

Clarke seems to be taking Ponting's retirement hard, was nearly in tears at the press conference! Would love to see him finish off with a ton, usually a good track at the WACA

vCash
    No, I am not here to talk about the current state of Australian cricket (which is fucked btw).

These 2 certainly went on after this .

vCash
    Well that's surprising.

vCash
    Apparently Phil was even better, there was an interview in last month's 442 magazine and he had to choose between cricket and footy.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12