Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite "cult" teams

vCash
    Venezia is another one. There ground is on an island, awesome.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I became a Panathinaikos fan thanks to CM 01 02. Not just in football, but also in basketball and waterpolo.
    Konstantinou and Kolkka my favourites, I always tried to take them when managing other teams.

As for Atalanta, I remember what an amazing team they were in the first seasons. Rossini was just scary to play against... but I couldn't like that team since I am a Brescia fan in real life, which is the biggest Atalanta rival! So I just "admired" them, and also "hated" them... they say, if there is no love, there must be hate. But no indifference

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Konstantinou For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Leyton Orient, Torquay, Luton Town, Borussia Monchengladbach, Huracan Valencia to name a few

6. The Following User Says Thank You to colml For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Dukla Pumpherston Sawmill and Tannery

vCash
    Original crazy gang in cm93.

vCash
    Started to play this kind of games around the late 80's with ZX Spectrum. Yeah, i'm from a vintage crop
    I've cruised around 1987's Football Manager 2, Euro Boss, Multi Player Soccer Manager and so many others without having a real cult team pick. I guess i had a soft spot for Nottingham Forest but hardly pick them to play.

My first real cult team came with the 1994 and 1995's versions of Championship Manager Italia and the well invested Parma. I had some serious spells there along with my fetish player Gianluca Hervatin.

Several years have passed, with SWOS and several other CM in the mixture, and no real substitute for that incredible team. Then came CM0102 and dunno exactly what happened but i've found myself managing the Dutch side Vitesse and having a whole deal of fun.

I still remeber some first key signings such as Taribo West, Michael Mols, Richard Knopper... Those were the times that i didn't know better than picking default tactics, giving some ramdom arrowing, didn't messed with the wibwob screens, didn't know nothing about super swedes/super greeks or tsigalkos/tó madeiras and still had decent results. Ah, the innocence... where did you go?

Some many years gone by, and after inumerous saves and a big amount of sides managed, my latest cult side is an all basque Real Sociedad. I never sign directly from the rival Athletic and the game ends when i don't have enough basque players to fill my starting eleven Never went to that stage of the game yet, but i've heard that the basque players suffer a severe reduction after a few years.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Easy Rider For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Chivas - First started after my holiday to Mexico with a few mates, One chose Club America & I chose Chivas
    Boca Juniors - for years now, started because I liked their kit
    Roma - It was after CM 01/02 so I am unsure how that started
    Inverness Caledionian Thistle - For the few Irish players they had a few years back
    Reading - Ex girlfriend supported them and I used to use them for my all Irish challenge (Featuring Shane Long, Kevin Doyle, Steven Hunt etc)
    Cosmos - San Marinese team I done a story on, hard to see how they do...
    Rupel Boom FC - Belgian lower league team, started a game with these on Football Manager a while back because I loved the name! Looked at a place to buy a shirt, couldn't find one...

vCash

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Venezia is another one. There ground is on an island, awesome.

That's not that special, every team in the UK is on an island too

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmy boots For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Leeds United - Started playing them as a challenge on FM08 when they had -17 points in League One, but have since fallen in love and I can pride myself of being a White, they are the only foreign team that I pride myself on following and supporting, so no bandwagon here

vCash
    Dagenham & Redbridge - when I first played 01/02, I tried to get them to the Premier. Never got past League One though.
    Extremadura - Almost always got fired before the end of the first season in Spanish Second Division B. It's become an obsession to get them moved up!
    Cannes - my most successful "bottom to the top" team. Took them from the French National to Champions League champions within 9 seasons. Got frustrated because the city would never let us expand the stadium, and therefore didn't have enough money to keep my better players very long.

vCash
    Stalybridge Celtic in ODB. They had the least # of players originally and took them to the Prem. Gerard Courtney was top scorer through all the divisions. A DC and captain was the only other player to survive the rise thru the divisions....Williams maybe? I'd have to check been awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vCash
    I always used to manage Morecombe, until they actually made it in to league 2.
    also Fiorentina I always find them a real challenge with stroppy Italians.
    St Pauli are another favourite.

vCash
    Cagliari - from FM08 was with them for around 5 seasons and ended up following them in RL .
    Deportivo De La Coruna - Only because i loved them in RL and now they have gone downhill rapidly, started a save with them on CM15 only managed to get 3rd within 3 seasons.

vCash
    Dont hit me ... please.

Millwall. Because a mate of mine said they are shite and I could not get them promoted . The rivalry with West Ham/Charlton/Man City has its challenges.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choppingman View Post
    Dont hit me ... please.

Millwall. Because a mate of mine said they are shite and I could not get them promoted . The rivalry with West Ham/Charlton/Man City has its challenges.
    I'm with you on that, I had a great career save with them on the ODB. Joe Dolan at CB was immense! Plus David Livermore, Marc Bircham, Tim Cahill too. (Not to mention a certain Mr Samba...)

vCash
    I remember back when I first started out with CM3, I always used to play as Cheltenham Town. I'd sign Bruce Grobbelaar and a striker named Dale Watkins, and then steamroller my way through the Conference. I never had the attention span to play beyond that first season but it was always fun while it lasted. I should try managing another Conference side in 01/02 and see how I can do.

vCash
    Dagenham back when game was first released.. As well as my hometown club Cardiff and the team I support Liverpool.

A little more recent was Portsmouth when they were relegated to championship and in proper financial problems.
    Crewe Alexandra because of their famed academy.
    And most recently I have a soft spot for Bournemouth and Brentford after the respective championship seasons they just had.

vCash
    For me on odb was always Parma, decent squad and budget low expectations. Always made into world beaters shame about the lack of stadium expansion.
    1860 Munich were another one, the "other" Munich team always a constant go to.
    Other regulars were Forest (team I support) Peterborough United (home town team, crap and a challenge) or Colchester United (easy to get to premier league then nearly go bankrupt as layer road was proper rubbish and needed massive improvement)
    Now on updated databases it's whatever floats my boat really, currently at Roma after starting at Arsenal carrying on a legacy of awakening sleeping giants.

vCash
    Alania Vladikavkaz in Russia are one I always check up on - I became fascinated with them being a previous Russian league winner being in Alania-Ossetia who've fell on hard times so when a promoted Alania Vladikavkaz found themselves in the Russian Division 1, I naturally had to create a profile to manage them.

Being a Hartlepool fan in real life, I also love to see them doing well and that applies for MK dons too.

I also had a liking for both Leeds and Wimbledon on the ODB, the latter led me to a genuine liking to the modern day MK Dons.

vCash
    For me Portugals Leixões S.C. on the Original 6.5 update. They are a goldmine of young talent. Cadinha, Daniel, China, Pedras, Jorge, Lucas, Andre, montenegro all became huge stars when i would sign them for my Porto save. I always enjoyed Olympiakos also. Primarily because they have a superb team on the 6.5 database and Ze Elias is a beast at DMC.Others include Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, FC Porto, Foggia, Forest Green Rovers, Dinamo Zagreb. Outside of the game i have a soft spot for KFC Eeklo in Belgium as a good friend supports them home and away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
    Alania Vladikavkaz in Russia are one I always check up on - I became fascinated with them being a previous Russian league winner being in Alania-Ossetia who've fell on hard times so when a promoted Alania Vladikavkaz found themselves in the Russian Division 1, I naturally had to create a profile to manage them.
    Now called Spartak Vladikavkaz

vCash
    Some quality shouts on here, bringing the memories back, Leeds 01/02, Atalanta 01/02, Parma 97/98, Fiorentina 99/00.

But my Fav has to be Milan 96/97 - Baresi, Maldini, Costacutra, Desailly, Boban, Albertini, Davids, Dugarry, Weah, Baggio, Savicevic - What a Team!!!!

The same time Serie A was on Channel 4 - I loved Serie A back then, still do, but back then every team seem to have a star player and was the place to be!!

vCash
    Also, Remember Betis in the 97/98 version of CM had Oli and Alfonso upfront who were absolute beasts, never really made the same impact in real life mind.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie22 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I think Oli and Alfonso were 0001? As in they were class in it.

Only suggesting it as I'd not played any earlier CM's

vCash
    Pretty sure it was 97/98 were they were amazing, but may still have been there in 00/01. Sure in 97/98 they also had Robert Jarni and Finidi George too! I think it was a season to early for Denilson tho but maybe wrong.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie22 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast