Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [STORY] The Pozzo Model

vCash
    Yep Lovren decided to leave Liverpool and surprisingly wasn't on much money with them so I was able to offer an improved deal and the next season had not rolled over so was technically still a Champions League club

Ivanovic was signed just before the start of the season, he was on a rolling contract all Summer with Chelsea so wouldn't move then they finally released him.

Udinese are crazy, so many goals and decent player ratings but just not winning enough games, I think once they are up we have the basis of a strong team already though!

vCash
    I'm amazed that Udinese have not made it back to the big time yet. I do wonder about the policy of signing a big name veteran every year. It clearly hasn't been working, so should they try for a more athletic, youthful squad ?

Congrats to both Watford and Grenada. Particularly the spaniards as it is tough to break into the top 6 there.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Was not expecting either of those guys to accept but great news, should have a couple of good years in them yet at 33 and 34. Thought they might get Iniesta as well but he chose Leeds!

vCash
    With Mitrovic, Volland, Mitroglou and now Papadopoulos, the Watford squad seems a bit top-heavy - what formation are you playing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    With Mitrovic, Volland, Mitroglou and now Papadopoulos, the Watford squad seems a bit top-heavy - what formation are you playing?
    3-5-2 - Mitrovic and Papadopoulos up top with Volland ACM, Mitroglou off the bench and when any of the other 3 need a rest. Volland is also cover for left mid. Deeney and Moses have moved to Granada so everyone is playing regularly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I'm amazed that Udinese have not made it back to the big time yet. I do wonder about the policy of signing a big name veteran every year. It clearly hasn't been working, so should they try for a more athletic, youthful squad ?

Congrats to both Watford and Grenada. Particularly the spaniards as it is tough to break into the top 6 there.
    Udinese have been frustrating but hopefully they will move on quickly like Granada did after coming back up! Couldn't resist a season of Zlatan, usually I would go down the youthfull route but it's been hard to attract players. I have a great short list if we can get up

vCash
    Do you play the same formation across the three teams?

Nice signings, by the way! They may be veterans now but surely they still have the stamina to contribute something vital to the season ahead?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Do you play the same formation across the three teams?

Nice signings, by the way! They may be veterans now but surely they still have the stamina to contribute something vital to the season ahead?
    I am playing the same with all 3 now but have not been all the way through. Watford and Granada I was playing 5-4-1 early on and I've tried everything I've ever had any success with at Udinese. 3-5-2 is the formation I always work towards having a squad to perform with as it's always ended up with success in the end, and it produces lots of goals along the way

vCash
    A New Year With Plenty to Cheer!

So it's now 1st January 2020 and we are mid way through season 6 of the Pozzo's mission to control Italy, Spain and England's top clubs.

In Watford it's been a solid first half of the campaign with the side currently 3rd in the Premier League having won the last 5 conceding just 1 goal!

New striker Papadopoulos has stepped up to the challenge of playing in a bigger league and has not slowed down his goalscoring pace having hit 33 goals from 32 games so far!

Another star performer has been academy product Isaac Fitzpatrick. The 21 year old CB is currently averaging 7.53 from 33 games having impressed last season on loan at Forest Green who incredibly came 3rd in The Championship.

The side have shown great resilience so far and have snatched vital points in the last minute away at Arsenal and Manchester United as well as coming through a scare in the UEFA Cup when they were reduced to 10 men at 0-0 with half an hour to play in Bucharest with the home side needing just a 1-0 win to progress on away goals. The side hung on and eventually scored a break away goal in the last minute to progress.

Can the Hornets go on and reclaim a Champions League place and perhaps win another trophy to add to the League Cup success 3 years ago?

In Italy Udinese are around where they need to be, currently 4th in Serie B with a game in hand. The reason for the game in hand is an excellent cup run in which the side won 3/3 in the lower league group stage before knocking out Serie A sides Chievo and AC Milan!

Vetran Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored some big goals and Tom Chamberlain looks to be proving himself as a genuine prospect for the top of the game having hit 17 goals in 19 games so far, that's now 41 goals in 45 games for the club in total.

Deadline day free transfer signing Yaya Toure is also providing great experience in midfield while Colin Kazim-Richards has been impressive again with 14 goals in 19 games, that's 80 goals in 131 games now for the Turkish attacker.

The last game before the Xmas break was a thumping 6-1 home win to give fans hope that this will finally be the year Udinese get back to the top flight.

Granada fans were made to wait to see Rooney and Ronaldo play together as both suffered injury while on August International duty but the side have still made a good start to the season and sit in 5th place. Wins over Barca and a stunning comeback away from home from 2-0 down against fellow top 4 hopefuls Atletico Madrid have been a highlight. The side also remain in the UEFA cup and a meeting with sister club Watford is still possible after a very tough draw against Wolfsburg was overcome on penalties after 2 tense matches with the Germans.

The club were forced to sell young Serbian Karasic to Espanyol for 10 million after the winger refused to sign a new deal which expired at the end of the season but Victor Moses who had lost his place in the Watford side to new signing Allen Halilovic has joined to take his place on the left wing.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Going strong with all 3 clubs!

Nice to see Udinese a bit closer up there for a change, Sassuolo look too far ahead though.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    Solid all round, all three clubs need a decent run to trouble the top though. Halilovic and Romeu are decent players at Watford.

vCash
    Going strong with all 3 clubs!

Nice to see Udinese a bit closer up there for a change, Sassuolo look too far ahead though.
    Maybe but I'd bite your hand off just for 3rd and an end to their madness!

Solid all round, all three clubs need a decent run to trouble the top though. Halilovic and Romeu are decent players at Watford.
    Chelsea are a machine, they look good for 5 in a row with all their games in hand but hopefully we can get 2nd for the 2nd time in 3 years at Watford. Zaragoza are a suprise leader so hopefully Granada can catch them but small matter of Barca and Madrid still! Romeu was an early signing, he's proved to be a bargain! Halilovic does look a great prospect

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 6 Results!

So did Udinese finally make it back to Serie A? Well this is how the table looked with 10 games to go....

Very tight but with Udinese scoring plenty of goals with Kazim-Richards and Chamberlain leading the scoring charts surely they would bag enough wins to get over the line right??

Spoiler!

After 5 seasons in the wilderness Udinese will take on the big boys once more next season. It looked like it could be another tale of woe as from a strong position the side lost 3 games in a row seemingly self destructing with own goals, red cards and last minute brain farts. However after some very strong words from the management team and a personal dressing down by Giampaolo Pozzo himself the side got them selves together and stormed trough the final 4 games to take 2nd place.

The players celebrated with their fans as they celebrated promotion and also said an emotional goodbye to perhaps the only hero of the past 5 years Colin Kazim-Richards who has decided to leave the club having scored 97 goals in 4 seasons at the club winning 2 promotions.

At Granada the club were looking for perhaps a tilt at the Champions League places after securing the signings of Rooney and Ronaldo but with a UEFA Cup campaign to contend with as well it proved difficult to get the duo paired up in every game and Ronaldo in particular had his share of knocks over the season as the side came 6th for the 2nd year running. The UEFA cup run came to an end at the 4th round stage and a tie with sister club Watford never materialised.

At Watford the aim was a run in Europe and to regain a place in the Champions League.

It looked like the UEFA Cup run had come to a tame end after a 4-1 defeat away from home at PSV who were languishing in 7th place in Holland. If the guys underestimated their opponents they certainly got themselves up for the 2nd leg which proved to be a famous night under the lights at Vicarage Road.

Next up was Granada's conquerors Verona in the Semi-Final who were swept away in style to leave an all English final vs Spurs to look forward to.

Before that there was a job to do in the league and Watford secured 2nd place to automatically qualify for the group stages of next season's Champions League. It was a campaign to remember for new boy Papadopoulos who bagged the League's Player of the Year award after bagging 34 Premier League goals and 57 in all competitions.

In a proud moment for the club's coaching staff academy graduate Isaac Fitzpatrick also walked away with the Young Player of the Year award after making a CB position his own this season.

Volland and Mitrovic joined the duo in the Team of the Year.

So on the UEFA Cup final and a chance for Watford and the Pozzo family's first European trophy.......

[spoiler]

A solid 2-0 win to secure a triumph Watford's fans could scarcely believe and the players returned home to packed streets and a hero's welcome!

and these are the men that will go down in the club's history....

So with 1 club in the Champions League, one in the Europa league and 1 making a top flight return where should the Pozzo's be investing next season? With Watford bagging 25 million in prize money for a 2nd place finish and European win and Granada selling Serbian Karasic to Espanyol for 10 million mid season they certainly have something to think about.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Glory at last for the Pozzo's! Well done on the UEFA Cup win with Watford. It looks like you've got things sorted in England now as Watford are always up there. Some way behind the champions though, hopefully it'll be a lot closer next year.

6th not bad at all with Granada. Spain is notoriously difficult to crack, a few more signings and possibly younger legs and you can do it Rooney and Ronaldo look to have played well enough when available though!

Udinese - At last! Nothing is ever easy though re: that bad run of 3 defeats! Glad you got over the finishing line in the end. Look forwards to seeing how you get on in Serie A!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    I'd call that a successful season all round! I reckon the investment for next year ought to go to Grenada mainly - let's keep Udinese up and keep Watford in the CL places, but see if Grenada can push on into the top four in Spain!

vCash
    Glory at last for the Pozzo's! Well done on the UEFA Cup win with Watford. It looks like you've got things sorted in England now as Watford are always up there. Some way behind the champions though, hopefully it'll be a lot closer next year.

6th not bad at all with Granada. Spain is notoriously difficult to crack, a few more signings and possibly younger legs and you can do it Rooney and Ronaldo look to have played well enough when available though!

Udinese - At last! Nothing is ever easy though re: that bad run of 3 defeats! Glad you got over the finishing line in the end. Look forwards to seeing how you get on in Serie A!
    Hope to get closer Chelsea, they have an ageing squad now so they will need to do some good business in the near future, Udinese were never going to do it the easy way were they!

I'd call that a successful season all round! I reckon the investment for next year ought to go to Grenada mainly - let's keep Udinese up and keep Watford in the CL places, but see if Grenada can push on into the top four in Spain!
    Would be nice to push Granada on especially with a player like Ronaldo to build around for a couple more years at least. I have no confidence in the current Udinese squad at all though and John Ruddy is leaving Watford so need a new keeper - will need to scout well this Summer

24. The Following User Says Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    Summer Transfer Round-Up

Watford

In the transfer market it's been quiet for Watford. With John Ruddy leaving for Lazio a new number was essential though and Mignolet is the man to come in.

On the pitch Champions League Winners Barcelona were the opponents in the Super Cup. Watford contributed to an entertaining game with the 2 men who were on target in the UEFA Cup Final finding the net again but a Suarez inspired Barca were too good on the night.

The Hornet's will meet Barca again this Winter as they have been dealt a tough draw in the FIFA Club World Championships.

Watford will be looking to get plenty of points on the board before they set off as they will likely have 3-5 games in hand come January depending on how they progress in the League Cup.

Granada

Granada enjoyed a productive Summer strengthening their squad with some established quality while not breaking the bank

The Spaniards made it safely through the Intertoto Cup to take their place in the UEFA Cup once more. They now face a tough start in LaLiga where they face 3 last season's top 4 in the first 3 matches!

Udinese

At Udinese the Pozzo's have made the most of Watford's success last season and have spent heavily on a Serie A return and will be hoping they have found a perfect match of youth and experience.

So this the squad looking to push Udinese on to catch up with their Sister clubs in Spain and England.

Last edited by loyal_royal1; 19-07-15 at 12:09 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Plenty of deals going on! Udinese looking good indeed, some impressive signings there.

Good to see Granada have made it into the UEFA Cup, some good results there in the Inter-Toto.

Small changes to Watford then, hope you've got the squad depth for the Club World Championship!
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    How's it going loyal_royal1? Been reading this one at work all week

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFlo View Post
    How's it going loyal_royal1? Been reading this one at work all week
    Nice to see! I'm a couple of months into the new season so will do an update soon but just moved house so not had a session for week or so

vCash
    Just caught up on this, and wow things improved since the last time I checked I think you were right to strengthen the Udinese squad but I'm a bit disappointed by the total lack of investment in the Watford squad. A nice run in the CL is still possible but unlikely. Looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Zbimg View Post
    Just caught up on this, and wow things improved since the last time I checked I think you were right to strengthen the Udinese squad but I'm a bit disappointed by the total lack of investment in the Watford squad. A nice run in the CL is still possible but unlikely. Looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

It takes a seriously good and often expensive player to improve Watford now I did try and sign a few players for them but they went elswhere. There has been 1 big addition I managed to get in a few games into the season but I'll save it for a proper update shortly! There is a little bot of money left which hopefully will be boosted by Champs Lge and World Champs so I'm on the look out, there are going to be a crazy amount of fixtures in Dec/Jan.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 7 Update - 1/3 in - Solid Foundations!

Udinese

After what can best be described as a patchy start Udinese look to be finding their feet back in Serie A as the side settles and the manager gets a feeling for his best 11 after a Summer of strong recruitment.

The side have now taken 7 points from the last 3 games including an encouraging home win over Napoli who just could not cope with Udinese's pacey attacking style as 3 players got themselves sent off!

The season started with a 3-5-2 formation but with the wingers failing to deliver and the goals flying in the side have switched to a narrow 3-5-2 with Yaya Toure and Anders Pereria coming into the side.

Record signing Divok Origi has made a solid start with 6 goals in 13 games while young Brazilian De Oliveira Filho has ousted veteran Zlatan Ibrahimovic from the starting line up after impressing off the bench several times. The Summer signing who scored 26 goals in Serie B last season now has 5 goals to his name.

The star performer of the last 2 years Tom Chamberlain struggled to find his feet at the higher level and failed to score in the first 9 games but has hit 4 in the last 3. We can probably forgive the 24 year old English striker for taking some time to adjust to life in Italy's top flight considering his arrival in Italy via Pickering Town and Accrington Stanley.

Granada

Granada are well in the mix in Spain and may even reflect on a missed opportunity to build an early lead in La Liga. Despite defeats to Barcelona and Real Madrid by the odd goal the side sit just 1 point from the top of the table. Highlights have included wins over current leaders Valencia and serial top 4 side Atletico Madrid. It could be argued at this stage that the 6 point lead over Atletico is more significant than the gap to the top as Granada look to qualify for the Champions League for the first time.

Just as in Udine the Pozzo's have to be happy with their Summer investment in Spain as Sigurdsson, Mikel, Alves, Coeff and Bakalli have all made good contributions.

As well as that 22 Nigerian forward Chima Agbo looks to be developing into a quality player having been bought as back-up from Groningen in Holland for 475k 2 years ago.

Illichevets of Ukraine and CFR Cluj of Romania have been dispatched in the UEFA Cup but a 1-2 deficit will need to be overturned when Bordeaux visit Spain. Considering 5 players were unavailable for the 1st leg due to International duty things could be worse there!

Fans will be praying Ronaldo can stay fit this time around and a season around the top of the league can be maintained.

Watford

In England again the Pozzo's have a side who sit just 1 point from the top of the league. Watford had lead the way from the start right through to the last round of fixtures where a defeat to Chelsea saw the side aiming for 7 titles in a row take the lead.

In the Champions League the 1st group phase was safely negotiated largely thanks to crucial home wins vs Zenit (3-0) and Galatasaray (1-0)

After a disappointing home defeat to Porto in match day 1 of Phase 2 Watford may well need a win against holders Barcelona if they are to progress but Sampdoria have already showed it is possible!

The Hornets now travel to Barca in their next match before flying to France for the World Championships. Fans will be hoping Chelsea drop points while they are away to set up a thrilling chase as their side come back to a number of games in hand.

With Mignolet being the only signing of the Summer the Pozzo's had promised a small amount funds were available should the right player become available as the season progressed and they were true to their word when news broke of a surprise transfer request in Spain...

Spoiler!

It promises to be an action packed middle 3rd of the season which could see Watford crowned club World Champions and foundations built for the Pozzo's best season yet!
    Last edited by loyal_royal1; 30-07-15 at 02:57 PM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loyal_royal1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice update, good to see all 3 teams doing well.

Great signing for Watford in Benzema, hope he can still play for you in Europe?

Ronaldo looks in good form for Granada, does he still get injured a lot?

Udinese not doing the best but coping OK from the looks of it. At least Chamberlain is still performing well even if he hasn't been getting enough goals.
    The Alphabet Game #3

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast