Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CM: The Women's Game

vCash

CM: The Women's Game

As some of you know already, for about a year now I have been working on a new DB for 01/02, which will cover women's football. Of course, due to league structures, in most cases the playable leagues won't be accurate - at least not in this first version; I think I do recall reading that such things can be changed, so in the future I'll try and make leagues accurate in terms of how many teams per division, etc. But for now it's work enough to get the base of a playable DB done using the existing leagues.

I'm fairly far along already, getting pretty close to "done" with the research phase, at least "done enough" where I can start entering the players/staff/clubs etc. into the DB.

So, I figured I'd start this thread so that any of you who might be interested can follow my progress, and also for my own ease - I can ask questions here and then I have answers all in one place for easy reference.

I'll have many more questions over the next while, but for now just thought I'd start this thread to introduce the project to those who might not yet know about it... and ask one question, a "preference" thing as opposed to something heavy and serious.

So: for a lot of (minor) countries, it's proving very difficult to find information on what players play for what club - often, I've got a reasonable number of players and a reasonable number of clubs, but no information on who plays for what club. Since these are fairly unimportant countries (and unplayable anyways), I was thinking that instead of leaving say all 30 players as free agents, to just assign them to clubs based on the relative strength of said clubs - the league champ would get the bulk of the strongest players, like. What do y'all think - would it be better to do it like this, or to just leave them all as FAs?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Oh, thought I'd also mention, to be clear - I put this in the "patches" section because I *am* making patch-like changes too - World Cup host-candidates, league names, nation names, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapinoe View Post
    Oh, thought I'd also mention, to be clear - I put this in the "patches" section because I *am* making patch-like changes too - World Cup host-candidates, league names, nation names, etc.
    That was my first thought as well - Shouldn't this be in 'Data Updates'

Good luck with the project
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good luck Rapinoe.

Some task.

Hopefully after the success of the World Cup, some of the gaps will begin to be filled in for research.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks guys.

Little difficulty in research with the big nations and western Europe, it's when you venture into Africa, Asia and South America that things get more challenging. But Soccerway and Wikipedia have been a huge help (and being a polyglot helps too!)

vCash
    So a couple of oddities I noticed, that would be cool if someone could explain or at least suggest something.

1: As it is, Afghanistan never has a squad and never has any fixtures scheduled. I added some Afghan players (yes, real ones), started a game... and boom, the Afghan NT is there with the handful of non-grey players and a bunch of grey ones, and fixtures scheduled. Kept on working, added some players elsewhere. Looked at Afghanistan, was back to the blank screen with no fixtures. Only difference: the second time, I selected South Korea as one of the active leagues, whereas I think I had Australia (i.e. not Asian) selected the first time around.

2: I create some staff, assign them to various NT manager positions (in CM Explorer)... start a game, they're all scattered through various other NTs than what they're assigned to...

vCash
    On a hunch I opened the DB in the official editor, made one very minor change (increased a player's PA by 1), and started a new game with Australia selected. Afghanistan was once again populated with grey and non-grey players, and had a friendly scheduled. Cool.

Started another game, with South Korea selected: Afghanistan is once again empty - no players, no matches.

Started another game, with Croatia selected: Afghanistan is again empty.

Started another game, with Argentina selected: Afghanistan is again empty.

And made one last try with a new game, with Australia and South Korea selected: Afghanistan is populated, with a friendly scheduled against Kazakhstan.

So seems like something about Australia makes Afghanistan become 'active'...

(As an aside, putting the DB through the official editor did not make a difference with problem #2)

vCash
    In cm0102ed.exe go to Tools > Validate Database and Save & Close (it might best to run it twice). Download cmdbsort.exe, add it to the CM folder and run it. Select yes when asked to over write any errors. There might be mismatch errors with the euro.cfg but they are ok for now.

See does' that help. For Editing data I'd recommend not using any Editor bar the Editor with .68 (works on .65, .60 and the other CM3 series also).

You can go to CM folder > Editor > Validation logs and upload the first 2 logs you have and I'll take a look for you

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Good work Rapinoe. I've know you've been putting a ton of effort into this so I'll be following along with great interest

and I'll try and chip in with the odd piece of knowledge here and there if I can

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Forrest View Post
    Good work Rapinoe. I've know you've been putting a ton of effort into this so I'll be following along with great interest

and I'll try and chip in with the odd piece of knowledge here and there if I can
    Breast size isn't in the editor!

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    I think if it was relevant, Pinoe would def have found a way to work it in

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well maybe if there was an attr for chest traps it'd be relevant.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Well things are progressing slowly with entering players and staff and club info. So far I've got all CONCACAF countries done, and all other countries from Afghanistan to Finnish 1st division. So today I decided to do a bit of a test go and see how the World Cup goes, and I'm encouraged! Most results were well within the realm of plausibility and, pretty reasonable, even for those countries that have no or few players in the DB yet (I've already adjusted nation reps and coefficients and such). So here are a few screencaps from this test run as a teaser:

Perfectly reasonable semifinal matchup - three of the four who actually made it in reality this year.

Also reasonable, and honestly I still think had Japan not fluked out v England in the semis, this is a result we could have seen in reality.

So. Still a long way from playable, but getting there. I'm encouraged!

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Awesome stuff

vCash
    Lucy Bronze on the bench

Great work Rapinoe.

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    No Rapinoe for the US?

Great work

vCash
    Pinoe got injured in the QF.

vCash
    A couple of questions.

First - there are a few players in the DB who by all rights should be being selected for their respective national teams, but are not. For example, Lady Andrade. She's Colombian, playing in Finland with PK-35 (club rep 6500), CA 161, PA 181, current and world reps 161, home rep 190. By these numbers, in relation to other Colombian players, she should be selected for the NT without a second thought, and yet she's being passed over for players with lower CA/PA and lower reps. Any idea what might be done to change this?

Second - for major teams like Lyon, PSG, Arsenal, Liverpool etc, this is easy, I've simply put them in the stadia the men's teams play in, but for some other teams I can't do this. Juvisy for example is a major team (rep 8500), but in reality they play in a 2000 seat stadium, but there's no big stadium in Viry-Chatillon I could move them to like for some other teams. So I'm open to suggestions... for the moment I have Juvisy's stadium as 2000 seats/2000 capacity with 30000 expansion capacity, but should I maybe boost the total capacity by say 10000? They'd still be at an economic disadvantage compared to PSG and Lyon, which isn't necessarily undesirable, but perhaps less severe a disadvantage...? I want things as accurate as possible, but still playable and enjoyable, which means certain things like economy can't be accurate, and having to keep that in mind I need to change a few things, like here... would be happy to hear opinions on this.

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    With regards to the first point how do the league reputations compare between those being picked and Lady Andrade? It could be that the league reputation in Finland causes her to be overlooked. Try making out that leagues rep and see if she gets called up?

vCash
    Do PSG and Arsenal play at the men's team stadiums? I know Liverpool play there's at the Widnes Select Security stadium that only holds about 13,000.

I haven't done much editing but if you put average and max attendances for say the arsenal team at 2,000 and 3,000, I don't think you'll have a problem with 50,000 turning up one game, the only problem then is ground maintenance for the bigger stadiums.

Was going to say league rep for the first question as well like Jesus.

vCash
    Re the first question: I checked, sure enough Finland's league standard in the official editor was 5, and Colombia's was 8; national reps were 15 and 13 respectively. So I changed that, boosting Finland's league standard to 11, but still no luck - Andrade is still not in the NT. So try again, this time dropping Colombia's league standard to 6 and upping Finland's to 12, and Andrade is *still* not in the Colombian NT. This is really starting to bug me, she's probably the biggest star on that surprising team and will be a star on the global stage for years yet I'm sure, she needs to be on that NT.

Re: the second point - AMC: no, they play at smaller stadia. But, yeah, that thing about the ground maintenance is one of the things I need to consider, and why I decided to put the clubs whose men's team plays in a bigger stadium, into those stadia - the game world is designed to reflect the world of men's football, and I think that some concessions in accuracy have to be made in order to keep the game enjoyable (and playable!). And the game economy is one of those concessions that I think have to be made. To that end I have no issue moving teams to the bigger stadia where possible.

The only issue there, then, is with a case like Juvisy. They play at the 2000-seat Stade Georges Maquin in Viry-Châtillon. The only other option in the area I can find is the 5700-seat Stade Henri Longuet, where the (men's club) ES Viry-Châtillon play. At that point it's hardly worth moving them, I don't think. But I can't decide what to do. Well, okay. Perhaps once I finish entering players for the French 1st Division I'll leave Juvisy's stadium as 2000 capacity/2000 seats/30000 expansion, start a game and play say 5-6 seasons controlling Juvisy, and see how things go. If economically it is too bad/difficult then I'll go with the second idea and make the stadium 2000/10000/30000 and go that route for clubs in this situation.

vCash
    Change the rep of Friendly and the Copa America. The Copa starts when game loads. Some nations pick 2nd string for comps that aren't high rep e.g. African Nations Cup Qualifiers used to have all reserve sides and then completely different squads for the AFCON itself.

Make her the managers fav player and preferred type for her role also

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I did those, and finally, she was in the Colombian NT, yay!

vCash
    So just as a bit of update, and to show I'm still working on this... I've been plugging away at entering players and staff and refs and clubs and such. I've so far finished all the CONCACAF countries, and all other countries from A through F. So... here's a list of staff counts so far (players plus non-playing staff, not refs):

Afghanistan 15
    Albania 155
    Algeria 40
    American Samoa 1
    Angola 8
    Anguilla 47
    Antigua & Barbuda 38
    Argentina 237
    Armenia 52
    Aruba 11
    Australia 380
    Austria 471
    Azerbaijan 48
    Bahamas 28
    Bahrain 3
    Bangladesh 21
    Barbados 26
    Belarus 187
    Belgium 761
    Belize 37
    Benin 1
    Bermuda 32
    Bhutan 12
    Bolivia 32
    Bosnia 215
    Botswana 18
    Brazil 759
    British VI 5
    Brunei 1
    Bulgaria 247
    Burkina Faso 3
    Burundi 0
    Cambodia 5
    Cameroon 39
    Canada 292
    Cape Verde 0
    Cayman Islands 30
    Central African Rep. 0
    Chad 1
    Chile 31
    China 139
    Colombia 92
    Congo 3
    Cook Islands 18
    Costa Rica 104
    Croatia 361
    Cuba 50
    Cyprus 69
    Czech Rep 275
    Denmark 611
    Djibouti 1
    Dominica 45
    Dominican Rep. 34
    Ecuador 29
    Egypt 31
    El Salvador 80
    England 2107
    Equatorial Guinea 24
    Eritrea 1
    Estonia 125
    Ethiopia 24
    FYR Macedonia 147
    Faroe Islands 156
    Fiji 1
    Finland 436
    France 1645

Grenada 0
    Guatemala 61
    Guyana 8
    Haiti 43
    Honduras 36
    Jamaica 91
    Mexico 103
    Montserrat 0
    Neth. Antilles 19
    Nicaragua 46
    Panama 54
    Puerto Rico 51
    St. Kitts 10
    St. Lucia 4
    St. Vincent 1
    Surinam 22
    Trinidad & Tobago 77
    Turks & Caicos 0
    USA 729
    US VI 2
    So for the playable leagues we have:

Argentina - 237: Roster info is surprisingly difficult to come by, and only a few D1 teams have full rosters (Boca, River, UAI Urquiza). Not really enough there to make it worth playing in this league unless your main objective is just to play in CONMEBOL club comps.

Australia - 380: All but a few extra teams I had to add to the top league have full rosters, so this is playable.

Belgium - 761: Easily playable.

Brazil - 759: All top division teams but one have full rosters, so plenty playable.

Croatia - 361: Info from here is pretty difficult to gather, too, but there are enough players in here to make it possible to play this league if you stick to D1. You'll have to do a lot of squad/depth building, though...

Denmark - 611: Easily playable.

England - 2107: Easily playable Prem/D1/D2/D3, down at Conference level rosters are spotty, some teams are full, some are empty, but still playable.

Finland - 436: Easily playable if you stick to the Naisten Liga (top division).

France - 1645: Easily playable at any level.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Just a tip Rapinoe. Don't make any Tapani or patching style changes until you have the data complete. Our at least use a completely separate installation for doing that sort of work. Once you corrupt the data it can't really be undone and if you have only the one copy it be a hell of a lot to lose. If you are using cm0102ed.exe to make the changes you can export after each session you make changes in Tools > Data Distribution Wizard.

Then you can copy the data to the installation where you are maybe doing league swaps and the likes

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast