Thread: Training and Finances - An Alternative Guide

vCash

Training and Finances - An Alternative Guide

Hi all,
    I've been playing this game since it was released in erm... 01-02, obviously. Between than and discovering the original incarnation of this site I muddled along never really learning anything about how to play the game whilst enjoying limited success. Since becoming a member of this community (which I frequent all too sparingly, I'm sorry to say) I've become more intrigued with the minutia of both Training and Finances. Thanks to the now famous excellent work by The Eejit (http://www.champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=714 a must for everyone, not just newbies) and my own research into the finances of matches and running a reserve team I've got a better understanding of getting the most from my team. At this point I feel I should disclose that I'm totally and utterly inept when comes to tactics, so I won't be offering any insights into that aspect of the game, and I'm not particularly great at scouting either (I often rely on you guys for that). But there are a number of things thing that I now do with every team I manage, regardless of their position in the league and if any of these insights can help any of you, then this won't have been a waste of time.

I've divided this into three sections: Training (mostly taken from the above link [at the time it was originally posted]); Finances Part 1: Match Day Revenues and the Costs and Efficiency of Running A Reserve Team; and Finances Part 2: Staff Costs and the Tie-in Between Finances & Training.

Firstly Training.

In the spoiler box below is a copy of my observations from The Eejit's research (which may include some bits and bobs from myself and others). I seem to remember there being more to it than what was copied over to the above link but I could be wrong. It was by no mean feat migrating everything across and I certainly don't envy those who achieved it (particularly Patinoz ).

Spoiler!

The conclusion to The Eejit's work is:

To achieve maximum efficiency the total coaching value (ie. the combined total Coaching Outfield or Coaching Goalkeepers rating for each coach per regime) should be 50.
    So, 5 coaches with CO 10 is 5 x 10 = 50 (2.74 % improvement); 3 coaches with CO 20 is 3 x 20 = 60 (2.72 % improvement);
    Therefore 1 with CO 10, + 1 with CO 12, + 2 with CO 15 = 10 + 12 + 15 + 15 = 52, which should bring you the maximum possible player improvement, 2.74 %.
    I found this to be the most important element of The Eejit's work.

Here is an example in table form:

Name Pascoe Achterberg Hyde Marsh Walker Total =
    CO 17 13 14 17 15
    CG 9 20 16 8 16
    Fitness 17 x 14 17 15 x 63
    Tactics 17 13 x 17 15 x 62
    Shooting 17 13 14 17 x x 61
    Skills 17 13 x 17 15 x 62
    Keepers x 20 16 x 16 x 52

Combine this with each coach working at least 3 training regimes and you have the most effective use of your coaches.

But what training regime should be used for each position, and what intensity should they be at? This one, quite obviously is a personal preference. Knowing which attributes are improved with each regime helps us to tailor each schedule to best suit the players needs. I use the following:

Spoiler!

You'll notice that Defenders have two intensive regimes, which does increasing the frequency of injuries, however The Eejit also showed that having three physios will decrease the frequency of injuries and the duration of the injuries.

Managing your reserves development.
    We know that training doesn't improve all of your players attributes and that the remaining attributes are improved by playing games. The reserve fixtures are completely out of your control, as is the quality of opposition. Rather than controlling the Reserve side I prefer to control their development a bit more closely. I promote all of my players to the first team and have my reserves play 1 friendly every week. This will also help you to raise more money (see below).
    Pick 15 to 20 teams, I use CMScout to search for Keepers at teams with a Club reputation between 8000 and 10000. Sort the list according to team, then according to reputation. Make a note of the top teams. Arrange a Home friendly every week throughout the season (I always try to schedule it for a Monday) against each team, once at the bottom of the list start again from the top. Use these games to blood your youth players.
    If you are at a team where the top sides reject your friendly requests try arranging games against sides in the league above; alternatively use CMScout to discover your clubs reputation and search in the same way as mention above for teams between your Club Rep and your club + 1000.

Finances Part 1: Match Day Revenues and the Costs and Efficiency of Running A Reserve Team.

This part is from my own research.

A few times now I have recorded data throughout the course of a season for both a top side and a lower side, unfortunately that data was on the old site and on a now defunct hard drive in the bottom of a drawer. However it basically consisted of:

*Away games gained no revenue, whether they were League games, Cup games or friendly games,
    *All home games generate revenue from ticket sales and merchandising,
    *You lose money from ground maintenance, which does increase depending on how many home games you play but it's much less than the combined income from gate receipts and merchandising,
    *If your reserve team play their games at another stadium you lose money for the privilege,
    *If your reserve team do play at home they bring in very little money, especially compared to senior friendly games.

So, if home games make money, the reserve games lose money/make little money, home friendlies give you more control and are a better way to develop your youth... Circle back around to Managing your reserves development, above.

Finances Part 2: Staff Costs and the Tie-in Between Finances & Training.

Personally I think all teams should hire the cheapest staff possible. More money for quality players. But the staff you hire need to up to the job. Thanks to the aforementioned work by Sir Eejit of Champman0102.co.uk we now know that three physios are highly beneficial with regards to keeping your players fit, but we also know that the only significant stat is Physiotherapy. Therefore, go forth and find the three cheapest unemployed physios you can, reputation is meaningless.
    This also applies to coaches. Coaching Keepers and Coaching Outfield Players are the only proven significant attributes, so go looking for the four cheapest unemployed coaches with CO/CG of 12 or 13 and above and give them four regimes each. Working with youth players may be useful, but there is no real evidence of that and there is no evidence than any other coach attributes have any effect at all. You can usually pick up a physio or coach for a few hundred pounds a week, much less than the thousands that high reputation staff ask for. Also, I never hire an Assistant Manager, they want more money and apart from the occasional insight into a player I don't think they add anything to a team unless you utilise the Holiday Mode, if you can find one that still wants the low, low wages of a mere coach then my all means go for it, but I rarely find one.
    Finally, Scouts. Again, this is down to personal preference but I only keep one scout on the books, the one with the lowest wage but highest Judging Player Potential and assign him to searching for Youth Players. If you use Fog of War (I don't) I'd also recommend keeping a couple more with high Judging Ability, one to scout Next Opposition and another to search all the different regions in turn, starting with the ones you're most likely to buy players from. As with other staff, Judging Ability & Potential are the only useful attributes so go and get the cheapest you can find.

[EDIT: The table example of coaching regimes is horizontal, rather than the vertical as I intended. Sorry, it's the first time I've used that function.]
    Last edited by trevorplatt; 13-11-15 at 04:28 AM.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to trevorplatt For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice bit of info mate, thread stickied

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Agree with Goofy, this is a nice alternative to what we know already and also summarises The Eejit's research well. Good work TP

vCash
    This is a really nice summary. Deserves a bump from me

vCash
    That's a really nice piece of information. There is just one thing wrong about your findings. You say "Away games gained no revenue, whether they were League games, Cup games or friendly games" but for my experience in the game away games from Cup games gives ticket sales money. That's what saves my finances in most part of the times I'm with some small club from lower divisions. I stated a save game with Grimsby (English Conference Division) and I faced Man Utd at Manchester in the League Cup. More than 68.000 in the stadium and more than 1 million to my bank account. Unfortunately I don't have a screen shot of the finances in the occasion because I saw this post just after that. I'm not sure how it works for Continental Cups or other championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by guiluismelo View Post
    That's a really nice piece of information. There is just one thing wrong about your findings. You say "Away games gained no revenue, whether they were League games, Cup games or friendly games" but for my experience in the game away games from Cup games gives ticket sales money. That's what saves my finances in most part of the times I'm with some small club from lower divisions. I stated a save game with Grimsby (English Conference Division) and I faced Man Utd at Manchester in the League Cup. More than 68.000 in the stadium and more than 1 million to my bank account. Unfortunately I don't have a screen shot of the finances in the occasion because I saw this post just after that. I'm not sure how it works for Continental Cups or other championships.
    Thanks everyone, sorry I've been away for so long again! Life's a pain. I'm looking forward to the April update when I get home.

I did the research for the ticket prices a long time ago and published it on the old site, unfortunately my hard drive with the info on crashed, but I remember being a bit pissed off that we didn't get any revenue for any away game for either Liverpool or York City (I might try to repeat my test in a month or two). Liverpool played their reserve's games at a nearby Club and it actually cost LFC money to play there. Scandalous!

vCash
    Question on your goalkeeper training. You've provided the regime as below spoiler. You've shown the Goalkeeping training only improves 'Handling'. Now lets assume two things (1) all the goalkeepers in your squad are aged 25+ and have maxed out their Handling (very unlikely to increase in future) or (2) your No 1 goalkeeper already has Handling attribute at 20 and you're not that concerned about back ups gk's. Is it necessary to set the goalkeeping at 'intensive' training since it won't improve the Handling attribute any further? Wouldn't it be better perhaps after a one or two seasons to change it to medium and instead use the intensive training for fitness and/or tactics?

Spoiler!

vCash
    Is there any benefit of assigning coaches to 3 or 4 schedules like you've done in your table?

Based on what I read you can assign them to all 5 and it makes no difference.

vCash
    Better off reading the "everything there is to know about training thread "