Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win Everything With Anyone - A Quick Guide - by churky

vCash

Win Everything With Anyone - A Quick Guide - by churky

I see a lot of people tend to overcomplicate things in CM 01/02, especially newbies who still struggle with the game to a certain extent. Tapani made a quick guide for world domination, which includes holidaying and requires a good plug-and-play tactic.
    I'll present a quick and simple way to play this game in order to win anything you want without holidaying or using a super tactic.
    This is not the only way you can be successful, far from it. It's just one of the simplest ways to achieve great things. Some may agree with me or not, but the fact remains I've won almost every trophy using the method below.

Tactics

In order to be successful in this game, you do not need a killer tactic like Iodine or DWS. All you need is take into consideration a few things about the match engine in general and apply a few simple things to wibwob screens.

1. You need a narrow formation, preferably without wingers. Of course, you can win using any formation, but with using a narrow one you're already one step ahead.
    2. Don't play with 3 at the back, use 4. If you don't mind completely unrealistic tactics, use 2 defenders as the game doesn't cope with that too well.
    3. Employ a DMC to your formation because it's the most overpowered position in CM 01/02.
    4. Use either 1 or 3 strikers, simply because it works better in this game. Again, tactics with 2 strikers can be as lethal as any, but 1 or 3 strikers is the easy way forward.

Team instructions

Short passing, pressing on, offside trap on, attacking mentality, tackling hard. You cannot go wrong with those settings.

Without the ball screen

The lowest middle WOB box is the key, you need to fill it with bodies.
    On upper WOB screens, you need to push your defensive line much higher than the default position. It will make you both defensively(offside trap) and offensively(pressing) potent.

With the ball screen

Put your fullbacks (or other wide players if you decided to use them) as narrow as possible while maintaining their wide positions on overview screen.
    Crowd the highest middle WIB box with your forwards and midfielders.
    Place your players on the edges of each box, avoid having more than one player in the middle.

That's it. Just by following those simple instructions you can improve any non wibwob tactic by a considerably great margin.

Staff

Thanks to The Eejit's research, this is very straight-forward.

Coaches and Assistant Manager need Coaching Goalkeepers and Coaching Outfield Players.
    Scouts need Judging Ability and Judging Potential Ability.
    Physios only require Physiotherapy.

You can easily ignore other attribute (they can't hurt, of course).

Players

All positions demand Determination.

On top of that...

a) goalkeepers need only Handling, and maybe Reflexes and Positioning, but it's not vital
    b) central defenders, fullbacks, and defensive midfielders need Positioning. Other logical things like Jumping, Marking and Tackling are nice to have, but not really necessary
    c) other midfielders need Passing and Off the Ball. Again, many other attributes can help, but you can focus on those two, especially in the lower leagues
    d) forwards need Jumping, Pace and Off the Ball

Scouting

Just send your scouts once or twice a season to each of the countries available. Once their report is completed, browse it using the filters above. That's all, you don't need to click club after club, player after player etc.

This is a very simplified guide, you can expand it in many ways, but it's more than sufficient to succeed at any level.
    I repeat, this is not gospel, just one of the ways to dominate CM 01/02. The only difference is that the emphasis is on simplicity.

This guide is aimed at newbies who can't get the grasp of the game. I know forums are filled with experienced CMers and I encourage your criticism on this.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Hi there, I've recently returned to CM after a long layoff and have been struggling to be honest and was really pleased to see this guide so I gave it a shot!!

Unfortunately it hasn't proved to be the tonic that I thought it would be so I'm after some further advice if thats ok?

I always try and take an unlikely team from low down to the Prem so I chose Huddersfield (good stadium/facilities, but little money) I have set up the team as per above with the best available players as per your stat guide and Determination. Unfortunately I currently reside in mid table, frequently losing games to teams at the bottom, creating lots of chances but converting very little or coming up against the greatest GK display ever. Any ideas!!!

Most of my players Determination is 11 or above and I tend to only put players in who match the stat recommendations with at least a 10 in the right attributes. I'm not sure I set the team up right on the WIBWOB screens but I pretty much followed the instructions. I have a back 4, DMC, 2CM and 3Strikers, should any of them have arrows going forward or anything?

Also this is the plain old game from the disc, should I update it at all and would that help with this tactic?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Al

vCash
    Hi, first of all, it takes some time to win using my guide, mostly due to not having a super tactic which makes the players irrelevant.

Whatever team you start with, they're bound to have loads of players that don't fit in your plans. It takes some time to rebuild the squad, but for starters focus on positioning, i.e. your defence and DMC. Also, I'd need to have a look at your tactic to see if there's maybe a mistake or two. I found that a simple detail can make or break a tactic. Upload your tactic or even save game and I'll have a look if you wish.

vCash
    In my experience determination for strikers isn't that important. IMO off the ball seems far more important as the player can score a shitload of goals without having a decent number for jumping. Although, some players do become super-hybrids and work in the most mysterious ways. For the lower leagues I've found that jumping is a great att for strikers, you don't even need 18-20 for jumping in the lower leagues, 15 is still a lot there... I'm starting to believe that for the lower leagues, certain high atts just determine whether or not he's going to score a lot. From experience I've learned that these atts can be the only att with a high number for a player and still result in a lot of goals:
    - Determination
    - Off the ball
    - Jumping
    - Strength

Interesting examples:

Spoiler!

vCash
    Amongst the 10 top goalscorers in Irish first div (that's where the screenies are from) the highest determination is 14. Average amongst them is 11,6. Average for jumping is 15,6.

Not much if you control the team yourself, but number of goals is pretty standard if the team is controlled by AI.

Another example:

Spoiler!

vCash
    If I could still open the savegame, I would dig out my Scottish Division 1 title-winning Airdrie side. 90% of the top scoring forwards list fell into two broad categories; physical beasts and pacy guys with good movement. The first one would have overwhelming strength, stamina, pace, jumping and, maybe, heading. The latter would have pace and off the ball. Given the latter is cheaper and easier to find than the former, I've always concentrated on getting guys with 14+ in pace and off the ball. Finishing is optional.

vCash
    Churky, can you take a look at FodFod2 CF, what kind of strikers would u have (as Faz suggested above) in each of the two striker roles?

vCash
    It's the same for any tactic; determination, off the ball, jumping, pace. It depends on the level you're at, but it's often enough to have just determination and one of the others. Combinations like jumping+heading or pace+acceleration can be a killer, too.

This is one area where people tend to overcomplicate things in CM0102. People are on about "strong target men" or "fast strikers fed by through balls" that "suit their tactic", but in reality it doesn't make a difference. The match engine is not advanced enough for that, especially when you employ a beast of a tactic. A striker with high required attributes will do fine in any style of play.

To be honest, I find it amusing when people elaborate heavily on CM0102 match engine. It's pretty straight-forward, there's no mystery about it. People just like to imagine its complexity for their own sense of fun and achievement.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Patinoz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Started up a Scottish Div 1 game on my netbook (so it has taken ages) but Liam Keogh's my current top scorer and he leads the division in mid-February with 27 goals. My aforementioned skillsets are physical beast (Heading [optional], Jumping, Pace, Stamina, Strength) and the pacy mover (Finishing [optional], Off the Ball, Pace)

Liam Keogh's a physical beast, though his Finishing and Off the Ball are decent for this level.

In the top 10, we also have Eddie Annand (3rd):

James Grady, who lacks strength but ticks the other boxes (8th):

And Keogh's partner Martin Bavidge (10th):

I need to scout some of the others but is seems it splits 4 beasts, 2 movers, 2 guys who do a bit of both and two out-and-out Imre Varadi-esque pace merchants.

vCash
    As if to prove churky's point:

Mendes is freakishly fast but fairly average elsewhere. He's second top scorer in the division.

vCash
    How do you know that the match engine is very simplistic? I always think that whatever i do in the game has an impact.

syahrosh Unattached
    Simple as always, math cant go wrong, whatever cmscout says, that's the truth. If a 70% rated striker cant do nothing in segunda division when u put him as striker, then ur tactics surely svcks. I dont wanna use cmscout blah blah blah, rilax maan....get ur scout with judge player ability 14++ and hear what he say about your target, if he say exellent signing, just buy the player, after u buy, ask ur physio, if ur physio say i rare to injury, use him, if ur physio say will always injury, just sell again the player. If u can make world class team ( add new team, ask friendly with ur main team, then scout ur main team with next oppotition..hear what ur new team scout say ) then in 2016, u will win everything..( in 2016, i am sure 99%, no world class team left in this world but ur team, but mediocre team got stronger so u cant bully many team again except u play in mediocre league ).........simple or complicated..it is ur choice as a gamer, charge, mortal strike, whirlwind, execute always a simple task with macro ^^V

Matt98 Unattached
    thanks mate good tips.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foo_jam2002 View Post
    How do you know that the match engine is very simplistic? I always think that whatever i do in the game has an impact.
    I know by playing this game for 10 years and winning everything with crappiest teams, using just the tips above. People tend to overcomplicate their approach to this game all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post
    I know by playing this game for 10 years and winning everything with crappiest teams, using just the tips above. People tend to overcomplicate their approach to this game all the time.

Did you also win with non-wibwob tactics?

If yes, you could share a few
    Especially if you have a working one with 3 defenders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    Did you also win with non-wibwob tactics?

If yes, you could share a few
    Especially if you have a working one with 3 defenders.
    3 defenders is almost impossible in CM and you know it.
    I haven't used non wibwob tactics for years. On the other hand, my tactics are not heavily wibwobbed, just a few things here and there, as described above. That's the whole point, lots of success in a very simple way.

vCash
    Well, kinda
    But 2 strikers should be hard to get right as well, and I finished 6th with Blackburn (without signings) in the first season with a non wibwobbed 4-1-3-2

I haven't used non wibwob tactics for years. On the other hand, my tactics are not heavily wibwobbed, just a few things here and there, as described above. That's the whole point, lots of success in a very simple way.
    I like stock tactics, makes it a bit more challenging, but I understand that this is not your point in a 'how to win' guide.

I think if you have a team of good players (not world class, but as you described in the 'necessery attributes' section) it is hard to avoid success. For example in the Burley challenge I used stock 4-1-2-1-2 diamond and 4-1-3-1-1, and won: the premiership 1X, FA cup 2X and the UEFA cup 1X.
    The thing is, when you assembled the team and had a good season, sometimes the board thinks too much of them*.

*I had a good run with St.Pauli, finished 2nd when the board wanted 'avoid relegation'. Next years expectation - battle for the title - was impossible to achieve with Leverkusen, HSV and Schalke unloading the St.Pauli minivan of useful players...
    I was fired around November, when we were 7th in the league. Luckily there were a few openings so I could play on.

vCash
    Actually 343 is alright, the default one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shikaka View Post
    But 2 strikers should be hard to get right as well
    2 strikers in a 442 with no arrows and no wibwob is also pretty good

vCash
    But it takes some time to turn a crappy team to a good one. At least for me, winning titles with small clubs has it's challenges and it's not a walk in the park. Of course i never go on holiday, i play each game and i still want to complicate my approach to this game as i did back in the day

vCash
    Holidaying should be banned/disabled (if possible) in my humbe opinion...

vCash
    why

syahrosh Unattached
    Just stop holidaying if u wanna feel the real feelin. With holidaying, u can spend more of ur time with ur families and friends, that's IMO ^^V.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    why
    Why play a management game and not manage. Its like buying Fifa 12 and getting the computer to play for you AI v AI.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I think you are missing the point of the thread :slap:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast