Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That boy Trunky is a bit tasty...

vCash
    Interesting twist to see Kenneth moving to Sheffield too - wonder how it'll work out for him and Trunky!

vCash
    Things began to settle down a bit in my head after the last game. A big club in the English Division One had wanted me, me, a 19 year old left back, or so I thought, playing for an unfashionable team in Sweden. I said as much to Richard who agreed with me, I think. What he actually said was "I know, especially as you are a bit crap."

Still, I only had 2 more games with Malmo and I promised myself that I would play my best, give it my all, in both of them.

First up was away to Goteborg, a team higher up the table. The wobbly manager, Lord Bastard, sat us down in the away dressing room and went over the team and what he wanted. It was always difficult to concentrate at these pre match meetings as I was always keen to get out there. The boss also wobbled at alarming rates when he was making a point. It was especially hard today as he had rolled his sleeves up and his arms were dancing to a completely different tune to the rest of his huge body. I shut my eyes. I was playing in defensive midfield again with Kenneth behind me at centre half.

The game started well with Soog scoring in the 15th minute. Things went from good to great as Johansson scored in the 20th minute to make it 2-0. This was especially pleasing for me as I had provided the assist, my first. What a feeling. Richard wandered over to me and told me it was a "lucky pass". He's so funny. Skoog scored again in the 2nd half to make it 3-0 and the game petered out after this.

The boss was very happy with the score and even happier that we had kept a clean sheet. I had tried to shake Kenneth's hand at the end of the match but he had given me a funny look and walked off.

Our next game, which was to be my final match for Malmo, was away at Norrkoping. The boss had kept faith with the team that had beaten Goteborg so comprehensively and his confidence in us rubbed off as we quickly raced into a 2-0 lead. Johansson scored in the 8th minute with his 5th goal of the season and then shortly after Skoog was brought down in the area. He calmly picked the ball up and then handed it to me! I must have looked like a white moose caught in the headlights but he smiled, said it might be my last chance to score in my last game and walked off. I must have looked calm as I placed the ball and began my run up but inside I was shaking. I knew where it was going, bottom right. I gave the goalie the "eyes" and he dived the other way. I had scored!

My sudden elation was rudely interrupted as my team mates all jumped on me. Even Kenneth shook my hand and said "well done mate" in a warm voice.

The rest of the half was a blur if I'm honest but I was playing well, we all were. Lord Bastard told us to carry on the way we were playing and we would win. Unfortunately Norrkoping had other ideas and attacked us from the off and it was no surprise when they scored in the 55th minute. I was partly to blame as I had sprayed a ball to Majstorovic who could only head it to their forward, who scored. Things then went from bad to worse 4 minutes later when they scored again. 2-2. We rallied after this but the game once again ended in a draw.

In both of my last 2 games I had got an 8, which I was very happy with. We had also stayed unbeaten. Richard gave me a big hug and said he would miss me and Kenneth came over, shook my hand, and told me he was looking forward to going to England. "I'm looking forward to going to England", he said.

We had a small party that night. The boss stood up in the middle of it and raised a toast to us both, wishing us well. When he sat down I could have sworn that the empty glasses on the tables jumped.

I slept well that night, happy with the goodbyes. I would miss them all, Teddy and Richard especially, but I was very excited about going to such a famous city as Sheffield. I was looking forward to the canals and all the fantastic history such a vibrant city would offer. Especially after spending all my life in Malmo.

The big day arrived. My parents, Richard and Teddy had come to see me off. Kenneth had his folks as well, all teary eyed. It was quite emotional as we both made our way through to the departure lounge and sat down.

England, here we come!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Nice to end the time in Malmo with an assist and a goal. Great way to sign off

Looking forwards to seeing how trunky adapts to life in England!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A sweet and fitting end to Malmo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Nice to end the time in Malmo with an assist and a goal. Great way to sign off

Looking forwards to seeing how trunky adapts to life in England!
    Looking at their team, they play with 4 at the back and no DM. Their star player is a DM as well but plays in midfield. Trunky is not a star player!

Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    A sweet and fitting end to Malmo
    Yup. Was nice to score. Closure I think they call it.

vCash
    Be interesting to see what happens now. Nice touch to give trunky the penalty. No one thought to give it to Kenneth in HIS last game?!
    Discover more about members of the Champman0102 community, as they answer:
    Twenty Questions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    Be interesting to see what happens now. Nice touch to give trunky the penalty. No one thought to give it to Kenneth in HIS last game?!
    Nope...no idea why, it's as though Trunky is the better player...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good read that!

vCash
    I was introduced to my new team mates, and the press, on the following Monday morning. I was a little scared but Kenneth looked even worse. The manager, a short bald headed man called Steve Evans, seemed very friendly and he even gave me some money "upfront" as he called it for expenses. "Get yourself a suit for the press conference", he said before handing the same amount to Kenneth.

There were quite a few cameras and microphones all pointed at us, which was a little daunting at first, especially as the suit I had bought was a little baggy. The boss handled it all with fierce professionalism. "Yes", he nearly shouted at one journalist. "Erm...right, erm...Trunky, first of all welcome to England, erm...how do you feel about your big move?"

I had no idea how I felt about my big move if I was honest. Maybe a little scared, what with it being a new country and I had only played 8 professional games in my life. I decided to tell the truth.

"I'm a little scared what with it being a different country and the fact that I have only played a handful of games", I said.

The boss kicked me under the table and passed me a small sheet of paper. It was a statement. He nodded at me and then said to the gathered hacks "Trunky would like to read out a statement he has prepared."

"I am very happy to be here in England and to sign for such a great and historic club such as Sheffield Uni...oops sorry, I mean't Sheffield Wednesday. Signing for the team I supported as a boy means the world to me." I glanced at the boss who just nodded for me to carry on. "I am also extremely happy to be working under such a great and talented manager such as Steve Evans, who is known internationally as a fantastic coach."

The boss then stood up and said he had one more signing to introduce. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, Graeme Le Saux." The flashes from the cameras nearly blinded me as a taller than you would think blonde haired man walked into the room and sat down next to me. He grinned at the press before patting me on the back. "Hi Kid", he said and proceeded to talk to the waiting news men.

A day later we were called into the manager's office and told to "Sit". We sat. The manager then informed us that we could go back to Sweden for a holiday but must report for pre season training on the 15th of July, Monday morning, at 9am. So that's what we did. Me and Kenneth went home to watch the World Cup.

It was a good World Cup with a few shocks, like Brazil losing to South Korea...

...and Ireland beating Argentina.

The final was contested between Spain and Italy and was, as you would expect, a boring encounter won by an Urzaiz goal for Spain in the 65th minute.

Me and Kenneth dutifully reported to the training ground on the Monday only to be told to get ready as the club had a pre season tour in Turkey arranged. I had never been to a hot country before and the heat was unbearable when we arrived on the Thursday afternoon. After a quick trip to the hotel the boss sat us all down and went through his plans for the team. I was picked! In centre midfield. It wasn't that good a début if I am honest, we lost to Gaziantepspor 3-1 after taking the lead, and I was very tired afterwards, mainly I think due to the heat.

I was dropped for the second friendly which we won 1-0 with Graeme getting the man of the match but was picked again for the last game. I was average again in this game, once again being rated as a 7 but felt I had contributed more as I had adjusted to the heat.

We then flew back and had another friendly against Northampton Town. I had felt a lot fitter after the games in Turkey and found myself picked again but this time at centre half. The boss told me to go out and enjoy it as these games were designed to increase our fitness and to get the team working together. It took me a while to realise what he was saying. "Team"? Me? I thought that I would be in the reserves with Kenneth, trying to prove myself.

So enjoy it I did, providing the assist for the only goal of the game, a cross for Gerald Sibon, and getting the man of the match for my efforts. I was elated. Even Graeme congratulated me.

Just 3 days later we played Manchester City in another friendly and I once again enjoyed this game immensely. I was picked again at centre half, a role I was enjoying, and once again provided an assist from another cross and I even scored a goal. In the wrong net. I had stuck my foot out to stop a shot and it hit my shin and rolled agonisingly past our keeper and into the net. We were 2-0 up at the time but I was mortified. My team mates just laughed. Even Kenneth ran over and grinned at me.

Our last pre season game was against Cardiff which we used as a tune up. The boss had told us to "take it easy or there will be trouble" so we did as instructed. Well, most of us did, as Steven Haslam, our captain, got himself sent off for two bookable offences. I had glanced at the sidelines when the second yellow was produced and the boss appeared ready to explode.

Still, the friendlies were over. I had felt fitter than I had ever felt, I had played a few games, and done well. So well in fact that the manager took me to one side and gave me some cash in an envelope and told me it was "for playing well in pre season" before warning me to "not tell anyone else though" in a slightly menacing voice.

As I sat in the lounge of the house I shared with Kenneth I wondered if we would get to play in the first game of the season, away to Millwall...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sheffield Unite.. Oops!

Great start to life during pre-season and looks as though trunky is destined to play at the centre-back, impressing despite the own goal. Didn't expect him to settle there so quickly given it isn't a position that was used at Malmo.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sheffield Unite.. Oops!

Great start to life during pre-season and looks as though trunky is destined to play at the centre-back, impressing despite the own goal. Didn't expect him to settle there so quickly given it isn't a position that was used at Malmo.
    It was a bit of a shock to check the positions and see him there...left back has been claimed by Le Saux, there's no DM position so I expect centre back is the next best thing!

vCash
    Looking at Trunky's atts I wouldn't have him at centre back - he's terrible in the air! Seems to be playing well though so what do I know?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Looking at Trunky's atts I wouldn't have him at centre back - he's terrible in the air! Seems to be playing well though so what do I know?
    You are right! I was...erm...I mean he was, shit in the air. Think of him as a Sweeper...in his head he was ace at that position!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    Indeed, the aerial prowess ideal for a top center-back doesn't look to be there, but a good man-marker at least. Would think better suited as a hard-tackling midfielder... but guess we'll see as the season progresses where Trunky can make the best impression.

I love ODB games and seeing how the trajectories of different players and teams diverges from what happened in reality, makes for some interesting happenings I reckon. Will be interested to see what happens in Trunky's footballing world and what players he ends up playing alongside.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Malovaan For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Malovaan View Post
    Indeed, the aerial prowess ideal for a top center-back doesn't look to be there, but a good man-marker at least. Would think better suited as a hard-tackling midfielder... but guess we'll see as the season progresses where Trunky can make the best impression.

I love ODB games and seeing how the trajectories of different players and teams diverges from what happened in reality, makes for some interesting happenings I reckon. Will be interested to see what happens in Trunky's footballing world and what players he ends up playing alongside.
    Indeed. The idea is to bring in some real life events...like the slightly dodgy manager (He was found guilty of making extra of the field payments, plus tax evasion, when he was Boston manager)...and real life players such as Le Saux being taller than they looked!

vCash
    Comfortable start to life in Sheffield and good performances on the pitch

Found a place to live up there yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Comfortable start to life in Sheffield and good performances on the pitch

Found a place to live up there yet?
    Club got me and Kenneth a house, did you not read?

vCash
    Great stuff!

Shefki Kuqi!!! :swandivesmiley:
    Twenty Questions!

vCash
    There was a week before the big match, Millwall away, and we spent it getting to know our surroundings. Sheffield appears to be a bit of a let down. It was billed as "Venice-like" and yet all I could find was a small river and a water feature outside the train station.

There are though, lots of trees and according to the nice lady in the visitors centre, Sheffield is the greenest City in Europe. Judging by her bored expression and the fact that we were the only people in there this might have been another fact that had been made up.

We took a tram to the big shopping centre outside the City and were immediately surrounded by lots of Wednesday fans asking for autographs. This was a first for the both of us although no-one knew who Kenneth was which got him a bit annoyed. He cheered himself up by signing as me and adding rude messages.

After a few training sessions during the week, which I enjoyed thoroughly, I joined the first team on the coach for the trip to London. Kenneth wasn't picked and stayed behind to play for the reserves instead. He wasn't very happy about this and threw his boots into the garden in protest.

I had never been to London before and judging by the area around Millwall's ground I never want to again. It was very cold, supposedly in the middle of summer, and there were a lot of tattooed men standing around making obscene gestures at our coach as we entered the stadium.

In the dressing room Willie Donachie, the assistant manager, gave a brief talk about what he and the Manager wanted out of us. Apparently he is Scottish, so it was no wonder I barely understood what he said to us. Luckily, Graeme Le Saux, was able to understand what he was saying and translated it for me.

The boss then entered the room and looked around before telling us the team. I was on the bench. Olaf Bjarnason had been picked in front of me even though he had only played 2 of the pre season games. I was very disappointed but cheered up when Steve Evans said I would probably get on at some point.

The game itself started very well for us as Le Saux and Geary, our other full back, put in a succession of crosses, but to no avail, as header after header didn't find the target. The game continued like this until just before half time when Paul Ifill ran at our defence before unleashing a shot that nestled in the bottom corner. I took no satisfaction from the fact that Olaf had let Ifill run past him. None. At all.

After a rather loud half time team talk by the boss, the players continued in the same vein, peppering the Millwall box with crosses. At around the 70th minute I got the nod from Willie to get warmed up and soon came on the replace Alan Quinn on the left wing. The excitement of making my league début was tempered with the fact that I had no idea how to play as a winger. This was probably reflected in the end of game stats where I made just 3 passes in the 10 minutes that I was on.

I had no hand in our equaliser, scored by Donnelly, but I celebrated like a madman with the rest of the team. It was no more than we deserved. A short while later the referee blew the whistle for the end of the game and we wandered over to applaud the fans in the away end. There were quite a few of them and Graeme told me that Wednesday were one of the better supported teams in the league. I smiled and waved at them before heading for the tunnel.

Still, I had played my first game and registered a 7. Not bad for 3 passes!

After a long coach journey home, and a short taxi ride, I finally arrived at the house I shared with Kenneth. He greeted me with his customary warm welcome, told me he had got an 8 for his reserve performance, and then asked me if I fancied a night out. I declined. I was very tired and needed a rest. Kenneth gave me a harsh look and went out on his own. I sat back in the chair I had collapsed in and switched on the television meaning to watch our match on the highlight show but I fell asleep before it started and dreamt of scoring goals, tackling players and wondering if I was going to be picked for our next match, at home, against Crystal Palace.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Not a lot to do there on the left wing then but at least that's some game time and he didn't do anything wrong.
    The Alphabet Game #3

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Decent debut, considering.
    Twenty Questions!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    Decent debut, considering.
    3 passes? I'd call that lazy!!

vCash
    Didn't put a foot wrong. 100% completion rate.

Should have gone out on the razz!!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Didn't put a foot wrong. 100% completion rate.

Should have gone out on the razz!!
    Sensible professional, first month at a new club, wants permanent first team position, flexible, seeks similar.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Classic, brought on as a left-winger! Still, a game is a game, and always good to get out on the pitch, hopefully can build on that with some good performances in a more sensible position in the coming games!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Malovaan For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast