Thread: In-Game tips & tricks

vCash

In-Game tips & tricks

Does anyone have any favourite in-game moves they like to make to try and change the course of a match?

I sometimes play with 3 strikers, direct passing but none of my front 3 have forward runs on. Especially if playing away to a bigger side. If things aren't working I like to switch forward runs on, around the 60 min mark, maybe with a fresh pair of legs on upfront and this can work wonders sometimes.

If the central striker out of the 3 is a big man then I keep him with forward runs off, to be a focal point.

I also like to change my full backs later in the game for more attack minded players, arrows pushed right up.

And also if the opposition has a player with high passing stats after half time I will look to bring on a defensive minded midfielder on that side of the pitch with hatd tackling, no forward runs to try and neutralize their player.

All these have paid off before. Not always but quite often.

So, anyone got any of their own that they've had some joy with?

vCash
    I tend to trust my tactic, even if my team concedes an early goal or two, I don't touch it midway through a game. In my experience that does more harm than good. I rather prefer to influence the game via substitutions. If one player of the opposition is dominating, I might switch to man-mark him though. I also might have some alternate tactic-variations ready to switch to if things are really going south (especially a solid go-to 10-man-formation can be valuable when having a player sent off).

If I really really really need a goal badly I might also give my SC the man-mark the goalie instruction. Sometimes he gets up above the goalkeeper to score a cheap one, but more often than not it only leads to a bunch of disallowed goals and offsides.

Switching from short to mixed passing when having trouble to create chances sometimes does the trick too.

vCash

vCash
    How can you tell if a striker is a big man?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodster View Post
    High Heading and Jumping

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nurishi For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurishi View Post
    High Heading and Jumping
    That doesnt mean someone is tall! Some of the best headers in world football are 5ft 9 / 5ft 10

Look at Crouch, hes 8ft tall, cant jump and cant head the ball!

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    High physical attributes like strength and jumping. "Height" doesn't exist in CM0102 so the best indicator is going to be jumping.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesus For This Useful Post:

vCash
    That doesnt mean someone is tall! Some of the best headers in world football are 5ft 9 / 5ft 10

Look at Crouch, hes 8ft tall, cant jump and cant head the ball!
    I assume you mean a different Crouch to Peter Crouch: Premier League headed goals record holder?
    Discover more about members of the Champman0102 community, as they answer:
    Twenty Questions!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMem For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Crouchy can indeed head the ball, he just can't jump but then again, he doesn't need to.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMem View Post
    I assume you mean a different Crouch to Peter Crouch: Premier League headed goals record holder?
    He should be scoring 3 a game with his bonce. Like Mark said if he could jump too he would. He's awful in the air for someone of his height.

vCash
    If you dominate but can't score, try changing your passing instructions to a tad more direct. (If you use short, go mixed. If you use mixed, go direct).

Don't bother playing long ball.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JLa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Yeah, Heading, Jumping, Strength indicate a 'big man' striker to me. I know there's no height in the game but thats how I imagine it anyway.

vCash
    Something else I've noticed when playing attacking 433 in my current save. I have 3 excellent strikers, all similar. Good finishing, heading, off the ball etc. But if I play all 3 together they don't really produce. But if I play with just one in the middle and a winger and forward/AM wither side then there's a big improvement. Has anyone else noticed this?

E.G.

AMRL/FW----ST-----FWRLC

Works better even though the wide players are inferior to the 3 strikers.

Another one, which might just be my imagination but when playing 4 at the back, more clean sheets seem to accour when I play one out and out full back rather than two. So LB--CB-CB-RCB or LCB-CB-CB-RB

And if this is well know, what other combinations are out there?
    Last edited by rookieboy99; 28-09-16 at 10:05 AM.

vCash
    I monitor the tab all game during a match with the player conditions and if I notice a % significantly lower than my other players I can click him and see if he has a potential injury. I then sub the player so he does not get injured.

I literally never have an injury in matches because of this and only receive injuries in training. Or if I'm being lazy and playing on very fast and not watching

vCash
    I do the same auser, tend to take off players when they go below 80% and you'll see a few get a potential injury this way.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    I also hook players when they drop below 80%, and if winning comfortably will switch to normal mentality, normal tackling and pressing off to try and save some legs/needless yellow cards.

vCash
    Changing my 433 to a 253, subbing the full backs for wingers and subbing a striker for another striker normally gets me the goals i need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vCash
    Will try this out thanks.

Another observation,
    Average age of your starting XI and its influence on games (especially big games like cup finals) if you can have a side thats 25-28 years average age that seems to be optimal. Which is to be expected but as a manager who likes to play a lot of youngsters this has sometimes been a problem. Finding the balance between giving the kids some experience and winning trophies.

Also noticed the computer managed sides that win the league are usually around 27-29 average age.

vCash
    Here's something I noticed in my games in regards to preferred foot. For my 2 DCs, it's better to have the right footed player on the right and the left footed one on the left. The opposite is true for my 2 AMs, the left footed on the right and the right footed on the left.

vCash
    Here are my tricks of the game. When the result is tight in the last part of the game i use the next tricks.
    (the in game tactics really count, especialy if you never reload the game after losing )

1. Fresh pair of legs up front
    2. Substitute players with lowest match rating or i wib-wob or change their position of run a bit.
    3. Short forward runs on full-backs
    4. I check the tactics of the opponent and react properly
    5. I check for weak defenders in the opponent lines, and put my best forwards near them, if with one striker i wib-wob him a little to the side of the bad defender
    6. Do the opposite in the midfield

I must say it works more often than not.

About that little wib-wob.
    I play standard tactics, never downloaded ones, but i do a little wib-wob, because the computer is using such tactics also.
    I noticed a little customization actualy works a bit better than the normal tactics. I usualy just make player positions look nicer in the wib-wob screen, like the distances between players more equal etc.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to xlxs For This Useful Post:

vCash
    When the opposition is looking dangerous and having quite a bit of possession, in-game management does reap the rewards if you can get it right - and it's not that difficult to administer. It's especially handy with teams who are equal or better to yours on paper.

I used to implement changes to a degree during a game but now I do it religiously. One recent example was when I was managing Porto. Winning the domestic league with Porto is obviously an easy task but the Champions League with players of that same level? No! The first two seasons I was knocked out of the quarter-finals and for the third season's foray into Europe had me predicting a fairly early exit due to only signing one major player during the summer. In fact, I won the Champions League which included thumping Real Madrid 5-0 in the away leg in the semi-final and this was without my star player who was injured at the time.

This was the season where I started to really take in-game management seriously.

Simply put, all you need to is to make a change when opposition possession is becoming too frequent or you're struggling to score - and you don't necessarily have to used subs. Obviously, it doesn't always work and when it doesn't all you need to do is make another change soon after. In essence, you have infinite "subs" by doing this.

I can apply these changes at any time during a game apart from the first ten minutes usually. My default mentality is attacking and I like the majority of my starting XI to be have decent morale and be in decent form along with pretty much full fitness.

I like most of the attacking part of my squad who play from the halfway line forwards to be competent in at least two positions because this is a big part of what I do during games. I change players positions. It may include swapping wingers over, the two central midfielders, the AMRC in the centre with the AMRC on the wing, or even my lone striker into the hole behind. With the last example, the player who starts off in the hole should be an AM/FC or an FC for this particular swap to work. On occasions I even swap an SC into the hole.

It's about getting to know your players. For the first couple of seasons in the Porto game, I was experimenting more than anything and bear in mind the players weren't real so I wasn't familiar with them. No Deco and Aleinikov in this squad.

The defensive players should be left alone unless they're rating is 5 or below, they get injured or are tiring rapidly and you need them for another game in three days time. I find that defensive changes tend to lead to a goal for the opposition so I've counteracted this with a cunning plan that seems to be working at the moment. If a change is needed and your teams mentality is attacking, change it to defensive with counter attacking at the same time as the sub/swap.

The defensive and counter attacking option is one I use as regularly as swapping players positions and it does work very well to regain the lion's share of possession - and you don't need to make a defensive change for it to make an effect. Of course, you can change back to attacking mentality later on and on occasions the team go into real turbo mode when this happens.

Lastly, do not make any swaps/subs or mentality changes if at all possible when the opposition has a free-kick or corner. Wait till they pass. A goal for them is usually imminent.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dubinho For This Useful Post: