View Poll Results: What does Kingsley do next ?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carry on until I get sacked

2 20.00%
  • Move to another club (Germany/Holland/Italy)

6 60.00%
  • Do a different story

2 20.00%
  • Something else (please add a comment)

0 0%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] Life's A Lottery

vCash
    Reliant very much of the kindness of others with the number of loans

No doubt you'll be 'King' of signing some gems

vCash
    Great update, looking forward to finding out what the lottery player restrictions have in store for you

vCash
    Life’s A Lottery

Stefano: magnifico fantastico

He kissed me on both cheeks …. Bloody continentals. Clearly I had done something to make him happy.

It had been a very strange summer. Usually when taking over at a new club, the first few weeks are spent trying to plug the holes in the squad that I inherit, but not this time. Until the transfer window closes on the 2nd of September, I had no idea who I would be allowed to sign. All I could do was sit and watch as clubs around the globe, and across Italy sought to strengthen their squads. There wasn't even an international competition to watch

To be fair, Stefano did repeatedly remind me that I had 2.5m to spend if I wanted it and appeared perplexed that I always replied saying that I'd save it for a later day. I was concentrating on the current squad for the season's opener against the might of Inter Milan in 35 days time. 1st games don't get any tougher than this.

Not that I was idle. I had my head physio, Andreo Bolognesi, a 72 year old Italian who told a saucy joke, give me a full run down of the entire squad. I also had 2 further physios, aged 63 and 62, so I had a full team, provided they didn't keel over. There were no major surprises from the medical assesments. Brkic, Colombi, Gagliolo and Cofie were all more likely than average to pick up knocks, but no surprises and no ongoing treatments, other than Bubnjic, the loanee who was sent home.

I made a similar request from my assistant, Giandominico Costi, a 58 year old who had a good eye for talent, but at the training ground, I wasn't going to trust him with more than fetching the cones. I think he might be out at the first oportunity

His report did not contain anything of interest. If you believe him, we have a hard working group of model professionals. I doubted that and suspect I will find the truth the hard way. I did have 2 other coaches, Pantaleoni (69) and Perroni (62) were both good with keepers, but Zanasi (66) was pretty useless. I'd have to make do for now, but this is looking like a home for geriatrics. I gave them some simple training routines and assigned the players to the various routines.

With out knowing what I was looking for, I sent my scouts out to see what players they could find. Alex Tadsechi (74) was sent to South America. Andea Rinaldi (53) to Africa, Daniel Ferrario (72) to Asia and Gianluca Spaziani (72) to Central Europe. I might strike lucky. This is after all a lottery.

That left plenty of time to plot a strategy to beat Inter. Player for player, we didn't stand a chance with their collection of seasoned internationals. It was certain that they would be coming at us, and dominating the possession, so our best hope was to hit them on the break. We also had de Guzman on the setpieces, so we worked on a few free-kick routines. It wasn't much and according to the experts, our chances were somewhere between Bob Hope and no hope. I put them slightly lower than that.

Time flies fast. It seamed no longer than a few clicks on a laptop, but the big day had arrived. Inter brought a good support and there were just over 19,000 in the ground, starved of football and ready for the gladiators to enter the arena. Team sheets were swapped and it was clear from the attacking 4-3-3 formation that Inter were not ready to take prisoners. This could be a baptism of fire.

To counter the threat, I looked at our strength, which was the defence. A glowing report from Costi on the eve of the match reulted in a change of plan up front where Mbakogu got the nod ahead of Lasagne

Inter kicked off on a bright summers day. Immediately they set up camp inside our half, however they had clearly been watching too much of Barcelona as the ticky-tacky football may have dominated the possession, but failed to test Brkic. 10 minute in and Martinho intercepted an underhit pass from Eder. Verdi picked up the loose ball just outside our area and spotted Mbakogu starting his run. A long ball over the top and Mbakogu was clear, except for Miranda's hand holding onto his shirt. It was 25 yards out, exactly what we had practised. It didn't stop de Guzman placing the ball 5 yards closer to the goal. Kondogbia moved it back and it took the intervention of S. Rizzoli and his can of shaving foam to get the freekick taken from where he wanted it.

Meanwhile, Mbakogu was standing right in front of Handanovic trying to block his view of the wall he was trying to line up. Verdi and Di Gaudio were lining up in the wall trying to disrupt the preparations. There was the usual shoving an pulling of shirts from both sides, with S. Rizzoli keen to use his whistle to sort out the mele. Eventually he was ready. Lasagne retreated to an onside position and De Guzman started his run up.

Everyone was expecting someone in row Z of the stand to catch it, so the first reaction was a stunned silence. Then all hell broke loose as the home fans realised that the back of the net really was bulging. Carpi 1 Inter Milan 0 ….. I say it again ….. Carpi 1 Inter Milan 0 …... Sensational.

Now there was just the small problem of defending that lead for the 80 minutes that remained. That wasn't a problem for the next 15 as Inter were in shock. De Guzman with another freekick, Sabelli and Cofie all came closer to doubling the lead than anything that Inter could offer in reply. As the half wore on, Inter got themselves back into it and after half an hour it took a last gasp tackle from Zaccardi to deny Perisic a sight of goal. The ball broke for Santon who's cross was met by Perisic and Brkic got a vital fingertip to divert the ball over the bar. They had their tails up and dominated the rest of the half. Brkic saved again from Perisic and Eder should have done better than firing wide when put through by Jovetic. Right on halftime, Santon had to limp off, with D'Ambrosio replacing him at right back. We had survived the first 45 minutes.

The second half was much like the closing stages of the first. Wave after wave of Inter attacks, last gasp tackles by Carpi defenders and great saves from Brkic. I think that the only shot we had was from Pasciuti, on as a sub for Sabelli, but that was weak and direct at Handanovic. Roberto Mancini made his changes in an attemt to find that elusive goal as tempers flaired. Inter were getting desparate and Fellipe Mello picked up the games first card for a rash challenge on Mbakogu.

Then the game changer. Daprela launched a long ball for Mbakogu to chase. Miranda haulded him back and, having had a warning for the one that led to De Guzman's goal, was this time shown a straight red card.

That was the last that Inter could offer. A couple of substitutions to use up some time and we had held on for a famous win.

It was this that had promoted Steffano's cheek kissing routine

Stefano: magnifico fantastico
    Kingsley: Calm down mate. It's just the first game
    Stefano: But we have beaten the mighty Inter. We knocked I Nerazzuri black and blue
    Kingsley: I'm happy, but there's no point in beating Inter if we can't beat Sassuolo, Empoli or the Verona clubs. Those are the games we have to win. I'd swap the win today for one against Palermo next week.
    Stefano: And you did it all without spending a euro. Sbalordivito.
    Kingsley: Don't put that checkbook away yet. I have a hunch I'll be needing it soon.

I had been expecting the e-mail baring bad news, but when it came, it was not the bad news I expected.

Normally I would have hugged and kissed Napoli's manager in a continental way to get 60k for a 74 year old scout, but I had no idea if I'd be able to replace him. Instead I offered him a new deal and crossd my fingers.

Then came the email I was dreading

Why was I dreading it ? Because of the phone call that I knew would follow. Delilah was once again to be heard in the background. I was starting to think that this Mark character had the songs playing on a loop

Mark: Good result yesterday
    Kingsley: as I've been saying, there's a long way to go and I do need some recruits.
    Mark: Well, first of all, we are going to draw a tactic and you have got ….. Number 5.
    Kingsley: And that is ?
    Mark: 3-4-3
    Kingsley: Bugger … I've never played anything like that.
    Mark: Remember that you don't need to use this until the next transfer window opens.
    Kingsley: Don't keep me waiting …. give me the country.
    Mark: In that case, you have number 195 and that is ….

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Kingsley; 09-05-16 at 08:07 AM.
    The artist formally known as The Eejit

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great win over Inter - maybe you have some quality players in there who can give you a chance, even if you do have to play 3-4-3 with them

No question that's a bit of a tricky formation to have to work with, but hopefully you can make it work for you. Looking forward to finding out who team 195 are

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malovaan For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great start to the season!

3-4-3 isn't too bad. At least you get to play a defensive midfielder...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fourfourtwo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Lovely initial tactic to suit the squad and what a fantastic win!

Ugh..............not sure of this new tactic tho - looks like it could open you up a bit!

Good expereince in the back room but maybe better of freshening it up if you can attract any better - think you did right thing offering the oldie new contract - did he accept?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Malovaan View Post
    Great win over Inter - maybe you have some quality players in there who can give you a chance, even if you do have to play 3-4-3 with them

No question that's a bit of a tricky formation to have to work with, but hopefully you can make it work for you. Looking forward to finding out who team 195 are
    There are certainly some quality players (De Guzman, Verdi, Zaccardi) just too many who are not. When I saw 3-4-3 come out I thought "OK" then I looked and spotted those back arrows and the left and right defender pulled wide. Looks very exposed to counter attack down the middle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourfourtwo View Post
    Great start to the season!

3-4-3 isn't too bad. At least you get to play a defensive midfielder...
    Lets hope that country 195 has a defensive midfielder I can buy ! Doesn't look to be a role for my fullbacks though
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Lovely initial tactic to suit the squad and what a fantastic win!

Ugh..............not sure of this new tactic tho - looks like it could open you up a bit!

Good experience in the back room but maybe better of freshening it up if you can attract any better - think you did right thing offering the oldie new contract - did he accept?
    Have to say that 3 or 5 at the back is not my preference, but it does fit this squad. It is only yesterday (game time) that I offered the contract to Tadeschi. I have my fingers crossed, but I'm not hopeful. Quite rare that they turn down the move.

vCash
    How did Lasagne stand in front of someone if he was on the bench? Ha!

Great read mate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trunky View Post
    How did Lasagne stand in front of someone if he was on the bench? Ha!

Great read mate.
    That was the genius of the set-piece move.

I'll edit that to Mbakogu. I forgot I made a late change to the starting 11

vCash
    Lol...sorry mate!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to trunky For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great win to start with, but the real fun begins when you're playing with the random tactic and players!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Life’s A Lottery

Mark: ..... Ukraine
    Kingsley: Allegro ! Get me the phone number for Andriy Shevchenko
    Allegro: Do it yourself.
    Last edited by Kingsley; 18-05-16 at 09:16 PM.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Not too shabby!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    That's a very good draw. Plenty of 2nd string at Shakthar and Dynamo ripe for the picking

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

vCash
    you'll take that!

Get Voronin and his ponytail back!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Not too shabby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    That's a very good draw. Plenty of 2nd string at Shakthar and Dynamo ripe for the picking
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    you'll take that!

Get Voronin and his ponytail back!
    It could have been worse. I've not yet looked at who is available, but I only have 2.3m to play with, and a lot of players to replace. I could well be looking at the bargain bin of Ukranian players which might not be that great. Don't see much chance of replacing the aging coaches/scouts either !

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    Do you have to have a complete squad of Ukrainians, or is it just that you can only sign them (but you can keep any players already in the squad)? Are you allowed to move jobs?

vCash
    Finally got round to reading this, been meaning to since I saw that you were back! Great to see you back, btw!

A very interesting plot for this story. That Mark character really does like a challenge, doesn't he?

Great first win over Inter. Let's hope 3-4-3 will suit you though when the time comes. Here's hoping there's plenty of Ukrainians available. Will they get a work permit though?

PS, most of your pictures aren't showing up for me?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Do you need to keep the arrows?

Good luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Do you have to have a complete squad of Ukrainians, or is it just that you can only sign them (but you can keep any players already in the squad)? Are you allowed to move jobs?
    No. I think it would be imposible to create an entirely new squad every 6 months, especially on Carpi's budget. I can keep the players I have, but can only add to the current squad with Ukranians. I'll stay at Carpi until I get the sack. Who knows what after that

Quote Originally Posted by merkezekrem View Post
    Do you need to keep the arrows?

Good luck
    Yes. It must look identical, but can be wib-wobbed

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    What about after 6 months, do you need to keep the players signed on the lottery or just get rid as you see fit

vCash
    I, like Mark, am missing a fair few of the screenies from the last big update.

Won't need to worry about work Permits though Mark. Hence part of the reason of being in Italy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Finally got round to reading this, been meaning to since I saw that you were back! Great to see you back, btw!

A very interesting plot for this story. That Mark character really does like a challenge, doesn't he?

Great first win over Inter. Let's hope 3-4-3 will suit you though when the time comes. Here's hoping there's plenty of Ukrainians available. Will they get a work permit though?

PS, most of your pictures aren't showing up for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    I, like Mark, am missing a fair few of the screenies from the last big update.

Won't need to worry about work Permits though Mark. Hence part of the reason of being in Italy.
    I'm not sure what is up with the screenshots. They are all showing for me, but I had terrible problems with an update for my Kid's challenge where they showed as blank until I reloaded them. I guess it is the game shots (from photobucket) that are not displaying, the pictures from google are fine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    What about after 6 months, do you need to keep the players signed on the lottery or just get rid as you see fit
    Just to be clear, it is only a signing restriction. Once they are in the squad, they can stay as long (or as short) as I like. I can renew and extend contracts of anyone that is in the squad.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kingsley For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ukraine - could definitely be worse. You must have a couple of hundred players to choose from at least?

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Fourfourtwo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Potentially 424, not too shabby at all

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast