View Poll Results: How should Brits vote in the referendum on 23rd June?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay in the union

14 40.00%
  • Leave the union

16 45.71%
  • Don't know

2 5.71%
  • Don't care

3 8.57%
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Politics

316'sRegen Unattached

UK Politics

Hi guys,

With the British referendum on membership of the EU approaching let's have a little poll to see how the champman universe feels about the subject.

Everyone welcome, even though on 23rd June it will only be UK citizens voting I know we host a variety of nations here on the site and other nationals opinions will be just as interesting
    (maybe they will also have votes soon on the same subject)

Post a comment with the reason(s) for your choice.

Cheers

vCash
    Need to stay in it but as we are now - and keep the .

If we leave our trading terms will be fucked

316'sRegen Unattached
    like Denmark?
    Who do more trade deals than anyone

I'm a Leave.EU supporter!

The trade deals need 20 odd countries to agree on the same terms, a big ask. It takes years to negotiate deals that we on our own could do in days/weeks.

vCash
    Back to having EU, Non-EU and Irish terminals at UK airports, fuck that.

All machiavellian reasons from me in hoping the UK stays.

316'sRegen Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Back to having EU, Non-EU and Irish terminals at UK airports, fuck that.

All machiavellian reasons from me in hoping the UK stays.
    Just off the phone with a guy who installs those roller shutter doors, he was saying more or less the same thing.
    Our wee country here would be the only UK land border to the EU (IRE) right enough.

I hope that you guys sort out your own referendum to also leave and then we can work out our own "border" arrangements
    (border is in speech marks because I challenge anyone to find the border between north and south)

vCash
    Please stay in, we Need your Money here

vCash
    I'm an in.

If we left, I reckon it would take a good decade to get everything sorted and for us to be standing alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 316'sRegen View Post
    (border is in speech marks because I challenge anyone to find the border between north and south)
    Should just turn Paddy's Day next year into a different type of holiday - every able body man, woman and child descend on the 'border' with a shovel and dig a moat around the 6 counties. Sort out the nationalists and unionists bullshit in a days work

316'sRegen Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    I'm an in.

If we left, I reckon it would take a good decade to get everything sorted and for us to be standing alone.
    What makes you think this mate?
    I reckon we would be meaner leaner and far more efficient without all the political red tape of Brussels, but I'm interested why you think it would take 10 yrs to organise our affairs?

316'sRegen Unattached
    My signature appeared!

Yes!

vCash
    What makes you think this mate?
    I reckon we would be meaner leaner and far more efficient without all the political red tape of Brussels, but I'm interested why you think it would take 10 yrs to organise our affairs?
    Re negotiations. Surely all the deals we have in place as EU members will need to be renegotiated. I'd imagine many would play hard ball knowing we would be 'out'. With the financial restraints we are under, that won't be easy and will take some time.
    10 years maybe an exaggeration but it won't be an overnight thing.

vCash
    I'd imagine the value of the pound would plummet for awhile too. Not a bad thing for us down here, do 2 or 3 years Xmas shopping for the price of one. The value of a currency isn't always a bad thing though once inflation can be kept in check

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    I don't see how you guys can be in, yet keep the pound.... never understood.. but I'm poorly educated on the whole EU thing....

It should be that either everyone is in together, or no one is..... having some in and some out defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it?... the "partial European Union" doesn't quite have the same ring to it

vCash
    Out. We signed up for a trade agreement and not to be part of an unaccountable gravy train which is pushing for more and more integration.

vCash
    I couldn't give a flying fuck

vCash
    Stay in. Working in an ESF funded project means that not being in the EU will screw loads of local jobs and training opportunities that are all ESF funded.

vCash
    There's also that Baz. Not long finished a Youth Project through Erasmus+ which was great for the young people involved.

316'sRegen Unattached
    We send 50K a day to the EU beaurocracy.

We'll save plenty of money by not being in.

Also on the trade side of things, we buy far more from the union than we sell to them, we have a trade deficit, so will be losing nothing by exiting.

Also, I was listening to some news yesterday about this topic and it's in the treaty that if a country leaves they must still be offered trade deals.
    There is a lot of scaremongering going on and I think we should just be strong and take the plunge.

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Ah but will the money you save be used to fund the kind of things that Baz and Ebz are talking aboot? That's the key.... if the money you save gets redirected to areas where being part of the EU helped, then fine... if not, then leaving may cause some serious problems

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

316'sRegen Unattached
    That is up to the people to demand I would say.
    Had a great chat with a buddy on PSN who is disabled and felt that leaving could mean his rights get diminished, I was actually a bit hurt that he thought that would be what a British government would even try and do, let alone that the British people wouldn't allow it to happen.

But the thing that is annoying me about the whole situation is that there are no actual facts being brought forward as arguments, it's all scare tactics and cult of personality stuff (a bit like the comical USA election)

Anyway here are some facts, I know it's clearly a pro leave website, but the facts are checkable
    http://www.betteroffout.net/the-case...out-withdrawl/

The most worrying thing is something info0 was talking about way back when I was last around, these TTIP, TPP etc secret corporate deals that also diminish a country's sovereignty. Basically I feel that if we stay in the EU, then TTIP will be enforced on us and our own government is basically ceremonial.

vCash
    TTIP will be a disaster for any country that's part of it other than the states

vCash
    I'm in, I don't think leaving is right thing to do going forward and giving the Tories full range to basically do what they want and EU law not being in the way anymore could be a disaster and one this country will never recover from. We should keep pushing for reforms in the EU when Cameron is eventually gone because I think he is the problem.

316'sRegen Unattached
    I know this is turning into me debating all the "stay" points but I can't help it.

Ste: the reason I'm for leaving is that it isn't up to the EU to make our laws!
    Cameron is certainly a dirtbag, agree 100% there but it's up to us in our own country to vote in a government that we see fit and hold them to account.

Tories aren't guaranteed anything and the sneaky way Cameron himself has behaved in pretending to negotiate for more concessions for UK while simultaneously preparing the remain campaign to try and frighten UK industry and citizens should be enough for any smart voter to kick the Tories asses out next time.

EU laws are certainly in the way, and we need to address that fact and stand up for ourselves.

Corbin would be just as scary for me personally to have as PM but that's a different topic

vCash
    it's up to us in our own country to vote in a government that we see fit and hold them to account.
    Isn't this the single greatest deception of democracy? You aren't voting in who you see fit, you are voting in who a certain party wants you to see fit

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dermotron For This Useful Post:

316'sRegen Unattached
    Yeah it does work like that I guess, even though we elect the MPs locally, when it comes to choosing leaders of the party it's still pretty much the lifetime power brokers in the smoky rooms that give the go ahead.

I do get the feeling that in the last decade or so public opinion has changed from apathy to anger in respect to this, the internet has informed people better than newspapers/TV ever did and people have came from a place of "well there's nothing we can do about it" to something more like "we didn't vote for this, you don't have our consent". I think the coalition govt. and Nick Clegg was one of the main factors in causing this.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast