Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home is where the Hearts is

vCash

Home is where the Hearts is

After growing frustrated with FM16, I made the decision to get back to CM 01/02. One of my favourite ever games was when I dominated Europe with Rangers - so I thought a good way of getting back to the game was in the SPL with Hearts.

Follow my story here.

First Impressions

It quickly became obvious that the first season would be one of building for the future.

With such fierce competition, both on and off the pitch, provided by Rangers and Celtic, the significance of having a transfer kitty to improve the squad heightens.

An uninspiring squad and a bank balance of -4m meant work to do.

Player-wise, there are a couple of hopefuls. Craig Gordon of course will hopefully be the number one for the long term.

The Season

There was very little activity in pre-season - with just Thomas Flogel moved on for 875k.

Our first game was an encouraging 0-0 draw against Celtic, here was the team:

I had decided to go with the old favourite 5-3-2 system, and it just so happened that it suited the squad available.

My focus was to get the club back in the black. With next to no transfer budget (70k) and a paltry 1.8k to offer per week wages, there was no real hope of adding anyone of sufficient quality to improve the squad.

Instead, it was a case of crack on with what we've got and see how we go.

As it happens, we got off to a solid start, and for a while, were right up there in the top two.

The initial honeymoon period soon came to an end.

A run of one win in eight enabled the chasing pack to catch, and of course as soon as you've lost a few games, Rangers and Celtic become untouchable.

For a time, it looked like third would be the most likely finish, but further poor results saw us sucked in to the mid-table battle.

In the end, we had to take 5th in to the split session, and then another poor run meant the season ended on a bit of a downer, as well as a disappointing cup exit to Aberdeen.

Eventually, we finished

6th P38 W16 D5 L17 F52 A63 PTS53

A disappointing end considering the positive first third of the season.

However, the main positive was that the club ended the season in the black after numerous player sales.

Transfers

Just one player was brought in all season - Spanish striker Butra on a free transfer in September.

Out the door over the campaign went Flogel (875k), Davidson (300k), Wales (1.2m), Boyack (950k), Mahe (350k) and Adam agreed a Bosman deal to go to Aberdeen.

That raked in 3.7m in total, and was enough to ensure the debt had been wiped out by the season's end.

Player Review

It was clear throughout the season that we needed strengthening in most areas. Andy Kirk and Mark de Vries both went through spells of scoring up front, though it was Kevin Twaddle who became the most prolific forward in the team, playing in the AMC role and bagging 12 goals. The late season addition of Harpal Singh, on loan from Leeds, also helped.

There are a clutch of decent young defenders at the club, nonemoreso than Andy Webster who got plenty of games under his belt. Of course, Gordon in goal did well and then there was Scott Severin in midfield, a player who I've known to be good in the past.

Phil Stamp was solid enough in midfield, but his ludicrous 10k weekly wage (which was more than double what any other player was earning) meant that was more expected than of any benefit.

Review

Despite the disappointing end, a pleasing season. I was happy to have been disciplined enough to fulfil my primary objective of clearing the debt, and that meant recruiting just one new player for the whole campaign.

With funds available for the summer, a busy period is ahead.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Once the debt is gone, hopefully, your managerial skills will be prominent to be influential as players.

Not bad results. OFC better to improve, but not a bad foundation

Guessing ODB or .68 (or whatevs) cuz I know some alright signings if needed, but mostly first season.

vCash
    Busy summer

So having restored the club to the black in season one, I was excited about the summer and a period of genuine recruitment.

I’d already began searching for players that I wanted. My first priority was to fill the two wing back positions, as I felt those were the ones where adding quality would have the biggest impact.

In came Jamie Victory (100k) and Mike Duff (250k) as my first cash signings on the save on June 2nd, before a young Brede Hangeland (200k) joined them from Viking.

The next area to strengthen was up front, and finding a 25 goal a season striker that neither Kirk or De Vries really convinced me they were capable of.

The main man was Marcus Rosenberg (500k), but I also ended up being tempted by Scottish youngster Martin Bavidge (450k).

I perhaps let my heart rule my head with the signing of Kennedy Bakircioglu (275k) on a min fee release for old time’s sake, before attention turned to signing a solid central midfielder.

Kenny Lunt was first choice, but I ended up with Michael Tonge (625k) after delaying twice. It was a bit of a punt to take him on, but we’ll see how we get on.

The exit of Gordon’s back-up goalkeeper Roddy McKenzie on a Bosman to Partick, saw me turn to the loan market for Thomas Myhre, to give competition in the pegs.

Experienced midfielder Lee Carsley came in on loan too, providing quality but also perhaps showing that I wasn’t 100% sure on the deal for 19-year-old Tonge.

With all that business done in pre-season, here’s how we lined up for the first game of the new campaign against Dundee:

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can you give us screenshots of the table every now and then, in addition to the games' results?

vCash
    Season 2: Consistently inconsistent

Having worked hard to clear the debt and put myself in a position to recruit players, I was looking forward to the second season.

The additions of Jamie Victory, Mike Duff and Brede Hangeland certainly strengthened the defensive options.

It was in midfield where I was still a little unsure, Michael Tonge coming in. I was sure that Marcus Rosenberg would be a key addition, and that was proved right.

Two wins from the first 10 games then was massively frustrating.

There was no real kick forward from the previous season. There were brief signs of promise, but far too much inconsistency.

Even the additions of Andreas Andersson and Teddy Lucic on Bosmans in November didn’t do much to inspire any activity, with only a late flurry from on loan AMC Harpal Singh contributing much to the goal tally.

The Cup defeat to first division Ayr perhaps summed things up.

In the end, I managed to make the top six split and then finished fifth, having blown a glorious opportunity to beat Livington and edge in to the top four.

The positives were Rosenberg, who did exactly what he was brought in to. 23 goals in 40 games meant he was crowned Scottish Young Player of the Year.

Recruitment

So in the summer of 2003, it was time to reflect. I moved on a bit of deadwood, and my focus was to strengthen the midfield.

Struggling for targets and interest, I ended up plumping for Michael Brown and James O’Connor (both 2.5m)

Seth Johnson joined from Leeds on loan, while Thomas Myhre came in on loan from Sunderland to provide cover for Craig Gordon.

Here’s hoping for a change of fortune in season 3...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    You seem to be bringing in a lot of quality, hope you can make a real title challenge next year

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 3: Start as you mean to go on

I put the disappointing second season down to the new players bedding in. I aimed to be a bit more careful with recruitment ahead of the third season, and only plug the gaps needed.

The signings of Brown, O’Connor and then Seth Johnson on loan strengthened the central midfield position. I kept an eye out for others, but I entered the season fairly content.

Here’s how we started against Motherwell in the season opener:

After starting with a 2-2 draw, we had a turgid first quarter of the season, winning just two of the first 10 games again.

That led to me making some reinforcements, Harpal Singh, who had previously been a success on loan, coming in on a permanent basis for 1m.

Orri Freyr Oskarsson also came in on a free in October.

Results picked up slightly, but there was still a great deal of inconsistency. A 5-0 win over Dundee Utd was sandwiched between 3-0 and 4-0 defeats to Hibs and Rangers.

Perhaps a reflection of the campaign was that my highlight was an abandoned match - the first I’d ever seen in my CM/FM days. It came against Raith Rovers in light snow, abandoned after 34 minutes at 0-0. I won the replayed game 3-2.

Further strengthening came in January, as Mirko Conte and Simone Perrotta came in to strengthen the defence and midfield options.

They came after Tonge, Butra, Fox and Lucic were all moved on as I tried to find the right formula.

A brief change in formation did little to solve the inconsistency woes.

Sadly the wins were few and far between. But given the season expectations were simply to survive relegation, I was doing OK.

Top six prior to the split was the aim, and we achieved that, eventually finishing 5th for the second successive season.

So here’s how we’ve gone so far…

Scottish Premier Division
    2001/02 - 6th - P38 W16 D5 L17 F52 A63 PTS53
    2002/03 - 5th - P38 W14 D9 L15 F65 A65 PTS51
    2003/04 - 5th - P38 W17 D3 L18 F61 A66 PTS54

Scottish Cup
    2001/02 - Fifth round
    2002/03 - Third round
    2003/04 - Third round

League Cup
    2001/02 - Third round
    2002/03 - Third round
    2003/04 - Third round

Not the progress I had really envisaged when I started the save.

However, on we go to see whether the signings I’ve made will come good...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Match abandoned! Have never seen that.
    Enjoying the story - keep it going :0)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fourfourtwo For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 4: On to the next level

By hook or by crook, our fifth place finish of last season as well as a variety of other events, meant we somehow managed to qualify for Europe, and more specifically the UEFA Cup.

This was a boost to morale for me, considering we had seemed to not be getting anywhere, and it also of course meant a little impact on the calibre of players we could bring in.

That said, the only three deals I did over the summer were long planned - Stithies Tavlaridis (275k) arrived from Brighton, and South Korean striker Seol joined on a Bosman. Danish midfielder Anders Hansen (100k) was added as more of a backup than anything else.

Out the exit door went Michael Brown (1.1m), a disappointing signing, while long serving Kevin Twaddle (300k) left for Boston Utd having been deemed surplus to requirements.

Andy Kirk, without a goal for two full seasons, was allowed to join Aberdeen for 1.6m, where typically he went on to score 25 goals in his first season. Academy product Darren Golden was shifted on for 500k too.

Here’s how we lined up for the first game against Dundee Utd:

It was yet another slow start to the SPL season. This time we managed three wins in the first 10, and also three draws.

But it was the UEFA Cup that grabbed all the headlines in the early part of the season.

A favourable draw saw us up against Neftchi Baku of Azerbaijan in the first round, and they were disposed of relatively comfortably 5-1 over two legs.

That landed us a plum tie against giants Benfica in round two. A gutsy 0-0 draw in the home leg gave us a glimmer of hope in the second leg, and this happened:

Through on away goals. The most glorious moment of the save so far.

That triumph then prompted back-to-back 4-0 wins in the league, and we actually went on an unprecedented six game unbeaten run in the league after that (before succumbing to 4-0 and 4-1 defeats successively!)

Sadly, the European dream came to an end in Turkey.

We failed to make the most of Genclerbirligi having their keeper sent off 21 mins in to the first leg, and won just 1-0 - and we went on to lose 3-0 in the away leg.

Back in the league, our form had us stuttering around mid table.

I then decided to splash the cash. Steven Reid joined for 5.75m, by far my most extravagant spend, as I tried to add that extra bit of quality we needed.

Fredrik Risp and Christian Wilhelmsson joined on Bosmans in November too, so the squad was improving generally.

By January, frustration was at an all time high. We chucked away a 2-0 lead at Hibs to draw 2-2 in the Scottish Cup third round, before winning the replay 3-2.

That was followed by some incredible league games, including a dramatic 5-5 against Hibs.

Quick fire cup wins over Kilmarnock (1-0) and St Johnstone (3-0) had us in the semi-finals, where we managed to avoid Rangers and landed D1 side Clyde.

The semi-final win over Clyde came amidst a run of six straight wins, which propelled us up the league table. While the top two were well clear, there was always a bunch of teams that were well within my reach, despite me spending much of the season in 6th or 7th.

And so it proved. A crucial win over Dundee Utd was followed by a tremendous victory over Celtic, and all of a sudden a save high of third looked on the cards.

A crushing 5-0 defeat to Dundee brought the six game winning run to a crashing end, but we had points on the board and a win over Aberdeen made sure of third place.

And then came the first real chance of silverware the Scottish Cup final against Rangers.

We were fortunate. Rangers had three goals disallowed!

Here was the team that managed it:

I’ve not done this on this thread yet, so here’s a bit of an overview of the team stats from this season…

So something to write home about at least.

Each season, the board’s requirements have been avoid relegation and push for success in the cups.

Well we did that to a tee this season.

We finally managed to top the “rest” too, in coming third behind Rangers and Celtic.

Maybe next season, we can make a title challenge...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Will keep an eye on this

What happened in 1st season middle meltdown – anything obvious? Injuries or just bad luck or maybe too much tinkering?

Great stuff getting debt down - 4m seems a harsh debt to start with!

Kevin Twaddle – great name!

Phil Stamp of ‘Boro fame!

Mike Duff

Bakircioglu – you buying all wonderkids?!

Tonge never realised his potential IRL

Dissapoitning 2nd season – a long way to catch Celtic

How the heck could you afford 2 players worth 2.5m each?! (or even total?!)

Never seen an abandoned match mid way before – got a screenie?!

Simone Perrotta

Not great 3rd season either – formation change needed? Seems like you have the quality to be doing much better?

Seol – he was always beastly IIRC

Brilliant v Benfica!

Steven reid - 5.75m – where is the cash coming from?!

WOW - cup win – superb stuff – moving to next level now

Big league push next year – how many CL places do they currently have?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great win in the Scottish Cup final and you're slowly developing into a very good side. Still a lot to do to catch the Old Firm but stick to the task and you'll close the gap.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    CL places is three - I think winner in to groups, and 2nd/3rd in to qualifiers.

Obviously being in Europe is helping raise the cash, I'm also selling players to raise funds.

As for slumps - I'm not sure. I seem to go through periods of feeling invincible, but then drop points in easy games. No real explanation.

vCash
    Season 5: Champions League debut

As a result of last season’s third place finish, we were in the Champions League qualifiers!

With that in mind, I felt there was a need to try and bring in a signing of experience and quality. That man was Cristiano Doni (2.8m) from Newcastle.

I also added Cherno Samba (1m).

The qualifier draw could have been easier - Fenerbahce.

A magnificent first half saw us lead 2-0 in Turkey, and although we eventually ended 2-2, we were in a positive position ahead of the home leg.

An early Fenerbahce goal had us worried slightly but a Doni brace proving straight away why we signed him.

For a change, we made a really good start to the SPL season, and we were setting the pace after 10 games.

Both Rangers and Celtic had disappointing starts, and for the first time, we were really on the front foot.

We were just grateful to be in the Champions League group stages, though we landed a really tough group of Feyenoord, Milan and Leverkusen.

For me, it was just about the financial rewards and prestige of being in the comp.

We bowed out with six defeats in the group stages, but we gave a good account of ourselves and it enabled us to put us on the map a little.

Following the cup win of last season, we made it to the final of the League Cup this year:

In the end, we fell away in the league and finished third for a second successive season

P38 W20 D6 L12 F89 A75 PTS66

A positive season, but a sure need to strengthen the defence.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    A Final isn't bad, but you definitely need to sort that defence out to push on. 14 goal difference?

Hopefully, the Champions League experience will come in handy for next season

vCash
    Season 6: A juggling act

It really feels like weve established ourselves as a top three side in the SPL now, and only a matter of time before we can realistically compete all the way with Rangers and Celtic for the title.

The priority ahead of season six was to strengthen the defence, and so in came Sean Hankin (1m) from Palace to cover both left back and centre back. The two key signings came in the shape of Kolo Toure (1.7m) and Sebastian Mendez (7.5m).

The league season started with a defeat at home to Rangers - and we landed a plum Champions League qualifier tie against Feyenoord.

I knew CL was a key part of our battle to establish ourselves, so I was disappointed with the draw.

But my heroes did their bit. Jamie Victory scored a crucial away goal as we won the first leg 1-0, and then in the return, a late show from Harpal Singh and Cherno Samba saw us home.

Unfortunately, the arrival of Mendez and Toure had come after these games, which meant they were unavailable for the group stages.

Such was my focus on the CL, that I sort of lost a bit of interest in the league.

In between the two qualifiers, we lost to St Mirren and Dundee Utd, both 2-1, both 90th minute winners.

By the time the CL group stages started, wed already lost 4 out of 5 in the league.

I was handed a supremely tough CL group, even tougher than last season - Galatasaray, Milan, Liverpool.

We kicked off with a 5-0 thumping in Turkey, before a tremendous 3-1 win over Milan - our first ever in the group stages - gave hope.

A plucky 1-0 win over Liverpool kept us in contention, despite losing the return fixture, and then a 2-1 win over Galatasaray meant we were through to the next phase.

That seemed to trigger a period of positivity. We progressed to the semi-finals of the League Cup, following a penalty shoot-out win over Rangers.

The CL group we drew was tough: PSG, Arsenal and Barcelona.

We started off with a 2-0 win over PSG, but that was to be as good as it got.

The break from CL enabled us to focus on the SPL, and 9 wins out of 10 had us back in third spot and on the cusp of challenging the top two.

There was also a superstar signing made - in the shape of Freddie Ljungberg (4.5m) from Arsenal.

We had probably given them too much of a start, but we were still in with a shout.

Just as it looked like we might be able to make an unlikely push for the title, the return of the other competitions proved too much.

We played just two league games out of 10, as CL, Scottish Cup and League Cup commitments took over. An agonising 1-0 defeat to Celtic in the League Cup semi-final ended those dreams, but we would get revenge in the Scottish Cup semis to set up an end of season date with Rangers.

We had become so distracted by our cup exploits, all of a sudden Dundee Utd had wrestled third place away from us.

The stark realisation that no third place would mean no CL hit me.

Defeat to Dundee and disappointing draws against Hibs and Falkirk had us worrying, and when Dundee Utd beat us 2-1 in the first game after the split, we were in trouble.

Six points behind with four to play, a draw with Rangers and then wins over Dundee and a 7-0 thumping of St Johnstone brought us level on points but with a superior goal difference going in to the last game.

Heartbreakingly, we could only manage a 1-1 draw against Celtic while Dundee Utd would win 3-2 at Dundee and finish third.

To add to our woe, we were thumped 4-1 in the Scottish Cup final by Rangers (who else).

A season with plenty of ups, had seen us end with nothing. And most disappointingly, with no CL for next season.

Here are the player stats for the season

Without doubt, this save has created a new CM legend for me. Harpal Singh.

He originally came on two separate loan spells, to provide something extra at AMC. He weighed in with goals, and I took a punt on him at 1m when Leeds wanted rid.

Initially, he struggled to establish himself as a first team regular, not through his performances, but just because I hadnt nailed him down to a starting spot as I had other players.

But in the past few seasons, he has kicked on remarkably. Playing at MC as part of a midfield three, he has scored an astonishing amount of goals, and is well a truly a JDG legend now!

And also, to give you an idea, here is how my squad looks at the end of season six

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Good updates from past couple of seasons

Maybe too much CL focus messed the league up?

Why are the star players unhappy?

UEFA could be something you can go far in but think if League is the focus then you need to play 2nd string in cups?

vCash
    The Unh thing is really annoying me.

All the players are enjoying playing for the club, but all the Unh happy ones "feel that the club doesn't have enough squad depth"

I've had 25+ players each season. I thought the problem was only having one 'keeper, but then even when I signed a new keeper it won't go away.

It's frustrating me now as I feel that is genuinely impacting on the game.

vCash
    What are the UNH players ratings/form then?

vCash
    Bit of a mix - it's some of my best players. It's hard to tell whether it is having an impact overall, but the level of inconsistency I'm showing would suggest that it can be an issue at times.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 7: Another what might have been

So season 2007/08. Last season’s disappointing 4th placed finish meant no Champions League.

What that meant was a summer of strengthening, and in came Mirko Antonioli (Bosman), Cristian Gasperoni (2.5m), Roy Keane (free - player/coach) and Scott Michie (free).

By now the “players unhappy at lack of squad depth” was frustrating me massively. No matter how big my squad, this wouldn’t go.

I was now running with a particularly big squad.

This is how we started the season against Celtic:

For a change, we started the SPL strongly. Four wins and two draws from the first six before the first defeat to Rangers.

The Rangers defeat came after we’d started our European excursions, as we safely navigated a first round tie against FC Levadia of Estonia.

We went on an unprecedented run of six straight wins in the league, most of which were thumping - 3-1, 4-1, 4-0, 5-1, 6-0.

Sadly, a European exit on away goals followed.

We managed to keep pace with Rangers and Celtic for much of the season, with early cup exits enabling a focus on the league.

Further signings were added in the shape of Terje Sanne (240k), Fredrik Stenman (400k) and Juan Sara (Bosman) to try and boost the ranks.

A nervy run towards the end of the regular season saw us drop a bit behind, but a Roy Keane inspired 4-0 win over Celtic had us dreaming.

Sadly, the dreams were brought crashing down, as a 4-2 defeat to Rangers in the penultimate game of the season meant I was unable to take the title race in to the final day.

So another third placed finish and still just a solitary Scottish Cup to show as glory in this save to date.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    ah but a decent improvement in league there mate - propoerly on the same level to challenge now

Poor exit from UEFA though - have you got the squad to challenge on a few fronts or you having to prioritise?

Roy Keane

vCash
    I don't think I've got the squad to be honest. I think challenging for SPL is about as far as I can get right now. I just don't have the ability to attract players of the next level I don't think.

- - - Updated - - -

Season 8: So near yet so far

Last season’s third place meant a return to the Champions League.

Given the relative success and the squad strengthening of last season, I didn’t feel the need to go out and sign a load of players. The impressive looking Chris Riggott (3m) came in, while Richard Wright (1.9m) was added as back-up goalkeeper to try and solve the ongoing player unhappy with squad depth problem.

This was how the season started against Kilmarnock:

As has been the case in previous seasons, our European commitments hindered the start of the SPL season.

We just about managed to hold off Rosenberg over two legs, to enter a Champions League group including Milan, Leverkusen and Zurich.

Such is the focus on getting that elusive SPL title, we were perhaps a little undercooked and underprepared for the CL this time round, and we bowed out in the group stages after a poor effort.

Both Rangers and Celtic were struggling a little in the league - Rangers boasting a midfield quartet of Steven Gerrard, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole and Kennedy Bakircioglu no less - which meant we were able to at least stay on the cusp of the title fight.

Progress to the League Cup semi final, where the inevitable meeting with Celtic occurred:

Another trophy chance spurned.

As the business end of the season approached, a run of four straight wins including one over Celtic, meant the momentum was with us.

We clawed back a deficit to the top two and were well in the hunt. But a disappointing draw against Dundee Utd after Richard Wright was sent off was a set back, before this killer in the penultimate game of the season:

Without that 90th minute equaliser, we would have gone in to the final game of the season against Rangers knowing that a win would secure the title.

As it was, the St Johnstone draw meant Rangers held a four point lead over us, and the league title was gone again for another season.

We again finished third, for the fourth time in five seasons.

P38 W21 D4 L13 F71 A54 PTS67

36. The Following User Says Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

AMC

vCash
    Rangers midfield

GUTTED in cup S/F - you must have thought you reached the final after scoring in 109th minute!

Wow - incredibly frustrating in league - getting ever so closer!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Season 9: The promised land

Having grown tired of trying to remove the “unh” status on half of my squad, I decided that having an oversized squad wasn’t worth it.

I shipped on some dead wood and then splashed the cash on my most expensive ever signing - Greek defender Nikolaos Tobros for 11m.

We started unspectacularly in the SPL, but after 10 games we were top.

We successfully navigated the Champions League qualifiers and landed a group of Porto, Dortmund and Rosenborg.

Sadly we were unable to replicate the success of victory over Rosenborg last season, and we crashed out with five points - another example of how we were ill-prepared for the assault on Europe’s elite.

SPL form was typical - some good results and some bad, but we managed to maintain our position towards the top.

A cup victory over Celtic, albeit after a replay, boosted confidence and we then faced Rangers in the Scottish Cup semi-finals, only to lose after a replay.

I knew that if we were to win the league, we would have to beat both Celtic and Rangers in the final phase of the season.

One down. But then we lost 1-0 at Kilmarnock, and all of a sudden, it was squeaky bum time again.

Fortunately, Rangers and Celtic drew with each other, and main challengers Rangers dropped points elsewhere.

Then came the big one:

That meant I was in charge going in to the final game. I knew a win would give me the title.

And what better place to do it:

The title winning team:

So finally, after nine seasons, the SPL title comes to Edinburgh.

But at what cost? Such has been my focus on getting the league title in the bag, my team building has perhaps gone out of the window. Doni and Ljungberg are both very much in the twilight of their careers. Duff at RB is on his way out soon too, while we haven’t had a specialist left back since the departure of Jamie Victory at the start of the season.

The challenge is now whether I can re-invent the team to not only defend the title, but challenge in Europe too.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ah - very well done!

Put your eggs in the SPL basket and it paid off!

I'll have to try old school Scotland - the split league at the end is brilliant!

All the "S's" scoring for you at Hibs to bring home the bacon!

Best of luck fighting all front next year!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast