Thread: CM 97/98 - Discussion

vCash

CM 97/98 - Discussion

My first game of the series so the one I hold fondest memories of.

Someones still doing updates:

http://www.cm97-98.eu/index.html

It's not perfect but its bloody good.

9798.jpgMan City.jpgSearch.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBuckminster For This Useful Post:

Sam

316'sRegen Unattached
    This was also my first forray into trhe world of championship manager, great game!

vCash
    I'll resurrect this thread instead of opening a new one.
    I loaded this game for a laugh and was overwhelmed with lots of good memories so decided to play a season.

I chose Juve, bought Henry and Jardel, and eventually won the title.

The dreaded "not for sale" message is something I remembered well from the old days.

After trying out some modern tactics and failing, I settled for this...

I must say, though, the match engine of this game is terrible. 90% of the goals are scored after corners and indirect freekicks, most of them as rebounds. If you have a good set piece taker and players with good heading, you're on a winner.

Some stats are crazy, too. Check the tackling.

I completely forgot about the old CL format, 6 groups and only the winners progress, plus the two best 2nd placed.

Another thing in CM 97/98 are superkeepers. There are a lot of those occurrences, not just in my games, but generally speaking. And I mean a lot. It gets annoying and tedious really fast.
    I got knocked out of CL due to superkeepers, for instance.

Some interesting screenshots...

vCash
    Churky in playing CM shocker

vCash
    So I gather it only works in DosBox ...
    Do I have any chances with a 32-bit Win XP?

vCash
    Possibly the 2nd favourite of the CM series for me. Wasn't this the version where you could cheat and sign players for free?
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    And the Ronald McDonald cheat?

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    I think Info0 needs to take note of this; this is how to make a gaming post interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mihaio07 View Post
    So I gather it only works in DosBox ...
    Do I have any chances with a 32-bit Win XP?
    Only if you have DosBox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Possibly the 2nd favourite of the CM series for me. Wasn't this the version where you could cheat and sign players for free?
    What do you mean, for free?

If I recall correctly, in 97/98 you could sign world class players whose contracts expired every summer because they were reluctant to extend them. I'm not sure, though, I'll check.
    One thing is for sure, there's no Bosman rule, but what's shocking is that you cannot try to extend your players' contracts in the middle of the season, you have to wait until they've almost expired.

vCash
    I can't remember now as it was so many years ago but I'm sure there was a thing where you could offer a huge amount of money that got accepted and if you amended the fee during offering a contract, you could get the player for free. Can't remember exactly how it went though, just something that stirred in my memory this morning.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    the guy is from holland,chief of their update team...he asked me for help with creating a tool for importing players to cm9798 DB like we have one...i even asked JL when he finds time to help...

http://www.cm97-98.eu/

this is their website...

vCash
    Yeah, I found the update(s) as well, but the beauty of it is to play with original 97/98 players. Nothing can beat having the Deschamps-Davids-Zidane trio in Juve midfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by churky View Post
    Yeah, I found the update(s) as well, but the beauty of it is to play with original 97/98 players. Nothing can beat having the Deschamps-Davids-Zidane trio in Juve midfield.
    You can do that in my CM3 Project along with Henry, Del Piero...etc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I can't remember now as it was so many years ago but I'm sure there was a thing where you could offer a huge amount of money that got accepted and if you amended the fee during offering a contract, you could get the player for free. Can't remember exactly how it went though, just something that stirred in my memory this morning.
    That was a CM4 glitch if I remember rightly.

vCash
    It worked with CM2. I think the bug had been fixed for 9798.

vCash
    Quite fancy getting a game of this, can anyone mind what a decent tac was?

It would only be the player positions and style needed.

316'sRegen Unattached
    442 attacking, high wingers
    Not sure if there were individual instructions in this game, there wasn't any training even!

Also, sign John Curtis! He is legendary in this one

And check out Edondo Edinho (Bradford I think), he is one of those -1 or whatever it is. Some games he is unbeleivable...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 316'sRegen For This Useful Post:

316'sRegen Unattached
    Quote Originally Posted by djole2mcloud View Post
    the guy is from holland,chief of their update team...he asked me for help with creating a tool for importing players to cm9798 DB like we have one...i even asked JL when he finds time to help...

http://www.cm97-98.eu/

this is their website...
    Regarding this, that would be the exact type of thing I was talking about in the CM series thread, let's have a look at their latest update and see if it's worth having on the downloads here (with their permission of course)

vCash
    I had so much fun with this game! I remember taking notes of all real-life major transfers and updating the game on a regular basis. I did that for quite a few years, actually.

As a Newcastle fan, I made sure that no Newcastle player had a CA/PA below world class level. My 3-2-5 tactic worked wonders, at least with my heavily edited Newcastle, but I never really understood why it didn't work that well when I tried managing other teams ...

One of my finest moments in gaming are taking over Southampton halfway through the season, battling to avoid relegation and eventually finishing 17th or so.

vCash
    It is a shame nobody has ever tried to go all OpenTTD on one of the CM games because this one would be perfect.

vCash
    Hi everyone, I have re-play this game because I miss my fav FC Parma golden era, it quite sad that the club now bankrupt and was relegated to lowest division.

I have edit some players to be more realistic. For the example. I have add some few points to Totti, Inzaghi, Cannavaro, Nesta, Thuram, etc and also correct the position of some players such as Crespo FC->SC, Ronaldo FC->SC, Pirlo FL->MC, Nedved DMC->AMRLC, Bergkamp AM/FC-> FC and etc.

My prefer tactic now is 442A (passing) and custom 4231 (passing)

vCash
    Don't suppose anybody has a screenshot of Tommy Svindal Larsen's stats at the very start of the game? My favourite ever CM/FM player and I'm looking to have it blown up and hung above the PC at home.

Cheers

vCash
    hey - good to see some discussion of the greatest footy manager game of all time.. i've just starting playing it regularly again after about ten years. There doesn't seem to be much of an online community for cm9798 at the moment, so I've started a website where I'll post about my game and hopefully some tactics/tips etc. https://champinnit.wordpress.com

and i'll get a screen shot of Tommy Svindal Larsen this evening if I have time

26. The Following User Says Thank You to cm9798redux For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Guy I gonna have to ask for a little help. Sorry if there is something really stupid about this but I've tried over and over again.

I am running cm9798 on dosbox. I have a CD with the original version v2.81 and downloaded these guys (www.cm97-98.eu/) full updated version (since i cant find anywhere the official v2.93 update standalone)

I then went to their section for season 15/16 and downloaded the files, which I added to both folders and It doesn't work. What bugs me is that the files I downloaded should replace files and they don't:

MGDATA1.0.DB1
    MGDATA1.1.DB1
    MGDATA1.2.DB1
    MGDATA1.3.DB1
    PLAYERS1.0.DB1
    TMDATA.DB1 (this one gets replaced)

Am I suppose to rename the files? Can't I use all the leagues updates on the game?

Then the files on this section: http://www.cm97-98.eu/3-extra-files.html What are they for? Do I need them or not?

I've tried so many variations Im losing my mind. Please help, i would really like to try cm9798 with the new season updates.

Thank you guys.

vCash
    download the v2.93 version of the game... it's for the best.

...and then rename your db files to:
    mgdata.db1
    players.db1
    tmdata.db1