Thread: Background Leagues and Random Competitions

vCash

Background Leagues and Random Competitions

Has anyone else experienced it where you are running several background leagues and all of a sudden one of the background competitions starts displaying regular results? For example, playing in Denmark the Norwegian Cup results started showing up after my first game. In another game, in England, the Croatian Second Division came to the fore after about three seasons. I have other saves where this phenomenon has not appeared at all. Does anyone have an explanation?

vCash
    Sometimes happens to me, it is annoying but no explanation as to why tbh.

I also never play with background leagues, I play all in full depth.

What has crossed my mind is it has happened after selecting to start with England when load up but manage in Scotland instead.
    Last edited by Cam F; 02-07-16 at 08:37 AM.

vCash
    Happens in every game i play on cm 0001. Doesnt bother me. Usually the polish 2nd division.

vCash
    Thanks for the replies. Just another glitch, then, like referee names and misaligned text on the officials screens. This one is just a tad more annoying because it can marginally slow the game down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Conquest View Post
    Has anyone else experienced it where you are running several background leagues and all of a sudden one of the background competitions starts displaying regular results? For example, playing in Denmark the Norwegian Cup results started showing up after my first game. In another game, in England, the Croatian Second Division came to the fore after about three seasons. I have other saves where this phenomenon has not appeared at all. Does anyone have an explanation?
    Hey, I got the same problem... it seems like a "ghost manager" got a job at a club in one of those leagues... Sometimes you can see him in that clubs staff screen, it shows as a blank name, with any job. Got rid of him once by adding a manager at that club, but it wasn't long before the next one showed up... Think it may have something to do with a human manager retiring, and the game appointing that "retired" staff member to a new job...
    Last edited by dutchie; 19-08-16 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling error

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dutchie For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchie View Post
    Hey, I got the same problem... it seems like a "ghost manager" got a job at a club in one of those leagues... Sometimes you can see him in that clubs staff screen, it shows as a blank name, with any job. Got rid of him once by adding a manager at that club, but it wasn't long before the next one shows up... Think it may have something to do with a human manager retiring, and the game appointing that "retired" staff member to a new job...
    That's an interesting observation. How do you find the club where the ghost manager resides? The only clue seems to be the country that shows up.

Something funny I found out recently. It appears the developers were aware of this issue at some point. I recall seeing in the changelog for version 3.86 that a bug was fixed that seems to fit the description. However, I am on 3.89 (with modified 3.86 database) and it still happens.

vCash
    Well... I haven't found a "smart" way to find the affected club... Just checked their staff-rosters one by one, until I found the "odd one out". Sometimes cup matches show up, which may be a hint, since some teams do or don't play certain cup competitions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dutchie For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchie View Post
    Well... I haven't found a "smart" way to find the affected club... Just checked their staff-rosters one by one, until I found the "odd one out". Sometimes cup matches show up, which may be a hint, since some teams do or don't play certain cup competitions.
    Ah, yes, the cup competitions. Thanks for the pointers and for a proposed solution. I'll check it out next time it happens.

vCash
    Alright, so I had the chance to experiment with a new game as an English team. The first match day of the season the Argentine Second Division pops up as well. I investigate and, sure enough, Arsenal de Sarandi have a ghost scout among their ranks. Fortunately, I still had a copy of the save from the moment the game was created. By playing back through a couple of times I found out that they started out with three regular scouts, two of whom get nabbed by another club sometime in early August. Between then and match day the ghost appears in one of the vacant slots.

Knowing this sequence of events, which repeated every time, I checked the Arsenal de Sarandi staff screen every day within the game until my match day. I tried this more than once and the ghost never appeared. I then played a whole season and didn't have a problem. Looking at the club so often somehow stopped the ghost spawning.

I realise this is hardly an ideal solution, but it seems that if you are willing and able to revert to an earlier save of your game from before the ghost shows up, you may be able to prevent his appearance by the very action of searching for him. It is the definitive Observer Effect.

My testing has not been exhaustive, but in a given game I have never had more than one background league show up due to this phenomenon. I am therefore hopeful that it will only occur once if it's going to happen. Maybe it can be avoided if you catch it before the season really gets going to where you don't want to start over.
    Last edited by Dr. Conquest; 27-08-16 at 05:54 AM.