Thread: Custom league advice

vCash

Custom league advice

For years, I've wanted to create a custom league on CM. I tried on CM 00/01, spent a lot of time putting all the teams on, only for the game to crash whenever you reached a certain date.

What is the best way to approach starting a custom league?

So the loose idea is that I will perhaps create 36 custom teams, maybe in 3 leagues of 12.

Or do I need to replace existing teams? (e.g. take the Scottish league structure and just overwrite each team).

Can anyone advise on the best practice?

Also, I assume that the CM 01/02 editor runs OK on Macbooks?

Apologies if this is the wrong section to post this in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdgmedia For This Useful Post:

vCash
    When I have been involved in the running and setting up of CML and DTL I always choose a league and then rename the clubs in those leagues. That's easy but then some teams cannot be renamed as they are hard coded, so you need to swap them into a different league. Example, I think Celtic and Rangers cannot be renamed in Scotland. In this case as we only use one division the Scottish Premier League I simply move them to Division 2 and replace them with clubs that can be renamed.

You do that by simply changing the league of the club, in this instance choose Scottish Division 2

Spoiler!

Its pretty simple really if you are any good with the pre-game editor.

Id say choose a league that has what you require for your format, like you say 36 teams, 3 x 12 , see if there is a league system in place that supports that and then concentrate on editing those leagues.

if you want to keep teams in the game instead of re-naming then that's a whole new level.

What Id also suggest is to have a go with what you want to do and post back as you progress if you have any

vCash
    Finally got round to installing a second version of the game on my Mac, so playing around with the editor now.

Currently trying to decide what league to overwrite. Few options...

Croatia (48) - D1 16, D2N 16, D2S 16
    Denmark (44) - D1 12, D2 16, D3 16
    Finland (32) - D1 12, D2N 10, D2S 10
    Greece (28) - D1 14, D2 14
    Northern Ireland (20) - D1 10, D2 10
    Norway (30) - D1 14, D2 16
    Scotland (42) - D1 12, D2 10, D3 10, D4 10

Ideally I wanted a three tier system, but not overly keen on the north/south split idea otherwise Finland would be the best option. Denmark is perfect but maybe just too many teams, so I'm leaning towards either Greece or Northern Ireland now.

I want to play a lot of seasons and have lots of up and downs, and so it feels a bit limited sadly.

Regarding players, do you overwrite the existing players too? (as you suggested with the clubs) - or create new players?

vCash
    Denmark has a pretty annoying winter break

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Scotland is really good as you can have 4 divisions with no relegation out of the bottom league.

When I do stuff like this, I either create teams from scratch and then just swap them into my new league, or (my world league with Brazil in the downloads section) I swap existing teams into a league

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Forrest View Post
    Scotland is really good as you can have 4 divisions with no relegation out of the bottom league.

When I do stuff like this, I either create teams from scratch and then just swap them into my new league, or (my world league with Brazil in the downloads section) I swap existing teams into a league
    Do you create the players from scratch too?

Do I need to delete the existing teams or will everything still be OK?

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Do you want all new teams with all new players?

vCash
    Ideally, yes.

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Then yes. My suggestion would be to create new teams in the editor, create new players in the editor and put them on your new teams.... then once you've done that, swap the new teams into the league you want them to play in using the swap function within the official editor

You don't need to delete anything.

If, for example you just want 12 new team in the Scottish PL, I would create them, get them set up the way you want, then swap them into Division 3.... then swap them into Division 2, then 1, then the SPL.... that way you are essentially pushing all the other teams down by a division

Make sense?

vCash
    Great thanks, I am hoping to create an entire league system. To be honest it's something I've wanted to do for nearly 10 years. I've got a word doc of a load of me and my mates Sunday league teams, plus some other friends teams from an old forum I ran. Would love to run a few seasons with it.

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Good luck. A bunch of us have experience creating leagues and making league patches and stuff so if you're stuck, feel free to reach out