Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The World of Football Management - Chapter 5 - Pride of England

vCash
    Belarus, Slovenia and Austria... even with a new manager finding his feet I'm expecting nine points from those three games!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    and no goals conceded!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to London35 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sorry but any u-21 has to include Chelsea graduates, Chelsea youth has been immense for the last (four?) a couple of years of FA Youth cup!

Lewis Baker (irl) was top goalscorer for England during Toulon victory before Euro. Only football success England has had in god knows how many years

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Remind me of the last real Chelsea prospect to come through the ranks? - Shma ethey haven't really been given a run of games (e.g Loftus Cheek) especially given how things were going last season

Good luck Mark for the first game - you shouldn't need it tho!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Remind me of the last real Chelsea prospect to come through the ranks? - Shma ethey haven't really been given a run of games (e.g Loftus Cheek) especially given how things were going last season

Half joking around mate

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZanSnake For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loyal_royal1 View Post
    Good luck Mark! Think I'd have left Wilkins to deal with his alcoholism and the 3 drink drive charges he's racked up in the last year though
    I wasn't aware of that at the time I was picking out people still coaching at the moment with the most England caps.

Quote Originally Posted by London35 View Post
    when you do interviews....get some song titles in....like seaman and adams 96!
    I'll think about it

Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Belarus, Slovenia and Austria... even with a new manager finding his feet I'm expecting nine points from those three games!
    True, at least it's a good opportunity to see how the new system works.

Quote Originally Posted by London35 View Post
    and no goals conceded!
    That'd be pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Sorry but any u-21 has to include Chelsea graduates, Chelsea youth has been immense for the last (four?) a couple of years of FA Youth cup!

Lewis Baker (irl) was top goalscorer for England during Toulon victory before Euro. Only football success England has had in god knows how many years
    That's true but barely any of them will play in the game at this stage, I'm only looking at players who get 1st team action which is why there's a few Football League players in the U21 squad.

Nail on head

Quote Originally Posted by ZanSnake View Post
    Half joking around mate
    Hopefully some will follow Loftus-Cheek in making a move for more action so they'll come up for selection.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

kuy

vCash
    So, who is going to start up front in your first match?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Akitt For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You'll find out momentarily
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash

Rooney Captain in Henderson's First Match

There was a return for Wayne Rooney to his forward position as Mark Henderson announced his first England team to take on Slovenia at Wembley which contained just four players who had featured at Euro 2016.

Rooney captains a team that starts with Harry Kane, Ryan Bertrand and Nathaniel Clyne as the Euro 2016 quartet while John Stones is the only other player involved who was in France.

Injuries had ruled Fabian Delph, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Danny Welbeck out of the tournament but they all return today to start in midfield besides Sunderland's Jack Rodwell who is handed his 3rd cap for England.

The defence sees a debut for Michael Mancienne who made an intriguing 975K return to Chelsea over the Summer from Nottm Forest, six years after leaving Stamford Bridge for HSV. He is ushered by 33 year old Ben Foster who makes only his 9th England start.

There was no room however, for Jack Butland, Carl Jenkinson, Danny Rose, Jordan Henderson, Theo Walcott and Jamie Vardy in the squad.

England vs. Slovenia
    1 - Ben Foster
    2 - Nathaniel Clyne
    3 - Ryan Bertrand
    4 - Michael Mancienne
    5 - John Stones
    6 - Jack Rodwell
    7 - Danny Welbeck
    8 - Fabian Delph
    9 - Harry Kane
    10 - Wayne Rooney
    11 - Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

You could almost sense the nerves that Mark Henderson was feeling as he made his way out of the tunnel at Wembley. The England crowd gave him a polite reception but were undoubtedly inspired by the fervour of the English national anthem as the players were clearly ordered to sing along with pride.

After settling into the dugout for the kick off, Henderson was up on his feet again after just four minutes.

It was for a goal and it was the first goal of his reign as Fabian Delph drove the ball through a crowd after a corner kick.

In almost a carbon copy of the Under 21's match, England were playing with a high tempo from the word 'go' and made it 2:0 through Harry Kane. A cross by Bertrand was met by an onrushing Delph whose header wasn't gathered cleanly by Jan Oblak. After it fell to Kane, there was only one outcome.

Slovenia were clearly shell-shocked at the sudden swagger in the England side. They attacked with purpose and as a unit and it resulted in a 3rd goal with Delph once again involved. He was the man who broke up an attack and fed it to Jack Rodwell whose centred ball into the box was headed down by Wayne Rooney for Danny Welbeck to dive onto the ball and score a 15th goal in an England shirt.

Rooney himself though he'd scored a few minutes later with a header from a Oxlade-Chamberlain cross only to be frustrated by an offside flag by the assistant referee.

The Under 21's had ended the first half 3:0 and the senior side matched it at Wembley. However, unlike the Under 21 team who had restricted their opponents to nought shots at goal, Slovenia had some chances in the second half.

They came shortly after Tom Ince was introduced to the game, replacing Danny Welbeck. Ince would be making his debut for the country and would be the first Derby player to play for England since Seth Johnson in 2000.

Foster, who'd had nothing to do for 73 minutes, was suddenly called into action after brilliantly saving from Lazarevic's pot-shot. Soon afterwards, he watched on as Josip Ilicic let fly an effort that sailed wide.

There was a blemish on the game as Ryan Bertrand was forced off with an injury in the 81st minute. It led to a shuffle at the back with Nathaniel Clyne switching to the left and Kyle Walker introduced to the action at right-back.

The Alphabet Game #3

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great start!

Fans were initially underwhelmed by your appointment. Do you believe the positive start will get more people on your side?

What did you make of the "It's just like watching Brazil" chants from the crowd?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Solid win, good ratings across the board

Did you play your usual 4-5-1 with a DM, a CM, and three AMs (left and right running in, plus one central)? Or a standard 4-4-2?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash

Post Match Reaction

As news broke that Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce had been relieved of his duties at Sunderland, England manager Mark Henderson had sympathy for his colleague when quizzed about his feelings on the matter following England's 3:0 victory over Slovenia.

Q: Congratulations on winning your first match for England! What are you initial thoughts on the game?
    I thought every player was absolutely fantastic out there. Make no mistake, they've got a fantastic goalkeeper and some dangerous players in the likes of Kevin Kampl and Josip Ilicic and I think we did very well to contain them to just one attempt on goal and storm into that 3:0 lead within half an hour.

Q: Any negatives from the game?
    I think you've always got to analyse the game and look for potential flaws in the game that we can work on. I would say my only disappointment was that we didn't manage to add to the goals as we had another hour to play. It wasn't for the lack of trying though and we did have one of the best goalkeepers in the world playing against us.

Q: What about Ryan Bertrand, he went off injured towards the end?
    Yes, that was a real blow for us and Southampton especially. Ryan went straight to the hospital to get a scan and I spoke to Ronald Koeman personally to offer my apologies. Ronald was a top international player himself though and he knows that this sort of thing is unpredictable. It looks as though Ryan is out for three weeks which is a huge miss for Southampton as he's been superb and did very well for us too. I'm not sure whether he'll be fit by the time I have to pick the next squad but hopefully he'll play before then.

Q: Fans were initially underwhelmed by your appointment. Do you believe the positive start will get more people on your side?
    I don't see why not? I feel I had a good CV going into the role and I made it clear that things were going to be different. Every player out there were playing in a role that they are accustomed to and I think it paid off on the pitch. For the likes of Ben Foster at West Brom and Jack Rodwell at Sunderland, they've been given a chance and I'm sure their supporters are absolutely delighted to see representatives of their club play for the national team. It should offer encouragement to others out there too.

Q: What did you make of the "It's just like watching Brazil" chants from the crowd?
    Let's not get carried away, ey? Saying that, the fans are just having a bit of fun and it's nice to see them smiling and celebrating that way as we've not had a lot to smile about over the past few years.

Q: Did you play your usual 4-5-1 with a DM, a CM, and three AMs (left and right running in, plus one central)? Or a standard 4-4-2?
    It was a 4-5-1 formation. We had Danny Welbeck employed out on the right and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain on the left with Wayne Rooney playing just behind Harry Kane. I have to give Danny Welbeck a special mention as he was simply superb, never stopped running and was always a threat.

Q: News has just broken that Sam Allardyce has been sacked at Sunderland. What do you make of it?
    Being sacked is not a nice feeling. I've had that experience at Alfreton and Man City in the past and I like to think that I've learnt from them. Hopefully Sam can do the same. I must admit that it was a surprising decision given that Sunderland are 11th. Sacking someone after just four games seems a bit extreme to me.

Q: Do you think it'll have an effect on Jack Rodwell? There's also young Liam Agnew in the Under 21 squad too?
    Who knows? It depends on whether the new manager comes in and takes a liking to them. Hopefully Jack will carry on with his form and the new manager will have no choice but to keep picking him. Thank you gentlemen, I'm going to take a little bit of time off now and then get back to assessing players ahead of the games next month!

In the weeks that followed the press conference, Sunderland appointed Steve Clarke as Sam Allardyce's replacement and Jack Rodwell was selected in a 3:2 win over Coventry in the League Cup for his first game. Unfortunately, Rodwell was injured after just 13 minutes with a damaged heel which ruled him out of contention against Belarus and Austria along with Bertrand, Michael Mancienne, Jordan Henderson and Danny Sturridge.

Henderson also had concerns over Wayne Rooney and Ryan Shawcross and his coaching team also voiced concerns over the form of Ross Barkley, Tom Ince, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Danny Rose and Jamie Vardy.

There could well be a much changed England squad next time out...

The Alphabet Game #3

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good to see Rodwell in the squad, alwas thought he was a player with potential - shame about his injury. Wonder where Allardyce will end up next...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Rodwell an interesting choice in the midfield. He must have impressed before his injury?

No Joe Hart? You are not afraid to give less established players a chance. Will we be likely to see this continue as time goes on? And can the more established get back in, or are their England days numbered?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuy View Post
    Good to see Rodwell in the squad, alwas thought he was a player with potential - shame about his injury. Wonder where Allardyce will end up next...
    A bit of an odd sacking that one. They were 11th so I don't get it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Rodwell an interesting choice in the midfield. He must have impressed before his injury?

No Joe Hart? You are not afraid to give less established players a chance. Will we be likely to see this continue as time goes on? And can the more established get back in, or are their England days numbered?
    Well, everyone had only played 1/2 games at that point so I picked the squad according to their performances. There's very few DMC's out there so Rodwell got in for that reason and because he had a good start.

Hart hasn't started well - I covered him here: http://champman0102.co.uk/showthread...339#post307339
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash

Mass Changes to England Squad

At the time of writing, there were eight players who had been called up into Mark Henderson's first England squad who are currently injured. Ryan Bertrand (groin strain), Michael Mancienne (torn groin muscle), Jack Rodwell (damaged heel), Daniel Sturridge (strained knee ligaments), Jordan Henderson (gashed leg), Wayne Rooney (bruised shin) and Ryan Shawcross (bruised shin) all forced Henderson to look around for replacements. Eric Dier and Chris Smalling, who had been named in the initial squad before injury, had yet to recover as well.

Eight then became thirteen as Henderson confirmed that Danny Rose, Ross Barkley, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Tom Ince and Jamie Vardy would not be involved after a loss of club form meant that they lost their spots in the squad. Tottenham have picked up just one win in five games while Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jamie Vardy has both yet to start a match for Arsenal and Leicester. Everton are impressing in 4th place but Barkley has flattered to deceive and Tom Ince was struggling as Derby were in the relegation spots.

With Ben Foster also omitted from the squad after starting just twice for West Brom, it appears that Mark Henderson is sticking to his word that only players both in form and playing regularly will be considered for selection.

England Squad
    Fraser Forster - Southampton - 28 - 5/0 - GK.
    Jack Butland - Stoke - 23 - 4/0 - GK.
    * David Stockdale - Norwich - 30 - 0/0 - GK.
    John Stones - Everton - 22 - 17/0 - DRC.
    Nathaniel Clyne - Chelsea - 25 - 17/0 - DR.
    Kyle Walker - Tottenham - 26 - 20/0 - DR.
    Phil Jones - Man Utd - 24 - 23/0 - DRC.
    Carl Jenkinson - Everton - 24 - 1/0 - DR.
    * Jon Flanagan - Liverpool - 23 - 1/0 - DRL.
    * Leighton Baines - Everton - 31 - 31/1 - DL.
    * Scott Dann - Crystal Palace - 29 - 0/0 - DC.
    * Joel Ward - Crystal Palace - 26 - 0/0 - DRLC.
    Theo Walcott - Arsenal - 27 - 51/9 - FRLC.
    Danny Welbeck - Arsenal - 25 - 36/15 - FRLC.
    Fabian Delph - Man City - 26 - 10/1 - MC.
    Adam Lallana - Liverpool - 28 - 26/1 - AMRLC.
    * Danny Drinkwater - Leicester - 26 - 2/0 - MC.
    * Marc Albrighton - Leicester - 26 - 0/0 - AMRL.
    * Saido Berahino - West Brom - 23 - 0/0 - FLC.
    * Jay Rodriguez - Southampton - 27 - 1/0 - AM/FLC.
    * Ashley Young - West Ham - 31 - 32/7 - AMRL.
    Ashley Westwood - Aston Villa - 26 - 0/0 - DMC.
    * Lee Cattermole - Sunderland - 28 - 0/0 - DMC.
    Harry Kane - Tottenham - 23 - 19/10 - SC.
    * Charlie Austin - Southampton - 27 - 1/0 - SC.
    * Benik Afobe - Bournemouth - 23 - 0/0 - SC.

Well, as much as it may be refreshing to see so many new faces in the team that never got a chance before at international level, you have to wonder whether it is too inexperienced an England squad? Eight players in total there without a cap and another seven who have less than 10 caps each. Injuries have clearly played a part in this though, we have to admit that because it's turned into 13 changes from last time out. I have absolutely no idea what will happen out there in two weeks time!

England U21 Squad
    * Jack Rose - Tranmere (Hull) - 21 - GK.
    * Tom Hadler - Crawley - 20 - GK.
    * Lewis Ward - Harrow Borough (Reading) - 19 - GK.
    * Luke Shaw - Man Utd - 21 - DL.
    Calum Chambers - Arsenal - 21 - DRC.
    * Reece Oxford - West Ham - 17 - D/DMC.
    Greg Leigh - MK Dons - 21 - DL.
    Jake Cooper - Hull - 21 - DC.
    Darnell Furlong - QPR - 20 - DR.
    * Jassem Sukar - Blackburn - 20 - DLC.
    * Patrick Brough - Walsall - 20 - D/AML.
    * Leon Lucas - West Brom - 17 - D/DMRC.
    Raheem Sterling - Man City - 21 - AM/FRLC.
    Dele Alli - Tottenham - 20 - AMC.
    Will Hughes - West Ham - 21 - AMRLC.
    * Jack Grealish - Aston Villa - 21 - AMC.
    Ruben Loftus-Cheek - Aston Villa - 20 - DMC.
    * Patrick Roberts - Celtic (Man City) - 19 - AMRC.
    Callum Gribben - Derby - 17 - MC.
    * Jordan Rossiter - Liverpool - 19 - MC.
    Aaron Tshibola - Colchester - 21 - MC.
    * Mark Francis - Lincoln (MK Dons) - 21 - AM/FL.
    * Solomon Sambou - Aldershot (Nottm Forest) - 20 - DMC.
    Cauley Woodrow - Fulham - 21 - SC.
    Karlan Aheane-Grant - Charlton - 20 - SC.
    Jack Ryan - Preston - 20 - SC.

If you thought the senior team had mass changes, then that was nothing compared to the Under 21's! Bryan Robson confirmed that six players (Jerome Williams, Bryn Morris, Devante Cole, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Liam Agnew and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson) have been left out due to a lack of action, three players (Ademola Lookman, James Maddison and Ross Etheridge) due to injury and five (Jordon Ibe, Joe Gomez, Joe Lumley, Cameron Brannigan and Luke Simpson) due to form. 14 changes! Despite that, I think it's still a very good looking squad. You've got some established Premiership players in there and a few with a bit of potential. I don't think they'll have many problems at all.

Pundits Paul Merson and Charlie Nicholas have offered their opinions on the squad selections but what do YOU think? Ask your own questions below!

The Alphabet Game #3

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Lee Clattermole. England would be better off playing with 10 men!! Would you agree with this assessment?

Lots of new faces in the squad. Is this upsetting the gel of the team? Are they just there to make up the numbers or are the new faces hungry for action.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebfatz For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I know you're selecting players based on form, but is there much point in including players like Leighton Baines and Ashley Young who will be 33 by the time the World Cup rolls around? Is picking on momentary form going to affect your ability to plan for the long term?

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuy For This Useful Post:

vCash

Under 21's in Action

Mark Henderson was in action in Dynama in Minsk to witness the English Under 21's take on their Belarusian counterparts. Sky Sports managed to ask the England a few questions on the eve of their European Qualifier which was to take place in the same venue.

Q: Lee Clattermole. England would be better off playing with 10 men!! Would you agree with this assessment?
    I think Lee has built up an unfair reputation over the years. It's true that in his younger days, he picked up a few red cards while he was at Middlesbrough and Wigan. However, he has been excellent for Sunderland this season and I think everyone is aware that the England team needs some aggression and bite in the team at times. This could well be one of those times.

Q: Lots of new faces in the squad. Is this upsetting the gel of the team?
    I can understand where you are coming from but it's also important to note that we are always bringing players in who are playing rather well for their clubs and we have no qualms about bringing anybody through regardless of whether they have experienced the international stage before.

Q: Are they just there to make up the numbers or are the new faces hungry for action?
    If they aren't hungry for action then we have a bit of a problem, don't we?! Nobody is here to make up the numbers. Obviously, there are a few who would be here if it wasn't for injury but we don't look at things in that way. We look at those who are still playing well and therefore deserve a call-up. They have a chance to show us what they can do and at the same time, they get some experience out of it. It's a win-win situation as far as I am concerned.

I know you're selecting players based on form, but is there much point in including players like Leighton Baines and Ashley Young who will be 33 by the time the World Cup rolls around?
    I think that's an unfair comment on Leighton and Ashley. Both players have been outstanding for Everton and West Ham respectively. Ashley in particular decided to make the move from Manchester United last year and he's turned his career around as a result. It's only right that he's recognised for that. Leighton won't be playing for us after all though as he had a nasty looking gash in his leg when Everton beat Brighton before the players were due to fly out. We've brought in Aaron Cresswell from West Ham in his place.

Is picking on momentary form going to affect your ability to plan for the long term?
    I don't see why that would be so? There'll always be a group of Englishmen out there who are playing well at certain stages of the season and therefore will be selected on merit. Some will tail off, some will improve and some will be consistent throughout the year. That's football!

Q: Is there any truth to the rumour that Sam Allardyce may be linking up with you in the coaching set-up?
    I'm afraid not. I have a lot of respect for Sam and am amazed that he was sacked by Sunderland but we are happy with the team that we put together after I was appointed. Nothing has changed in that respect.

Q: Are there any injury news ahead of the game tomorrow? We understand that Joel Ward has gone back to Crystal Palace?
    He has, yes. That's a big blow for Joel and I feel for the Crystal Palace fans too who were no doubt hoping to see him and Scott Dann involved. Joel twisted his ankle in training and as a result, we have called up Ryan Shawcross from Stoke. Obviously, Ryan was injured at the time of naming the squad but he has recovered now and is fit enough to join us.

Q: Bryan Robson has been criticizing the timing of this match tonight as well as the Premiership having games on Wednesday just gone. Do you agree with that?
    Absolutely! The Under 21's have suffered greatly because Bryan hasn't been able to call upon Raheem Sterling nor Jack Grealish this evening, both of them played on Wednesday which was only 48 hours ago. They then had to fly out yesterday and only managed a light training session this morning with Rio Ferdinand. It's a bit of a joke really but they should be OK for the game against Austria.

Q: There's a few raised eyebrows once again at the sight of Dele Alli on the bench tonight. He's joined by the likes of Reece Oxford, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Luke Shaw. What's your view on that?
    I have every faith in Bryan. He has his reasons for selecting the others ahead of them. We are of a similar mindset and I am sure it'll work out on the pitch either way.

Q: There are 9 new faces in the team tonight. Are there any that you are watching tonight in particular?
    I'm watching all of them at this stage. I don't want to put too much pressure on the players but I am interested to see how Jordan Rossiter, Patrick Roberts ad Will Hughes get on. Hughes, Jake Cooper, Cauley Woodrow and Mark Francis are all 21 years of age as well so they're not too far off joining the national team if all goes well in their careers. Right, kick off is only a few minutes away now so I must dash!

England Under 21's vs. Slovenia Under 21's
    1 - Lewis Ward
    2 - Darnell Furlong
    3 - Patrick Brough
    4 - Jassem Sukar
    5 - Jake Cooper
    6 - Solomon Sambou
    7 - Patrick Roberts
    8 - Jordan Rossiter
    9 - Cauley Woodrow
    10 - Will Hughes
    11 - Mark Francis

Captain Will Hughes and right-back Darnell Furlong are the only players to keep their places from the previous victory over Slovenia although Will Hughes will play centrally in this fixture as opposed to left wing last time out.

Bryan Robson has included Jassem Sukar and Solomon Sambou who have both declared their nationality to England despite being eligible to play for Egypt and The Gambia respectively. Sukar has been impressive at the back for Blackburn who are currently 9th in the Championship while Sambou features for Aldershot in the Conference. In fact, there are three Conference players in the side with Lewis Ward on loan at Harrow Borough and Mark Francis also on loan at Lincoln.

If there were any signs of such inexperience from those players, there weren't any on show as the game got underway and Sukar was quickly in action with a well timed block as Belarus tried to get on the front foot.

Following that, Sambou had the first attempt on target with a well taken shot which was tipped wide for a corner.

Mark Francis with a volley and a Patrick Roberts header were also denied by Belarus' goalkeeper before the goal arrived in the 13th minute.

Cauley Woodrow won the ball in the air, nodding it wide to Patrick Roberts who put his foot on the ball before feeding it to Rossiter. The Liverpool youngster who has broken through this season with 3 assists in 4 starts, had no space to shoot and instead fed Will Hughes. Hughes though, couldn't get past his marker and the ball fell back to Rossiter who tried his luck and scored!

England then had a penalty appeal turned down when Francis was knocked down in the box before Woodrow drove a shot wide of the goal. Belarus then had their first attempt on goal with a header but Ward held it well. A yellow card was then shown to Dmitriy Yakhimovich of Shakhtyor for pulling back Hughes. The resulting free-kick saw a chance for Sambou which he blasted over the bar.

A few minutes later though, it was 2:0 as Hughes jinked his way beautifully past not one, not two but three players before smashing it into the net beyond Mikhailov.

Ward was then in the action again, pushing the ball away superbly from BATE's Vladislav Klimovich before the half-time whistle blew.

After the break, the ever threatening Woodrow put another chance just inches wide of the goal before Ward was forced into a save once more at the other end. Belarus made three changes by the 67th minute as they tried to look for a way back into the game but the game was over within seconds of their third change.

Woodrow once again won possession and fed Roberts to his right. Taking the lead from the goal from Hughes earlier, Roberts embarked on a run to move upfield with the ball, bringing it all the way into the penalty area before dispatching it into the net to make it 3:0.

The game died down a little after that point and we started to see new faces come in. Luke Shaw replaced Patrick Brought at left-back, Ruben Loftus-Cheek arrived to take over from Sambou and Leon Lucas of West Brom took over from Darnell Furlong. All three came on in the last 13 minutes and had little chance to make an impression as England saw out the game for another convincing win and another clean sheet.

The Alphabet Game #3

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Good to see Patrick Brough getting some international recognition...the Carlisle United academy in action!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Akitt For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Superb start all around!

I too think the randomness of squad selction might upset the appl cart but you are correct in the fact that if they are playing (and play well) for the club then they'll get called up!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akitt View Post
    Good to see Patrick Brough getting some international recognition...the Carlisle United academy in action!
    I think it's nice to see the younger lads of the Football League get some recognition at this stage. Too many overhyped youngsters in the EPL who barely play a game IRL that play every game.

Superb start all around!

I too think the randomness of squad selction might upset the appl cart but you are correct in the fact that if they are playing (and play well) for the club then they'll get called up!
    If they're good enough, it shouldn't be a problem anyway
    The Alphabet Game #3

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash

Debuts for Trio in Belarus

Mark Henderson handed debuts to West Ham's Aaron Cresswell, Sunderland's Lee Cattermole and Leicester's Marc Albrighton as England took on Belarus for the second match of the World Cup Qualifiers.

The trio were part of 9 changes to the team that defeated Slovenia 3:0 last time out with only Nathaniel Clyne and Harry Kane remaining in the side while Danny Welbeck was demoted to the bench and Fabian Delph failing to make the bench despite scoring at Wembley.

With Wayne Rooney out injured, the captain's armband was worn by Stoke's Ryan Shawcross who earned hs 7th cap.

England vs. Belarus
    1 - Fraser Forster
    2 - Nathaniel Clyne
    3 - Aaron Creswell
    4 - Ryan Shawcross
    5 - Phil Jones
    6 - Lee Cattermole
    7 - Marc Alrbrighton
    8 - Danny Drinkwater
    9 - Harry Kane
    10 - Jay Rodriguez
    11 - Ashley Young

The game kicked out with England on the front foot almost immediately as Tottenham's Harry Kane volleyed over the bar from an Ashley Young cross.

Lee Cattermole then did well to win possession for the team before playing it to Danny Drinkwater who lobbed it for Harry Kane. Kane nodded it down and Marc Albrighton met it with a smashed in shot which went just wide of the goal.

A free-kick for England after Kane was pushed was then hit into the wall by Aaron Cresswell. Another soon followed from Ashley Young who saw the wall deflect his effort before Ryan Shawcross fired it over the bar.

On the half hour, the woodwork was rattled as a Lee Cattermole long ball was collected by Harry Kane who got himself free of his man before seeing his shot cannon back off the crossbar.

But disaster struck for England when Belarus broke forward and Stanislav Dragun went one on one with Fraser Forster and was brought down in the box. The Southampton stopper gave the referee no choice but to show him the red card, allowing Kislyak to score from the spot with Belarus' first attempt on goal.

Harry Kane had been taken off to make way for Jack Butland who dived the wrong way for the penalty. However, the Stoke goalkeeper was left picking the ball out of the net once again only four minutes later. Skvernyuk made easy work of Nathaniel Clyne on the left wing and got past his man before delivering the ball into the box where Skavysh beat the goalkeeper to the ball to make it 2:0.

There was even time for the hosts to hit the crossbar themselves when Skavysh dribbled his way past both Shawcross and Phil Jones but his shot rattled the bar before being cleared by Clyne.

The half-time whistle was no doubt a relief for the England team who were in need of regrouping.

There were no changes at the break by Henderson and Belarus continued where they left off as Skavysh got past Shawcross but was then fouled by Jones. The free-kick hit the wall and went out of play before Belarus made a change as Dragun was replaced by Bressan.

It could then have been 3:0 to Belarus with Shitov setting up Putsila for a chance that had been pushed aside by Butland. Kalachev should have put it in the net but missed the target.

The 60th minute saw a chance for England at last but Ashley Young's spectacular half-volley went wide before Bressan then hit the bar minutes later for Belarus with a curled effort. Kalachev picked it up but Butland saved the follow-up.

Henderson clearly had enough and made a change as Jay Rodriguez was replaced by Benik Afobe. Rodriguez had been playing in an advanced midfielder role but Afobe was brought on to offer an outlet up front once more since Kane had been withdrawn. Belarus also made a change with Polyakov on for Bordachev.

The tactical change seems to boost the England team who were enjoying chances once again. Afobe connected with a cross from Albrighton before playing it left to Cresswell. It was then moved to Cattermole who teed up Drinkwater for a diving header but the Leicester man sent it wide.

Albrighton though, was on hand to collect a loose ball and managed to dribble his way into the area before shooting at goal. Zhevnov saved it but couldn't hold on to the ball as Albrighton got to the rebound and made it 2:1 with 21 minutes left to play.

But England were then dealt another blow as Drinkwater went off injured and was replaced by Adam Lallana. The Liverpool midfielder almost had an instant impact as he was set up by Albrighton but Zhevnov pushed his shot wide for a corner.

Ryan Shawcross was having a tough time of it at the back but he was strong to execute a tackle on Putsila who had tried to get past him. The ball was collected by Kislyak who wasted no time in passing it to Shitov who set up Kalachev who arrived in the area at the perfect time to shoot beyond Butland and make it 3:1.

Time was running out for England but they weren't throwing in the towel just yet. Adam Lallana looked for Lee Cattermole who had broke forward and was just outside the area. He saw a run from Afobe and slipped a pass through for the Bournemouth striker to pull a goal back for a debut goal.

With 6 minutes left to play, England tried to push through for another goal but Belarus almost scored were it not for a superb save from a Kisylak free-kick by Jack Butland. He then teed up Albrighton who played it on to Afobe. The striker tried to hold up play before going for goal himself but put it well over the bar.

Time was ticking away for England and a yellow card for Lee Cattermole for holding on to Bressan's shirt summed up their luck as the referee soon blew for full-time, leaving England beaten and in 3rd place in their group as Belarus moved to the top.

The Alphabet Game #3

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Was it really necessary to change a winning team at no less than nine positions?

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrkh View Post
    Was it really necessary to change a winning team at no less than nine positions?
    That's the point of this story - To select players in the national according to their performances. So those who play well at the time of selecting a squad will be rewarded for doing so.

Don't forget that 4 of those picked against Slovenia were also injured so couldn't be selected. The others either didn't play enough or started putting in average performances at club level.

I'll try to expand on the selections a bit more from here on in so you know why they've been selected.
    The Alphabet Game #3

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast