Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] Samsami Sungo: The Making of a Football Manager

vCash
    Your Auntie

Got some nice atts there

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

A turning point

So 1984 was a turning point. Our first team were relegated from the National League so they dropped one level and never really recovered from that, although in October 2012 Xerxes would be plucked out of obscurity when they drew mighty Feyenoord in the Dutch Cup Third Round. The match was played at Sparta's Castle Stadium!

But for me and for a couple of my mates 1984 was the year that we got hooked and in 1987 we could finally grab our chance! With our best first team players having left the club over the summer and a new trainer who believed in developing and nurturing young talent some of us 17-year-olds got our chance in two pre-season friendlies against First Division teams Telstar and TOP Oss.

The trainer said three of us would definitely get some game time. Jeffrey de Haan, who was actually not quite 17 yet, as central defender and Michel Smulders and myself as midfielders. Another 17-year old, Henk Maas, skipped training a couple of times and so he was told that he was not ready yet.

And the day before the match I was informed that I would be in the starting lineup! Michel would start on the bench but young Jeffrey was told to have some more patience.

And no, I did not sleep that night!
    Last edited by samsami; 06-08-16 at 11:27 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    A nice role to play in the team, I expect plenty of assists!
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash

My debut match

The night before the match my dad seemed to think it was funny to tease me by playing an old Kinks song over and over again until I got really sick and tired of it. And that night I dreamed that 'the biggest day of my life and the summit of my long career' ended in disaster while 'all of my friends were there; not just my friends, but their best friends too.'
    Spoiler!

But it all went well! And what a game it was! It may only have been a pre-season friendly, but we defeated the (semi-)professional First Division club Telstar in front of a nice crowd of 1.968!

It did not look so good when Telstar scored the opener within ten minutes, but Stephan van der Linden equalised in the first half and Marco Rutten scored in the second half and I must say, I loved every minute of it!!

The trainer was happy with my performance, too. He looked at me in a very curious way, though. It seemed as if he wanted to say something, only he didn't.

Michel only played for 20 minutes or so and he was perfectly invisible, but I knew very well that I had made my mark. I was especially pleased with my passing, which went even better than last season when I played in the youth team with Michel and Jeffrey. Part of the reason it went so well against Telstar was probably that I got to play in my favourite position, just behind the two strikers.

My only regret was that I did not produce an assist.
    Spoiler!

The next day or so the trainer told me that I would play against TOP Oss as well, but that he wanted to try a different formation this time. I wasn't too pleased about that, but at least I would get to play again!

He added that both Jeffrey and Michel would start on the bench. I felt bad for them, of course, but only a tiny little bit.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Oh playing you as a MC do you have enough in your game yet to handle the role? can not wait to see

9. The Following User Says Thank You to drkshadow1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    This is interesting. Xerxes is not a manageble team. So faith decides how your career will continue I guess?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMCZ View Post
    This is interesting. Xerxes is not a manageble team. So faith decides how your career will continue I guess?
    Yes! That is, fate does.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Ah, so you're letting the CPU manage your fortunes? Fair play

Great (unofficial) debut, plenty of potential there.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ah, so you're letting the CPU manage your fortunes? Fair play
    Xerxes is an amateur club. They play two pre-season friendlies and 3 games in the 1st Round League Cup group. Probably no games after that unless they qualify for the next round. But no league games or anything.

vCash
    Ah brilliant - cracking start ther mate - interested to see how this flows!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

My first assist

Just a few days later I played my second game with the first team. This time we lost to TOP Oss, another First Division club, but just before half-time I did it! I put a low cross into the far post where Stephan van der Linden was waiting, totally unmarked, and Stephan fired the ball in low and hard and he scored!

I had just produced my very first assist for the first team!!

We went on to lose the game (2-3) but nevertheless I was probably more excited this time than I had been at my unofficial debut against Testar.

I did not even play as well as I did against Telstar, but I had shown our trainer that I could be as important for the first team as I had been for our youth team the previous year. And he did acknowledge me. And what's more, this time he added: You and I shall need to talk fairly soon about your future!

It seemed he had a plan for me whereas Michel only got to play for twenty minutes again - and once more he failed to impress the trainer and the fans.

This time Jeffrey also go to play the final thirty minutes or so and he did rather well, but you can hardly expect a 16-year-old to prevent TOP Oss from scoring the winning goal.
    Spoiler!

After those two pre-season friendlies Xerxes had to play First Division club Eindhoven, plus two amateur clubs - Spakenburg and Huizen - all in Group 9 of the Dutch Cup.

Suddenly it was getting serious!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

AJ is offline Member of the Month
    Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Upon creating the new players, what reputation did you give them?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    60 passes, nice

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcoolix For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Upon creating the new players, what reputation did you give them?
    I have not created any new players apart from my own character. My reputation (home and world) is zero (0).

AJ is offline Member of the Month
    Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    I have not created any new players apart from my own character. My reputation (home and world) is zero (0).
    could be some time before you get transferred then.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Could add to the story a little bit but again, could mean you're going nowhere for some time.

Nice to see you get your first assist although not as good as the last game. At least you contributed
    The Alphabet Game #3

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    could be some time before you get transferred then.
    Don't worry, it's not ging to be an extremely long story that drags on until he retires at 36 or something

This is the story of the manager Samsami Sungo (who led first Feyenoord, then Spurs and finally Saints to success) and how he came to be a manager. And why Feyenoord were the first to sign him as manager.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Everything going through you - key player with all of the ball

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

My official debut

'My big day, it was the biggest day of my life.
    It was the summit of my long career,
    But I felt so down, and I drank too much beer,
    My manager said that I shouldn't appear..'

Why did I still have that song stuck in my head all day? Surely, there's nothing wrong with having a beer before the match? Surely, not for a 17-year-old? I mean, surely?

So I made my official debut in Xerxes' first cup match against Spakenburg, an amateur club much like Xerxes, except unlike us they had not been relegated that previous year.

It was an away match and there were no goals in the first half, but both teams certainly made up for it in the second half! Spakenburg found the net soon after the break, but then it happened! Richard van den Dungen swung a corner into the box and one of their defenders tried to nod the ball away, but it ended up right in front of my feet and without thinking I drove the ball at goal and found the net! I had scored on my official debut!!

I was overjoyed and the rest of the match was a complete blur. There were three more goals. In fact, Spakenburg equalised within two or three minutes, but it hardly dampened my enthusiasm. What's more, I think I was too excited to notice that we eventually lost the match! Or was it the beer?

Michel did not get any game time. I think the trainer had already lost all confidence in him at that point. Jeffrey did get to play the entire match, but he was clearly struggling. Of course the poor lad was still only sixteen at the time.

After the final whistle I was completely exhausted. It was sheer adrenaline that had kept me going, but I had scored on my debut!!

Spoiler!

I thought the trainer had wanted to talk with me, but he didn't. He must have been too upset about the fact that we had lost our first group match and in retrospect one can hardly blame him. If only we had drawn that first game...

But I could only think about my goal!!
    Last edited by samsami; 04-08-16 at 08:50 AM.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You lost your head after scoring

Well done, nice to get a debut goalscoring start!
    The Alphabet Game #3

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash
    I am interested to see this going for a real long time. Also really cool having a prequal to the stories already written, Keep it up man

37. The Following User Says Thank You to drkshadow1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drkshadow1 View Post
    I am interested to see this going for a real long time. Also really cool having a prequel to the stories already written, Keep it up man
    If you and others keep me motivated by responding and/or clicking 'like' then I will do that. Otherwise I will lose motivation and end this story much sooner.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Please don't let it be a horrible injury that'll end his/your career as a player

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrkh View Post
    Please don't let it be a horrible injury that'll end his/your career as a player
    lol.... the thought had crossed my mind...
    Last edited by samsami; 04-08-16 at 03:55 PM.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post
    lol.... the thought had crossed my mind...
    It could add some (more) drama of course...

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Vrkh For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast