Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] Samsami Sungo: The Making of a Football Manager

vCash

A surprise

An assist against TOP Oss in our pre-season friendly and a goal in my official debut against Spakenburg in the Dutch Cup; so now I had to score the winning goal, or so my dad thought!

We played FC Eindhoven next - the only semi-professional club in our group - and our trainer had decided to revert back to the somewhat risky 3-4-1-2 formation, so I started out as attacking midfielder again. I was more than delighted!
    Spoiler!

Now of course Eindhoven were simply too strong for us and they were actually well on their way to beating us by a wide margin, when Hans van der Ven suddenly came to life and scored twice; his second goal from the spot with just a couple of minutes remaining!

So this was a remarkably good result for us, but obviously not enough to qualify from our group since we had already lost that first match to Spakenburg, which I could not remember too much of.

I played well in my favourite position, but sometimes I felt like our strikers were at a loss what to do or where to move when they were not in possession of the ball and many of my passes ended up in no man's land. I especially found myself enjoying through-passes more and more but my fellow players didn't seem to anticipate them.

This time I did not score, nor did I provide an assist, but I did what I could. Jeffrey did well, too. It was very obvious why Jeffrey and I were the only two youth players who had broken through into the first team.
    Spoiler!

Our trainer finally came and did have that chat with me. To my surprise he said that Xerxes was willing to sell me to a semi-professional team and what did I think of that? After all, I had held my own against several First Division teams, both in pre-season friendlies and now in our Cup match against Eindhoven, or so he said.

Of course my biggest dream was to play for Feyenoord one day, but back in 1987 Feyenoord had not even heard of me yet, so I told him that yes, I would be interested in joining a (semi-)professional team. And then he went on to tell me that both Sparta Rotterdam and Excelsior might just be interested in signing both me and Jeffrey. Apparently they had sent scouts over to watch us play!

I had another sleepless night!
    Last edited by samsami; 06-08-16 at 11:27 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Sparta, the rivals of Feyenoord. That would be funny. :d

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMCZ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMCZ View Post
    That explains the sleepless night

6. The Following User Says Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

AJ is offline Member of the Month
    Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    mmmm, not really rivals anymore. Back in the 60's and 70's. Nowadays we simply don't care about Sparta. I'm quite sure they feel wayyyy different though

- - - Updated - - -

Sungo to Woudestein!I'd buy a season ticket for that!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Wow - possibly switching clubs so quickly - but understandble with form you are showing and interesting to see how you perform at that level

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

My last game for Xerxes

We played our final group match against Huizen and it was a fun game as we managed to turn things around after having been 1-3 down; we suddenly scored three goals to beat them 4-3 in the end!

The match was only for statistics sake, but I played decently although I failed to score a goal or provide an assist - just like against Eindhoven. My mind was elsewhere.

At the time I did not know it, although I was more or less expecting it, but this had been my last game for Xerxes. Jeffrey was hoping the same and he actually played a decent game as well.
    Spoiler!

So we had failed to qualify but hey, we had actually done quite well for a lowly amateur club!

So now I had to wait for news from my trainer and manager!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Great to end off with a win in front of home fans

Some high scoreing games you had!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

Sparta

A day or two after our final group match, I was told that Sparta would be approaching me to talk about a contract, because they had several injured players and they lacked the squad depth they needed to stay in the race for the First Division title and gain promotion to the Premier League.

I immediately liked the idea. My dad didn't. Obviously he did not like Sparta. But me and my friends, we had no problem with them, at least not as much as my dad did.

And so, after some deliberation I decided to go against my dad's advice and accept Sparta's offer. What convinced me was that they said they would pay me a thousand pounds a month! A thousand pounds! That was beyond my wildest dreams! I was so excited, I was beside myself!

Of course I didn't have the foggiest idea what kind of wages Sparta paid their players. This was long before social media and in those days we were ignorant about those kind of things. But I was astounded that I was worth so much money to Sparta!

The thought never occurred to me that the club had not offered me the contract to do me a favour. I innocently thought that this was the best day in my life and I was more than happy to sign this lucrative contract and become rich quickly!

And so the deal was done. And dad was upset, I was delighted and my friends envied me. That about sums it up. Apart from having to add that I was been very naive and ignorant.

Personally, I thought that I was going to be paid handsomely, but I also thought that Sparta was getting a highly talented player in me. My brief career with Xerxes had definitely boosted my confidence.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by samsami; 07-08-16 at 09:51 AM.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Wish I got paid a thousands pounds each week

I agree with Dad, bad choice of clubs.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Wish I got paid a thousands pounds each week

I agree with Dad, bad choice of clubs.

But this was 1,000 per month, I'm afraid. It seemed a lot for a 17-year-old back in 1987 of course, but stay tuned!
    Last edited by samsami; 07-08-16 at 01:42 PM.

Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by samsami View Post

But this was 1,000 per month, I'm afraid.
    haha, Sparta cheap bastards.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    You are playing football AND getting paid for it!

17 years old, you have only played 3 games and yet think you are underpaid

Primadonna already!

Maybe it's people like you that turned football into the crazy world of money it is now by being unhappy with a wage millions of other kids would be happy with playing the sport they love

Rant over

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post

I expect a lot of
    'Wants to be paid what he deserves' and
    'Thinks the clubs valuation of him is unrealistic'

in Lil' Diva Sungo's carreer.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMCZ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redknapp69 View Post
    Primadonna already!
    Maybe it's people like you that turned football into the crazy world of money it is now by being unhappy with a wage millions of other kids would be happy with playing the sport they love
    Rant over
    Funny boy!

But please don't get me wrong. In the story the 17-year-old Samsami said, in 1987: What convinced me was that they said they would pay me a thousand pounds a month! A thousand pounds! That was beyond my wildest dreams! I was so excited, I was beside myself!

vCash

I expect a lot of
    'Wants to be paid what he deserves' and
    'Thinks the clubs valuation of him is unrealistic'
    in Lil' Diva Sungo's carreer.
    The happy lad will not be happy for long. I can tell you that much.

vCash
    Oh no i smell trouble brewing! i can't wait

29. The Following User Says Thank You to drkshadow1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Interesting and very brave move. Let's hope it doesn't divide your family!

Keep it up!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CMAdventurer For This Useful Post:

vCash

Money, money, money...

It did not take long for the first first sign of trouble to appear. In my excitement I had mentioned to my new mates at Sparta at a training session or something, that even in my wildest dreams I had never imagined earning as much as a thousand pounds a month as a 17-year-old fresh out of high school. I noticed some of the lads looked at me as if I was weird and I could swear that I heard Lorenzo Rimkus snigger.

I did not find out the facts until later, but the truth is that I was paid far less than any first team player and also quite a bit less than all but three of Sparta's reserves. In fact, even 16-year-old Lorenzo received almost seven times as much as I was going to get, the young brat! And he was a midfielder, like me, but playing with the reserves.
    Spoiler!

And I made another disappointing discovery that first week. Sparta employed a 4-3-3 formation and although Van der Berg (20) was injured, they still had five other players who could all play as midfielders: Monteiro (24), Bouchiba (22), De Fouw (20), Mendes da Silva (19) and Verweij (19). So I began to wonder if they even needed me all that much?

And sure enough, I found out that that I would be starting on the bench (seated next to Lorenzo and Bouchiba!) when we would play Volendam at home in our next match.

Of course that was only to be expected. But at the time it was a bitter disappointment for me, although I still hoped against hope to get at least some game time against Volendam.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Official Challenge Team
    VIP
    Holy Trinity Member
    vCash
    Ride your bike to the training?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ For This Useful Post:

vCash
    they have taken you for a ride! i hope you can impress quickly and get away from them, This is child slavery!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to drkshadow1 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Can you moan any more?!

Why should you be paid more when you have played 3 games?

Did you expect to get in the first team straight away?

Keep your head down and work for your place!

*Thinks Sungo has a bad attitude
    Last edited by Redknapp69; 08-08-16 at 01:17 PM.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    samsami does like to comment though Nice to see you get a move, hope you break into the team quickly. Need to focus on development instead of the bank balance,
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

vCash

Idealism hits reality

So I started on the bench when we played FC Volendam, together with two other midfielders, Bouchiba and Lorenzo, of all people!

We were supposed to be the better team and it was a home game, but Volendam scored the early opener and then Monteiro had to go off injured. All three of us midfielders looked hopefully at the manager, but he picked Bouchiba so Lorenzo and I realised we probably would not get a chance today.

The second half had barely started when Volendam had a defender sent off and we were awarded a penalty! So now Volendam had to finish the game with ten men. Marilia missed penalty though and then, to my surprise the manager suddenly looked and me and told me to get ready! Five minutes later Bouchibo was brought off and I got my chance!

Of those forty minutes or so I remember two moments very vividly. Or three moments, actually.

The first one was when I headed the ball to Sanou who should have scored, only his shot hit a defender. The other instance was when I received the ball and found myself in lots of space. I tried to smash the ball towards goal but it was easy prey for the Volendam goalkeeper. Other than those two moments I remember nothing except the final whistle and the jeering of the crowd.

We had lost to 10-man Volendam and I had failed to be important to the team.

According to the official player ratings I did well enough for a substitute. But that's not how I remember my first game for Sparta.
    Spoiler!

After the match the manager said very little to me but I could tell I had been weighed and found wanting.

Lorenzo was the only one who did not seem upset that day. I went home, bitterly disappointed.

When I got back to my apartment my typewriter was sitting there on my desk, with a blank sheet of paper ready for me to write home about the match as I had promised my dad I would do every week.

I looked at my typewriter and without knowing what I was doing I picked the darn thing up and threw it out of the window!

I felt as low as only a 17-year-old can.

Should I have stayed at Xerxes? Or should I give up on my dream?

43. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Not sure why you feel like you do

Came on and did well - looks like you got superkeepered and just a bad day at the office for the team - no slant on yourself

Certianly seems like young Sungo needs to get better from a mentality side though for the rigours of professional football - far too emotional!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Redknapp69 For This Useful Post:

vCash

The reserve team

The emotions of a 17-year-old go up and down, even daily, and of course my depression did not last. I bought a new typewriter and obviously I stayed with the club.

By the way, it goes without saying that the report in the gossip column in later years about what supposedly happened after a crucial match against Chelsea is exactly that, mere gossip!
    Spoiler!

Anyway, I played my weekly games with the Sparta reserves and although I was still somewhat disappointed, at least I got to play football again.

And I must add that I liked the formation and the playing style of our reserve team much better. Our coach actually talked with me and he put me in a more attacking position. Not quite my favourite number 10 position, but close enough.

Thinking back now I can say that I have always loved a role where I could create good shooting and goal-scoring opportunities using my vision, control, and technical skill, by making crosses, through balls and headed knockdowns to teammates.

Be that as it may, in those early days we usually played our games before a mere handful of fans, but at least we won most of the time! And slowly, as the weeks went by I began to enjoy myself again and gradually I developed into a better and more mature player.

I actually scored a goal as well, in my second match with the reserves against the reserve team of MVV. I remember the ball fell to me and I hit it high and hard towards goal, probably with my eyes closed, and it went in off the bar.

It felt good to know that I could still be important!
    Spoiler!

Meanwhile, our first team was struggling badly.

Sparta desperately needed promotion, but the start of the season did not look very promising. In fact, if things did not change soon, the manager might very well be fired before Christmas!

Last edited by samsami; 10-08-16 at 07:52 AM.

47. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to samsami For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast