Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Legends Database

vCash

Legends Database

The Legends Database

As some of you may know, the Legends database had been in the pipeline for quite some time. Before the recent switch to the new server, most of our work had been done via researching the playerhistory.com website and posting our findings into threads in a private forum while no editor work had been done on the database itself.

However - Due to the downtime of the playerhistory.com website during their revamp, things had been on hold for quite some time. The website is now back up and running but unfortunately the revamped website saw that it was no longer possible to filter their database by nation, a tool which we heavily relied upon. This bad news along with the recent switch to the new server meant that our work has been lost.

As a result, I have decided to continue with the project but change the initial plan. Originally we had intended to release our database as a complete database after all our research had come to an end. But now, I have begun the process of going through each player individually on the playerhistory.com website and adding them directly into the database. Each time I then hit the magical 1,000 players mark, I'll upload the database for your leisure here. You must bear in mind that each time I do so, it will still be a work in progress so do not be disappointed if you find certain legendary players aren't yet in the database.

I'll explain the process and reasons behind my thinking of editing players within the database:

What makes a player a Legend?

By looking at the appearances history of every player at playerhistory.com, I am able to determine whether a player has played 100+ times for any club. Only players who have managed to pass the 100 appearances mark will be included in the database. The only exception is if a player has been internationally capped and you'll find them available to sign as a freebie.

How have you worked out their ages?

Every player's age has been set so that it reflects their age when they first joined their club to add a bit of realism to the game. In the case of players who are unattached, their age reflects the year they started their career.

Why are the caps/goals appearing?

I have added the full caps/goals of players in as a breadcrumb trail to help me remember that I have edited them personally. The final release of the Legends database will see that they have been removed.

How has the contracts length been worked out?

Every player's start year has been set to 2000. The length of their contract depends on the amount of years they spent at the club. So for example, George Best spent 11 years at Man Utd so he will be given a 11 year contract.

Why do some players have clubs assigned in the Favourite Clubs field

The top three teams that a player has played for in their career will be listed in their fields. Again, it's to add a touch of realism and will also help prevent players from getting unhappy at the club once you start a new game.

How have you worked out their attributes

I haven't touched a single attribute in the database. The database is based on the data provided from the 3.9.68 database and before I began any work, I firstly removed all players from the database who had zero's spread across their attributes (and also abilities/reputations). What I've actually done is overwritten existing players in the 3.9.68 database to ensure the players have attributes already assigned to them. This was done as a result of the very first BETA that I released around two years ago where I had actually created players from scratch without any attributes thus leading to players looking extremely poor in the game itself.

As a side note, the traits of a player has also been left untouched.

How about current/potential abilities?

For players who have been capped, I have altered their CA/PA as well as their reputations. In the case of Tony Adams who played for England 66 times:

current ability = 166
    potential ability = -2
    home reputation = 66
    current reputation = 66
    world reputation = 66

Every International player has 100+ CA depending on the amount of caps they accumulated. If a player managed over 100 caps, they'll have 200 as their CA. All International players will also be given -2 as their PA. Their caps are also set as their reputations which is designed to ensure they are selected by their nation in the game itself.

With regards to players who do not have an international cap, their CA/PA will be left well alone whilst all three reputations fields will be set to 0. This is also designed to prevent any call-up's to their national squad.

How about positions?

I have edited positions according to the data that playerhistory.com has given me. In some cases, the website only informs me that the player is a 'defender' instead of being more specific. As a result, I'll have left a 0 in the sides of the position so the game will generate the side randomly.

What about the histories of a player?

Before starting work on the database, I also used zozoa's history tool to remove all histories from the database. But the game will not run unless at least one player has histories set so just one random player has histories. I may revisit this at a later date.

Can I help?

Yes, you can! Feedback is the most important thing after each one of a release so you can provide feedback in this thread for me. Please note that I am not going to add players into the database by your requests although I am happy to edit the attributes/abilities or reputations of players that I have already put into the database. That also includes positional changes and whether the player should actually be at a different team.

It is also worth noting that you'll find every single original player of the 3.9.68 that I've not yet replaced available as a free transfer. Eventually as the project continues, these players will be weeded out and replaced by the actual legends of football so all I ask for is a little patience and to just enjoy the chance of managing those ODB legends while you can
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!
    Click here to find out more and join in!

vCash
    Download Links

Version 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ljdm9q

Screenshots:
    Spoiler!

Version 2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ygo3at

Screenshots:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Mark; 27-04-12 at 04:05 PM.
    The Alphabet Game #3
    Try your luck at winning any trophy in your game but you must go in order from A-Z in the alphabet!

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Think I might actually give this a whirl some time soon. The amount of work that has been put in to it is fantastic.

I will have a look at the Manchester City squad and let you know about any tweaks or attributes I feel need handing out.

vCash
    so you gonna do that all by yourself?

vCash
    Yep and I've quit updating for the ODB team as a result to dedicate more time to it. It's a good job I enjoy it
    Last edited by Mark; 27-03-12 at 01:29 PM.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Good job Mark, I know how time consuming a job like this can take, but with that aside.....awesome :o)

vCash
    Wonderful stuff Mark.

I should be able to offer plenty of feedback, and I have a legends database for FM 10 which I can give you some screenshots of for positions and stats.

One small thing (you knew that was coming seeing it was me ). I'm still not sure on the CA/PA system. Seeing the players have all retired were possible shouldn't an exact PA be assigned and not a negative PA, except maybe maybe for some obscure or pre-war players were knowledge is hard to find?

I'll download this now anyway mate, and can send you some screenshots for some of the players as they are in that FM 10 database if you like?

vCash
    Nice start on Newcastle mate.
    Waddle AML though surely?
    And Beardsley possibly Fwd?

If you need a list of players for Newcastle let me know.
    Our forward line is going to be immense!
    Shearer, Milburn, Hughie Gallacher, Super Mac,

Lucky Keegan and Andy Cole will be elsewhere! They'd never get a game!!

Great work mate

vCash
    Have you edited the positions of players already on 3.9.68? Pires, Ljungberg, Berg and Parlour (I think) all have different positions to what I remember them having.

vCash
    very nice idea, i'll try to help you if i can

vCash
    Had a look at that website player historys, would be good if you could filter out a specific club and a specific year, say Stoke City and anyone who played there from 1992-1993.

vCash
    I got knowledge of swedes

316'sRegen Unattached
    Massive undertaking Mark, best of luck with it mate
    a labour of love makes it feel less like work though.

This data will make for a tasty network game though, looking forward to checking out the LEGENDS!

Can't wait to see if John Charles is in there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Wonderful stuff Mark.

I should be able to offer plenty of feedback, and I have a legends database for FM 10 which I can give you some screenshots of for positions and stats.

One small thing (you knew that was coming seeing it was me ). I'm still not sure on the CA/PA system. Seeing the players have all retired were possible shouldn't an exact PA be assigned and not a negative PA, except maybe maybe for some obscure or pre-war players were knowledge is hard to find?

I'll download this now anyway mate, and can send you some screenshots for some of the players as they are in that FM 10 database if you like?
    Well, I've come up with the system that works for me and I'm sticking to it for the time being. -2's generate high potential anyway so I don't see what the issue is really. A bit of randomness in the game is a good thing and that's what was so special about the original database. Maybe at the end of the project, I'll take suggestions on board for the final release but for the time being (and especially during this production stage), it's a hell of a lot easier and quicker for me to research players this way and get them into the database.

Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Nice start on Newcastle mate.
    Waddle AML though surely?
    And Beardsley possibly Fwd?

If you need a list of players for Newcastle let me know.
    Our forward line is going to be immense!
    Shearer, Milburn, Hughie Gallacher, Super Mac,

Lucky Keegan and Andy Cole will be elsewhere! They'd never get a game!!

Great work mate
    I'll correct Beardsley and Waddle for you

As for a list of players, like I said at the end of the opening post - I'm not taking requests to add players in as no doubt I'll come across them in between each version that I release.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Have you edited the positions of players already on 3.9.68? Pires, Ljungberg, Berg and Parlour (I think) all have different positions to what I remember them having.
    Yes. As I said in the opening post, I amended them according to what I've found on playerhistory.com. If it's not right, feel free to post up the correct positions here

Quote Originally Posted by MrFoo View Post
    Had a look at that website player historys, would be good if you could filter out a specific club and a specific year, say Stoke City and anyone who played there from 1992-1993.
    That used to be possible on the website. It's a shame really as playerhistory was tremendous before the revamp and now it's damn hard to find what you want.
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by swedishcmgod View Post
    I got knowledge of swedes
    I've already covered a few Swedes but I can't remember if it's in this batch of 1,000 players or the next batch... Either way, when you download them and see any mistakes, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_3_16 View Post
    Massive undertaking Mark, best of luck with it mate

This data will make for a tasty network game though.

Can't wait to see if John Charles is in there
    Erm... You may be disappointed I'm sure I'll come across him soon though, it's just whether he'll be in the next batch or not...

Suppose it'll add to the anticipation of each release though
    The Alphabet Game #3

316'sRegen Unattached
    He was known as the "gentle giant" Legendary Welshman who ended up at Juve and scored loads for us

Definitely will be good to get each new release and find new legends in there each time.

Trying to get interest for a new weekly network game at the minute and I think this will help bigtime :YES:

vCash
    Cheers for the answers mate. I'd have thought the positions already given in 3.9.68 are more accurate than what's listed on player history so there'd be no need to change them. IIRC Pires and Ljungberg were both AM R/L/C, Parlour was a M R/C, and Berg D R/C.

Do you want me to send you screenies of the attributes/positions for any players you've done that are part of this FM 10 database I have?

vCash
    John Charles can't not be in there. You just won't have got round to him yet I'd imagine.
    He'll be at Leeds.
    Equally as good at centre half than centre forward and one of the few Brits to be a hit in Italy.

vCash
    That's what I mean, it's not just English based players I'm covering here. It's players from all over the world so if a player isn't yet in there, I just haven't come across him yet
    The Alphabet Game #3

vCash
    We'll give you time mate don't worry.
    Massive undertaking!
    As I said, any help you need let me know.

vCash
    Don't know if these are any use, but these are the stats for Dalglish in the editor on that FM 2010 database I was talking about.

Jesus is offline Official Challenge Team
    Social Media Team
    vCash
    Once you have finished the database, will you be taking attribute suggestions?

For example Uwe Rosler at Man City has a finishing of 8 which is, in my opinion, vastly under rated. I know you said you've just over written players but it's just something I wondered about.

Horlock and Whitley are more defensive minded (DMCs), and Tiatto was a Wing Back (DL/DML). Edgehill and Sun Jihai spot on though position wise

vCash
    I'm sure you said you were taking positional thoughts..

I'm sure i saw Hagi was a M L

but maybe he needs to be Attacking Midfielder, Left and Centre..

peace

KUTGW

vCash
    fantastic opening post Mark and good luck with it all.

Amazed by the amount of questions that you have to re-answer, am sure no one reads the OP.

good Luck

vCash
    Shaping up nicely

It takes a while as there is so many news articles about player bids etc, but looks great!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast