Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    So happy with that.... I don't even care if we medal anymore

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fods View Post
    The whole thing is a fucking joke, it's a chance for amateurs to shine, to make a name for themselves..,,,,then they introduce professional sports... ....That's ok if amateurs play the event, but no, professional players are playing professional sports in the Olympics which is as amateur event. I'm confused.
    Amateur event?? It once was for amateurs, now it's the biggest event for many sports, a tournament where the greatest athletes come together. For many sportsmen/women a chance to score the highest achievement in their sports. (with a few exceptions like cycling and soccer.) Most athletes dedicate 4 years of their life to perform in this tournament. Dreams crushed in a few minutes or total glory. What's the "amateur" part in this??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Forrest View Post
    Show me a properly conducted study that demonstrates benefits more than just within the range of the placebo effect.... oh wait, there aren't any.... that's because there is zero evidence that it does anything other than leave a giant hickey on the skin.... and it can be dangerous if done wrong

Spoiler!

It is pseudo-scientific nonsense..... like blood letting or leeching or eating ground up tiger penis.....
    You're in the wrong here. It's well known in China. Be it placebo or not, I believe it helps. There is not a lot of scientific research on natural medicine mate. They want you to eat drugs, swallow pills.

You don't need scientific research for this. It rises blood pressure in those areas cup suction is applied too, it relaxes muscles and helps them regenerate due to increased blood flow.

However, I feel, like in 10 years, someone will do to Phelps what someone did to Lance. He will be deemed not clean aka used illegal substances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMCZ View Post
    Amateur event?? It once was for amateurs, now it's the biggest event for many sports, a tournament where the greatest athletes come together. For many sportsmen/women a chance to score the highest achievement in their sports. (with a few exceptions like cycling and soccer.) Most athletes dedicate 4 years of their life to perform in this tournament. Dreams crushed in a few minutes or total glory. What's the "amateur" part in this??
    "It once was for amateurs"

Exactly my point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CMCZ View Post
    The thing most 'amateur' about this particular Olympics would be the host Brazil and their administration/infrastructure.

Watching the highlights yesterday, I noticed quite a number of gold medalists mentioning that they have waited 8-10 years for that moment. One of them missed the last one due to injury and had to wait 8 years. Others were young teenagers who trained since young.

I've been following my own countryman, Joseph Schooling's exploits and he has a good chance of getting Singapore's first ever gold medal in the Olympics. Read an article about him yesterday and when he was 7, he was trying to wake his father up at 4.30am so that he could go train in the pool!

The 100m butterfly final will be on soon. Can't wait to see him in action!

*update* 1st ever Olympic gold for Singapore and a new Olympic record by Joseph Schooling! Woohoo!!

Here's a pic of Schooling with his idol Phelps back in 2008 & present.

https://twitter.com/CelebrityUsers/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    Last edited by drown; 13-08-16 at 03:35 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drown For This Useful Post:

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by info0 View Post
    You're in the wrong here. It's well known in China. Be it placebo or not, I believe it helps. There is not a lot of scientific research on natural medicine mate. They want you to eat drugs, swallow pills.
    Actually, there is a lot of scientific research on alternative and natural medicine.... the stuff that works becomes "medicine" and the stuff that doesn't stays as "alternative" or "traditional" medicine. The majority of our medicine comes originally from natural sources. They isolate the active compound, purify it, study the proper dosages, and find a way to deliver it in an accurate and controlled manner. This is why we take an aspirin or two when we have a headache, rather than trying to guess how much willow tree bark we should chew...

Quote Originally Posted by info0 View Post
    You don't need scientific research for this. It rises blood pressure in those areas cup suction is applied too, it relaxes muscles and helps them regenerate due to increased blood flow.
    You're going to use a youtube video as evidence? please... you can find a video for absolutely anything on youtube.... it's worse than useless as a research tool....

a) your blood pressure can't rise in specific areas only... it either rises or falls as a whole
    b) it only increases blood flow to the surface of the skin when it breaks the capillaries and causes bruises and welts.... it does nothing to deep tissue or the actual muscles themselves
    c) of the 550 studies done on cupping since 1958, they all show signs of poor quality and a high risk of bias. The only thing they showed any success for (above the placebo effect rate that is) was shingles. The most recent randomized control trial was done in 2013 and looked at muscle pain specifically... it showed no more effectiveness than simply letting the muscles rest on their own

You might as well go back to using leeches or letting out some of your blood to relieve your ill humours.... it will have the same effectiveness

Anyway

vCash
    I tried the cupping whilst I lived in China... it had no noticeable effect, other than the welts. Proper massage on the other hand does/did wonders for my back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapinoe For This Useful Post:

vCash
    The only cupping I've tried is when my Mrs cups my balls when she's giving me a blowie!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fods For This Useful Post:

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    That kind doesn't leave marks if she does it right....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Forrest For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Michael Conlan robbed of a medal today, absolutely stunned

vCash
    the fall out from this is going to be amazing...

hes already Picking a WHOLE NEW kind of fight!!!

https://twitter.com/mickconlan11/sta...87723457589248

vCash
    I believe their was an even more farcical judging last night in a gold medal bout.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...on-allegations

decent article about corruption before the games with the boxing.

vCash
    Gatlin didn't make the final of the 200m

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Good!

vCash
    Didn't he get massively "booed" at the 100m final?

vCash
    I'd say he gets booed when he sit's down to dinner at home at this stage.

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    He fucked up.... he was going through as one of the top 2 in the heat, then he eased off at the line and got passed..... stupid mistake, and he paid for it

Blake didn't make it either....

De Grasse did though

vCash
    Nigeria bronze metal....
    Or not just Hondura make the 2-3

vCash
    Brasil with Olympic gold beating Germany on pens 5-4. Good stuff.

Nigeria with Bronze too.

vCash
    [/url]

Germany's line up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12