Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympics 2016

vCash

Olympics 2016

So the first event of the Rio Olympics, the women's football, kicks off today. The whole build up to the games has been largely overshadowed by controversy surrounding Zika virus, doping, and unsafe venues/areas, such as the filthy Rio water.

What events are people looking forward to/looking out for?

vCash
    If they started with the mens 100m sprint I don't think I'd watch another event. Maybe the football for a bit of scouting purposes.

316'sRegen Unattached
    I like the swimming and I hope they have kept the BMX'ing
    Generally I enjoy the whole thing though, love the big international events and they don't get any bigger.
    There's always a strange or unexpected sport that catches on during the Olympics, I wonder what it will be this time?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 316'sRegen View Post
    There's always a strange or unexpected sport that catches on during the Olympics, I wonder what it will be this time?
    Women's Laser Radial Class Sailing in 2012 Olympics

Annalise Murphy dominated then capitulated

vCash
    A fella I went to school with is competing in the showjumping, Padraig McCarthy

Craig Forrest is offline Manager
    Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Canada women's footy team plays 'Straya..... Yanks are up against the Kiwis.....

I'm sure I'll have the games on the TV while I'm doing other stuff around the house so I'll catch a bunch of events I wouldn't normally watch

vCash
    Probably just golf and football!!

vCash
    Very low on the radar isn't it!

I'm assuming the Beeb has it on TV in UK? Will prob catch what I can - would guess most of it at a watchable time inj UK as may only be a few hours behind (depending where in country - 3 I think?)

vCash
    Everyone absolutely gripped by the Olympics I see

Well done IOC on being gutless.

316'sRegen Unattached
    BBC red button.
    Free app added to the PS4 menu as well allowing you to watch whatever is live at that moment (it's also through BBC Sport)

Is it just that the main sports haven't kicked in yet? I've heard no-one talking about the Olympics at all.

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    I've been watching as much as I can, as have many of us over here..... just not really talking about it on the site

I know we're never expected to do well at the Summer games, but I watch and support. We've done pretty well in the swimming.... and our ladies 7s beat GB for the bronze.... volleyball going well, Women's footy too.... judo and fencing have been fun to watch.... track and field gets started soon

I'm getting live streams on CBC.ca, and I've got it on in the background at home when I'm doing other things

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Interesting to note that Yulia Efimova, the Russian swimmer getting booed, was actually reinstated on the advice of WADA...... so the anti-doping agency that looked into the systematic cheating by some members of the Russian sports federation, actually told the International Swimming Federation that Efimova should be reinstated.....

vCash
    I can't believe those Russians are comparing the 'cupping' treatment that Michael Phelps had to their own doping. It's a Chinese method much like acupuncture which doesn't really add anything physically into the body but rather improve the blood circulation.

Men's soccer
    Brazil 0-0 South Africa
    Brazil 0-0 Iraq

vCash
    Neymar hat trick in last group game and then they go on to win the whole thing!!

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drown View Post
    I can't believe those Russians are comparing the 'cupping' treatment that Michael Phelps had to their own doping. It's a Chinese method much like acupuncture which doesn't really add anything physically into the body but rather improve the blood circulation.

Men's soccer
    Brazil 0-0 South Africa
    Brazil 0-0 Iraq
    Doesn't even do that.... cupping has about as much benefit as applying leeches.... placebo effect and nothing more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Forrest View Post
    Doesn't even do that.... cupping has about as much benefit as applying leeches.... placebo effect and nothing more
    I disagree with it being just placebo effect even though there isn't sufficient scientific research done into it. There is suction created and heat applied to the body during cupping and this itself is physiological.

In any case, it did help Phelps win a couple more gold medals whether mentally or physically.

vCash
    The whole thing is a fucking joke, it's a chance for amateurs to shine, to make a name for themselves..,,,,then they introduce professional sports... ....That's ok if amateurs play the event, but no, professional players are playing professional sports in the Olympics which is as amateur event. I'm confused.

Official Challenges Mod
    Programmer
    Forum Enforcer
    VIP
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drown View Post
    I disagree with it being just placebo effect even though there isn't sufficient scientific research done into it. There is suction created and heat applied to the body during cupping and this itself is physiological.

In any case, it did help Phelps win a couple more gold medals whether mentally or physically.
    Show me a properly conducted study that demonstrates benefits more than just within the range of the placebo effect.... oh wait, there aren't any.... that's because there is zero evidence that it does anything other than leave a giant hickey on the skin.... and it can be dangerous if done wrong

Spoiler!

It is pseudo-scientific nonsense..... like blood letting or leeching or eating ground up tiger penis.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    A fella I went to school with is competing in the showjumping, Padraig McCarthy
    This guy Derm?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/rio-2016...16-7-olympics/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermotron View Post
    Women's Laser Radial Class Sailing in 2012 Olympics
    Time to climb on the bandwagon once again

21. The Following User Says Thank You to colml For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfatz View Post
    Blocked already Ebz. They must be spending a fortune blocking every Olympic clip on the web

Silver in the rowing pairs from a pair of legends. "go from A to B as fast as you can and pull like a dog". So refreshing from a sport usually steeped in private education and general upper classes

vCash
    Did notice it was nowhere to be found on YouTube!!

vCash
    "Mick Conlan said he'd box the head off us if we didn't win gold"

vCash
    Legends. Seem like genuinely normal and sound fellas. Talking to BBC: "We better be careful what we say to these lads", and saying Tiocfaidh Ár Lá to rte

vCash
    Yank women for the first time ever are not gonna win a medal in football!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast